GDT: Game #2 of 82: Blues @ Coyotes - 10pm ET

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I feel that we were watching two vastly different things if you thought Scandella was fine last night. He was on the ice for three of the four goals against and he looked pretty bad on all of them. He didn't clear the rebound or try and block the shot from Keller (He was supposed to cover the weak-side on the PK) - he was a total pylon on the Crouse goal, and he got beat to the net on the third goal (The one where Binny got whacked in the head on the follow-through).

Maybe if he brought -something- offensively I'd be fine with it. But he doesn't. It's going to be a long season if we're trotting him and Parayko (Whom I'm also less than thrilled with so far this year) out there for 25+ minutes a game.
I was referring to his 5 on 5 game as fine. As I mentioned earlier in the post, the PK play was a disaster. I think it is a system/style issue more than an individual execution issue, but the PK is a full blown dumpster fire. Every player on every PK unit is indecisive and getting caught in no mans land and that certainly includes Scandella.

But 5 on 5, I thought he was very much fine. He absolutely did his job at 5 on 5. All 3 goals he was on the ice for were essentially PK goals. Goal #1 was an actual PK goal where he was alone covering 2 guys net front because our other 3 PKers all chased the puck high and went above the hash marks. He is hands down the least at-fault skater on the ice for that goal (although we have been chasing guys all over the place on the PK going back to last season, so I'm fairly confident that this is a system/style issue and not an execution issue).

PK1.png

The guy standing in the circle to Scandella's right is the one who buries the rebound. It is absolutely not Scandella's job to cover the weakside man when everyone else on the ice abandons the front of the net. That is not remotely on Scandella. The puck hits Scandella's skate off Binner's pad, but it fired off the pad and that is going to happen. He's not in position to clear the rebound that goes behind him because he has to stay fronted and focus on the Yotes players to his left and in front. It is an unrealistic expectation to think he can do his job not front with those two AND do more than blindly swipe at a rebound off Binner's pad and behind him. Even if Scandella lunges out to Keller to try to block the shot it is an easy pass and tap home for either net front guy. This is an example of our PK system being garbage much more than it is Scandella failing to execute. Either that or it is on Parayko and Schenn for failing to communicate and on Saad for doing nothing to cover Keller.

I didn't like Scandella's positioning on goal #2 (pass from down low into the slot). He got caught puck watching on an expected point shot and stood there to block it (even though the forward went down to block it closer to the shooter) and then didn't react in time when it turned out to be a pass down low instead of a shot. This one was an execution failure in my eyes and on Scandella. he has to either peel off to cover the goal line option or get in position to cover the pass to the high slot after the goal line man gets the puck. But again, while they scored at 5 on 5, the penalty had just expired and this was very much still a 5 on 4 goal against.

Goal number 3 is another example of our PK system being terrible. The forward chases all the way out to the point, leaving Scandella alone to cover almost half a zone of space that has two spread out Coyotes. Scandella chases Keller to the wall and Keller dishes to the man in the corner who walks in for a shot and rebound chance. I don't want Scandella chasing there, but I also don't want our forward chasing all the way to the blueline. But everyone on the PK keeps doing it, so it seems like it has to be a directive from the coaching staff to be aggressive on the PK. I thought it was a lazy play by Scandella after that, but the entire unit looked gassed. He's not getting beaten to the net if he's not chasing the puck carrier and since everyone keeps doing that it feels like the coaches are telling them to do it. Again, goal scored as the penalty expires, so it is a 5 on 5 goal that was a 5 on 4 play.

He wasn't on the ice for goal #4.

He looked bad on the PK and the PK as a whole looks bad. But he was fine at 5 on 5. He would have been a +2 last night if both those goals were actually scored while still on the PK and those plays accounted for 3 of the 5 high danger attempts the Yotes got against him at 5 on 5. That is very good for a guy who played 17 minutes at 5 on 5 in clear defensive usage.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Thought on the game-

Buchnevich and the headbutt- For those that don't know the rules, which appeared to be almost everyone posting in the GDT, a headbutt has automatic penalty lengths attached depending on a few factors. It's a double minor just for even attempting it. Its an automatic major and game-misconduct if you connect. It's a match penalty if the other player is deemed to be injured. This was not some sell job by the refs to screw the Blues. He obviously connected and thus got the only punishment the refs could give him. It was incredibly stupid by Buchnevich. He is a great player but NYR fans said he could be a bit dirty, and I will always hate that aspect if he is. This was dirty and dumb. I can't say a headbutt is worse than a cross-check to the face, but I don't have to. The rule book does and professional hockey player should know its a no-no. He could get a hearing, but since the other player didn't appear injured, it is not automatic.

Faulk- For anyone who wants to tweak Ranksu about Faulk, last night was the game. He looked good.

Krug - He didn't. He wasn't burned, but his defense is just poor. He takes poor angles, he gets consistently beaten in one-on-ones and loses puck battles. Watching him it always looks just a matter of time til we get scored on.

Scandella - These 3 D are the good, the bad and the ugly. Scandella might have played well every other play, but he was terrible on all 3 goals. He was within reach of the play and wasn't even moving his feet. On loose rebounds he looked like a blind man using his stick as a cane, tapping it on the ice trying to luck into finding the puck through echo location. He didn't even turn his body or move his feet, just tapped away with his stick.

Kyrou - DAMN! That's it. Just DAMN! All caps with the exclamation mark. DAMN!

Neighbours - I just don't see what you all do with this kid. It may be that I have some confirmation bias as I was down on him at the draft and entering the season. But he doesn't look like anything more than a bottom-6er to me. I will compliment him on two things. First, he has a motor that does not quit with a ridiculously strong frame for his age. Second, he seems to have some playmaking skill when he is against the boards. Most of his point so far, including pre-season, have come from a quick pass after a board battle or when contested along the boards. That is a very valuable skill. But that is the end of the skill. I don't see the same playmaking ability at open ice. I see less than zero goal-scoring ability. I don't think he provides a ton more than Macheachern at this point. Not enough to justify burning a year of ELC, to me. I think he needs to go down and dominate against weaker competition to hopefully develop a shot and some open ice playmaking.

Tarasenko - Good analysis by Brian39 above. That's my thoughts in a nutshell. I liked Tarasenko's game, It wasn't perfect but he was working hard, made a few good plays. He made a few bad plays as well, but I think it will just take time to get his shot back and/or adjust to the reality if it never comes back fully.

Barbashev - I think he is fighting for a top 9 spot. He's 4th on the team in xGF%, and he is a factor. He is working hard getting to lose pucks, making good plays and being in the right place at the right time. Its got him at a ppg with 2 primary points (goal and primary assist).

Kostin - Good goals, but he was a -1 despite having good goals. I don't think I noticed any glaring mistakes from him running the tape back on the goals. But being on ice for all 3 ES goals is a bad sign. His advanced stats aren't that great either. I am not sure what it was. I only really noticed him on "impact" plays, goals and big hits. Those were great. Does anyone know what went wrong if anything, the rest of the time?

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Thought on the game-

Kostin - Good goals, but he was a -1 despite having good goals. I don't think I noticed any glaring mistakes from him running the tape back on the goals. But being on ice for all 3 ES goals is a bad sign. His advanced stats aren't that great either. I am not sure what it was. I only really noticed him on "impact" plays, goals and big hits. Those were great. Does anyone know what went wrong if anything, the rest of the time?
2 of Kostin's - were when he just stepped out of box and Yotes scored before he got back into play. Now 1 of those was bc of his penalty, but the other he was serving for Buch.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I was referring to his 5 on 5 game as fine. As I mentioned earlier in the post, the PK play was a disaster. I think it is a system/style issue more than an individual execution issue, but the PK is a full blown dumpster fire. Every player on every PK unit is indecisive and getting caught in no mans land and that certainly includes Scandella.

But 5 on 5, I thought he was very much fine. He absolutely did his job at 5 on 5. All 3 goals he was on the ice for were essentially PK goals. Goal #1 was an actual PK goal where he was alone covering 2 guys net front because our other 3 PKers all chased the puck high and went above the hash marks. He is hands down the least at-fault skater on the ice for that goal (although we have been chasing guys all over the place on the PK going back to last season, so I'm fairly confident that this is a system/style issue and not an execution issue).

PK1.png

The guy standing in the circle to Scandella's right is the one who buries the rebound. It is absolutely not Scandella's job to cover the weakside man when everyone else on the ice abandons the front of the net. That is not remotely on Scandella. The puck hits Scandella's skate off Binner's pad, but it fired off the pad and that is going to happen. Even if Scandella lunges out to Keller to try to block the shot it is an easy pass and tap home for either net front guy. This is an example of our PK system being garbage much more than it is Scandella failing to execute. Either that or it is on Parayko and Schenn for failing to communicate and on Saad for doing nothing to cover Keller.

I didn't like Scandella's positioning on goal #2 (pass from down low into the slot). He got caught puck watching on an expected point shot and stood there to block it (even though the forward went down to block it closer to the shooter) and then didn't react in time when it turned out to be a pass down low instead of a shot. This one was an execution failure in my eyes and on Scandella. he has to either peel off to cover the goal line option or get in position to cover the pass to the high slot after the goal line man gets the puck. But again, while they scored at 5 on 5, the penalty had just expired and this was very much still a 5 on 4 goal against.

Goal number 3 is another example of our PK system being terrible. The forward chases all the way out to the point, leaving Scandella alone to cover almost half a zone of space that has two spread out Coyotes. Scandella chases Keller to the wall and Keller dishes to the man in the corner who walks in for a shot and rebound chance. I don't want Scandella chasing there, but I also don't want our forward chasing all the way to the blueline. But everyone on the PK keeps doing it, so it seems like it has to be a directive from the coaching staff to be aggressive on the PK. I thought it was a lazy play by Scandella after that, but the entire unit looked gassed. He's not getting beaten to the net if he's not chasing the puck carrier and since everyone keeps doing that it feels like the coaches are telling them to do it. Again, goal scored as the penalty expires, so it is a 5 on 5 goal that was a 5 on 4 play.

He wasn't on the ice for goal #4.

He looked bad on the PK and the PK as a whole looks bad. But he was fine at 5 on 5. He would have been a +2 last night if both those goals were actually scored while still on the PK and those plays accounted for 3 of the 5 high danger attempts the Yotes got against him at 5 on 5. That is very good for a guy who played 17 minutes at 5 on 5 in clear defensive usage.

Great analysis as usual. I feel a lot of people just aren't objective when talking about players they personally dislike and you did a great job of illustrating why one guy isn't to blame for what basically amounts to 3 PP goals against. With someone like Scandella (and J-Bo before him), he's much more likely to "look bad" in some fans' eyes precisely because the coaches put him on the ice in as many key defensive situations as possible. Even if he does his job well 9/10 times some fan will be right there to point out that one time he theoretically could have prevented a goal. Meanwhile fans will praise guys like Walman (or Dunn before him) but downplay the fact that they would rarely be on the ice in those same difficult situations that Scandella has to deal with.

The PK absolutely needs to be better and Scandella can share some of the blame for that, but it's early in the season and we have a lot of personnel turnover from last year. Hopefully getting burned early on will force them to clamp down now and focus on how they can improve their play with a man down, but it's not time to panic just yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kostin will be a 25g scorer if he lives in front of the net. He’s big and strong enough to be that type of player.

Reactions: BlueMed

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Kostin will be a 25g scorer if he lives in front of the net. He’s big and strong enough to be that type of player.

Was great to see him make an impact last night. I'm sure he was chomping at the bit to get his chance and he didn't disappoint. I like the fact that "fringe guys" like Neighbours and Kostin are pushing for full-time spots, plus Barbie and Bozak have been sharp as well. Our bottom 6 is probably just as good as the middle six on a lot of NHL teams.

Reactions: Mike Liut

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Thought on the game-

Buchnevich and the headbutt- For those that don't know the rules, which appeared to be almost everyone posting in the GDT, a headbutt has automatic penalty lengths attached depending on a few factors. It's a double minor just for even attempting it. Its an automatic major and game-misconduct if you connect. It's a match penalty if the other player is deemed to be injured. This was not some sell job by the refs to screw the Blues. He obviously connected and thus got the only punishment the refs could give him. It was incredibly stupid by Buchnevich. He is a great player but NYR fans said he could be a bit dirty, and I will always hate that aspect if he is. This was dirty and dumb. I can't say a headbutt is worse than a cross-check to the face, but I don't have to. The rule book does and professional hockey player should know its a no-no. He could get a hearing, but since the other player didn't appear injured, it is not automatic.

Faulk- For anyone who wants to tweak Ranksu about Faulk, last night was the game. He looked good.

Krug - He didn't. He wasn't burned, but his defense is just poor. He takes poor angles, he gets consistently beaten in one-on-ones and loses puck battles. Watching him it always looks just a matter of time til we get scored on.

Scandella - These 3 D are the good, the bad and the ugly. Scandella might have played well every other play, but he was terrible on all 3 goals. He was within reach of the play and wasn't even moving his feet. On loose rebounds he looked like a blind man using his stick as a cane, tapping it on the ice trying to luck into finding the puck through echo location. He didn't even turn his body or move his feet, just tapped away with his stick.

Kyrou - DAMN! That's it. Just DAMN! All caps with the exclamation mark. DAMN!

Neighbours - I just don't see what you all do with this kid. It may be that I have some confirmation bias as I was down on him at the draft and entering the season. But he doesn't look like anything more than a bottom-6er to me. I will compliment him on two things. First, he has a motor that does not quit with a ridiculously strong frame for his age. Second, he seems to have some playmaking skill when he is against the boards. Most of his point so far, including pre-season, have come from a quick pass after a board battle or when contested along the boards. That is a very valuable skill. But that is the end of the skill. I don't see the same playmaking ability at open ice. I see less than zero goal-scoring ability. I don't think he provides a ton more than Macheachern at this point. Not enough to justify burning a year of ELC, to me. I think he needs to go down and dominate against weaker competition to hopefully develop a shot and some open ice playmaking.

Tarasenko - Good analysis by Brian39 above. That's my thoughts in a nutshell. I liked Tarasenko's game, It wasn't perfect but he was working hard, made a few good plays. He made a few bad plays as well, but I think it will just take time to get his shot back and/or adjust to the reality if it never comes back fully.

Barbashev - I think he is fighting for a top 9 spot. He's 4th on the team in xGF%, and he is a factor. He is working hard getting to lose pucks, making good plays and being in the right place at the right time. Its got him at a ppg with 2 primary points (goal and primary assist).

Only thing I disagree with is your Neighbours assessment. He’s 19 playing 4th line minutes. And it’s been 2 games. Most players in that situation won’t look like top 6 guys. Using recent Blues examples, I guess Thomas and Fabbri flashed top 6 potential at that age, but Kyrou really didn’t yet. And guys that played closer to his style like Backes and Schwartz didn’t either. I think he’s shown a lot of good things. You’re right that we haven’t really seen what his shot or goal scoring ability may look like, but again, it’s extremely early. He plays the type of game that will probably result in more dirty goals rather than pretty ones, but that will be just fine.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Scandella was a f***ing pylon on the second goal against. Legit a pylon caught in the spin cycle. Then he got beat going to the net on the third goal by his man. I'm not trying to prove an agenda, I'm critiquing his play, which is that of a guy who's supposedly a D-first D-man, of which he didn't do much of last night.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The way it used to be was only one sweater per team which would get interesting at times when the colors were close. That changed in the 50s when each team went light/dark, with the dark being the home unis. In 1970 they switched for some reason and went to white home unis and road darks. Then in 2003, they switched to what we have now, dark home, road whites.

Damn! You’re extra old.

Reactions: 67Blues

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
Buch has a history, and on the broadcast they were talking about how the league would likely view this as worse since Andersson had his glove as a buffer when he did it.
And that suspension was a joke also. The Rangers got fined a quarter million for saying George Parros was unfit to be in charge of player safety.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Only thing I disagree with is your Neighbours assessment. He’s 19 playing 4th line minutes. And it’s been 2 games. Most players in that situation won’t look like top 6 guys. Using recent Blues examples, I guess Thomas and Fabbri flashed top 6 potential at that age, but Kyrou really didn’t yet. And guys that played closer to his style like Backes and Schwartz didn’t either. I think he’s shown a lot of good things. You’re right that we haven’t really seen what his shot or goal scoring ability may look like, but again, it’s extremely early. He plays the type of game that will probably result in more dirty goals rather than pretty ones, but that will be just fine.

My assessment is based on the totality of what I have seen of Neighbours which goes beyond the 2 games. Its preseaon games, Traverse city tourneys, highlight films and what few games of his in juniors I could catch. That is not a TON, but it is more than 2 games with 4th line minutes. All told it is probably a couple hours of ice time. I have never seen a single second where I thought, damn, that kid looks like a future Oshie, or Schwartz, or any of the First Line names that are being thrown around. I saw the high end skill in Schwartz. You could see Kyrou's skating. I never thought, Kyrou doesn't have high end potential. I thought he needed to develop a shot and defensive sense but he oozed high end skating and play-making.

Neighbours is odd that he has all the things most prospect need time to develop (strength and compete level), but none of the things that get me excited about a prospect's future (speed, skating, shot, playmaking, super high hockey IQ). But typically, the things he has are things prospects get over time. Sure a prospect can develop a shot, or hone his playmaking, but there needs to be something there to begin with. I just don't see that spark of high end talent anywhere with Neighbours. I just don't. I fully admit it may be bias. I fully give him credit for what he does do well. I just don't think those things are enough of a foundation for him to grow into more than a bottom 6 player any time soon. I have been wrong before, so maybe I am now.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
My assessment is based on the totality of what I have seen of Neighbours which goes beyond the 2 games. Its preseaon games, Traverse city tourneys, highlight films and what few games of his in juniors I could catch. That is not a TON, but it is more than 2 games with 4th line minutes. All told it is probably a couple hours of ice time. I have never seen a single second where I thought, damn, that kid looks like a future Oshie, or Schwartz, or any of the First Line names that are being thrown around. I saw the high end skill in Schwartz. You could see Kyrou's skating. I never thought, Kyrou doesn't have high end potential. I thought he needed to develop a shot and defensive sense but he oozed high end skating and play-making.

Neighbours is odd that he has all the things most prospect need time to develop (strength and compete level), but none of the things that get me excited about a prospect's future (speed, skating, shot, playmaking, super high hockey IQ). But typically, the things he has are things prospects get over time. Sure a prospect can develop a shot, or hone his playmaking, but there needs to be something there to begin with. I just don't see that spark of high end talent anywhere with Neighbours. I just don't. I fully admit it may be bias. I fully give him credit for what he does do well. I just don't think those things are enough of a foundation for him to grow into more than a bottom 6 player any time soon. I have been wrong before, so maybe I am now.
I am somewhere around here too. I think he is a good player, but the upside is limited. He does a lot of little things right which is great. Yet, I never see the plus level offensive prowess. I see a 2nd line ceiling and probably most likely a guy who floats between the three bottom lines.

I honestly think that he needs AHL time or his trajectory will be stunted. But, because he plays a pro game (which is relatively rare), I could see some but limited offensive development occurring in the NHL assuming he doesn’t go back.

Last edited:

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I am somewhere around here too. I think he is a good player, but the upside is limited. He does a lot of little things right which is great. Yet, I never see the plus level offensive prowess. I see a 2nd line ceiling and probably most likely a guy who floats between the three bottom lines.

I honestly think that he needs AHL time or his trajectory will be stunted. But, because he plays a pro game (which is relatively rare), I could see some but limited offensive development occurring in the NHL assuming he doesn’t go back.
Couldn’t disagree more. He is super smart player who does what you can’t teach. He has room to improve but his 200’ game will keep him in lineup as he gets better. I see guy who consistently puts up 50+ points and is mainstay in top 6.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
Buch has a history, and on the broadcast they were talking about how the league would likely view this as worse since Andersson had his glove as a buffer when he did it.
he had 1 other infraction in over 6 years .. was it dumb . (yes) .. george parros was in charge at 1 point :thumbd: no clue who does it now

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My eye test is pretty similar to yours, but I think I disagree about the hockey IQ. His positioning is fantastic and his anticipation of where he will need to go next is fantastic. His understanding of what to do when he doesn't have the puck is incredible for a 19 year old and I would lump all that stuff in as 'hockey IQ.' I haven't seen many examples of amazing vision with the puck, but it seems like he thinks the game at a really high level. And we've heard Berube and his junior coach praise his hockey IQ.

I'm not sure whether the NHL is the best place for his skills to catch up to his IQ, but I do think that his IQ is already at the NHL level.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
My eye test is pretty similar to yours, but I think I disagree about the hockey IQ. His positioning is fantastic and his anticipation of where he will need to go next is fantastic. His understanding of what to do when he doesn't have the puck is incredible for a 19 year old and I would lump all that stuff in as 'hockey IQ.' I haven't seen many examples of amazing vision with the puck, but it seems like he thinks the game at a really high level. And we've heard Berube and his junior coach praise his hockey IQ.

I'm not sure whether the NHL is the best place for his skills to catch up to his IQ, but I do think that his IQ is already at the NHL level.

To add to this, his anticipation appears to be great in multiple ways. Not only does he put himself where the puck is going to be or needs to go, he places his passes really well for a guy who has just made his NHL debut. We see even obviously highly skilled rookies send passes behind or too far ahead of their intended target because they aren't used to the speed of the game. They're accustomed to having more time to aim their passes and they aren't accustomed to passing to and around players who are so fast with their feet and sticks. From day one, we've seen Neighbours deliver hard, soft, short, long distance, and saucer passes exactly where they need to be. I think his skill with the puck is higher than he gets credit for simply because his stickhandling is economical.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

*cough* Sam Bennett in Calgary *cough*

Couldn’t disagree more. He is super smart player who does what you can’t teach. He has room to improve but his 200’ game will keep him in lineup as he gets better. I see guy who consistently puts up 50+ points and is mainstay in top 6.

Sam Bennett in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad