Post-Game Talk: Game #1 - Goodbye Columbus - Marchand and Friends win the Opener 6-3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I said during preseason he hasn't looked good.

2 goals, 3 assists his last 21 games as a Bruin not counting preseason.

Not good enough for 3.9 million per.

Other than putting him back with Krejci, I don't know what they can do to get his numbers back to where they were in the first 3/4 of last year.

He doesn't create, he's a grinder with a deceptive shot he likes to use. He needs to play with better, more creative players for him to be productive.

If he doesn't start playing better, you pay Vegas to take him. Decent cap hit, they'll get at least 3 years of play out of an expansion pick. Will help instill a sense of always working hard unto a new team.

If not, I think you're looking at a future 4th liner making 3.8 million

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If he doesn't start playing better, you pay Vegas to take him. Decent cap hit, they'll get at least 3 years of play out of an expansion pick. Will help instill a sense of always working hard unto a new team.

If not, I think you're looking at a future 4th liner making 3.8 million

Is he hitting that same wall as Dustin Brown, that being an averaged size player (both are 6'0 200ish) who have historically played bigger than their size and it's catching up with him?

Or is he struggling after playing most of those 21 games with Spooner/Czarnik as his C, and Jimmy Hayes as his opposite wing?

Or a combination of both.

hooked

Jul 6, 2005
The eye test had Hayes being anything but the whipping boy last night. Can't fault him for the night Beleskey had.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Is he hitting that same wall as Dustin Brown, that being an averaged size player (both are 6'0 200ish) who have historically played bigger than their size and it's catching up with him?

Or is he struggling after playing most of those 21 games with Spooner/Czarnik as his C, and Jimmy Hayes as his opposite wing?

Bingo

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

I don't think it Hayes, at least not last night. He had numerous turnovers and had a bunch of passes explode off his stick when receiving them. Could just be a slump, could be trying to hard because he's in a slump. I'll give him a bit more time before completely writing him off, but it hasn't been good. Worst player on the ice in a Bruins uniform last night.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm Australian and new to the game, so go easy.

I think Backes adds so much "spine" to the side and I think he is a far better signing than people realised preseason. I think like most here he will slide back into the second line.

David Krejci looks really underdone, very ineffectual other than the blocked shot.

Carlo & O'Gara should stay in the side ahead of older hacks, or has we call them here list cloggers.

Beleskey has terrible composure, and appears weak mentally. Do not think we should persis long term.

Jimmy Hayes is also a list clogger.

Heinen & Czarnik both have talent and I look forward to seeing Vatrano play.

Dominic Moore looks a great pickup, and has a real presence on the fourth line. Like Backes, he is very Bruin.

Marchand is a god on ice, elite.

Pasta will soon be elite.

Great first outing, incredible game for new supporters like me or get hooked on.

Hey welcome !!!

Nice to see fans from far away places. ;)

twominute

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, dc

I think Backes adds so much "spine" to the side and I think he is a far better signing than people realised preseason. I think like most here he will slide back into the second line.

David Krejci looks really underdone, very ineffectual other than the blocked shot.

Carlo & O'Gara should stay in the side ahead of older hacks, or has we call them here list cloggers.

Beleskey has terrible composure, and appears weak mentally. Do not think we should persis long term.

Dominic Moore looks a great pickup, and has a real presence on the fourth line. Like Backes, he is very Bruin.

Great first outing, incredible game for new supporters like me or get hooked on.

Good to see new fans, especially Australian! Yes that was a great game to watch and hopefully they are as much fun the rest of the year. Cheers!

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
That was a fun game to watch, we looked like a different team. Great pace of play and speed.

I'd love to see them keep Carlo & Colin Miller up even after McQuaid & Kevan Miller are back. O'Gara looked good too, but I'm fine with him getting more ice time in Providence.

Up front, go with the pairs; Marchand & Bergeron, Backes & Pasta, and Krejci with Spooner. Fill in the blanks as you see fit.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I don't know if you saw the replay but the puck was deflected by a stick. This goal is 100% on whoever had his stick in the way. I think it was Carlo but I could be wrong. You cannot give the attacker so much space and then deflect the puck, leaving your goalie no time to react.

Source : I'm a goalie

I am also a goalie, played in college, and the idea that a goalie shouldn't be responsible for a shot that is tipped is absurd to me. Especially one tipped so far out. IF that shot was tipped, it was almost at the release of the shot at the tops of the circles. That to me reduces the difficulty significantly. It's the shots that are tipped mid flight or at the last second that are the hardest to react to. Not ones that are tipped 30 feet away.

Fwiw, I watched the CLB feed on NHL.com, there is a great view from over Rask's head and it didn't look tipped from that angle.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Hey! Welcome!

What made you decide to become a Bruins fan? I think it's great that you're getting into hockey from so far away. And you understand your **** better than you give yourself credit for.

This board goes through its ups and downs, but if you stick around you'll learn a lot and have some amazing conversations. It's a great place.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I am also a goalie, played in college, and the idea that a goalie shouldn't be responsible for a shot that is tipped is absurd to me. Especially one tipped so far out. IF that shot was tipped, it was almost at the release of the shot at the tops of the circles. That to me reduces the difficulty significantly. It's the shots that are tipped mid flight or at the last second that are the hardest to react to. Not ones that are tipped 30 feet away.

Fwiw, I watched the CLB feed on NHL.com, there is a great view from over Rask's head and it didn't look tipped from that angle.

It was clearly tipped... But you're right. No excuse to let it fly by him and no pass from me either.c

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
That was a fun game to watch, we looked like a different team. Great pace of play and speed.

I'd love to see them keep Carlo & Colin Miller up even after McQuaid & Kevan Miller are back. O'Gara looked good too, but I'm fine with him getting more ice time in Providence.

Up front, go with the pairs; Marchand & Bergeron, Backes & Pasta, and Krejci with Spooner. Fill in the blanks as you see fit.

Looks great to me. :handclap:

jdz

May 22, 2013

Bobby if you're on Facebook and you're keen to do some game threads and other discussion with other Aussie Bruins give the Australian Bruins fans Facebook a like. There are a few of us on HF here but plenty more Aussies on that page which I started a while back. Of course HF is great too :D

Welcome

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
You have to keep that Marchand-Backes-Pastrnak line together.
Actually, no...you don't. Not after the performance we all witnessed during the World Cup. Not after last season.

There's a great quote: "Better is the enemy of good." Marchand - Bergeron are a well-oiled machine. It's good to know that Backes has good chemistry with Marchand and Pastrnak and that he can fill that role if necessary. But when Bergeron comes back, it will no longer be necessary.

Spooner-Krejci-Bergeron
Maybe Backes replaces Krejci at center..."after that performance last night."

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I love Backes with Pasta... but until Vatrano is back, Spooner + Krejci + X will be a mismatched line. Heinen or Hayes are just a waste in that spot.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I love Backes with Pasta... but until Vatrano is back, Spooner + Krejci + X will be a mismatched line. Heinen or Hayes are just a waste in that spot.

Not sure I would say they are "wastes", but maybe not the best fit for DK's style and abilities? Krejci always seemed to be at his best with at least one big bodied wing. I would try 51-46-42 and see how it looks.

63-37-88
51-46-42
39-27-43
20-28-55/11

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
Love the compete level last night down by two goals twice and come back to win the game. Like the youngsters game last night and they made some mistakes like Carlo falling to cover his man on the PP but thought they were solid. love Austin and Neil with Dominic Moore . Thought Hayes played a very good third last night. The top line just wow does Bergy slot back in or does he move ?

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Not sure I would say they are "wastes", but maybe not the best fit for DK's style and abilities? Krejci always seemed to be at his best with at least one big bodied wing. I would try 51-46-42 and see how it looks.

63-37-88
51-46-42
39-27-43
20-28-55/11

I'd bet money that's what the top 2 lines will look like.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I was impressed with the 2 youngsters on D but would like to see Carlo on the 2nd pairing until he gets more experience. I would also like to see O'Gara play the LD to see how he does there. Best NHL game I've seen Marchand play. outstanding. Don't think we would have come back without him.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe!!!! :handclap::)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad