Post-Game Talk: Game 1 Pens vs Rangers: It was ugly

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Most of us going into the season probably had the Pens somewhere around 6th mayyybe 5th in the Metro at best. So not even expecting them to be a playoff team or good.

They somehow managed to look even worse than the already low expectations for them tonight. Impressive.

There's sucking because your coach, GM, and roster sucks.

Then there's sucking because your players don't seem to care.

At this point I'm going out on a limb and guessing the best Penguins hockey we will see all year is leading into the deadline where support players are trying to make their case to other teams.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He chose to stay here for 2 more years.
NO, He chose to sign a contract that lasts two more years. That doesn't mean he can't be traded. He can however choose where he goes. I'm think COL possibly.

Because the REAL pain for this club, is about to begin.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
These responses being right next to each other is really funny. Because I don't know if the stellar bit was because he was invisible in a 0-6 game or if it was sarcastic, or if it was real. So many possibilities

Are you a buyer?

If so, let me take you on a 30 second test drive where the tank is nearly empty and show you the possibilities.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There's sucking because your coach, GM, and roster sucks.

Then there's sucking because your players don't seem to care.

At this point I'm going out on a limb and guessing the best Penguins hockey we will see all year is leading into the deadline where support players are trying to make their case to other teams.
They cared until it was 2-0.

It says a lot about their faith in Sullivan's system and Jarry's goaltending that as soon as they went down a couple they basically gave up and got run out of the building.

This is not a team that believes in what they're doing and they don't believe in the guy between the pipes.

It's gonna get ugly.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
To me, it was his SIX shots on goal. None went in, true. And yeah, he flubbed several chances. What that means is that playing with Sid, he continuously, throughout the game, put himself in scoring positions. Had he not flubbed several, he may have had upwards of 10. I think we can work with that.

ZAR often had shots on goal too.

If that's what you're looking at - ignore it. That line was about as worse of a Penguins line as I've witnessed in the last ten, maybe 15 years.

Tanner Pearson era Penguins would have made that line look pedestrian.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Not to be too melodramatic, but watching such generational talents who have provided years and years of brilliance hobble into the sunset in a protracted, long and insufferable two or three year decline has all the hallmarks of a really depressing Bergman movie.

• Haha
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Pittsburgh
The saddest thing for me is what outrageous mismanagement over the past 5 years does for the legacy of Sid and Geno.

We just double down on stupid. Again and again.

Never thought my not watching games while Sully is coach would last this long though.
Not really. This core will always be remembered for their three cups. This era'd denouement will be forgotten to the annals of history. It sucks to live through because there is little hope for the future (the prospects aren't here yet) OR the present (today's game).

This year, and the next few to follow, will be about rebuilding the prospect pool and hoping for individual successes under the umbrella of team failure. Goal milestones and things of that nature.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Lol we have the Canadian trip this month too that we always get obliterated on?

This team is gonna be out of it before Thanksgiving

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
They cared until it was 2-0.

It says a lot about their faith in Sullivan's system and Jarry's goaltending that as soon as they went down a couple they basically gave up and got run out of the building.

This is not a team that believes in what they're doing and they don't believe in the guy between the pipes.

It's gonna get ugly.

Maybe, I guess.

I thought they played okay at the start. Maybe got inflated a bit because the Rangers didn't find their stride. But they never had any dangerous chances. That's what I thought about. Sure we had some zone time - but our forwards still look completely offensively inept. A trademark of a Sullivan GM'd team. All about zones and nothing about actually potting goals.

That's the biggest problem with this team right now (outside of Sullivan, and even Jarry) - that at our BEST, we're still shit because we have ZERO goal scorers. I won't be shocked if by the end of the year we have some stat behind our name for the longest zone time in history without a goal or shots on goal whatever.

Our forward group is straight ass.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Lol we have the Canadian trip this month too that we always get obliterated on?

This team is gonna be out of it before Thanksgiving
If not sooner.

Remember, before yesterday there over under season total was 90.5 points. That looks like such a gift! It should've been closer to 75.5.

I thought Eller's line looked good.
Agreed, MCGR and PUJU made good accounts of themselves.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
ZAR often had shots on goal too.

If that's what you're looking at - ignore it. That line was about as worse of a Penguins line as I've witnessed in the last ten, maybe 15 years.

Tanner Pearson era Penguins would have made that line look pedestrian.
I didn't say the line was good. I'm just pointing out that Beauvillier having 6 shots on goal and likely well over 10+ attempts isn't a bad thing necessarily because it shows that he may be able to work well with Sid. While we stunk tonight, we have to give the Rags and especially Shesterkin credit for being good. If Beau and Sid can do that against the Rags, I think Beau-Sid-Rust might do okay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad