Post-Game Talk: Game #1 - Goodbye Columbus - Marchand and Friends win the Opener 6-3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
They have 12 points together in 1 game. You keep them together and put Bergeron with Spooner/Heinen, then move Krejci down with Belesky and Hayes. Leave it like that until the Marchand line cools down.

The bolded part is the key.

Bergeron and Marchand have been one of the best tandems in the NHL for the last few years. I would not advocate splitting them up because of one game. In my opinion (and this is not meant to take anything from Backes, who played his role perfectly), the offense on that line last night was primarily generated by 63 and 88, with Backes cleaning up the garbage, and doing the dirty work.

He will do the same thing for Spooner and Krejci when he gets put on that line.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
You have to keep that Marchand-Backes-Pastrnak line together.

Spooner-Krejci-Bergeron

Beleskey-Czarnik-Heinen

Oh jeebus! :shakehead

Please let's not turn this into another conversation as to why we should make the best 2-way center in the game into a freaking winger just because he played wing on a line with arguable the best center in the world on an all-star team that had 11 freaking centers!!!

Stop. Just stop!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What an entertaining game! Some thoughts...

I thought the youth struggled.
- O’Gara with turnovers and chasing the play,y vacating the front of his net to chase pucks in his partners corner.
- Carlo didn’t cover back door on the PP goal against. On the third goal he had two chances to make a play and he just swats it into Blue Jackets twice.
- Next shift O’Gara has a chance to make a play on a puck in front of his own net and zips a pass right to the CLB defenseman who hits the outside of the post on a shot.
- Czarnik takes a penalty that sets up the PP goal, lost 83% of this draws. Good effort and drive though. Loved the hit on JJ.
- Acciari took a bad penalty, but looked solid on the 4th line.
- Heinen was fairly quiet but he was also the only kid not making glaring mistakes. He did take a penalty but it looked like a very soft call. He also made some clever passes in the face of incoming hits.

After the first period I couldn't help thinking "be careful what you wish for" since these young players had really put them in a hole.

-I would have pulled Rask after that BS softy 2mins in. Pure garbage at a time when the leaders should have been setting the bar for being sharp and competing. Shameful way to start the season.

-Didn’t like Spooner’s game. Maybe he was bummed he didn’t get to play center in Bergeron’s absence, but it seemed like every time he had the puck he turned it over.

Liked the 4th line a lot. Seemed like they spent all their time in the offensive zone and Nash won 77% of his draws.

Backes and Marchand played like leaders. Pasta had a great game too.

I liked Colin Miller's game.

I thought Liles was our best defenseman. 22mins, 6 of our 22 blocked shots, a great blocked pass on a 2on1.

Despite the rookie mistakes on D, the Bruins dominated that game. Edwards said the scoring chances were 20-11 B's with 7mins left and we had a few more good chances (and a goal) after that. Loved the drive from the vets.

It's funny how two people can watch the same game and take very different things out of it. Even more so when I normally agree with most of what you say. Without getting into too much detail, and in no particular order:

I thought the stick infractions called on the rooks were ALL really weak. I watched Shattenkirk do worse on a breakaway last night in the Wild game and it was not called. The inconsistencies in officiating around the NHL drives me nuts.

Thought that Colin Miller was probably the best D-man overall for the whole game. I was not impressed with Liles at all, and thought that Miller really carried that pair.

The young D made some mistakes, but to single out Carlo and ROG on the plays you did was a little misleading. Krug and Liles both had a couple of instances where they handed the puck to CBJ players (F's not D), and IMO Chara was as much/more at fault on the 2nd and 3rd goals.

On the PP goal, in the box, Chara was down low on the puck and he ABSOLUTELY has to deny that cross ice pass through the middle. Carlo had a shot at it to, but he IS a rookie, so I put the onus on the Captain.

Same for the 2nd goal. Chara had two chances to clear the puck as well, and in addition he managed to stumble in front, providing a great screen on the Jones' shot.

I do agree that the 4th line was very good. It's exactly what I want from them. They consistently had strong shifts all night and either maintained momentum or changed it if they went out after a bad stretch.

Also, agree on Spooner and Heinen (and Krejci). Spooner needs to be better, and I thought Heinen played a quiet, but effective game. At this point in his young career, I would put him on the 3rd line. Krejci is still recovering from surgery and I think he needs stronger guys in support right now. Think Backes replaces Heinen when Bergy is back.

Do I really need to say anything about the 1st line? Marchand picked up where he left off in the WCH, and Pasta looks thicker/stronger. Backes is exactly as advertised, heavy on the puck, good on the boards and in front. I think he will be just what the doctor ordered for DK and Spooner (who is not the strongest board guy).

Rask was good, not great. First goal was soft, but I don't fault him at all on the next two (particularly the PP goal).

I liked that the B's didn't quit and that the young players seemed to get better as the game went on.

Based on what I saw last night, (I already posted these) I would try this going forward (if 37 and 54 are healthy):

63-37-88
51-46-42
39-27-43
20-28-55/11

33-25
47-54
44/26-6

Based on seniority, Clode probably put Hayes on the 3rd line RW instead of Heinen (which is a mistake IMO), and he probably sits ROG for Liles (also a mistake). I can see Liles over ROG because of his ability to play on the PP, but I don't think he is much better than O'Gara overall (if at all).

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Spooner/Heinen - Krejci - Backes
Beleskey - Czarnik/Spooner - Hayes (whether we like it or not)
Moore - Nash - Acciari

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
So curious what they do to that line when Bergeron is back...
No problem at all. Bergeron slides back into his normal position with Marchy, a pairing that has shown consistent production over a period of years.

I hardly think our coaching staff is going to make long term a decision based upon one game's success, as impressive as was.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Other than the first goal let in by Rask, I didnt find much negative about how they played this game. Yes, some glaring mistakes by the young D but that should have been expected, IMO.

I'm more impressed how they calmed down and recovered. I was nervous about Rask the first couple periods but he too settled down and played strong to shut it down in the third.

Good win and Marchand put on a hell of a show.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Other than the first goal let in by Rask, I didnt find much negative about how they played this game. Yes, some glaring mistakes by the young D but that should have been expected, IMO.

I'm more impressed how they calmed down and recovered. I was nervous about Rask the first couple periods but he too settled down and played strong to shut it down in the third.

Good win and Marchand put on a hell of a show.
Well, there was that giveaway by Beleskey in the defensive zone that led to a Jackets goal. Other than that, Rask, as you pointed out, and Carlo not playing his man, were the only miscues I saw all night.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
It's funny how two people can watch the same game and take very different things out of it. Even more so when I normally agree with most of what you say. Without getting into too much detail, and in no particular order:

I thought the stick infractions called on the rooks were ALL really weak. I watched Shattenkirk do worse on a breakaway last night in the Wild game and it was not called. The inconsistencies in officiating around the NHL drives me nuts.

Thought that Colin Miller was probably the best D-man overall for the whole game. I was not impressed with Liles at all, and thought that Miller really carried that pair.

The young D made some mistakes, but to single out Carlo and ROG on the plays you did was a little misleading. Krug and Liles both had a couple of instances where they handed the puck to CBJ players (F's not D), and IMO Chara was as much/more at fault on the 2nd and 3rd goals.

On the PP goal, in the box, Chara was down low on the puck and he ABSOLUTELY has to deny that cross ice pass through the middle. Carlo had a shot at it to, but he IS a rookie, so I put the onus on the Captain.

Same for the 2nd goal. Chara had two chances to clear the puck as well, and in addition he managed to stumble in front, providing a great screen on the Jones' shot.

I do agree that the 4th line was very good. It's exactly what I want from them. They consistently had strong shifts all night and either maintained momentum or changed it if they went out after a bad stretch.

Also, agree on Spooner and Heinen (and Krejci). Spooner needs to be better, and I thought Heinen played a quiet, but effective game. At this point in his young career, I would put him on the 3rd line. Krejci is still recovering from surgery and I think he needs stronger guys in support right now. Think Backes replaces Heinen when Bergy is back.

Do I really need to say anything about the 1st line? Marchand picked up where he left off in the WCH, and Pasta looks thicker/stronger. Backes is exactly as advertised, heavy on the puck, good on the boards and in front. I think he will be just what the doctor ordered for DK and Spooner (who is not the strongest board guy).

Rask was good, not great. First goal was soft, but I don't fault him at all on the next two (particularly the PP goal).

I liked that the B's didn't quit and that the young players seemed to get better as the game went on.

Based on what I saw last night, (I already posted these) I would try this going forward (if 37 and 54 are healthy):

63-37-88
51-46-42
39-27-43
20-28-55/11

33-25
47-54
44/26-6

Based on seniority, Clode probably put Hayes on the 3rd line RW instead of Heinen (which is a mistake IMO), and he probably sits ROG for Liles (also a mistake). I can see Liles over ROG because of his ability to play on the PP, but I don't think he is much better than O'Gara overall (if at all).

I disagree (a little) about the defense:

33 - 25
47 - 86
26 - 6

But I still wanna see:

33 - 25
47 - 86
45 - 6

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I disagree (a little) about the defense:

33 - 25
47 - 86
26 - 6

But I still wanna see:

33 - 25
47 - 86
45 - 6

I'm assuming you're meaning this for when K Miller gets back in 6 weeks. Until then, you're gonna see 54 in his place. Though I do agree with you, I wouldn't mind seeing both McQuaid and Liles in the press box when everyone is healthy.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Ideally what i want to see is Pastrnak on that 1st line for a while. If he has a tough game one night, don't immediately take him off and swap him out, just let him find his game.

Pastrnak and Marchand both play a quick game, Bergeron being the anchor that can cover.
Spooner plays a quick game, Krejci slows the play down and Backes gets his hands dirty.

I think the top 2 lines should be set.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
The team started off slow but man did they pick it up and not let them being down by 2 TWICE affect them. Marchand is an all-star. Carlo looked great and IMO outplayed Chara. I hope when Miller and McQuaid come back, we can still keep Carlo up. Colin looked great too.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
The bolded part is the key.

Bergeron and Marchand have been one of the best tandems in the NHL for the last few years. I would not advocate splitting them up because of one game. In my opinion (and this is not meant to take anything from Backes, who played his role perfectly), the offense on that line last night was primarily generated by 63 and 88, with Backes cleaning up the garbage, and doing the dirty work.

He will do the same thing for Spooner and Krejci when he gets put on that line.

And they will be back together.

Before that, I would ride the hot hand and come back with March-Backes-Pasta until they cool off.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I'm Australian and new to the game, so go easy.

Welcome to the boards! Australians are getting more and more represented on here, must be why I had a TISM song stuck in my brain for a full period last night. :laugh: (and no, it wasn't "Somebody Start a Fight or Something")

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

63-37-88
51-46-42
39-27-43
20-28-55/11

33-25
47-54
44/26-6

I agree. Kriejci isn't 100%. His line was too soft yesterday. Give him Backes and things change. Kids were fine. Not perfect but ok. Things will change as players come back. Will be interesting to see what Clode will do. Moore was impressive as was his line.

Last edited:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Beleskey makes way too much money for that. 3.8 million is not something you pay a 4th line PK guy that will give you 15 points a year. If he continues to struggle this badly they should either look to trade him or pay Vegas to pick him.

He was one of your best consistent players last year. I doubt they expose him.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Outstanding

Love the assessment

I'm the President of the Matt Beleskey Fan Club but he was awful. No way to spin it. His game is grit effort and compete and he played far from that. He actually had a few early on last year in the Fall and even took a seat upstairs. Very disappointed but will take body of work and not a one game snapshot. But as my friends would correctly say 'get your head out of your ass'

Speaking of Pastrnak - lot of skill and speed but appears to have grown into a normal height and weight player 6/190 at least looks it. No smurf here

It's amazing what a couple years of physical maturity will do. He looks powerful out there...still speedy and skilled...but stronger, more composed and confident.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He was one of your best consistent players last year. I doubt they expose him.

Well he's got 2 goals and 3 assists in his last 21 Bruins games.

That's 8 goals and 12 assist over a full season.

If that trend continues, yeah you expose a 3.9 million, 20 point winger.

Good luck convincing LV to take him though.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

Man, Liles was second on the team in terms of TOI and had no goals against him. He had more than a quarter of our team's blocked shots. No turnovers. On one play, Chiller joined the rush, fell down, and Liles faced a 2on1 where he slid and blocked the pass...

I do agree that Miller played well. I thought he gave Weinberg a little too much room on that shot against Rask but overall I liked his game.

Disagree here. That goal is 100% on Carlo. Chara could certainly do a better job pressuring Foligno, but the guy in the slot was completely covered by Moore. The only guy left to cover was Atkinson and instead of going to him or staying between Folignon and Atkinson, Carlo went to cover the guy Moore was already draped over. Carlo did a lot of good things too, but IMO, he has to be more aware than that.

Again, I don't disagree that Chara could have been better, but he never actually touches the puck (with his stick) on that goal. Carlo does. Twice. Chara has a chance to make a play on it right after Carlo's two misfires, and Z whiffs on it, then Czarnik ends up being the guy who throws it right up the slot to Jones. That whole goal is a scrambly mess started by a turnover from Beleskey.

Fwiw, I never said the kids played poorly, my impressions were mixed. I think they had their fingerprints on the goals against, but they also did some very good things.

63-37-88
51-46-42
39-27-43
20-28-55/11

33-25
47-54
44/26-6

If I were coaching I'd be worried about losing to a team within the division, so I'd think about giving ROG a game from up top and try to get a look at Morrow (who I thought had a good pre-season). IMO, he (ROG) was the weakest link on D last night. I'd also think about moving Liles and Miller up the lineup, and maybe have Carlo drop down a pair so he doesn't have to play against Matthews.

But my guess is Julien will want to give Carlo more time to adjust, and he'll want to give the pair of 33-25 time to find chemistry, which I don't have a problem with. It will be interesting to see what he does with Morrow/ROG. Morrow is still a kid too and deserves a chance, and O'Gara's game was reflected in his ice time (13ish mins).

With Bergeron back in, somebody's going to get scratched up front. It won't be Czarnik. Too much hustle and drive. Plus, that would mean breaking up the Krejci line and my guess is Julien wants to give that line a chance to find it's chemistry too. I thought Beleskey was probably our worst forward, but I don't think he gets sat. I actually thought Hayes was pretty good. Heinen too... Whichever forward gets sat it won't be "fair" as I think the forwards showed a lot of heart last night and all deserve to play.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad