Alec Baldwin Fatally Shoots Crewmember on Film Set

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Pretty harsh.

You get criminals in innercitys willingly committing violent crimes and seem to get off lighter than her.
That's likely in cases in which no one was seriously hurt. Here, someone died. You could also look at it as, when someone dies, a person being held responsible usually gets a lot longer than only 18 months.

That said, she did get the maximum allowed, so it is a harsh sentence in that respect. Apparently, the prosecution argued that she didn't show remorse, which would do it.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
  • Wow

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
That's likely in cases in which no one was seriously hurt. Here, someone died. You could also look at it as, when someone dies, a person being held responsible usually gets a lot longer than only 18 months.

That said, she did get the maximum allowed, so it is a harsh sentence in that respect. Apparently, the prosecution argued that she didn't show remorse, which would do it.
Hard to argue that she wasn’t criminally reckless, in a position where she was responsible for the lives of other people. IMO the sentence was more than fair, she still has the rest of her life to look forward to when she gets out.

Trial sounded like a bit of a circus. Defense didn’t help their case when one of the defendants was trying to demonstrate to investigators how they kept the blank rounds safely separated from live ones, and the container he opened turned out to have live rounds mixed in. I also believe an expert witness called by the defense, unbelievably, pointed a gun at the judge during his testimony.

I’ll be interested to see how the rest of the case plays out.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Hard to argue that she wasn’t criminally reckless, in a position where she was responsible for the lives of other people. IMO the sentence was more than fair, she still has the rest of her life to look forward to when she gets out.

Trial sounded like a bit of a circus. Defense didn’t help their case when one of the defendants was trying to demonstrate to investigators how they kept the blank rounds safely separated from live ones, and the container he opened turned out to have live rounds mixed in. I also believe an expert witness called by the defense, unbelievably, pointed a gun at the judge during his testimony.

I’ll be interested to see how the rest of the case plays out.
Instances like these deserve at least suspicion that the defense lawyers were sabotaging their client.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Insane outcome. The fact that Baldwin walked off scot-free is pretty wild to me.
I'm not surprised at all. He did nothing wrong. Maybe could've got him for cheaping out as a producer but that's very flimsy considering it's a low budget picture.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
typically I find that the ppl who want Baldwin locked up are mostly politically motivated

He’s an undeniable asshole (I can cite the voicemail he left his daughter) but a murderer he is not. The women getting 18 months for involuntary manslaughter is going to be the only person locked up over this.

Babe Ruth

All I want for Father's Day.. is cash.
Feb 2, 2016
typically I find that the ppl who want Baldwin locked up are mostly politically motivated

He’s an undeniable asshole (I can cite the voicemail he left his daughter) but a murderer he is not. The women getting 18 months for involuntary manslaughter is going to be the only person locked up over this.
New Mexico is not treating Baldwin as a murderer.. they're charging him with involuntary manslaughter.

New Mexico's involuntary manslaughter charge is defined online.. and includes killing someone even while performing a lawful act, but "without due caution".
My guess, the DA will argue that pointing a gun & firing at another person, without checking (himself) to see if it was loaded with live rounds.. was an act performed "without due caution".
And the jury will make their determination. Last I heard, the court date is mid July.

Reactions: Voight

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
New Mexico is not treating Baldwin as a murderer.. they're charging him with involuntary manslaughter.

New Mexico's involuntary manslaughter charge is defined online.. and includes killing someone even while performing a lawful act, but "without due caution".
My guess, the DA will argue that pointing a gun & firing at another person, without checking (himself) to see if it was loaded with live rounds.. was an act performed "without due caution".
And the jury will make their determination. Last I heard, the court date is mid July.
That argument shouldn’t go anywhere, this strikes me as entirely political from the DA. How is he supposed to know somebody took it off the job site and used live rounds? The woman in charge of the guns should be and was held accountable

Civil lawsuits should definitely be in play and I imagine they have been

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm not surprised at all. He did nothing wrong. Maybe could've got him for cheaping out as a producer but that's very flimsy considering it's a low budget picture.
I am certainly not a lawyer, but I just felt like he needs to hold some responsibility for this. I definitely disagree that he did nothing wrong. But we'll see what happens moving forward I suppose.
Am I missing something.. if you're referring to Baldwin, he still has a court date in July?
Or was there breaking news today(?)
I guess I had misremembered and thought that the July case was going to be a civil case. Been a while since I was closely following the story.

All in all it's a shame this had to happen because Baldwin wanted a vanity project where he can be a cool cowboy but didn't seem to really care how haphazardly the project was thrown together.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I am certainly not a lawyer, but I just felt like he needs to hold some responsibility for this. I definitely disagree that he did nothing wrong. But we'll see what happens moving forward I suppose.
Civil liability maybe but it'd be absurd to convict him of any wrongdoing here. This has been said a million times but it's certainly not an actor's responsibility to know if a prop gun has real bullets in it. All the wannabe gunslingers around here will say otherwise because they can't distinguish between a real life situation and being on a movie set.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Civil liability maybe but it'd be absurd to convict him of any wrongdoing here. This has been said a million times but it's certainly not an actor's responsibility to know if a prop gun has real bullets in it. All the wannabe gunslingers around here will say otherwise because they can't distinguish between rla real life situation and being on a movie set.
If he was simply just an actor in the film I would probably agree. However the fact that this entire production was pretty much his pet project is what makes him more than just an actor in my mind. He had a lot more experience on set than anyone else on the project, and I am still not so sure I believe his story that he wasn't mis-handling the gun. I don't think I believe he just put his thumb on the hammer and it fired.

With all of the other issues with the production they were not in a reasonable position to move forward with firearms.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
If he was simply just an actor in the film I would probably agree. However the fact that this entire production was pretty much his pet project is what makes him more than just an actor in my mind. He had a lot more experience on set than anyone else on the project, and I am still not so sure I believe his story that he wasn't mis-handling the gun. I don't think I believe he just put his thumb on the hammer and it fired.

With all of the other issues with the production they were not in a reasonable position to move forward with firearms.
Every movie is basically someone's pet project and low budgets movies have always been made. People would be pissed if they weren't. Whether he cheaped out as a producer more than the usual low budget film is something for the civil courts to decide. As for him mishandling the gun, you have absolutely no proof of that. It's fine if you think that but to convict him there has to be actual proof not just someone having a hunch based off nothing really.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Every movie is basically someone's pet project and low budgets movies have always been made. People would be pissed if they weren't. Whether he cheaped out as a producer more than the usual low budget film is something for the civil courts to decide. As for him mishandling the gun, you have absolutely no proof of that. It's fine if you think that but to convict him there has to be actual proof not just someone having a hunch based off nothing really.
Well yeah every movie is someone’s pet project, but I think that should come with more responsibility, especially when firearms are involved. Given the other reported safety issues it just doesn’t seem smart to go forward filming until they got things worked out.

Of course it’ll have to be delved into at the trial, but that’s my hunch. Outside of potential footage that surfaces I’m not sure how they’d prove if his finger was on the trigger or not.

Moving forward I think there definitely needs to be an emphasis of responsibility on any actor who is handling a firearm on set. Theres no universe where someone should be handed a gun and just assume someone else did their diligence and it’s empty.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
The incompetent nepo girl (her dad was a famous armorer and the only reason she is one and got any jobs) had one job, to make sure all the guns were safe, she failed. The project involved many producers, Baldwin reportedly wasn't involved in hiring her or any smaller roles. So you can't say well he's at fault for directly hiring someone he knew was incompetent.

For him to be guilty of manslaughter imo, he'd have to have done something like mess with and try to load a gun himself, directly and knowingly hired the incompetent woman as a favor, horseing around and pulling the trigger toward people and fire a bunch of blanks as a joke, etc...you know something actualy reckless.

There's just no way with the information and facts have now you can say he should be convicted of manslaughter.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaaaB's

Babe Ruth

All I want for Father's Day.. is cash.
Feb 2, 2016
Every movie is basically someone's pet project and low budgets movies have always been made. People would be pissed if they weren't. Whether he cheaped out as a producer more than the usual low budget film is something for the civil courts to decide. As for him mishandling the gun, you have absolutely no proof of that. It's fine if you think that but to convict him there has to be actual proof not just someone having a hunch based off nothing really..
I think the case will hinge on whether the jury feels Baldwin should have double checked the gun before pointing the gun at other people on the set.. it's not really about "mishandling" the gun. It'll be about Baldwin's exercise of "due caution".

I looked thru New Mexico's manslaughter codes, and there's no special consideration while working on a movie set. Even if an armorer has a professional expectation of checking a gun for live rounds.. it doesn't legally/specifically relieve actors of their own responsibilities when a handling a gun.
I notice in the thread, you seem personally outraged at charges against Baldwin. But I don't see anything unjust in this manslaughter charge; you want other posters in here to 'prove' Baldwin's guilt? I don't think most of us care that much or feel that obligation. But involuntary manslaughter really isn't an outrageous charge against someone who shot two people, killing one of them. peace.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I think the case will hinge on whether the jury feels Baldwin should have double checked the gun before pointing the gun at other people on the set.. it's not really about "mishandling" the gun. It'll be about Baldwin's exercise of "due caution".

I looked thru New Mexico's manslaughter codes, and there's no special consideration while working on a movie set. Even if an armorer has a professional expectation of checking a gun for live rounds.. it doesn't legally/specifically relieve actors of their own responsibilities when a handling a gun.
I notice in the thread, you seem personally outraged at charges against Baldwin. But I don't see anything unjust in this manslaughter charge; you want other posters in here to 'prove' Baldwin's guilt? I don't think most of us care that much or feel that obligation. But involuntary manslaughter really isn't an outrageous charge against someone who shot two people, killing one of them. peace.
The fact that you think an actor would even know how to do that is quite amusing. It's absolute nonsense to think an actor would have to double check a gun for live rounds when he was told by an armorer that there wasn't any. And you think I'm personally outraged when the whole thing has been a witch hunt. If he actually did anything wrong I wouldn't give shit if he went to jail. I've also seen enough your posts on this site to know you've got a bias against Baldwin so you're accusations are completely hollow.

And no I don't expect others here to prove he's guilty, I expect the prosecutor to have to prove he's guilty because that's how the law works. How the hell would anyone here prove he's guilty anyhow lol.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1