GDT: Free Agent FRENZY! Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
As a canucks fan, I can tell you that raymond would actually be a good fit. You guys need speed, and he is not THAT bad, hes bad but not THAT bad lol

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
What if we get a #1 center, and suprise he doesn't click with Kessel.
It could happen......

We have one of the best offensive teams and get much of it from the wing and the blueline.
Kessel and Lupul can get a pt per game with a couple of firehydrants
Much like Kariya-Selanne when they had Rucchin_
In fact they can turn avg forwards into quality scorers: ie mccarthur frattin jvr bozak.

We came up short because of inconsistent team defense.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It could happen......

We have one of the best offensive teams and get much of it from the wing and the blueline.
In fact they can turn avg forwards into quality scorers: ie mccarthur frattin jvr bozak.

We really don't need a #1C if Kadri can be a 70 point guy. We'll find out what kind of player he is this season.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It could happen......

I wouldn't consider JVR average. Guy is a beast.

Bozak was good enough to center our team to the playoffs last year, and it wasn't even the fact that Bozak was our center that got us eliminated.

Like you said it was our defense. I think we NEED to bring someone in for that second pairing to take pressure off of Dion, and let him cut down to 23ish minutes a night instead of 30.

If we must, move our 1st and a guy like Percy to do it. Next year's draft is really weak.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
From what it sounds like from the media scrum Nonis had with Clarkson, the Leafs are done making moves for now... We still need that 1C because I dont think Bozak is the one, and we did not improve much just by adding a 3rd line grinder in Clarkson. I am hoping that Nonis might have something in the works with the Avs because they currently have 4 top tier centres: Duchene, Mackinnon, O'Reilly and Stastny.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
It could happen......

We came up short because of a lack of experience, the one thing that the Boston Bruins had on us, and it took them all the way to the SCF's.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
From what it sounds like from the media scrum Nonis had with Clarkson, the Leafs are done making moves for now... We still need that 1C because I dont think Bozak is the one, and we did not improve much just by adding a 3rd line grinder in Clarkson. I am hoping that Nonis might have something in the works with the Avs because they currently have 4 top tier centres: Duchene, Mackinnon, O'Reilly and Stastny.

There's a chance they'll send Mackinnon back to junior after 9 games, so I doubt they're in a hurry to trade Stastny.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Thats a relative term if ever there was one. GMs are always quoted as saying nothing is going on, then BAM a trade happens and most of the time they're like "We've been working on this for a couple months". Its either that or "it came out of nowhere and we had to act fast".

So either way, something could happen, say, tomorrow.

What GMs should say is "Im not making a move as I stand here talking to you. Who knows what happens when I finish talking to you". Thats far more accurate.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Thats a relative term if ever there was one. GMs are always quoted as saying nothing is going on, then BAM a trade happens and most of the time they're like "We've been working on this for a couple months". Its either that or "it came out of nowhere and we had to act fast".

What GMs should say is "Im not making a move as I stand here talking to you. Who knows what happens when I finish talking to you". Thats far more accurate.

Pretty much means all the initial big moves Nonis was working on for the draft through free agency is done, and now he can explore other options to shore up the team ... That includes getting the RFA's locked up and since he couldn't get Scuderi or a d-man he'll probably look to improve the blue line

Obviously we're set in goal, the forward group is pretty much all done being tinkered with (maybe a minor signing), leaving the d-core to be figured out heading into camp

Could be a big trade I suppose depending on how Franson's signing goes, but I wouldn't expect much beyond another minor signing or two ... Not much left out there for a d-man who can log top 4 minutes unfortunately

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
What if we get a #1 center, and suprise he doesn't click with Kessel.It could happen......

There was no clicking between Bozak and Kessel. He did not create any offense with Kessel. Back when Langkow was sponging off his more talented winger in Calgary he had 33 goals and 44 assists. When Craig Conroy sponged Iginla he had 27 goals and 48 assists. Brendan Morrison had 23 goals and 44 assists riding Markus Naslund's coat tails. This is what average players can do if they "click" with a skilled linemate.
I can't picture any center generating less offense with Phil. Bolland kind of had a Bozak season with Kane in 08-09 and again in 10-11. Even a 3rd line center can generate points sometimes if you put him with a star, but he is still a 3rd liner.

When Boz is finally replaced it will be with a guy who takes 250 shots a year and creates goals and rebounds and deflection opportunities and people will marvel how well Kessel works with the new guy. They just haven't found him yet.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

That's what Burke usually did. Said he doesn't see a move happening, but that changes with one phone call, and it's true.

ThreeHundred

Mar 23, 2011
Las Vegas
There was no clicking between Bozak and Kessel. He did not create any offense with Kessel. Back when Langkow was sponging off his more talented winger in Calgary he had 33 goals and 44 assists. When Craig Conroy sponged Iginla he had 27 goals and 48 assists. Brendan Morrison had 23 goals and 44 assists riding Markus Naslund's coat tails. This is what average players can do if they "click" with a skilled linemate.
I can't picture any center generating less offense with Phil. Bolland kind of had a Bozak season with Kane in 08-09 and again in 10-11. Even a 3rd line center can generate points sometimes if you put him with a star, but he is still a 3rd liner.

When Boz is finally replaced it will be with a guy who takes 250 shots a year and creates goals and rebounds and deflection opportunities and people will marvel how well Kessel works with the new guy. They just haven't found him yet.

I hope that day is sometime soon. Your exactly right

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So we lost out on the "higher profile" defensive d-men who can play top 4 minutes in Ference and Scuderi ... So where do we go now to shore up that spot in the line up?

Is there a d-man still in free agency you'd sign to a 1 or 2 year deal who could eat up those minutes, providing value on a cheap short term contract?

Here's a list: http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

I'm also still on board to sign Colten Teubert to a deal similar to Brennan's ... Give him a shot, since he's not that old and was a former first round pick ... RHD stay at home d-man

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Why are people saying we need to acquire a 1C still? Obviously we all want one but Bozak and Kadri sharing the duties is going to have to do for now. We just re-signed Bozak if we acquired another center is Bozak playing the 3rd and Bolland the 4th? Don't think so.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
So we lost out on the "higher profile" defensive d-men who can play top 4 minutes in Ference and Scuderi ... So where do we go now to shore up that spot in the line up?

Is there a d-man still in free agency you'd sign to a 1 or 2 year deal who could eat up those minutes, providing value on a cheap short term contract?

Here's a list: http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

I'm also still on board to sign Colten Teubert to a deal similar to Brennan's ... Give him a shot, since he's not that old and was a former first round pick ... RHD stay at home d-man

The money is so tight, I think if they are going to add a good defensive guy, it has to be at the expense of one of their good puck movers. Not sure which one, except I can't see it being Gardner, if only because that gives zero cap relief. A slight chance it could be Liles, but you likely won't be getting much quality back, except by dumb luck. Also Liles being moved doesn't create a lot of extra minutes for the new guy, where the others are all arounf 20 TOI. Anyone is movable right?

JMcLeaf

I don't want a guy that couldn't even make the Oilers defense squad

Look at some of the comments on him after he wasn't qualified:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1459973

ThreeHundred

Mar 23, 2011
Las Vegas
Too bad about Scuderi, woulda been nice to have him. Probably gonna have to go through the trade route maybe even trade Phanuef in a package for a better defensemen

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Too bad about Scuderi, woulda been nice to have him. Probably gonna have to go through the trade route maybe even trade Phanuef in a package for a better defensemen

Please tell me who we would trade Phaneuf for that is an upgrade?

ThreeHundred

Mar 23, 2011
Las Vegas
I have no clue just guessing.. Maybe get two good guys back idk. But I think our D needs improvement forsure. Only people here think our defense is decent.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have no clue just guessing.. Maybe get two good guys back idk. But I think our D needs improvement forsure. Only people here think our defense is decent.

We need another top 4 D.

Gardiner-Franson-Phaneuf is a very good top 3.

Add in Rielly coming up, and possibly Granberg and our D is fine.

We just need a Top 4 shutdown guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad