GDT: Free Agent FRENZY! Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was watching sportcentre this morning and one of them mentioned Tatar being out of options and may be trade bait for a defenseman.

How would a Cody Franson for Tatar trade work? Tatar fills a spot on our 3rd line LW, obviously more of a skill guy, but adding a guy of his skillset would be nice.

Meh. We need Franson a lot more than Tatar, at any price really.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Do we still have o'byrne? Totally forgot the guy existed :laugh:

O'Bryne is the one player from last year I hope to never ever see again.

Everybody craps on Kostka but him being injured in the playoffs actually hurt us quite a bit.

I still think Nonis is going to add either Gilbert or Lydman. But there is still the Paul Ranger question though who would be a huge addition to the D group.

Jones, Cleary, Penner are wingers I hope he contacts in the hopes that they'd sign for a very low cost.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'd like to see another top 9 forward with an ability to score some goals.

All due respect to McClement, I'd rather use him on the 4th. line and the PK.

Is Colborne an option, or would Brunner be an option?

What the heck, give Ashton (a winger with some size) a long look there.

Kulemin-Boland-Ashton

Eventually you are going to have to see if the full cupboard has anything besides KD in it.

Your ganna have 2 of these 3 fill the 12,13th forward spot, Colb,Asht,D'Amigo.

Gut tells me one will be Colb, gives him and extra C on the roster.

feeel10

Sep 8, 2010
I see no need to add a forward. Our top 9 looks good to me and fits with what Carlyle likes.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
McClement-Bolland-Kulemin

Then we have our 2 tough guys, Colborne and D'amigo to fill out the rest of the forward group. And if Carlyle decides the young guys aren't ready there will be plenty of fourth liners available during training camp.

I want to see carter ashton given a real good chance to show what hes worth. The first year we got him for Aulie I thought he showed great speed, strength and the willingness to fight and hit even though we were bottom 5 in the league. I just think you need to be given an extend to perform at the next level. Lets not make him another luca caputi.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
O'Bryne is the one player from last year I hope to never ever see again.

Everybody craps on Kostka but him being injured in the playoffs actually hurt us quite a bit.

I still think Nonis is going to add either Gilbert or Lydman. But there is still the Paul Ranger question though who would be a huge addition to the D group.

Jones, Cleary, Penner are wingers I hope he contacts in the hopes that they'd sign for a very low cost.

RB, have you been paying any attention to our cap issues?

We would be lucky as hell right now, just to be able to sign our existing RFAs.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I agree about giving Carter Ashton a chance on a line with Kulemin and Bolland.

How else is a player suppose to make his way into this league if he's not given productive minutes?

Bryan Bickell was assigned, recalled and passed through waivers countless times until about 2010.

He was never really given a solid chance until recently and when he was given a prominant role has finally shown his true colors and what an asset he can be.

This sort of chance needs to be given to some of our youth, and I like Ashton's chances of providing some gritty play in a Carlyle system.

We need that cap space, and we need pieces in our system to come up and contribute.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I agree about giving Carter Ashton a chance on a line with Kulemin and Bolland.

How else is a player suppose to make his way into this league if he's not given productive minutes?

Bryan Bickell was assigned, recalled and passed through waivers countless times until about 2010.

He was never really given a solid chance until recently and when he was given a prominant role has finally shown his true colors and what an asset he can be.

This sort of chance needs to be given to some of our youth, and I like Ashton's chances of providing some gritty play in a Carlyle system.

We need that cap space, and we need pieces in our system to come up and contribute.

My thinking as well. Plenty of options from the Marlies to fill out the roster. Very underrated players we have coming up, especially for the bottom 6. D'Amigo and even someone like Ryan or Blacker (for the bottom pairing) could surprise the heck out of us.

I hate to say it but I could see Kulemin traded in the next 8-9 months or so. His price tag might be pricey for his role. I know he's very well liked around here but perhaps a package with him for a top defenceman or even center... Makes you wonder.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
maybe that's why Nonis didn't really go after Weiss and everyone else.
Stick with the team chemistry and upgrade the necessary bits (ie: Clarkson for MacArthur, Bolland for a real 3rd liner).

Kadri/Bozak swaps up and down

and then we graduate the marlies who have the most promise. this way in 3-4 years, the core has its experience, and the newbies has a few NHL years we can really make a run for it. a trade made to really help shore the defense, but I believe in the system :)

Tyler Biggs*

Why do people keep ragging on Phaneuf? He played more minutes than anybody else, leading the Leafs to the playoffs. And despite the epic Game 7 collapse, the Leafs actually did better than anyone imagined against the Bruins in round 1. He's no Norris trophy candidate but he's a valuable defenseman to have.

Also I don't understand all the negative comments about these signings. Both of these players would have gotten more money elsewhere and I dunno if anyone saw the interview with Clarkson, but when a player says he picked a team based on what his heart told him, you better believe he's gonna wear the blue and white with pride and do it some serious justice.

Anyways, I would like to see us maybe try and move Liles for a stay at home defenseman.

ThreeHundred

Mar 23, 2011
Las Vegas
I'm a little worried that people get tunnel vision about Bozak and Kessel. There are other centremen who can feed Kessel. Sure Bozie is good at it but he's not the one who "unlocks" Kessels talent.

Sundin had this problem for a while.. Having only decent guys to work with until Mogilny came here but that was a lot later

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
How about Mason Raymond to replace the speed of Komarov and Frattin

I'd rather promote D'Amigo if speed is the only reason we would be signing Mason Raymond for 3m+

Keep the financial flexability now, and for next season and promote some youth.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
goodness knows.
I think Phaneuf just needs to have someone to help eat minutes.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't mind Holzer as a #6/#7D. He would be great at that role.

If Carlyle put Phaneuf with Fraser, we would be after Fraser with pitchforks. Holzer was miscast in his role and sucked.

Put him in a #6 role and he's better than Fraser minus the fighting because he's a good skater and plays physical.

I'd trust Holzer-Franson pairing more than Fraser-Franson.

Darlotto99

Jul 23, 2010
Bolton, ON
Leafs should sign Dougls Murray

I think he would be a great addition to this team and would fit in well under the Carlyle system. Carlyle knows him very well when he coached against him. he would bring a nastiness to the leafs blue line that they need.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

None of the players I suggested should get a huge paycheque.

I also expect either Franson or Liles to be traded before the season. Franson would garner the higher trade return and Liles could easily up those 3rd pairing 5 on 5/1st PP unit minutes for this season then we could look to deal Liles when some of our youngsters are that much more ready.

So many people are in love with Franson but he isn't great defensively, doesn't kill penalties and with Phaneuf, Gardiner then Rielly all needing PP time down the road I don't see him as part of the core because he'll be getting paid based on inflated numbers from having received lots of PP time but won't deserve or get that time in a season or two.

Kyle Doobas*

He's a brick wall, but he skates about as well as a brick wall too.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
My second favorite team is the Kings, and I always loved playing against Murray. For every big hit he throws he gives it away twice and loses 3 footraces.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

It's July 6th. Don't teams have until the reg. season to be cap compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium