GDT: Free agent frenzy pt 2 - you gotta be quicker than that

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Nah, if we hadn't made the cdh trade with Chicago is say we'd be looking at possibilities. But as it stands at least for one more season

Slavin - Hamilton
Pesce - Faulk
I don't hate it. Offensive production and a lockdown defenseman on both of our first two lines. Has the potential to really swing games in our favor, especially if Pesce takes that next step forward.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Speculation on my part about Signing Bonuses:

When you sign a player to a contract, you take the cost of that contract and put it back to draw interest over time of that contract.

When you pay out in signing bonus, that money is no longer there drawing interest.

I wonder if that’s the reason for holding back on them?

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
Speculation on my part about Signing Bonuses:

When you sign a player to a contract, you take the cost of that contract and put it back to draw interest over time of that contract.
When you pay out in signing bonus, that money is no longer there drawing interest.
I wonder if that’s the reason for holding back on them?

That is for sure a factor, in Ahos case, it could mean as much as 2million dollars in interest are lost. (or on the other hand, Aho can earn 2 million more if invested correctly (potentially even more)).

Another point is that signing bonuses are paid even in case of a lockout, salaries are not. At least that is what I heard.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
That is for sure a factor, in Ahos case, it could mean as much as 2million dollars in interest are lost. (or on the other hand, Aho can earn 2 million more if invested correctly (potentially even more)).

Another point is that signing bonuses are paid even in case of a lockout, salaries are not. At least that is what I heard.
also, signing bonuses can't be bought out. it's why we had to pay marleau his full $3m signing bonus while his actual salary was bought out at 2/3rds price.

aho's contract is essentially buyout proof. if it ever got to that point (highly unlikely) they'd be saving next to nothing by buying him out. for instance if they bought him out of his final year they'd only be saving 250k even though he's paid 6m that year (5.25m signing bonus + 750k salary). he's getting 40m+ guaranteed out of 42.27m total.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Waddell did say yesterday they were looking at a d-man. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not Savard, Werenski, Jones or Murray. But it could be Scott Harrington. 6-2, 207. Shoots left. Can move the puck a little bit (17 points last year on the third pair). He's RFA right now. It kinda fits.

Reactions: Unsustainable

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Yeah, I took a quick look at the CLB roster and couldn’t come up with a fit. Weinberg might have been a buy low candidate, but the acquisition of Haula kinda puts a pin in that.

The D that Waddell mentioned he was possibly after could be Priskie as well.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Any rumors on any of the "names" left on the board? Not from the Canes necessarily, but I'm always curious about the drop off of interest after 7/1 (or 1.7 for our Euro pals) despite there being some useful guys still around. Kind of surprised Johansson is still around; Gardiner and Ferland seem to have injury issues, and/or just too pricey?

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
Any rumors on any of the "names" left on the board? Not from the Canes necessarily, but I'm always curious about the drop off of interest after 7/1 (or 1.7 for our Euro pals) despite there being some useful guys still around. Kind of surprised Johansson is still around; Gardiner and Ferland seem to have injury issues, and/or just too pricey?

Pretty quiet around all of those guys right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad