Post-Game Talk: Game #25: Blackhawks 2, Canucks 1 - Six goals? Nah, one goal will do fine...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wetcoaster

Yet In clutch situations , he is not performing. That 2nd goal was atrocious

This was gonna be a 2-1 game and one goalie stole this game, and it wasn't luongo again. Crawford didn't let any weak goals in
And a Canucks player agrees with you as he said after tonight's loss to the Hawks.

“What are you going to do? We have to learn to win some games 1-0, 2-1. That’s the way the league is right now.

“You can’t just focus on the offence. If you look around the league, it’s all low-scoring games. We have to find ways to win those.â€

And that player? None other than...

Roberto Luongo

NOTE Highlight space above with mousie.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
We had a pretty lousy powerplay last year too, and our top scoring PP forward was Raymond. When you change the coaching staff and it doesn't fix the PP....

As I said, its an execution issue. Whether thats the coaching staff drawing up a poor scheme or the players failing to execute it, the 1st unit doesn't execute.

Some teams wish they could trot out 3 elite forwards on the 1st unit. Yet, they do better in percentages? Its more execution than personnel to me, but whatever. It's a huge issue.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
We had a pretty lousy powerplay last year too, and our top scoring PP forward was Raymond. When you change the coaching staff and it doesn't fix the PP....

It's pretty fallacious to assume that a change in coaching staff should automatically 'fix' a PP issue. Change isn't always in a positive direction, and it's not as though we necessarily brought in PP Guru's on the coaching staff.

I think it's a combination of the personnel AND the coaching staff really. We don't have the real QB to execute a great, creative and unpredictable PP and haven't since Ehrhoff departed. But the coaching decisions and setup haven't helped anything either.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Saveable sure? atrocious? Not for me. One of many odd mans against. Good shot.

One I hoped he'd save. The hyperbole and the piling on is annoying.

I'm going to bed.

I love Lu... I have a Lu jersey. But this has been going on since that first series with the hawks. He's becoming the 2nd best goalie most nights now. Cory Crawford was very impressive

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
Apparently it's worrisome to have a goalie who holds teams to 2 goals in a game (including the top ranked offense in the league...) yet an offense that can't score against playoff teams isn't worrisome because we had the 11th ranked ES offense during a time when we played mostly non-playoff teams. WOW. :shakehead

I think Luongo has looked great in net this year not shaky, seems calm and cool.. That save he made on

Patty Kane Tonight was dynamite

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
That's not how the team is built. That's not why we signed Luongo to a lifetime contract. If that's how the team was structured (with a great offense and goaltending as an afterthought,) our Goalie would have a cap hit of 1M and we'd have more money to spend on offense. Say, if Lack were the goalie. Then things would be different. But we are a team built around the goaltender. That's how it is, so yeah, we rely pretty heavily on him.

Hm.. it sounded better in my head... Anyway, I didn't mean the goalie entirely as an afterthought (with 1M caphit) because I know goalies play a really important role. I just wish people would stop arguing over nothing that's all. *sigh*

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
And has only 2 wins this season too. Even he hasn't won a game where his team has scored fewer than 2 goals of offensive support. Look at how many goalies aren't "stealing" games like people expect Luongo to do...

Do you think Luongo is playing like an elite goalie?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
What's funny is he's still expected to start for Team Canada.

I hope he does. In a short tournament where experience is going to matter there is no one better to turn to. Also, to support the guy, I think his mental resilience really has gotten a lot better - anyone who criticizes him for being weak upstairs is holding onto the past. This bodes well for the Olympics.

However, his physical skills have been diminishing and he does really look slower out there, especially laterally. Hopefully that isn't a big issue on the bigger ice surface where there should be more room for East-West play.

Simply put, I think over the long run of the regular season (and playoffs) Lu just isn't performing like a top-15 goalie anymore.

edit: But at the same time, Bobrovsky was expected to start for Russia. If the Varlamov case doesn't end up unfortunately, then there's little chance that is the case. (edit 2: you're a loose cannon, Bobrovsky). And while it would be beyond idiotic...hockey can be a sport of what have you done for me lately.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....ry=CAN&status=&viewName=savePercentageLeaders

12th amongst Canadian goalies. Josh Harding is putting up Vezina calibre numbers, how great of a story would that be if he started for Team Canada...

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I love Lu... I have a Lu jersey. But this has been going on since that first series with the hawks. He's becoming the 2nd best goalie most nights now. Cory Crawford was very impressive

Funny how every goalie we play against tends to look impressive. Maybe the problem is our offense is just that bad? Naw, couldn't be. :sarcasm:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
What does Roberto Luongo have in common with Tuukka Rask, Carey Price, Henrik Lundqvist, Cory Schneider this season?

Answer: None of them have a single win in a game where their teams have scored fewer than 2 goals.

What people are expecting Luongo to do, is more than these other goalies are being asked to do.

Number of games where they keep the other team to 0 or 1 GF:

Rask: 11 times in 19 starts (58%)
Lundqvist: 7 times in 17 starts (41%)
Schneider: 4 times in 10 starts (40%)
Price: 7 times in 18 starts (39%)
Luongo: 2 times in 20 starts (10%)

Those goalies have guaranteed their team at least a point if they score 1 goal in 40-60% of their starts. Luongo has failed to do that.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Get off the luongo hate train and open your trucking eyes.
Scoring one goal isn't going to win (very many) games.

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
Quite often lately. Luongo lets in a softy and all the talk is about how Luongo played poorly by holding the top ranked offense in the league to 2 goals this game, yet barely a peep about our highest paid player missing a beautiful chance to tie up the game.

You are quite literally making up your own narrative here. The talk is about Lou because YOU are making is about Lou.

Everybody has said that the offense needs to be better. People have also said that Lou needs to be better. YOU focus on the Lou criticism; blowing it out of proportion.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I would be more worried about the offensive talent if the team hadn't produced at an 11th rank at ES with 42 goals.

They also trot out 3 elite forwards on their PP. To me, that screams execution issues and not personnel issues. Do they need 4 elite forwards to have even an average PP?

Something is seriously awry there.

Kesler is not an elite forward, at least not offensively. He had one magical season where he was playing out his mind and everything was going well for the team. Execution issues and not personnel issues? :laugh: I'm assuming the majority of teams could label it as 'execution issues'. I guess when Sather buys super expensive players for the Rangers that never see to get it going that it must be execution issues. :shakehead

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Once again, "declining" isn't something you an determine based on numbers over the sample size of the perceived decline.

Luongo was easily our MVP for the first half of last season. Do you think that 1 or two blowouts that brought his sv% down to earth indicate that age suddenly caught up with him?

Or this season, where his start is even better than his start in 2010-2011, is that enough to determine he's "declined" due to age?

You're misunderstanding what I'm trying to say.

I'm not saying his performance has proven that he's declined. I'm saying that given his age, it's reasonable to assume he'd decline. Therefore, if he's playing at a lesser level it's reasonable to think it may be a product of decline rather than an outlier. It is Bayesian reasoning. We have more information to go on than simply his performance; were he 28 years old I'd probably be more willing to ascribe it to a fluke rather than declining skills/mobility.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Number of games where they keep the other team to 0 or 1 GF:

Rask: 11 times in 19 starts (58%)
Lundqvist: 7 times in 17 starts (41%)
Schneider: 4 times in 10 starts (40%)
Price: 7 times in 18 starts (39%)
Luongo: 2 times in 20 starts (10%)

Those goalies have guaranteed their team at least a point if they score 1 goal in 40-60% of their starts. Luongo has failed to do that.

He's picking and choosing random stats instead of looking at the overall picture. No point in arguing. And again, we all agree that scoring/PPR is the biggest issue, but to say that Luongo is still a top/elite goalie right now is incorrect if you look at the overall numbers that matter when judging goaltending

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
this thread is actually awful. this might be the worst canucks related discourse i've ever witnessed.

arsmaster*

Do you think Luongo is playing like an elite goalie?

One more before bed:

What does being elite matter?

It's subjective. People are basing it ins stat.

Jon quick is elite. His stats stink.

Luongo is playing good enough that we should be picking up points. Allowing 2 goals or less in 15 out of 20 is good enough. Might not be elite. But it's good enough.

Who cares about elite. People are using save% as the basis.

Look at dubnyk's from last year.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He's picking and choosing random stats instead of looking at the overall picture. No point in arguing. And again, we all agree that scoring/PPR is the biggest issue, but to say that Luongo is still a top/elite goalie right now is incorrect if you look at the overall numbers that matter when judging goaltending

Roberto Luongo has probably been one of our best players, if not the best player, in the month of November this year. Isn't that good enough?

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
2nd goal refferd to add atrocious by luongo? It was a ********* 2 on 1 from the blue line in by what logic is that all pinned on the goalie, you guys are stunned. Id love to see this teams record if we had calgarys goalies, we have a guy whos possibly going to start for team canada and he gets treated like hes hes crap. Hes by fsr and away the best goalie this franchise has ever had, yet the guy could walk on water and youd all criticize him for not running.

Well.......I feel alot better.

StringerBell

Crawford hasn't won a game this year with less than 2 goals of offensive support either....

Luongo hasn't won one with less than 3 goals of offensive support. Huge difference. But yes, Crawford is 0-1 in games where the Blackhawks score 1 goal or get shutout. Good stat!

I don't see how you can put those in there. Luongo wins games when we have a 2 or more in the Canucks column. Saying we need to get a few 1-0 wins? Sure. But as I mentioned earlier, Price, Rask, Lundqvist, and Schneider haven't won games this season where their offense has scored fewer than 2 goals in a game, so they're on par with Luongo on that. Are their fanbases complaining that goaltending hasn't been good enough too?

Luongo has zero wins when we have a 2 in the Canucks column. Every one of his wins have involved 3+ goals in support.

StringerBell

Anyways, I've had enough of talking about goaltending for one night. I like Luongo, I think he's been playing okay most games, but when you're 30% through the season and he's yet to steal a game he's not playing good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad