Post-Game Talk: Game #1 - Goodbye Columbus - Marchand and Friends win the Opener 6-3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I honestly didn't get a great look but if it was tipped then Tuukka, I'm sorry for what I said. It wasn't one of the worst goals I've seen from a Bruins starter in the last 10 years.

Edit: I just watched the replay 90 times and I still can't figure out if it was tipped. If it was, it was a very slight deflection but still not really on Rask if that's the case.

If it was tipped, it was tipped 20% of the way to the net, in a spot where if a Columbus player took a shot on an unscreened Rask, you'd want him to save it much more often than not (unless said player was a Tarasenko or Ovi type player with time to really snipe it). Not so sure it's that much of an excuse, even if it did touch something. He should be able to pick that up. It wasn't like it had a crazy trajectory after possible deflection either.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
So it looks like it was climbing and hit the bottom of Millers stick and changed the angle. Tuukka reacts too late to the change and goes in. Not a big deal in my eyes.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
If it was tipped, it was tipped 20% of the way to the net, in a spot where if a Columbus player took a shot on an unscreened Rask, you'd want him to save it much more often than not (unless said player was a Tarasenko or Ovi type player with time to really snipe it). Not so sure it's that much of an excuse, even if it did touch something. He should be able to pick that up. It wasn't like it had a crazy trajectory after possible deflection either.

I agree. I'm just trying to be more positive when it comes to Tuukka because if he has a bad year, we're not making the playoffs again.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Just got a chance to watch it-

Serious question. Is Brad Marchand ****ing real? That was one of the most insane one game performances I've ever seen. Every single time he was on the ice he not only dictated the play but absolutely dominated the opposition. Holy ****.

I know it's only one game but wow. Wow.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Tuukka came up big in the third period and we got a RW..........

:handclap:

He certainly did. Looked to me like that first shot was tipped, but even if it wasn't, he had zero chance on the other two and played great the rest of the way.

Seems like a lot of people have forgotten that Krejci had hip surgery and was scheduled to be returning just about now. As usual he's a fast healer but he's obviously not up to full speed yet (and there is no way on Earth he or the Bruins would ever say he's not 100 percent). I'm just glad to see him skating so much better than last year. His timing will return.

The kids are going to have their ups and downs and we'll have to be patient with them. Carlo I thought looked good with Chara and IMHO the influence of Chara as a defensive partner shouldn't be underestimated.

I have Marchand and Pasta on my fantasy team but our league doesn't start until Monday. Of course. :(

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
On the CBJ Fox feed it was as clear as day that their first goal was tipped by the Bruins Dman's stick --making it an nearly impossible shot to track/save from the hashmarks.

Then I come here and see people ripping into Rask.... one of those moments where the collective group-think intelligence of the Bruins board is dangerously low.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
A win is a win.

What to do with this line for now, cant break them up on the streak that they started.

Can the Bs make a new Bergeron line?

1 and 0, let the good times roll.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
A win is a win.

What to do with this line for now, cant break them up on the streak that they started.

Can the Bs make a new Bergeron line?

1 and 0, let the good times roll.

Marchand-Backes-Pastrnak
Spooner-Begeron-Krejci

or

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Spooner-Krejci-Backes

I still think they'll go back to option 2 regardless of tonight. Would be fine with either.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Marchand was amazing, Backes and Pastrnak were great too. That probably goes without saying :laugh:

Thought O'Gara was better than Carlo tonight, though I may be in the minority there. Both acquitted themselves well though IMO. Some shaky moments but that's too be expected.

Czarnik was meh but it's his debut coming off of a concussion so I can't really fault him. Heinen didn't look out of place IMO. That line could have been a lot better as a whole though. I actually thought Hayes looked pretty solid tonight.

The forward group as a whole could be pretty special when Bergeron and Vatrano return.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
My god, Marchand is gonna net 40 this season and he will do it with ease. He is just on another planet. I loved the battle back, Backes looks like hes been a Bruin forever, no lack of chemistry etc its great. Pasta is gonna hit the 20 goal mark this year easily. Heinen was solid although the entire Krejci line was a bit messy all night, David not looking himself. Lines will be much more balanced once Bergy is back, good game even if it started a bit slow and disinteresting. Happy Friday folks, mine is done and dusted with a Bruins win and a Red Wings loss :D :clap: Lets go Bs! so glad hockey season is back and hello to everyone! :)

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
08c39ca0af.jpg

Have to love the pic NHL.com uses :laugh:

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Just finished the game... wow Brad, wow. That was insane. He has been just a different player since missing the WC last year.

Defense was running around a bit in their own end, but the big difference is that they were moving their feet to get back into position and cover guys. I can't see McQuaid fitting in on this D when he's healthy.

Forward lines, I thought Nash looked really good, especially on the dot, move Spooner back to 3rd C and have Nash spell him with faceoffs, Beleskey back with Krejci. Czarnik has the guts to fight for minutes on the 4th, with faceoff help from Moore.

63 - 37 - 88
39 - 46 - 42
43 - 51 - 20
28 - 27 - 11

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
What a great thing to wake up to!

63 - 42 - 88 wow

But most of all, it makes me happy and it's encouraging that young D guns had solid night.

Bobbysands

Oct 14, 2016
I'm Australian and new to the game, so go easy.

I think Backes adds so much "spine" to the side and I think he is a far better signing than people realised preseason. I think like most here he will slide back into the second line.

David Krejci looks really underdone, very ineffectual other than the blocked shot.

Carlo & O'Gara should stay in the side ahead of older hacks, or has we call them here list cloggers.

Beleskey has terrible composure, and appears weak mentally. Do not think we should persis long term.

Jimmy Hayes is also a list clogger.

Heinen & Czarnik both have talent and I look forward to seeing Vatrano play.

Dominic Moore looks a great pickup, and has a real presence on the fourth line. Like Backes, he is very Bruin.

Marchand is a god on ice, elite.

Pasta will soon be elite.

Great first outing, incredible game for new supporters like me or get hooked on.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I honestly didn't get a great look but if it was tipped then Tuukka, I'm sorry for what I said. It wasn't one of the worst goals I've seen from a Bruins starter in the last 10 years.

Edit: I just watched the replay 90 times and I still can't figure out if it was tipped. If it was, it was a very slight deflection but still not really on Rask if that's the case.

I watched it once...it was;)

Thought Rask did in the 3rd what he`ll need to do for this team to have any chance, and that`s make the saves when they count

Typical first game of the year, sloppy in parts, some players looked more than ready ,not hard to see how the World Cup had Pasta/Backes/Pasta in ready mode, thought O`Gara and Carlo looked really nervous early but from the 2nd on, had me really enjoying what I was seeing from the two.

Didn`t like Spoons game, invisible, enjoyed the energy of the 4th line

Any way I wanna spin it, 2 pts

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
08c39ca0af.jpg

Have to love the pic NHL.com uses :laugh:

The Bruins white road uniforms looks great in person and in still shots like this.

On TV, the gold hem stripes get swallowed up by the black, bleeding into grey and the white "diapers" look awful on the black pants.

It also bugs me that Marchand's pants shells have the old (pre 2007) spoked B.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'm Australian and new to the game, so go easy.

I think Backes adds so much "spine" to the side and I think he is a far better signing than people realised preseason. I think like most here he will slide back into the second line.

David Krejci looks really underdone, very ineffectual other than the blocked shot.

Carlo & O'Gara should stay in the side ahead of older hacks, or has we call them here list cloggers.

Beleskey has terrible composure, and appears weak mentally. Do not think we should persis long term.

Jimmy Hayes is also a list clogger.

Heinen & Czarnik both have talent and I look forward to seeing Vatrano play.

Dominic Moore looks a great pickup, and has a real presence on the fourth line. Like Backes, he is very Bruin.

Marchand is a god on ice, elite.

Pasta will soon be elite.

Great first outing, incredible game for new supporters like me or get hooked on.

Outstanding

Love the assessment

I'm the President of the Matt Beleskey Fan Club but he was awful. No way to spin it. His game is grit effort and compete and he played far from that. He actually had a few early on last year in the Fall and even took a seat upstairs. Very disappointed but will take body of work and not a one game snapshot. But as my friends would correctly say 'get your head out of your ass'

Speaking of Pastrnak - lot of skill and speed but appears to have grown into a normal height and weight player 6/190 at least looks it. No smurf here

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Bruins white road uniforms looks great in person and in still shots like this.

On TV, the gold hem stripes get swallowed up by the black, bleeding into grey and the white "diapers" look awful on the black pants.

It also bugs me that Marchand's pants shells have the old (pre 2007) spoked B.

They do, especially in arenas like Columbus where the lighting is fairly poor IMO.

On TV anyways I always disliked the atmosphere of Nationwide Arena.

I like how the gold on the pre-1995 sweaters popped so much better.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Outstanding

Love the assessment

I'm the President of the Matt Beleskey Fan Club but he was awful. No way to spin it. His game is grit effort and compete and he played far from that. He actually had a few early on last year in the Fall and even took a seat upstairs. Very disappointed but will take body of work and not a one game snapshot. But as my friends would correctly say 'get your head out of your ass'

Speaking of Pastrnak - lot of skill and speed but appears to have grown into a normal height and weight player 6/190 at least looks it. No smurf here

I said during preseason he hasn't looked good.

2 goals, 3 assists his last 21 games as a Bruin not counting preseason.

Not good enough for 3.9 million per.

Other than putting him back with Krejci, I don't know what they can do to get his numbers back to where they were in the first 3/4 of last year.

He doesn't create, he's a grinder with a deceptive shot he likes to use. He needs to play with better, more creative players for him to be productive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad