Post-Game Talk: GAME 10 - A well earned 2 points - BRUINS 3 Hogtown 2 F/SO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
. I've watched the video a few times and IMO it could have been a tripping call on #63 but that's it. It's unfortunate that Liljegren was injured & couldn't return to the game but
a hit that causes injury does not automatically make it a cheap hit. A lot depends on how fast the players are skating plus stick & body positions at the time of the hit.

Sometimes shit just happens. :(
Lils skate hits Brads and his other skate ends up hitting lils. Watch lil cut off brad prior to contact.

Reactions: BMC

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I personally think, it is not correct to wish any harm or injury to players. I understand the emotional point behind it and the love giving to our local team, but it remains unacceptable comments. I just don't think it is necessary nor acceptable, if it comes out of any fans and/or myself. it remains a game and an entertainment show.
In an ideal world, no. But this is not an ideal world. If, for example, something happened to Wilson, I would not shed one tear.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Same feelings here. Was hoping if not the Bs then he'd at least go to a team I don't dislike so much. Been a fan of his since his days in Detroit. Was even a fan of his uncle. Still have a Bertuzzi Canucks sweater.

Would be great if the Bs could bring him back. Something clicked here for him. I get that he has defensive shortcomings, but those are masked pretty easily by Monty's system and two ridiculous goalies. Most he's smiled all season was pre-game comments talking about Marchy, then laughing from the bench at Marchy and Reaves interaction. He should be a B.

I'm definitely a Tyler fan and want him back in Boston, but I disagree on Todd. Can't get past that sucker punch his uncle threw on Moore

tremha77

Jul 16, 2022
You had that idiot Ferraro on the broadcast immediately setting the agenda talking about it was a can opener. It was a nothing play two guys going for the puck and got tangled up. I swear the crying from the Canuck Toronto and Montreal is insufferable. They actually want marchand suspended. I’ve seen that play a thousand times against the Bruins you just hope the player falling awkwardly in to the boards gets up.
he did get his stick between his legs and use his body to put him off balance. likely worthy of a penalty

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Ex-NHL star Paul Bissonnette comes to Brad Marchand's defense amid controversial hit on Timothy Liljegren
1699037195732.png

Also from the article, Matt Larkin:
1699037243222.png

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
One only has to look at the main board, where threads about Matthews' off-season antics get shuttered, and any Brad Marchand thread goes to 2 or 3 parts, to see what is at work here.
Seems the Main Board finds Brad much more interesting than Matthews

Reactions: Gordoff

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The more I watch this tandem go the more I think we need to keep it together.

DS needs to sit these guys down come to an agreement. Yes, both these guys can get a nice chunk of change in FA but whoever signs them is gonna ride them like a rented mule. DS needs to sell them on a prolonged career at 6-6.5M each per year.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Oooo fancy graphs and stuff.

Coyle was an absolute force on the face offs last night. Same with Beecher.
No question TOR's strength is offense. When Coyle wins 18/22 draws and Beecher wins 7/7, that's 25 out of 29 times those two guys helped prevent the Leafs from going on offense. Can't be stressed enough how important that component was in last night's close game.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

DS needs to sit these guys down come to an agreement. Yes, both these guys can get a nice chunk of change in FA but whoever signs them is gonna ride them like a rented mule. DS needs to sell them on a prolonged career at 6-6.5M each per year.
That makes a lot of sense. I like it.

Good post as usual.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I taped the game and watched the play 5 times at 1/15 speed.Lil moved into Brads lane to cut him off. Brad tied up his stick and lils skate hit Brads skate and the rest is history. Check it out if you can

You can clearly see brads stick in between his legs. The 2nd view you can see the blade of brads stick on the heel of liljgrens left skate and brad pulls his skate up with the blade of his stick.

I really don’t care at all, I don’t think brad should get in trouble. Contact was initiated by liljgren, but it was also a can opener.

But who the hell really cares.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Randoms:

- Good competitive, high-tempo game by both teams. Some of the Bruins' puck management in the first period was rancid but as usual they got away with it. They lifted after the first goal and apart from a couple of short stretches here and there they held their own against the vaunted Leafs top 6 despite being short on experienced defenders.

- Swayman made some huge saves. He's gone up another gear this year. I know it's been said here already but I can only reiterate that while Ullmark had the slight edge last season, they're now both absolutely playing at the same elite level. Ullmark is probably still a little stronger positionally and just having that bit more ability to anticipate things that comes with experience, but Sway is more agile.

- Heinen already proving his value. Some smart plays, a couple of extra effort moments as seen in the leadup to Zacha's goal, an ability to quickly slot in with multiple different linemates without fuss. He also found himself chest to chest with Reaves in scuffles around the net at least twice, which felt un-Heinen-like. I don't think he was ever in danger of having to drop the gloves, but still, is there just a little bit of an extra edge there perhaps?

- Marchand absolutely got away with a can-opener on Liljegren, and a subtle sweeping of the leg for good measure. No intent to injure, but it was a reckless play so near to the boards. If I were a Leafs fan I'd be irate. Bit of a weird one in that the neutrals on ESPN (including their 'rules expert') thought it was just a fair hard contest, but on 98.5 they immediately identified it as an illegal play. Hope Tim isn't out for too long.

- Monty continues to look at different combos and options. Poitras centering Zacha and Pasta worked quite well last game. This time he kept the same line but mostly had Zacha in the middle and taking the draws, and it didn't go so well. Some unflattering stats and not much impact on offense, mostly facing off against the Nylander-Tavares-Bertuzzi/Knies line, which was easily Toronto's best. Just one game so can't really take much from it, but my preference is definitely for Poitras to stay at center, whether it's with those guys or whoever else. Fortunately for the Bruins someone almost always steps up, and it was the Coyle line's turn this time. Great high-intensity effort from them all night. JVR-Geekie-Fred were solid again too.

- Lohrei looked like he belonged, no fear. If he can consistently find the right balance between his keen offensive instincts and playing sound D he's going to be very effective in this league. The first game of many.

I think you're wrong about the Marchand / Lilly play. Lilly looks over, sees Marchand, and moves to cut in front of him to slow down Marchand's puck pursuit. Marchand keeps his speed and they both go into a stick battle, with Marchand overpowering Lilly. It's never good to see a player injured like that but that was in no way a dirty play via a can opener or leg sweep; he simply lost the stick battle and their sticks/legs got caught up in each other.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen

For sure. It's by far the #1 reason for their success the past couple of seasons. Also, if they don't rotate goalies in the playoffs this year we need to riot

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
For sure. It's by far the #1 reason for their success the past couple of seasons. Also, if they don't rotate goalies in the playoffs this year we need to riot
100% if Monty didn't learn from his mistakes, two slaps and the door is that way. This is a tandem and must be used as such. Something the league hasn't seen in years and probably won't for many to come. This is the secret sauce.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

You can clearly see brads stick in between his legs. The 2nd view you can see the blade of brads stick on the heel of liljgrens left skate and brad pulls his skate up with the blade of his stick.

I really don’t care at all, I don’t think brad should get in trouble. Contact was initiated by liljgren, but it was also a can opener.

But who the hell really cares.
If you slow the second replay down to 1/15 speed it shows what I’m talking about

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I still remember Devils fans saying Zacha is a lazy player.

I'm just not seeing it at all. He works his tail off night in and night out. I feel like he could have 15 points already if not for some bad puck luck.
Has he ever had legitimate veteran talent on the wing to play with in NJ? Or did they stick him with other kids and then demote him down the lines and then to wing?
I wonder if he gave up on the Devils the past few seasons because he felt they gave up on him? I think they expected him to be the guy since being drafted, here he does not HAVE to be the guy. Pasta and Marchand are. He also has DeBrusk to be the guy on a line. No pressure on him. He is being left to play his own game with talent that makes use of it.

Just me thinking here

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I’m GM I want a top 5 as good as Boston has

Even if you lose a guy you have a top 4 that’s strong

The Grzelcyk obsession is comical.

We have people already worried about Grzelcyk in April anc the Halloween stuff is still out

Dollar Store Donny would be wise to go with a top 7 that includes the original 6 plus Lohrei

Grzelcyk greatest value is to Boston - No rebuild team will be trading for him

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad