Game 13: Kings vs. Blackhawks - 2/17/13 - Another Regulation Loss...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's bad when Sniper Rob Scuderi (1), has just as many or more goals than:

Simon Gagne (0)
Drew Doughty(0)
Colin Fraser(0)
Dustin Penner(0)
Trevor Lewis(0)
Dwight King(0)
Justin Williams(1) - Shooting % is a whopping 2.3%
Jake Muzzin(1)
Jordan Nolan(1)

Simply put, the Kings are not going to win many hockey games with this many guys unable to score. It's about time to stop using the excuse the season is just starting and not in hockey shape yada yada. 12 games....let that sink in..12 games.

Today was another example, zero offense generated outside all the PP time in the 3rd. Only reason kings were able to get going somewhat is chicago backed off the forecheck as they were protecting a 3-0 lead.

The name on that list that disappoints me the most is Williams. He is constantly making bad decisions with the puck, something you wouldn't expect from a veteran winger whose been around the game for a long time.

Dwight King has also been a big disappointment and is looking like the second incarnation of Chris Kontos. It's a classic example of the old saying -- "every dog has his day." Hell, John Druce looked like a superstar sniper during the 1990 playoffs with 14 goals in 15 games, numbers he was never able to replicate again. Unfortunately he's looking like a flash in the pan.

I think many of us were expecting more from Trevor Lewis this season. While nobody expects him to be an offensive juggernaut, what we saw from Lewis during the playoffs was an assertive winger who would be the first to the puck, with strong defensive plays who could force turnovers with his speed. Now we're seeing a reincarnation of Craig Johnson: aimless speed.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Your a pessimist. Why even be a fan? This is not the kings of the 80's we don't have to tear everything down, just get healthy and maybe a little tweak.

I fail to see the connection that because I don't see the Kings as a contender this year I shouldn't be a fan. We're not scoring. In a shortened season if you're not scoring you're not going to make the playoffs. So again, how does me calling for a re-load, which is moving expiring contracts (and that doesn't mean all of them) and dead weight for picks and long term solutions mean I shouldn't be a fan?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The name on that list that disappoints me the most is Williams. He is constantly making bad decisions with the puck, something you wouldn't expect from a veteran winger whose been around the game for a long time.

Dwight King has also been a big disappointment and is looking like the second incarnation of Chris Kontos. It's a classic example of the old saying -- "every dog has his day." Hell, John Druce looked like a superstar sniper during the 1990 playoffs with 14 goals in 15 games, numbers he was never able to replicate again. Unfortunately he's looking like a flash in the pan.

I think many of us were expecting more from Trevor Lewis this season. While nobody expects him to be an offensive juggernaut, what we saw from Lewis during the playoffs was an assertive winger who would be the first to the puck, with strong defensive plays who could force turnovers with his speed. Now we're seeing a reincarnation of Craig Johnson: aimless speed.

None of the guys you just mentioned are paid 7 Million Dollars to score.

One name on that list is. With Plenty of time on the PP.

Everyone loves to pick on Stoll, Williams, ETC.

But are these guys responsible for carrying the Kings ? .....Not even close.

Williams should be the least of people's concerns..

Kopitar and Drew right now, are down right frightening.
I don't even recognize the guy in Kopitar's jersey.

Need to put up a picture of Kopitar on a milk carton, did he even play the game in Chicago ?

Like there is some scrub skating around in his jersey; call the cops Kopitar has been kidnapped.

Including last year, it's now been 31 games since Gagne last scored a goal.....

31 GAMES. How does that even happen.

Last edited:

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
None of the guys you just mentioned are paid 7 Million Dollars to score.

One name on that list is. With Plenty of time on the PP.

Everyone loves to pick on Stoll, Williams, ETC.

But are these guys responsible for carrying the Kings ? .....Not even close.

Williams should be the least of people's concerns..

Kopitar and Drew right now, are down right frightening.
I don't even recognize the guy in Kopitar's jersey.

Need to put up a picture of Kopitar on a milk carton, did he even play the game in Chicago ?

Like there is some scrub skating around in his jersey; call the cops Kopitar has been kidnapped.

Including last year, it's now been 31 games since Gagne last scored a goal.....

31 GAMES. How does that even happen.

Well...There's a website dedicated to such a player.

http://didgomezscore.com/

bobafettish*

I fail to see the connection that because I don't see the Kings as a contender this year I shouldn't be a fan. We're not scoring. In a shortened season if you're not scoring you're not going to make the playoffs. So again, how does me calling for a re-load, which is moving expiring contracts (and that doesn't mean all of them) and dead weight for picks and long term solutions mean I shouldn't be a fan?

did you see the kings as a contender last year?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I think reload is a key word. I am not ready to throw this season away. But there should be some flexibility for DL this summer.

Penner, Richardson and Gagne are for sure gone, that is 8 million off the books. Stoll should be moved for anyone willing to give a 4th or 5th. No way you can justify paying a #4 center who only does one thing relatively well that much money. That is another 3+ mill freed up. That is about 10 million in space, two of those spots can filled by younger players and that gives the Kings plenty of room to upgrade some of these bottom line spots and possibly get another scorer. The Kings will be strong down the middle, which is a good start.

Brown - Kopitar - ???
??? - Carter - Williams
Clifford - Richards - ???
Nolan - ???? - ????

Lots of holes, assume one of the top 6 is filled by Toffoli and the other by UFA. Lewis and King will have to compete to keep their jobs. The Kings should be in the market for another solid 3rd line player to play with Clifford and Richards which has the makings of being an excellent 3rd line.

Kings have a solid foundation, just way to many guys playing terribly and possibly playing their way out of LA (Stoll, Lewis, King, Penner, Gagne)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Perry would look good next to Kopitar. The elite winger we need.

He is, but unless you want Brown to walk after next season he's not the cap hit we need. IMO it's going to be very difficult to improve the team this offseason without getting rid of Stoll. Then take into account we're also going to be giving raises to Clifford, Voynov, and Martinez plus Scuds is leaving. I think we might need to trade Alec, keep Scuderi. Stoll leaving is something that absolutely has to happen but I just can't see Dean doing it.

Trading Stoll wouldn't be that hard because there are lots of teams that could use somebody like him. Wouldn't be surprised to see him fetch a 2nd or even a good bottom sixer that could fit in.

Monarchist

Dec 27, 2010
Considering who might realistically be available ... what about trading for Milan Michalek, and maybe Alfredson too? Ottawa is not making the playoffs without Spezza and Karlsson, so they are sellers.

Not sure what kind of futures they'd want in return. Young players like Dwight King, prospects, and draft picks?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Dean's loyalty and love of Stoll is a bit strange to say the least. He has failed in every role he has ever been given in LA, then they go out and ink him to a borderline insane contract extension. But as much as Dean loves him, there is no way he can justify spending as much as he is on Stoll, the ROI is among the worst in the NHL when it comes to Stoll. And if the lineup stays the same the Kings are looking at over 20 million a year in cap space just on centers.

The money freed up from the three underachieving players paid like second liners (Gagne, Penner, Stoll) could go a long way in filling the holes on the roster.

Probably also time to turn the page on Brad Richardson. Another 1.2 mill in cap space for a spot the Kings could be paying someone close to the league minimum to occupy.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Dean's loyalty and love of Stoll is a bit strange to say the least. He has failed in every role he has ever been given in LA, then they go out and ink him to a borderline insane contract extension. But as much as Dean loves him, there is no way he can justify spending as much as he is on Stoll, the ROI is among the worst in the NHL when it comes to Stoll. And if the lineup stays the same the Kings are looking at over 20 million a year in cap space just on centers.

The money freed up from the three underachieving players paid like second liners (Gagne, Penner, Stoll) could go a long way in filling the holes on the roster.

Probably also time to turn the page on Brad Richardson. Another 1.2 mill in cap space for a spot the Kings could be paying someone close to the league minimum to occupy.

Why hasn't Richardson been playing anyway? Has he been that bad in practice to not give him a chance?

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
It's bad when Sniper Rob Scuderi (1), has just as many or more goals than:

Simon Gagne (0)
Drew Doughty(0)
Colin Fraser(0)
Dustin Penner(0)
Trevor Lewis(0)
Dwight King(0)
Justin Williams(1) - Shooting % is a whopping 2.3%
Jake Muzzin(1)
Jordan Nolan(1)

I was losing my mind watching Kopitar play today. Every season the guy has to be reminded that he needs to shoot the puck to be effective. He had 0 shots on goal today and has had 7 shots in the last 8 games.

Not sure if it's the knee, but Kopitar looks like shell of his former self out there

KingKopitar11*

I was losing my mind watching Kopitar play today. Every season the guy has to be reminded that he needs to shoot the puck to be effective. He had 0 shots on goal today and has had 7 shots in the last 8 games.

Not sure if it's the knee, but Kopitar looks like shell of his former self out there

It's not his knee maybe the first game or so, but this long. He just doesn't give a **** and you can tell by the way he plays. It's so frustrating to have such an inconsistent player

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia

To be honest he didn't look good during his stint in Sweden and that was before he got injured and against weaker opposition. :dunno: WTF is wrong with him wright now.

KingKopitar11*

All in all, we have too much dead weight on the bottom 6/scratched players as well. We need to sell the abundance in a package get a nice top 6, insert Toffoli, and have the remainders play, maybe trade for a good 3rd liner. Whatever happens happens. Justgotta get rid of the dead weight and try some of our top 6 kids make some trades and we'd be good to go. Unless Kopitar is Still playing like **** then we still won't make it lol .

KingKopitar11*

To be honest he didn't look good during his stint in Sweden and that was before he got injured and against weaker opposition. :dunno: WTF is wrong with him wright now.

As Lucic said, you lose passion after you win, and Kopitar is showing that on ice.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
As Lucic said, you lose passion after you win, and Kopitar is showing that on ice.

Kopitar is notorious for disappearing for months at a time. He always has a strong October, disappears from November to January, and emerges in mid-late February as a top-10 center. We've been saying this for three years now: When will Kopitar break out?! I'm starting to think that he never will. He is what he is and we have no reason to believe otherwise. I think he'll turn his game on near March and we'll be looking back and saying, "Why the **** didn't he show us this all season?"

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Kopitar is notorious for disappearing for months at a time. He always has a strong October, disappears from November to January, and emerges in mid-late February as a top-10 center. We've been saying this for three years now: When will Kopitar break out?! I'm starting to think that he never will. He is what he is and we have no reason to believe otherwise. I think he'll turn his game on near March and we'll be looking back and saying, "Why the **** didn't he show us this all season?"

Another Brown in the making, Every year we think "this is the year Brown stays consistent with his game"..

Every year it never happens.

Brown will have one month (probably April) that he hits everything in sight, and every puck he puts on net goes in.

Looks like Kopitar is the same.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The next two games are winnable. So the Kings do have that.

Win the next two, forget about this stinker.

The Kings better get at least 3 points out of this back to back.

Or they are in trouble.

If they only manage 2,1 or Zero....They would have to go on an unreal tear in March (just to climb back into the race).

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
Another Brown in the making, Every year we think "this is the year Brown stays consistent with his game"..

Every year it never happens.

Brown will have one month (probably April) that he hits everything in sight, and every puck he puts on net goes in.

Looks like Kopitar is the same.

As long as it happens in playoffs..fine. But getting there. Hmm?

Inner Turbulence

Jun 12, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark

That seems harsh. Very harsh. I am not saying that Kopi is playing well right now, but he seems to be at least trying to throw his body around more ... so I think he's trying to make an effort.

But the offence isn't coming together. Kopi isn't the kind of superstar that does it all on his own. And since the whole offense basically is dysfunctional (with slight signs of improvement) he is struggling there. I am not absolving him from blame, he isn't playing well, but it's a team thing.

Personally, I am lot less impressed by the Captain Dustin Brown. He's not playing physical. Not like he used to. He's not doing much. IMO.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I think reload is a key word. I am not ready to throw this season away. But there should be some flexibility for DL this summer.

Penner, Richardson and Gagne are for sure gone, that is 8 million off the books. Stoll should be moved for anyone willing to give a 4th or 5th. No way you can justify paying a #4 center who only does one thing relatively well that much money. That is another 3+ mill freed up. That is about 10 million in space, two of those spots can filled by younger players and that gives the Kings plenty of room to upgrade some of these bottom line spots and possibly get another scorer. The Kings will be strong down the middle, which is a good start.

Brown - Kopitar - ???
??? - Carter - Williams
Clifford - Richards - ???
Nolan - ???? - ????

Lots of holes, assume one of the top 6 is filled by Toffoli and the other by UFA. Lewis and King will have to compete to keep their jobs. The Kings should be in the market for another solid 3rd line player to play with Clifford and Richards which has the makings of being an excellent 3rd line.

Kings have a solid foundation, just way to many guys playing terribly and possibly playing their way out of LA (Stoll, Lewis, King, Penner, Gagne)

Richards will be back on the second line. Putting him on the third line for a couple of games doesn't make it permanent and it makes no sense since they can't give him wingers that are up to his level.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Shake-up is a scary word. I would like to add a guy like Grabner from NYI. Plays both sides of center with speed and good hands. Help Kopitar push the defense back

Would also like Clutterbuck on the bottom 6 to bring the body and still add some offense.

Also need a veteran on D. I would check the availability of Hamrlik in Washington.

Clutterbuck and Hamrlik are not high ticket guys, yes they would cost a bit,maybe we sacrific a guy like King, Richardson, Fraser, Lewis, Penner, etc plus a low pick.

I would love to see Grabner develop on Kopitars wing. Signed this year plus 3 more at 3 mil a year. Would take over Gagne's spot and salary commitment. Scored 54 goals the last 2 years and is only 24

Love this thought process. Clutterbuck definitely a guy I would love to see in LA. I think he'd be a perfect fit on RW with Stoll or Richards, whoever our 3rd line center is. Has 15 goal, 30pt capabilities.

Grabner would add speed and a scoring touch our team sorely lacks. Im thinking it would take a Bernier type to pry him away from NY though and we might need to add.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Richards will be back on the second line. Putting him on the third line for a couple of games doesn't make it permanent and it makes no sense since they can't give him wingers that are up to his level.

You're wasting your ink here. That is Herby's thoughts on what he'd do if he was the coach. He feels the need to type that Richards should be on the 3rd line at least once a day.
Sutter stated why he temporarily moved Richards down for a few games and already moved him back w/Carter for most of the game yesterday and it paid off. That was the best line. The Kings need wins, they need goals and Richards and Carter together will do that, esp since the 1st line has been struggling most of the year.
I wonder if Sutter will kmove Williams back there and slot Gagne with MR and JC?

I'm curious to see later today what the lines are at practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad