Post-Game Talk: Game 1 Pens vs Rangers: It was ugly

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I expected this season to suck, so I'm just hanging out, playing Nintendo.
And Dubas isn't gonna recue them. He's gonna sell everything that isn't bolted down. So, for the immediate future, no help will be forthcoming.

He wants to accrue more picks, young players and prospects.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Note to FSG and Dubas

It would much better to watch young guys fighting for their dream than overpaid, crusty vets mailing it in on opening night.

I didn't say the line was good. I'm just pointing out that Beauvillier having 6 shots on goal and likely well over 10+ attempts isn't a bad thing necessarily because it shows that he may be able to work well with Sid. While we stunk tonight, we have to give the Rags and especially Shesterkin credit for being good. If Beau and Sid can do that against the Rags, I think Beau-Sid-Rust might do okay.
72 is not a varsity player

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
From Pensburgh’s review of the game…lol

• Shot selection and ability to hit the target was an issue. Through two periods: the Pens had 19 SOG, 13 more attempts got blocked by the Rangers and 18 attempts missed. A lot of those misses (Rakell 4, Crosby 3, Bunting 2) were from players and spots where they needed better. Through 40 minutes that made for only 38% of shot attempts ending up as actual shots. The Rangers were much better in that regard (58%) in the same period.
  • On one hand, there’s no sense in over-reacting to one game’s results. On the other hand, the Pens look like a piecemeal team of older stars mis-matched with random spare pieces jettisoned from their old teams for not being that good (because, well..that’s what they are). Shouldn’t be a major surprise that was hopelessly outmatched against a top team who showed up to play. In reality, both things can be true. It is only one game but it’s not a good first glimpse at what could lie ahead

• Haha
Reactions: ncm7772

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
I thought Eller's line didn't suck.
They looked really good to start the game. A lot of pressure, quick skating, good chances.

Then the Rangers found their game. Much like Sullivan hockey in past years, once the Pens were figured out, that's all she wrote.

Reactions: Andy99

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
From Pensburgh’s review of the game…lol

• Shot selection and ability to hit the target was an issue. Through two periods: the Pens had 19 SOG, 13 more attempts got blocked by the Rangers and 18 attempts missed. A lot of those misses (Rakell 4, Crosby 3, Bunting 2) were from players and spots where they needed better. Through 40 minutes that made for only 38% of shot attempts ending up as actual shots. The Rangers were much better in that regard (58%) in the same period.
  • On one hand, there’s no sense in over-reacting to one game’s results. On the other hand, the Pens look like a piecemeal team of older stars mis-matched with random spare pieces jettisoned from their old teams for not being that good (because, well..that’s what they are). Shouldn’t be a major surprise that was hopelessly outmatched against a top team who showed up to play. In reality, both things can be true. It is only one game but it’s not a good first glimpse at what could lie ahead
Inability to hit the target. Definitely haven't seen that one before.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
IF SID doesn't leave, he won't have won a series in his final decade of play here.

That's not the way you want your legacy to end.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Oh poor Sid…sold a bill of goods…

“Fenway Sports Group chairman Tom Werner sat down with Sidney Crosby in March of last season when it looked like the Penguins' playoff hopes were all but dead.

"We're going to be better next year," Werner promised Crosby.”

• Haha
Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024

“Fenway Sports Group chairman Tom Werner sat down with Sidney Crosby in March of last season when it looked like the Penguins' playoff hopes were all but dead.

By we're, he meant FSG will be better, financially.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99 and Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Hopefully Sid feels double crossed and allows a trade to be with NATE.

Wonder what the return would be. He's old, but he's an all time great. We'd retain, and he's still like a point per game player. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
L3 the only line with some semblance of holding their own.

1728528381488.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad