GDT: Game #2 of 82: Blues @ Coyotes - 10pm ET

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I feel like I’ve been watching a different pair of games than some people here… Walman has been good. When he’s aggressive and moving his feet, he’s exceptional. I think with him, gaining the confidence to do that consistently is going to either force us into some tough decisions about Krug and Scandella, or be a pain over the course of the year. The early results tho, have been really great as far as I (and the advanced stats) can tell

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I was half watching, half listening while at work tonight, but here it goes:
Blues - Managed to win this game even though they let the Yotes back in. Don't know why, but they are gamers against this team

Buch - Just a nice goal he scored by a feed from Kyrou. I knew Buch was one to get in other people's faces, but I didn't think Ranger's fans meant it literally. All I can say is that when you get cross checked in the face like that, sometimes you just overreact and do stupid shit. At least Buch has heart, but I'm hoping he doesn't have more of these types of overreactions. We need this dude to be playing hockey.
Kyrou - Dude is a cheat code when he's in the game. I hope getting stronger and having a nice year last year will propel him into stardom. He just can't stop scoring.
Faulk - Overall steady, and now we're seeing the offense come. He had stretches last year where he could make nice plays, but being forced to be a defensive defenseman put a stop to that. With Parayko back, he can start scoring a bit more.
Krug - Really just kind of a fluke play on the DoG penalty, but he looks much more comfortable this year. We knew this would happen, but it's nice to see.
Thomas - It seems like he still has some issues turning the puck over, but I have also heard he is now starting to backcheck to get possession back. I don't like the turnovers, but if you do it, then you should at least be working hard to get it back. This is a great sign for him and he obviously made some nice plays tonight.
Neighbours - He just seems like a ROR 2.0. He's always working hard, makes nice plays; he just plays the game the right way for his age. Hoping to see his ice time climb as he gets more comfortable, and hopefully he'll start moving around the lineup for more opportunities.
Kostin - Honestly, I didn't get to see much of him, but he dumped a guy in open ice, had a few hits, and scored 2 beauties. THIS is the kind of player he has to be if he wants to stay in the lineup. He had a bad penalty late, but like Perron, this might just be him as a player. The only thing is I don't know if his other contributions will make up for that in the eyes of the coaches.
Lastly, Tarasenko - Can't confirm, but seemed disinterested, made some bad plays that almost cost us a goal, but also contributed to at least 2 goals. I hope he can play well for his sake so we don't have to hear any more drama, but I do miss him in his prime.

Overall, the team played pretty well with a few bad plays and penalties. Blues HAVE to fix this penalty kill, otherwise they will get eaten alive by better teams like Boston, Vegas, Florida, Tampa, and to a lesser (but maybe similar) extent Edmonton. They would've blown out the Yotes sans the "powerplay" goals, so that is once again my big focus for this team this year. 2 games in and we're 2-0-0, so that's really all I can ask for at this point.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
I was half watching, half listening while at work tonight, but here it goes:
Blues - Managed to win this game even though they let the Yotes back in. Don't know why, but they are gamers against this team

Buch - Just a nice goal he scored by a feed from Kyrou. I knew Buch was one to get in other people's faces, but I didn't think Ranger's fans meant it literally. All I can say is that when you get cross checked in the face like that, sometimes you just overreact and do stupid shit. At least Buch has heart, but I'm hoping he doesn't have more of these types of overreactions. We need this dude to be playing hockey.
Kyrou - Dude is a cheat code when he's in the game. I hope getting stronger and having a nice year last year will propel him into stardom. He just can't stop scoring.
Faulk - Overall steady, and now we're seeing the offense come. He had stretches last year where he could make nice plays, but being forced to be a defensive defenseman put a stop to that. With Parayko back, he can start scoring a bit more.
Krug - Really just kind of a fluke play on the DoG penalty, but he looks much more comfortable this year. We knew this would happen, but it's nice to see.
Thomas - It seems like he still has some issues turning the puck over, but I have also heard he is now starting to backcheck to get possession back. I don't like the turnovers, but if you do it, then you should at least be working hard to get it back. This is a great sign for him and he obviously made some nice plays tonight.
Neighbours - He just seems like a ROR 2.0. He's always working hard, makes nice plays; he just plays the game the right way for his age. Hoping to see his ice time climb as he gets more comfortable, and hopefully he'll start moving around the lineup for more opportunities.
Kostin - Honestly, I didn't get to see much of him, but he dumped a guy in open ice, had a few hits, and scored 2 beauties. THIS is the kind of player he has to be if he wants to stay in the lineup. He had a bad penalty late, but like Perron, this might just be him as a player. The only thing is I don't know if his other contributions will make up for that in the eyes of the coaches.
Lastly, Tarasenko - Can't confirm, but seemed disinterested, made some bad plays that almost cost us a goal, but also contributed to at least 2 goals. I hope he can play well for his sake so we don't have to hear any more drama, but I do miss him in his prime.

Overall, the team played pretty well with a few bad plays and penalties. Blues HAVE to fix this penalty kill, otherwise they will get eaten alive by better teams like Boston, Vegas, Florida, Tampa, and to a lesser (but maybe similar) extent Edmonton. They would've blown out the Yotes sans the "powerplay" goals, so that is once again my big focus for this team this year. 2 games in and we're 2-0-0, so that's really all I can ask for at this point.

Mostly agree. Neighbors is more like a bigger Schwartz in my estimation. I also think 91 will be ok, it's just gonna take him a minute. Hoping the Blues announce him as a starter in his first home game and the crowd showers him with love, I honestly think that would mean the world to him and he deserves it.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Mostly agree. Neighbors is more like a bigger Schwartz in my estimation. I also think 91 will be ok, it's just gonna take him a minute. Hoping the Blues announce him as a starter in his first home game and the crowd showers him with love, I honestly think that would mean the world to him and he deserves it.

Even if he’s not in the starting lineup, they announce the whole team at the season opener, so hopefully that exact thing happens. I know I’ll be cheering my ass off for him.

Reactions: parliamentlite

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I just see a lot of former and current Blues players in Neighbours, whether that's by design or just luck. He has that youthful exuberance of Oshie, strong two-way play of ROR and Schwartz, and the sturdiness of a young Tarasenko. I think he is probably closest to Schwartz or ROR, but he seems like he's going to be a really good player for us in a few years. And I agree, I hope the fans let Tarasenko know we appreciate his time here, I just don't know if he will ever get back to that 40 goal power. I wish him the best now and in the future

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
I just see a lot of former and current Blues players in Neighbours, whether that's by design or just luck. He has that youthful exuberance of Oshie, strong two-way play of ROR and Schwartz, and the sturdiness of a young Tarasenko. I think he is probably closest to Schwartz or ROR, but he seems like he's going to be a really good player for us in a few years. And I agree, I hope the fans let Tarasenko know we appreciate his time here, I just don't know if he will ever get back to that 40 goal power. I wish him the best now and in the future
Schwartz isn't a perfect comparison because pre-bonebreak Schwartz was different than post. Neighbors reminds me now of post bonebreak Schwartz with a little more oompf around the net.

Reactions: JoernAZ

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I feel like I’ve been watching a different pair of games than some people here… Walman has been good. When he’s aggressive and moving his feet, he’s exceptional. I think with him, gaining the confidence to do that consistently is going to either force us into some tough decisions about Krug and Scandella, or be a pain over the course of the year. The early results tho, have been really great as far as I (and the advanced stats) can tell
I've been pleased with him too. He's had sheltered icetime, but feels like every time opponent has been pressuring us it's one of the other pairs on the ice.

Reactions: rumrokh

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Watching the Bally's replay of the game now so I can see the whole thing.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I see Steen in him. Funny, when he was drafted we heard he was very Blues-y player. Looks like that was right.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
I've been pleased with him too. He's had sheltered icetime, but feels like every time opponent has been pressuring us it's one of the other pairs on the ice.
He's been ok enough for a 3D in his own end, but he's awful beyond the red line. Dude just fires the puck from wherever, whenever he gets it. If you are looking for this, it's almost comical.

Reactions: Reality Czech

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I see Steen in him. Funny, when he was drafted we heard he was very Blues-y player. Looks like that was right.
YESS, that was one player I forgot to list but I initially thought he looked like a Steen type player. I don't recall a lot of other people having that opinion besides you and I lol

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
I didn't say he was good! But not being a disaster in his own end is real progress.
This is true, but he's not been the answer there yet. If I had the time or the talent, I'd love to put together a Jake Walman blue line bomb edit to the Benny Hill theme.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Game Two

WE WON!!

Some Good.
Some Bad.

D needs to tighten up. 4 Goals against from the YOTES IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Winning the game however IS

Live. Learn. ROLL ON BOYS!!

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
A lot of former Blues players being thrown out as Neighbours comparisons.

His draft comp from scouts was Brenden Morrow, another former Blue. I think that is absolutely spot on and if Neighbours becomes that, it’s a huge steal of a draft pick.

For those that don’t remember Morrow as much, Neighbours is kind of a mix between Backes and Oshie. I don’t like the comparisons to ROR or Schwartz because he plays so much nastier than them. He has an edge to his game and will mix it up a lot. He took a run at Chychrun with a few seconds left which is what started that melee.

Either way, the kid symbolizes Blues hockey to a T. I know it’s only been 2 games but I’m getting serious ‘future captain’ vibes from him. And I never throw out that praise for just anyone. That’s why I think a smaller, quicker Backes is the most accurate. Some Oshie mixed in. Dude just has the ability to drag others into the fight and he’s already doing it at 19. I love what I’m seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad