Post-Game Talk: Game #25: Blackhawks 2, Canucks 1 - Six goals? Nah, one goal will do fine...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BillP

Oct 24, 2012
Canada
Back to Luongo as the scapegoat? C'mon...
Keep pushing, it's a team full of vets and there's no reason to panic yet.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Probably cant reward him right away after sitting him, but I would really like to see a PP with kassian in front of the net, henrik, daniel, kesler at one point, edler at the other.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Back to Luongo as the scapegoat? C'mon...
Keep pushing, it's a team full of vets and there's no reason to panic yet.

I'm with you on that one Bill. If they were playing poorly I might panic but there's 82 games in a season. Time to get on a roll and put a string of wins together.

Lord Flacko*

Those saying Burrows suck are doing nothing more than stat-scouring. He's been all over the puck, winning battles and getting into the dirty places on the ice. Just can't find the back of the net.

Ding ding ding!!!

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
When I watch us play top teams like that the lack of young, offensive depth on the Canucks compared to those teams is concerning. Each team has their top players, after that the Canucks have a lot of grinders where these teams are rolling out fast, energetic, young and skilled players. We spend a lot of time handling other teams forwards.

Luongo played well, can't blame him. Just not well enough to steal it. But I honestly don't think he's got that in him anymore so this is what we have to work with. No excuse though, just couldn't get many great chances against Chicago. Keith is just such a good skater he can eliminate the Sedins almost himself.

Basically, right now we just don't stack up against the top Western teams.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Christ on a crutch, it's like CDC in here with all the Luongo hate, anyone would think he let in five last night. :shakehead Yet again he gave our team a chance to win that yet again they didn't take.

The offence is awful, they couldn't score in a brothel, the twins really do need to show up against a top team once in a while, Burrows, Kesler, Hansen and Higgins are now (have always been?) top third liners, but they really should be putting some of the chances they had away. Every game they make the opposition goalie look great. Time to trade some of the above?

The defence make not give up all that many chances, but what they do give up are gilt-edged, they really need to tighten up.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
It certainly sounded like you were blaming Luongo for our recent record. However while Luongo may not be playing at his best, looking at the numbers it seems pretty clear that he is not the reason for this current slump - he has been performing well above average, while the offense is well below.

Meh. Just look at LA the year they won the Cup and what Quick was able to do for them in the regular season. For his salary, Luongo needs to be providing similar type of impact in those low scoring, tight games.

I'm one of the people that defends his performance in the SCF because in that case, the team truly couldn't score enough to even give him that one goal margin. That's not really the case here. Luongo is just straight up blowing tight games on a regular basis.

StringerBell

Christ on a crutch, it's like CDC in here with all the Luongo hate, anyone would think he let in five last night. :shakehead Yet again he gave our team a chance to win that yet again they didn't take.

The offence is awful, they couldn't score in a brothel, the twins really do need to show up against a top team once in a while, Burrows, Kesler, Hansen and Higgins are now (have always been?) top third liners, but they really should be putting some of the chances they had away. Every game they make the opposition goalie look great. Time to trade some of the above?

The defence make not give up all that many chances, but what they do give up are gilt-edged, they really need to tighten up.

No hate! Just saying we really need the big guy to steal a game or two every once in a while :)

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
When I watch us play top teams like that the lack of young, offensive depth on the Canucks compared to those teams is concerning. Each team has their top players, after that the Canucks have a lot of grinders where these teams are rolling out fast, energetic, young and skilled players. We spend a lot of time handling other teams forwards.

Luongo played well, can't blame him. Just not well enough to steal it. But I honestly don't think he's got that in him anymore so this is what we have to work with. No excuse though, just couldn't get many great chances against Chicago. Keith is just such a good skater he can eliminate the Sedins almost himself.

Basically, right now we just don't stack up against the top Western teams.

duncan-keith-elbow.jpg

He sure can.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
The story of the game tonight is that Chicago's core was better than Vancouver's core.

Which will not change anytime soon.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
About a month ago, for me. Only back then I was the "crazy skeptic" on the board. Now the rest of the fan base sees what I see. I was ripped for saying we won't make the playoffs this year. Ripped for saying we are not a great team this year and ripped for saying we overachieved in October

I don't expect people here lining up to apologize tho and admit they were wrong.

I don't expect people to either. Because it's NOVEMBER. There's still a lot of hockey to be played yet, and while things aren't looking good at the moment there is still time to turn things around. Stranger things have happened.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Our record against playoff teams is not very good. That is what worries me the most.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
Gillis is in a real pickle. The team needs scoring depth...but the only way he gets it is by trading the handful of good prospects the team has.

You just knew at some point the Hawks would pour it on. Loading the top line the way the nucks do won't bode well for them in the playoffs.

Mr Duncan Keith....love him or hate him...he steps up and plays like a boss when it counts.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Meh. Just look at LA the year they won the Cup and what Quick was able to do for them in the regular season. For his salary, Luongo needs to be providing similar type of impact in those low scoring, tight games.

I'm one of the people that defends his performance in the SCF because in that case, the team truly couldn't score enough to even give him that one goal margin. That's not really the case here. Luongo is just straight up blowing tight games on a regular basis.

Okay let's look at what Quick did:

In games where LA scored 1 or fewer goals, Quick's record was 3-13-6. So even the mighty Jonathan Quick who was runner up for the Vezina that year didn't do so well when his team didn't score.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No hate! Just saying we really need the big guy to steal a game or two every once in a while :)

So you're just saying that we need Luongo to be better than the last few Vezina winners (because I only checked back the past 3 years) in their Vezina winning years. No big deal right?

:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad