Post-Game Talk: Game #25: Blackhawks 2, Canucks 1 - Six goals? Nah, one goal will do fine...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Once again. Please provide one example of a poster giving the offense a free pass. Just ONE and you might have a reason to be standing on your soap-box.

You seem to just have a problem with people that say the both the offense AND goaltending could be better.

How about this?

Not really sure you wanna start comparing Luongo's goaltending to Vezina winning goaltending :laugh:

I just wanna see Lu come in and shut the door in a tight, low scoring game. It's been too long!

Basically saying it's on Luongo that we lost because it was a tight scoring game and he let in a bad goal.

Well no, Luongo holding the best offensive team in the league to 2 goals is not being a problem at all. The offense only scoring 1 goal against a team that's been below average defensively this year is a real big problem. Yet the talk is about how Luongo needs to steal us games, instead of this offense needs to just do their damn job. No one is saying the offense needs to steal us games...just be a ****ing competent offense!

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
How about this?

Basically saying it's on Luongo that we lost because it was a tight scoring game and he let in a bad goal.

Well no, Luongo holding the best offensive team in the league to 2 goals is not being a problem at all. The offense only scoring 1 goal against a team that's been below average defensively this year is a real big problem. Yet the talk is about how Luongo needs to steal us games, instead of this offense needs to just do their damn job. No one is saying the offense needs to steal us games...just be a ****ing competent offense!

He didn't say it was on Lou. He said he'd like him to come in and close the door. Please refer to my post earlier about the Principle of Charity.

..Or you know... don't.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Definitely flawed without question. There is no counterpart of a goalie in the CFL/NFL.

Seriously?? NHL goalies scoring a goal is an outlier.

Luongo says he did not do his job last night, but then what would he know, eh?

Right back at you as any number of posters have noted in this thread.

Right because, you know, it's SOOOO logical to blame the goalie in a game where you lose 2-1, during a string where the offense has put up 1 goal in 5 of the last 7 games. :help: :shakehead

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
It's difficult for me to comprehend how exactly goaltending is an issue when our starter gives up 2 or fewer in 75% of his starts. It's difficult for me to comprehend why goaltending dominates the discussions when it's blatantly obvious that 99% of the blame rests solely on the shoulders of our inept offense!

It's very simple - Luongo has been below average this season and the offense has been below average.

The offense will need to be much better to have a chance at the playoffs and Luongo will need to figure out a way to carry James Reimer's jockstrap too.

Luongo has been outplayed more often than not this season - as has the offense. Both of these things will need to change.

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
Actual quote:

It's very simple - Luongo has been below average this season and the offense has been below average.

The offense will need to be much better to have a chance at the playoffs and Luongo will need to figure out a way to carry James Reimer's jockstrap too.

Luongo has been outplayed more often than not this season - as has the offense. Both of these things will need to change.

What Y2K sees:

The offense will need to be much better to have a chance at the playoffs and
Luongo will need to figure out a way to carry James Reimer's jockstrap too.

StringerBell

How about this?

Haha come on guy, we both know I didn't say it's all on Lu. Can we at least agree on that??

Brenton Williams

Feb 6, 2006

Exactly.

{Mod}

Last edited by a moderator:

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Actual quote:

What Y2K sees:

If Luongo is seen as being below average, then how can one suggest the offense has been below average? If Luongo has been below average then the offense has been downright putrid.

Luongo's 2.08GAA .921SVP in November suggests he's been quite good. His 3-3-3 record in November suggests that the offense has been an embarrassment.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Exactly....

Should Luongo be blamed that it rains a lot in Vancouver? Does Luongo get blamed for global warming? He's being blamed for us losing hockey games, despite the fact our offense can't score, so why not blame him for everything else too?

Brenton Williams

Feb 6, 2006
Right because, you know, it's SOOOO logical to blame the goalie in a game where you lose 2-1, during a string where the offense has put up 1 goal in 5 of the last 7 games. :help: :shakehead

Maybe we need to create a mental image for you.

Think of 'fault' as a pie.

Luongo will take a certain portion of that 'fault' pie -- lets say 1/3 of it.

And the offense will take the remaining portion of the 'fault' pie -- so 2/3 of it.

Notice how both the offense and Luongo can be partially at fault for the Canucks lack of consistent success.

Does that make sense or do you wan't me to post a drawing as well?

Wetcoaster

Again you beg the question.

Brenton Williams

Feb 6, 2006
Should Luongo be blamed that it rains a lot in Vancouver? Does Luongo get blamed for global warming? He's being blamed for us losing hockey games, despite the fact our offense can't score, so why not blame him for everything else too?

That's such poor logic that I don't know where to begin.

Check my post above. {Mod}

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
If Luongo is seen as being below average, then how can one suggest the offense has been below average? If Luongo has been below average then the offense has been downright putrid.

Luongo's 2.08GAA .921SVP in November suggests he's been quite good. His 3-3-3 record in November suggests that the offense has been an embarrassment.

October doesn't count now? At least try to put forth and honest argument.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Gang, please refrain from personal attacks, go after the Post not the Poster.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Maybe we need to create a mental image for you.

Think of 'fault' as a pie.

Luongo will take a certain portion of that 'fault' pie -- lets say 1/3 of it.

And the offense will take the remaining portion of the 'fault' pie -- so 2/3 of it.

Notice how both the offense and Luongo can be partially at fault for the Canucks lack of consistent success.

Does that make sense or do you wan't me to post a drawing as well?

How do you fault a goalie who's play has been very good of late?

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
October doesn't count now? At least try to put forth and honest argument.

If we're talking about "Luongo needing to be better..." Well, in the month of November he's been a lot better than he was in October.

If Luongo posts a 2.08GAA .921SVP over a season then I would say he had a great season. Those are the numbers he's posted in November, so I fail to see how people are complaining about Luongo at this time at all.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

:laugh:

If only you could convince the league to not count games in October in the standings.

The Luongo rule!

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

Because if he gives up a bad goal and the goalie at the other end doesn't, the team will usually lose. All Luongo had to do was not give up a crap goal to a grinder last night and the team would have come away with 1 or 2 points. That's how fine the line is from winning and losing.

Brenton Williams

Feb 6, 2006

Because he's let in weak goals while the opposition goalies have completely stonewalled us.

It's not just his fault, as everyone here has said, but in the close low scoring games the Canucks have consistently been the team to let in that mediocre goal.

That's why he receives a portion of the fault pie.

And at the same time, obviously the offense has to score more, and obviously Luongo's play has been decent for the most part. But there are times when a team needs a goalie to shut the door, and Luongo hasn't managed to do that enough.

Wetcoaster

If we're talking about "Luongo needing to be better..." Well, in the month of November he's been a lot better than he was in October.

If Luongo posts a 2.08GAA .921SVP over a season then I would say he had a great season. Those are the numbers he's posted in November, so I fail to see how people are complaining about Luongo at this time at all.
Not a surprise that you fail to see.

This graphically makes my point.

Blinders.jpg

Wetcoaster

Because if he gives up a bad goal and the goalie at the other end doesn't, the team will usually lose. All Luongo had to do was not give up a crap goal to a grinder last night and the team would have come away with 1 or 2 points. That's how fine the line is from winning and losing.
And that is precisely what Luongo and Tortorella both said post game.

Wetcoaster

In another thread we were discussing the lack of offence and this post seems particularly apt to last night's game:

This team has been the top scoring team before so this seems anomalous.

You have two past Art Ross trophy winners in the Sedins and they will score. I think Henrik is playing hurt.

Burrows is rusty and is getting no bounces but he will score - think Higgins earlier in the season.

I would put Kesler, Santorelli and Kassian together for a couple of games.

Hansen and Higgins between Richardson (maybe Schroeder when he is healthy).

If Booth could ever find his way out of the wilderness that would be helpful.

The D needs to step up its offence - particularly Hamhuis and Edler. Garrison looks like he is nursing a groin injury. Bieksa and Stanton are doing well.

The real offensive black hole right now is... Luongo. ;)

The major problem with the offence is the terrible power play. If they can get that working and take leads of more than one goal then that forces other teams to open up and they can be put away. That was the recipe during the high scoring seasons.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad