Game 13: Kings vs. Blackhawks - 2/17/13 - Another Regulation Loss...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Jun 30, 2006
I think part of the problem is the coaching staff, they finally get a 2 game winning streak and Sutter has to change up the lines and goalies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They only changed goalie today, and I don't think Quick was why we lost the game. We lost because Chicago's forwards gave the D a ton of problems moving the puck. The lines were pretty much the same until P2.

Lewis and probably Penner too are waiver/trade for late round picks at best. Nobody is going to trade for a guy like that until someone similar on their team gets hurt.

Drewiske has been solid all year, bad today but the whole D was. I'm not gonna jump on his back.

Wouldn't trade Nolan.

King is a good guy to let go of. It wouldn't surprise me at all for a weaker team looking for development players to think he could plug in on their second line.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
With the amount of Injuries to the D, people should just be happy with 500. hockey.

I don't see this team rattling off 5,6,7 wins in a row.

Not with the D the way it is. The offense is struggling a lot cause the D is slow to move the puck up ice.

Willie Mitchell is really underrated with his outlet passes. Same with Greene.

Also look how deep the Kings forwards have to come into the D zone to help out.

That makes it really hard to generate speed through the zone.

Aren't the Kings one of the better advanced stat teams or whatever it's called? Bury a chance or two. Clifford has a couple ES goals, so it's not an impossible task.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Looks like Sutter was just venting.

Now their is a quote of him saying no one from Manchester is going to help.

topliner967

Dec 14, 2011
Northern Europe
Kopitar isn't the same player as he was last season. He could tell when he's along the boards and he can't protect the puck using his body. He's easily bumped off the puck now and constantly turns the puck over. I think his injury is hampering him more than we are led to believe. All of his strength is gone.

Yeah, that's the one thing that I've noticed more than anything. He usually is real good at keeping possession of the puck along the boards, but this season he's been coughing it up a lot.

I would hold on to Lewis, he usually plays well in the playoffs (yeah, I know you have to GET there first), and he brings some speed to the bottom 6. I think Gagne has played better recently (maybe not so much this game), I think the production will come.

The 2 games before this one were probably the best of the season. Early game, playing the hawks, lose by one; 0 pts but no reason to panic just yet.

RonSwanson*

Ok, so if our AHL guys are likely best suited to come up next year, why can we move some combination of guys like Penner, King, Nolam, Lewis, Drewiskie, prospects, picks, and get something that works?

Good luck with that. You think other teams are chomping at the bit to trade for the reigning champs' zero point players?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Aren't the Kings one of the better advanced stat teams or whatever it's called? Bury a chance or two. Clifford has a couple ES goals, so it's not an impossible task.

You have to take all Statistics with a grain of salt. Some teams like the Sharks, last year had very nice Fenwick, Corsi ETC.

But they got destroyed playing certain teams.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I think someone would take Penner. It wouldn't be for much, but it would open up a roster spot.

The Kings would have to cover his salary, No one is going to pay his 3m for Zero production and effort.

Put it this way, Carolina gave the Kings a 4th rounder, so they would eat Stewart's 900k.....

KingKopitar11*

The Kings would have to cover his salary, No one is going to pay his 3m for Zero production and effort.

Put it this way, Carolina gave the Kings a 4th rounder, so they would eat Stewart's 900k.....

Maybe Ottawa

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Maybe Ottawa

Yes , cause Penner would fit in perfect with that speed pond hockey crap Ottawa plays.

Perfect for that system. Do you guys even read and think before you post?

Think about that....What type of Hockey is played in the East Coast....

Would Penner fit into it ?

Unless the Kings buyout Penner, they are stuck with him.

I would be Shocked if Lombardi is able to move him.....SHOCKED.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Just finished the game, man the 1st half was brutal. They played as if they just got off the plane, and went straight to the game.Quick loses his stick on 2 goals, no offense whatsoever, pretty much dominated. Glad they woke up in the third, but unfortunately the hole they dug was too deep. Didnt like the call on Muzzin. I mean, I know they're cracking down on that kind of play, but that was so borderline and I saw it let go more than once during the game.

The final pp was good but I thought they went away from how they scored the first 2 after Richards took the early shot. They kept feeding it to the middle of the slot instead of going out to the point which had been working. Chicago is a damn good team, and unfortunately they have our number this year. On to Canada...

KingKopitar11*

Yes , cause Penner would fit in perfect with that speed pond hockey crap Ottawa plays.

Perfect for that system. Do you guys even read and think before you post?

Think about that....What type of Hockey is played in the East Coast....

Would Penner fit into it ?

Unless the Kings buyout Penner, they are stuck with him.

Lol why are you being so butthurt? They could use his size.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You have to take all Statistics with a grain of salt. Some teams like the Sharks, last year had very nice Fenwick, Corsi ETC.

But they got destroyed playing certain teams.

And I think with the exception of last year, the Kane-Toews Hawks were that team for us. Their transition game and speed gave us fits...if we're a "big" team built for the playoffs, the Hawks are exactly our kryptonite...fast and skilled, but not manhandled easily for a whole game (2nd and third periods saw improvement in that area by the Kings). Doesn't help that they're the hottest team I've seen in a long time this year. I'm not prepared to throw in the towel after a 3-2 loss to these guys.

All that being said, we have some work to do--I'm very down on King right now. Less on his production and more on his bad decision-making...the guy is a human turnover right now. I could live with 0 points if he wasn't a liability. What a waste of size he is right now.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
And I think with the exception of last year, the Kane-Toews Hawks were that team for us. Their transition game and speed gave us fits...if we're a "big" team built for the playoffs, the Hawks are exactly our kryptonite...fast and skilled, but not manhandled easily for a whole game (2nd and third periods saw improvement in that area by the Kings). Doesn't help that they're the hottest team I've seen in a long time this year. I'm not prepared to throw in the towel after a 3-2 loss to these guys.

All that being said, we have some work to do--I'm very down on King right now. Less on his production and more on his bad decision-making...the guy is a human turnover right now. I could live with 0 points if he wasn't a liability. What a waste of size he is right now.

Exactly the Blues were just awful for the Sharks last year.

A team like Van is a good match for the Kings. The Kings style is what makes the Nucks an average team.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I think i remember tg saying this so ill give him credit for the idea but i so agree with him. I think we bring up Kozan and send nolon down. Kozan is as ready as he can get and if we re going to ever bring him up now is the time. Yes he maybe a little small but hes shown the grit to score alot of goals and points in the minors. We are a very big team and i think his scoreing touch is needed. This would bring a new look to the 3rd line. I also agree richardson should be gone but i want at least a 3rd for him. This waving idea isnt what we need to do. get something for the asset no matter how small

KingKopitar11*

I think i remember tg saying this so ill give him credit for the idea but i so agree with him. I think we bring up Kozan and send nolon down. Kozan is as ready as he can get and if we re going to ever bring him up now is the time. Yes he maybe a little small but hes shown the grit to score alot of goals and points in the minors. We are a very big team and i think his scoreing touch is needed. This would bring a new look to the 3rd line. I also agree richardson should be gone but i want at least a 3rd for him. This waving idea isnt what we need to do. get something for the asset no matter how small

No one would give a 3rd for richardson

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

No team is going to give a Third for a press box player, that costs 1.2m...

A 5th or 6th would be a steal by Lombardi.

Guys remember the Cap is going DOWN. That places players on entry level contracts and Draft picks at a Premium.

That is why a Guy like King would be snatched up off waivers.

Size,Can skate, Doesn't cost much. ETC.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Lewis contributes nothing in the offensive zone. One of three players without a point. Take a guess who the other two are...

Hell even BERNIER has an Assist for a point. :laugh:

IMO, the lines should be something along this ...

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
Gagne - Richards - Carter
Penner - Stoll - Clifford
King/Richardson - Fraser/Lewis - Nolan

And I'm sorry ... but you CAN'T hate on Muzzin for that Penalty. He FINALLY uses his big boy body to make a nice check, one that in the past was NEVER going to be called anything other than a nice hit, and somehow this year of ticky tack 'can't hit in the NHL' it gets a weak call ... NO, I'll take Muzzin doing THAT and twice in the next game if he becomes a more physical player in his end in the vain of Matt Greene. You can't tell the kid NOT to make a play like that, when your 8 Million dollar man Doughty does much worse on a regular basis and gets an atta boy Drew for it.

Also stop sucking on the teat of Voynov, kid made back to back horrible pass / turn overs first in the neutral zone and then in his own end late in the game also in the span of 30 seconds, and I saw only 1 person bring it up in the GDT. Not ragging on him, he's been overall one of our better D-man, just that he DOES miss Big Willie back there covering up for his mistakes, and Scuderi is just getting too beat up and over used to cover everyone's mistakes, including his own. The guy needs a rest and/or fewer minutes on the ice.

Anyways SOLID 25 minutes of play from the Boyz tonight, too bad the game was 60 minutes long and they didn't show up for the first 35 against the Best team in the NHL. Whatchya gonna do ? :( onto the next game.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
No team is going to give a Third for a press box player, that costs 1.2m...

A 5th or 6th would be a steal by Lombardi.

Guys remember the Cap is going DOWN. That places players on entry level contracts and Draft picks at a Premium.

I disagree i think 3rd isnt that bad for a player that can help a team on its pk with speed . All depends on how desperate a team is to improve a pk. If they dont have alot of cap left Richardson could be effective He does play all 3 postions. Also think of how well people have been doing when they get out of la. I can see a team gambling on him for a 3rd

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Kings aren't in a position of strength when it comes to trades. No 1st rounder this year(none 2 out of the last 3 years either), 2 veteran defensemen maybe gone for the year, unproductive forwards, and struggling to stay out of the bottom of the conference and league. No team is going to help the Kings. If you want something good, Lombardi will have to give something good.

The question is; is it all in with this group because they won the Cup and deserve the best chance to win it again and deal with the consequences in the future, or does the Cup buy time?

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
the entire game was crap. i saw it firsthand. that was $200 pissed away. first 20-minutes completely pissed away, with zero effort. i don't think they touched the puck the entire first period. the first period was an outright embarrassment.

it was 3-0 while still grabbing a beer and standing at a pisser, before i got back to my seat for the 2nd. what a craptastic effort gents.

say what you want about the last half of the game, but i didnt see it. they did pick up the tempo, i will give you/them that. BUT it was by no means enough to look at as a positive to grow upon. the first 30-minutes were a disgrace for the SC champs to exhibit on any given day.

NBC was probably killing themselves for covering that game by the 2nd period at some point. the rate they are going they might as well skip and mail in the L for each road game at this point, especially if it's an afternoon game.

personally i think staying back in LA for the morning skate and leaving yesterday was total fail. this team struggles with traveling east and adjusting to time. so wtf do they not take advantage of not traveling after the CLB game and using all of Saturday to adjust? essentially they started today when they would usually be settling down for the afternoon nap, which was painfully evident.

can't really comment on the atmosphere at the UC all that much. why? because LA played so poorly the place was quiet pretty much the entire time. the opening and anthem is always great, J Cornelius gets the place going with his anthem. after that it was calm, quiet and tame. i went to see the Kings play, instead the Queens showed up

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I disagree i think 3rd isnt that bad for a player that can help a team on its pk with speed . All depends on how desperate a team is to improve a pk. If they dont have alot of cap left Richardson could be effective He does play all 3 postions. Also think of how well people have been doing when they get out of la. I can see a team gambling on him for a 3rd

Richardson is awful Defensively, you thinking of Lewis ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad