Post-Game Talk: Game 1 Pens vs Rangers: It was ugly

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He just recently re-signed here, he knew what he was getting into.
So, you're ok with him going down with the ship? I'm not so sure he is. I'm sure he believed they'd be competitive, they won't be. Let's see how long he wants to suffer.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
This team loves to torture us so they won't be completely shit. They'll win a a couple, lose a couple and stay right around the wildcard all season

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
From Pensburgh’s review of the game…lol

• Shot selection and ability to hit the target was an issue. Through two periods: the Pens had 19 SOG, 13 more attempts got blocked by the Rangers and 18 attempts missed. A lot of those misses (Rakell 4, Crosby 3, Bunting 2) were from players and spots where they needed better. Through 40 minutes that made for only 38% of shot attempts ending up as actual shots. The Rangers were much better in that regard (58%) in the same period.
  • On one hand, there’s no sense in over-reacting to one game’s results. On the other hand, the Pens look like a piecemeal team of older stars mis-matched with random spare pieces jettisoned from their old teams for not being that good (because, well..that’s what they are). Shouldn’t be a major surprise that was hopelessly outmatched against a top team who showed up to play. In reality, both things can be true. It is only one game but it’s not a good first glimpse at what could lie ahead
Actual shooting talent is something that's been missing for awhile. Jake leaving didn't help. That's where I was like "go get Sprong" right before FA started.

Reactions: Andy99

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So, you're ok with him going down with the ship? I'm not so sure he is. I'm sure he believed they'd be competitive, they won't be. Let's see how long he wants to suffer.
No, I want him to end his career winning cups and be on a team that gives him wingers. But he made his choice re-signing knowing he will get nothing, he cares about his legacy here, so I am OK with him riding a sinking ship. It's not about what I want, it's about what he wants.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This team loves to torture us so they won't be completely shit. They'll win a a couple, lose a couple and stay right around the wildcard all season
Not even close. That's a pipedream. We'll see if you feel that way after the first 10 games.

No, I want him to end his career winning cups and be on a team that gives him wingers. But he made his choice re-signing knowing he will get nothing, he cares about his legacy here, so I am OK with him riding a sinking ship.
I think he'll be moved at some point. We need to think of the future. Crosby is the past! And after not winning a damn thing since 2018, it's a distant past.

Go try and win a cup with Nate, helps us accrue assets, and don't soil your legacy further by missing the playoffs for the final 5-6 years of your career.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Werner also said in the article, referring to Sullivan, “we think he’s a top2-3 coach in the league “…lol, although what “league” he is referring to is up for debate…
Some beer league in the back alleys of boston would be my guess.

Reactions: Andy99

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
1728529565084.gif

Reactions: Ryder71

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Team looked good to start the 1st, but I don't see how anyone could play with confidence in front of Jarry at this point. Letting them in early and often is a great recipe for hopelessness. It's always a steep uphill climb.

Play Blomqvist until Ned is healthy.

I also don't see why Sullivan steadfastly refuses to take goalies out after they give up a few bad ones early after its worked so consistently when opponents do it against his team.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
What was good about Beauvillier on the top line? I mostly saw him falling down and flubbing chances.

DOC was atrocious too.

Sid had had enough of that game by the time the second period started lol.
He got a couple of shots on net, was trying to create something with his limited skill and IQ, but the way he attacked was from the left to the right, like a left winger would, so the right wing usage was just poor coaching decision that didn’t help his cause and to be honest, you have two players like that flanking Crosby which does literally nothing for him. So a player like Puustinen with Doc or Beau with Sid would have made sense to drive offense and you can also use Puustinen on the powerplay.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Rust is back in tomorrow vs the Wings.

I missed the post game presser, anything good?

Oh, we're gonna be so bad.
Gonna? We there mate. We’ve been there for a couple of years now.

Reactions: Pancakes

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I also don't see why Sullivan steadfastly refuses to take goalies out after they give up a few bad ones early after its worked so consistently when opponents do it against his team.
I was kinda shocked to see Jarry come out to start the 2nd after letting that third goal in late. I wonder if Ned was available if he would have turned to him.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Team looked good to start the 1st, but I don't see how anyone could play with confidence in front of Jarry at this point. Letting them in early and often is a great recipe for hopelessness. It's always a steep uphill climb.

Play Blomqvist until Ned is healthy.

They looked good for maybe 5mins, then the defensive zone collapse came one after another, perimeter shots galore, typical Sullivan style.

Starting Blomqvist tomorrow would suck for the lad, he’ll get wrecked behind this defense.

That cluelessly smug Bostonian prick would be outcoached by a f***ing Timbits coach nowadays.
Pretty sure Eric Tangradi would do a better job behind that bench.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
They looked good for maybe 5mins, then the defensive zone collapse came one after another, perimeter shots galore, typical Sullivan style.

Starting Blomqvist tomorrow would suck for the lad, he’ll get wrecked behind this defense.

Pretty sure Eric Tangradi would do a better job behind that bench.
If he doesn't let in the first shot on net, it'll be an improvement.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I think boys competed hard, they played hard, with passion. They deserved better for those first three minutes, for sure. Then the first goal happened. You know, it happens. Then they need to stick to it. That sticktoitivness needs to be a bit better after that. It´s a tough league, there are good teams and boys played one of them. So they need to sticktoit a bit better. But for the most part I thought they tried their best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad