Post-Game Talk: Game #25: Blackhawks 2, Canucks 1 - Six goals? Nah, one goal will do fine...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Got to say, all you canuck fans who rag on y2k for his Luongo love are getting a bit ridiculous. He let in one stinker sure but the team simply can't score it's just atrocious at this point. Might be even worse than 06/07 with how Torts has the PP going.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Kesler is not an elite forward, at least not offensively. He had one magical season where he was playing out his mind and everything was going well for the team. Execution issues and not personnel issues? :laugh: I'm assuming the majority of teams could label it as 'execution issues'. I guess when Sather buys super expensive players for the Rangers that never see to get it going that it must be execution issues. :shakehead

Kesler isn't elite? Hmmm ok. Let's say that he isn't, he still does well on the PP. So two former Art Ross winners and a former Selke winner. How many teams can put that out on the 1st unit? And of those, how many are better than 29th in PP ranking?

The funny thing here is that even with one potent addition to that 1st unit, the same 3-4 players will comprise the rest of the unit. Do you believe that 1 forward can drag this PP up 20 spots?

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Luongo hasn't won one with less than 3 goals of offensive support. Huge difference. But yes, Crawford is 0-1 in games where the Blackhawks score 1 goal or get shutout. Good stat!

Luongo has zero wins when we have a 2 in the Canucks column. Every one of his wins have involved 3+ goals in support.

That's only because we've only had 2 games where the Canucks have scored 2 goals in a game. One ended up as a shootout loss, the other was a late overtime loss. What's your point?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
You are quite literally making up your own narrative here. The talk is about Lou because YOU are making is about Lou.

Everybody has said that the offense needs to be better. People have also said that Lou needs to be better. YOU focus on the Lou criticism; blowing it out of proportion.

If he didn't even post on the boards, I still think the criticism of Luongo would be out of proportion to his actual performance. Luongo is just a polarizing figure on these boards, not many can claim to be neutral. The Luongo vs Schneider civil war in the fan base just widened the divide.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Got to say, all you canuck fans who rag on y2k for his Luongo love are getting a bit ridiculous. He let in one stinker sure but the team simply can't score it's just atrocious at this point. Might be even worse than 06/07 with how Torts has the PP going.

I wouldn't say it's Luongo love. I'd be defending Eddie Lack the same way if he were our goalie instead of Luongo right now. I'd call it "common sense."

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
All teams play defense the same. Bryzgalov deserved the Vezina, playing behind Phoenix didn't help his stats.

Remember when people used to say they would take Bryz over Luongo any day :laugh:

Canucks have a good defense core, but they don't play the tightest system defensively, and try to focus on putting up points (which they've failed at recently) while being responsible in their own end. Forwards also don't play the same way as they do in Nashville, Phoenix and LA, which is the real key.

Stats aren't the best way to measure a goalie, nor is GAA. The fact of the matter is, you can't expect Luongo to get a shutout every night. His second goal tonight was bad, that doesn't change the fact that he hasn't allowed more than 2 goals against in ages, and the team just can't score.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Our PP was awful last year as well, everyone wanted newell browns head.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Post number 124873975930 that can't separate goaltending from scoring. Don't mean to pick on you Derp, but these are two separate issues.

And I don't think that's why people are ragging on Y2K. It's very clear why its happening, actually.

arsmaster*

Luongo hasn't won one with less than 3 goals of offensive support. Huge difference. But yes, Crawford is 0-1 in games where the Blackhawks score 1 goal or get shutout. Good stat!

Chicago only has one game where they've scored one or less?

Well that makes me feel even worse. We're up to what 13 now :(

StringerBell

That's only because we've only had 2 games where the Canucks have scored 2 goals in a game. One ended up as a shootout loss, the other was a late overtime loss. What's your point?

My point is that he doesn't win games when we score 2 goals. He has one win when we score less than 3 goals.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

The point? That the Canucks can't bail out Luongo and put up 3 goals a game consistently to have a shot of winning as much as Luongo can bail them out by pitching a shutout when the offense is incapable of potting more than one.

In the past, the offense could bail out Luongo when he was having a bad game, and Luongo could bail out the offense when they weren't clicking. Now neither is capable of helping the other one out. That's the main issue.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Post number 124873975930 that can't separate goaltending from scoring. Don't mean to pick on you Derp, but these are two separate issues.

And I don't think that's why people are ragging on Y2K. It's very clear why its happening, actually.

Yeah I get that but every time I come into a PGT goaltending is the topic.. seems a bit ridiculous when it's pretty clear that the team is full of grinders that can't finish.

Wetcoaster

Holding teams to 2 or fewer goals in 75% of your starts is no longer elite?
It depends.

GAA is more of a team stat. Luongo suits at 2.30 - 17th in the NHL

The goalie stat is save percentage and Luongo sits 24th in the NHL at .914

Taken together the numbers do not scream elite.

StringerBell

Chicago only has one game where they've scored one or less?

Well that makes me feel even worse. We're up to what 13 now :(

Yeah their 5-1 loss against Colorado last week. We have 10 games with a single GF and none getting shutout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad