GDT: Game #2 of 82: Blues @ Coyotes - 10pm ET

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Right. Sure, it was a very sloppy game. But, what do you expect the first 2 games of a season? They don't have their timing yet, and not yet clicking with their linemates and shiftmates.
They’ve played this game 1000 times, so I expect a little better.

But like @parliamentlite wrote, the team is constructed differently, so my expectations should adjust accordingly.

But, yeah, first two games.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Neighbors has a chance to stick around. Would have never guessed that. I’d move Tarasenko for free if somebody took his entire salary. He’s a round peg in a square hole on this teams style of play.

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
So why is Kyrou getting only 13min ice time, especially in a game like this where he is on? Because he is not playing PK?

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
I tell you what, Blues management better start pinching pennies because Kyrou is going to be an $8M per year player - or more - two years from now.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
Imagine running these lines in January, if the Blues can trade 91 somehow...

Saad - ROR - Perron
Kyrou - Schenn - Buch
Neighbours - Thomas - Kostin
Barbashev - Bozak - Sundqvist

That's equal parts skill and grime, experience and youth. That's gotta get ya excited.

EDIT: Plus, if the Blues can somehow turn 91 into a top-4 LD, either in the trade itself or through the cap room it gives DA to use at the deadline...wow.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Good news is that Kostin may have earned an extended look. With Buchnevich likely drawing a multiple game suspension, Berube can fit two of Kostin, Clifford & Neal into the line-up for the next short-while. I'm not quite ready to say that Kostin is a better option than Neal for a roster spot this year, but the Blues surely have more to gain from playing Kostin instead of two vets approaching the end of their careers. I think given the same minutes and opportunities, Neal probably outscores Klim this year...but the emphasis should be on developing a young asset and this is the perfect (deep) roster which allows the Blues to do so. I'll be shocked and disappointed if Kostin doesn't play 50 games this year, if he's fully healthy. There should be plenty of opportunity for other guys to rotate in, but the kids looked great last night (Neighbors, Kyrou & Thomas included).

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah I did love seeing us in road blues and the Coyotes in home whites. Took me back to the days of when we would play the Coyotes when Tkachuk and Drake were on their team before coming to STL.

Looks much better than road whites.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Sloppy game by both sides but I found it quite enjoyable to watch, probably cause the Blues scored 7 times and the youth was on full display.

Kyrou is the real deal, he's got that swagger on the ice when he has the puck which I love to see. His shot looks to be quite improved which is great as now it makes him both a dual threat to pass or score. I wouldn't be surprised to see him lead the team in scoring this year. Get him some more ice time.

Thomas still has flashes of brilliance and frustration. He made the slick passes last night to pick up a couple assists and probably could have had a couple more if the recipient was more attentive. On the flip side, I feel he tried to defer way too much to Tarasenko at times and passed up clear opportunities to shoot the puck.

Speaking of Tarasenko, it's like I'm watching a completely different player. His decision making with the puck has been quite poor as I saw him try to take on defenders by himself which just resulted in a turnover. His shot also does not look anywhere like it used to be. He was clearly the anchor for his line last night.

Walman is a mixed bag for me right now, I really liked him last year but he's had a turbulent start in these first couple games. No doubt that he works hard out there, but his technical abilities haven't been able to keep up. His passes have been off and his puck handling has been shoddy. I also think he tries to shoot way too often in the offensive zone despite the fact that the lane has been blocked by the defender. Stop trying to force shots that aren't there.

Neighbours is impressive for a 19 year old, he won way more puck battles than I expected and he was tenacious on the puck all night long. You can't send him down if he keeps playing like this. I'm most impressed by his strength on the puck, his poise, and his passing.

Kostin played a simple game and he was rewarded with 2 goals. Hopefully that signals to him that playing a simple hard game can be more effective than trying to be a one man show. Loved the hits he threw, especially the open ice one. He looks genuinely happy to be on the ice and with the team, he deserves his spot on the roster even if it's just in a 4th line role.

The youth ain't too bad.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
So why is Kyrou getting only 13min ice time, especially in a game like this where he is on? Because he is not playing PK?
He faded away. Season’s early yet and Kyrou will start settling in.

I’m willing to cut Tarasenko some slack. He’s looked mediocre, but that’s to be expected to a degree.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Another win with a few very poor moments but a lot of positives to take away.

Even though the Yotes technically didn't score a PP goal, 2 of their goals came as penalty time expired and were the clear result of the PP. Factor in the two empty net goals against Colorado (5 on 4 and 6 on 5) and suddenly we're looking at 5 goals against in 9 man-advantage situations even though our official PK% is sitting at a tidy 85%. The PK needs to drastically improve. But other than that continued issue there was a ton to love last night.

I thought Tarasenko had a pretty good game. The shot doesn't look fully comfortable yet, but the release looks bettr than last game. If he can dial in the accuracy it will be a very dangerous shot again and he's always had spells of inaccuracy throughout his career. I'm more optimistic about the shot than I was toward the end of last year. I don't think he's ever going to an elite decision-maker with the puck when the shot isn't working, but he made better decisions with the puck than in game 1. While his assist was a secondary assist, he made a smart play with the puck which led to a quick shot that could have easily been buried. It wasn't, but the scramble after that shot led to a pass and goal. It was definitely an earned assist. I thought he was making good decisions on the PP and even though he didn't get any great looks on the PP he was participating in a unit that looks dangerous. If we get last night's version of Tarasenko every night without the shot accuracy coming back, I think we are looking at a guy who has 10-15 goals and 15-20 assists by the halfway point of the season. So long as one of those numbers is on the high end of that estimate, that should be good enough to facilitate a trade worth taking. He's getting very sheltered usage, but he is turning that usage into very strong possession/underlying metrics and showing that he's not a liability out there. Ideally, he finds the shot and turns into the old offensive stud. But even if he doesn't, he is a moveable piece (or a good contributor to this team) if last night's Tarasenko is what we get on a regular basis.

Kyrou looked special last night. Ignore the stats and he just looked like a line driver that needs to be specifically game planned for.

The competition for spots in the bottom 6 appears to be working. Neighbours and Kostin looked like they were playing for jobs last night and both made it incredibly difficult to remove them from the lineup. I'd love to see them force Neal into 'permanent healthy scratch' status, but I'm confident that Neal will be working like a pro in practice and trying to force his way back in when someone has an off night. I want to see a year-long competition for time in the bottom 6 and so far the kids aren't disappointing.

I thought the D pairings looked decent at 5 on 5. Krug-Faulk put up really good possession numbers and they were a +2 when they were on the ice together. Krug got exposed when he was partnered with anyone else, but the Krug-Faulk pair was very effective last night. They were the obvious 2nd pair for the 2nd straight game and were overwhelmingly successful in that role last night. I'm not sold that Scandella is good enough to play 22 minutes a night as a top pair partner to a non-elite 1D. I still think that Parayko's partner is our biggest hole, but he was fine last night. Walman/Bortz were completely fine as a 3rd pair. I'm not seeing anything to tell me that Walman can get his shot off quick enough to use it effectively in the NHL, but he defended at the NHL level last night. Our 3rd pair just needs to not be a liability and they succeeded in that role last night. Excluding the PK, I thought we defended well enough last night (considering what the offense looks like).

Saad-ROR-Perron were used in an extremely defensive role. They didn't start in the offensive zone a single time together and it looks like the plan was "they are going to shut down Arizona's only real threats and the depth is going to beat them on the scoreboard." Tough to argue with results because they played an incredibly low-event game (9 attempts against and only 2 scoring chances against).

Stupid play by Buch to get tossed, but I will never understand how the NHL views a headbutt with no injury as one of the dirtiest things you can do but views a crosscheck to the face/head as a simple minor penalty when there is no injury. He's probably going to get some supplemental discipline, but you are never going to convince me that his actions were the dirtiest part of that exchange.

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
He faded away. Season’s early yet and Kyrou will start settling in.

I’m willing to cut Tarasenko some slack. He’s looked mediocre, but that’s to be expected to a degree.
I thought he looked better as the game went on. He didn't get an assist, but his play directly lead to Kyrou's first goal. He was also playing really well with Barbashev I thought.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm really glad Bozak was inevitably signed, he's going to be perfect to help develop Neighbours. Those 2 should develop some good chemistry and give us some matchup advantages when going against other teams bottom lines.

Reactions: stlwahoo

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Another win with a few very poor moments but a lot of positives to take away.
I thought the D pairings looked decent at 5 on 5. Krug-Faulk put up really good possession numbers and they were a +2 when they were on the ice together. Krug got exposed when he was partnered with anyone else, but the Krug-Faulk pair was very effective last night. They were the obvious 2nd pair for the 2nd straight game and were overwhelmingly successful in that role last night. I'm not sold that Scandella is good enough to play 22 minutes a night as a top pair partner to a non-elite 1D. I still think that Parayko's partner is our biggest hole, but he was fine last night. Walman/Bortz were completely fine as a 3rd pair. I'm not seeing anything to tell me that Walman can get his shot off quick enough to use it effectively in the NHL, but he defended at the NHL level last night. Our 3rd pair just needs to not be a liability and they succeeded in that role last night. Excluding the PK, I thought we defended well enough last night (considering what the offense looks like).

I feel that we were watching two vastly different things if you thought Scandella was fine last night. He was on the ice for three of the four goals against and he looked pretty bad on all of them. He didn't clear the rebound or try and block the shot from Keller (He was supposed to cover the weak-side on the PK) - he was a total pylon on the Crouse goal, and he got beat to the net on the third goal (The one where Binny got whacked in the head on the follow-through).

Maybe if he brought -something- offensively I'd be fine with it. But he doesn't. It's going to be a long season if we're trotting him and Parayko (Whom I'm also less than thrilled with so far this year) out there for 25+ minutes a game.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
so...in rewatching the buch incident...it appears crouse hops on the ice just to skate over to buch and start the altercation. that's a game suspension typically right?

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Because the NHL has finally reverted back to the way it should be. yeah yeah I know
The way it used to be was only one sweater per team which would get interesting at times when the colors were close. That changed in the 50s when each team went light/dark, with the dark being the home unis. In 1970 they switched for some reason and went to white home unis and road darks. Then in 2003, they switched to what we have now, dark home, road whites.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I need a gif of Kostin hugging Neighbours on the bench.

That was precious.

3ji1sse.gif

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
(Russia - 4 Canada - 2 USA - 1) Blues Win!!!

From Korac

With Jordan Kyrou, the elder statesman leading the way at the tender age of 23, the Blues got key contributions from Kyrou, 22-year-old Robert Thomas, 22-year-old Klim Kostin and the baby of the group, Jake Neighbours as the lone teenager at 19. They combined for nine points (four goals, five assists) in the 7-4 win over the Coyotes Monday at Gila River Arena.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Really hope Tarasenko can get better and better each game. I’m not very optimistic, but it’s definitely possible. He’s not far removed from being a superstar, so we know he’s capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad