Post-Game Talk: Game #1 - Goodbye Columbus - Marchand and Friends win the Opener 6-3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
I agree. He and Nash were both good. I thought Jimmy Hayes had a decent game as well.

I thought Hayes had a little more then decent of a game. At the end of last season he didn't look like he belonged in the NHL, but last night he looked like a serviceable 3rd liner. He wasn't a HUGE game changer, he did a lot of little things pretty good. That line produced some opportunities and offensive zone time. They just didn't produce points. I was reading some of the comments during the game because I couldn't watch it and thought every other line besides the obvious played like garbage. I just watched the entire game this morning and thought it was a good game overall for all lines. Krecji's line wasn't great, but Krecji had some jump. He looked faster last night then he did last year. Heinen wasn't amazing, but he wasn't awful. He looked good for a rookie. This was just 1 of 82 and they played pretty good against a tough, fast, physical CBJ team. They have been tough to play against for awhile now. I'm optimistic for the season especially with Marchand having the momentum and swagger that he gained from the contract extension/WCOH. I'm very optimistic for the young blood gaining experience aswell.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's funny how two people can watch the same game and take very different things out of it. Even more so when I normally agree with most of what you say. Without getting into too much detail, and in no particular order:

I thought the stick infractions called on the rooks were ALL really weak. I watched Shattenkirk do worse on a breakaway last night in the Wild game and it was not called. The inconsistencies in officiating around the NHL drives me nuts.

Thought that Colin Miller was probably the best D-man overall for the whole game. I was not impressed with Liles at all, and thought that Miller really carried that pair.

The young D made some mistakes, but to single out Carlo and ROG on the plays you did was a little misleading. Krug and Liles both had a couple of instances where they handed the puck to CBJ players (F's not D), and IMO Chara was as much/more at fault on the 2nd and 3rd goals.

On the PP goal, in the box, Chara was down low on the puck and he ABSOLUTELY has to deny that cross ice pass through the middle. Carlo had a shot at it to, but he IS a rookie, so I put the onus on the Captain.

Same for the 2nd goal. Chara had two chances to clear the puck as well, and in addition he managed to stumble in front, providing a great screen on the Jones' shot.

I do agree that the 4th line was very good. It's exactly what I want from them. They consistently had strong shifts all night and either maintained momentum or changed it if they went out after a bad stretch.

Also, agree on Spooner and Heinen (and Krejci). Spooner needs to be better, and I thought Heinen played a quiet, but effective game. At this point in his young career, I would put him on the 3rd line. Krejci is still recovering from surgery and I think he needs stronger guys in support right now. Think Backes replaces Heinen when Bergy is back.

Do I really need to say anything about the 1st line? Marchand picked up where he left off in the WCH, and Pasta looks thicker/stronger. Backes is exactly as advertised, heavy on the puck, good on the boards and in front. I think he will be just what the doctor ordered for DK and Spooner (who is not the strongest board guy).

Rask was good, not great. First goal was soft, but I don't fault him at all on the next two (particularly the PP goal).

I liked that the B's didn't quit and that the young players seemed to get better as the game went on.

Based on what I saw last night, (I already posted these) I would try this going forward (if 37 and 54 are healthy):

63-37-88
51-46-42
39-27-43
20-28-55/11

33-25
47-54
44/26-6

Based on seniority, Clode probably put Hayes on the 3rd line RW instead of Heinen (which is a mistake IMO), and he probably sits ROG for Liles (also a mistake). I can see Liles over ROG because of his ability to play on the PP, but I don't think he is much better than O'Gara overall (if at all).

How true.

I've been surprised by the gushing reviews of Colin Miller's game. Seems like I missed something there. Liles led the team with 6 blocks.

Thought Marchand was amazing and Backes was excellent. They seemed to create everything. More like Pasternak was along for the ride (a 4 point, +6 ride).

Spooner didn't look good, but Belesky was terrible.

4th line did its job well. Nash 10-3 on faceoffs.

Like in all pro sports, rookies get no breaks from the officials. Got to keep those sticks down.

I didn't think there was a deflection on the Jackets first goal. Was watching Columbus station.

Did Czarnik & Heinen really play?

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
I had a similar feeling about Miller/Liles. Liles wasn't perfect but I thought he moved the puck well enough. Miller had 2 gaffes that concerned me. The 1st was the gap he had on the 1st goal. The second was the ill advised rush/fall in the neutral zone in the 3rd period of a 3-3 game. Hayes was also at fault for not recognizing Miller's intent, but it led to a 2 on 1 and could have been disastrous. I am hoping for improvement from Miller, but worry about how he thinks the game at this point. Great start for Carlo. Liked Nash, Moore and of course ex-Friar Acciari's game.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I hate to get excited about one game, but if the guys that stepped up last night continue to step up, we stay healthy, and Bergeron comes back strong... we could carry the kids to Spring.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
How true.

I've been surprised by the gushing reviews of Colin Miller's game. Seems like I missed something there. Liles led the team with 6 blocks.

Thought Marchand was amazing and Backes was excellent. They seemed to create everything. More like Pasternak was along for the ride (a 4 point, +6 ride).

Spooner didn't look good, but Belesky was terrible.

4th line did its job well. Nash 10-3 on faceoffs.

Like in all pro sports, rookies get no breaks from the officials. Got to keep those sticks down.

I didn't think there was a deflection on the Jackets first goal. Was watching Columbus station.

Did Czarnik & Heinen really play?

You and me both brother. I actually thought Colin was easily our worst defender last night. I thought I may have been seeing things after reading all the positive things after the game but after going back and re-watching I still think he wasn't very good. Maybe some 'weird' plays to say the least. Wasn't very physical going into the corners either, looked like he kept jumping up too often but that might be just me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad