GDT: Free Agent FRENZY! Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Liles has to be moved probably Kulemin or maybe Dion at this point.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Philly is trading one of their D not named Schenn. If we want a deal with Philly we need to take Meszaros or Coburn. Then we'd be looking at needing to trade one of Gunnar or Franson for a LW, which we still need. Unless we have a go at Mason Raymond who might look really good beside Bolland and Clarkson or Kulemin.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I'm a little worried that people get tunnel vision about Bozak and Kessel. There are other centremen who can feed Kessel. Sure Bozie is good at it but he's not the one who "unlocks" Kessels talent.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Side note - so now that MacArthur is a Sen he's a top -6 winger eh?

When Clark is in the right situation he is a second line winger. He will probably do well 40-60pts. I would not be surprised if Ottawa take Grabo as well.

If they do consider it a mini rebuild for free. They will be a better team then us, already are as of right now.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
With Brennan and Gardiner you have to assume both that Liles has a suitor somewhere in the league, and that one of Gunnarson or Franson are on the way out for a more rugged, hard-nosed defenseman.

To be fair to TJ Brennan, people shouldn't be assuming he's a Puck Moving defender.

He's a nice asset to have as a 6th or 7th defender in the system, and I hope he can find his next gear that pushes him into a bigger role.

But he's simply not a big time puck mover.

He's a fluid skater and has a booming shot from the point, which is why people label him that, but his outlet passing, and puck movement in general is pretty much average.

He's also got a lot more grit and physicality to his game than many will expect.

His AHL stats are a bit inflated, as he has played some forward in the AHL in past seasons, but that just show's his ability to adjust to situations given to him.

I'd expect he'll be another player that Randy Carlyle likes and may use frequently if he performs.

He'll be an option to be a point shot on our 2nd PP unit, as well as be a gritty bottom pairing defender. He's also decent in his own zone, so I am quite curious to see how he performs in a Randy Carlyle system that helps cover up some defender's weaknesses. He could be a great depth addition that over achieves and finds himself with some fans in Toronto.

I personally love the signing, as Brennan has already defied the odds to get where he has by hard work.

Two teams have now given up on him, and he's still very young. I hope that lights a fire under him and he finds that same gear that got him drafted 31st overall.

He's got the tools and the raw talent, could he be our Grabner type of pickup?

Last edited:

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
To be fair to TJ Brennan, people shouldn't be assuming he's a Puck Moving defender.

He's a nice asset to have as a 6th or 7th defender in the system, and I hope he can find his next gear that pushes him into a bigger role.

But he's simply not a big time puck mover.

He's a fluid skater and has a booming shot from the point, which is why people label him that, but his outlet passing, and puck movement in general is pretty much average.

He's also got a lot more grit and physicality to his game than many will expect.

His AHL stats are a bit inflated, as he has played some forward in the AHL in past seasons, but that just show's his ability to adjust to situations given to him.

I'd expect he'll be another player that Randy Carlyle likes and may use frequently if he performs.

He'll be an option to be a point shot on our 2nd PP unit, as well as be a gritty bottom pairing defender. He's also decent in his own zone, so I am quite curious to see how he performs in a Randy Carlyle system that helps cover up some defender's weaknesses. He could be a great depth addition that over achieves and finds himself with some fans in Toronto.

I personally love the signing, as Brennan has already defied the odds to get where he has by hard work.

Two teams have now given up on him, and he's still very young. I hope that lights a fire under him and he finds that same gear that got him drafted 31st overall.

He's got the tools and the raw talent, could he be our Grabner type of pickup?

Love the post - good info on Brennan. Even if he isn't the prototypical marquee puck mover it sounds a if he represents an upgrade on the skill-side compared to Fraser, and with a hard slapped and some grit it should make for a solid addition. If we can say that effectively we have 4 puck movers in Franson, Gunnarson, Liles and Gardiner, is it safe to say that at least two should be expected to be moved. Seeing as Nonis is 'happy' with our depth down the middle, I don't expect Gardiner to go anywhere, and Liles is probably odd-man-out and will make a good fit on Tampa Bay or Long Island. So that brings us back to Franson or Gunnar being moved... I've heard rumors that Franson /Vancouver had been discussed but nothing on what the return was. Also heard rumors that Avs wanted Kulemin Gunnar and a pick for Stastny, but that seems redundant now.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Chuck presume Ottawa land Grabo, how do you feel we stack against them right now?

They have an impressive team for themselves right now.

But making that assumption is a big assumption.

That team really doesn't need Grabovski either.

Spezza
Turris
Smith
Zibby

Are all more than adequate to play the Center position, so they have some flexability and a lot of cap space to address any furthur issues they believe they have in their forward core.

I think they'll make some noise next year, and it is believed they are currently in the market to find themselves some depth on the back end to really make their team deep through and through.

Luckily for the Leafs, I believe they have found themselves a excellent Top 9 for a Carlyle system that can really neutralize some of the more skilled teams in this league.

Toronto will be a team that grinds you down, tires you out, and really gets under your skin with the additions of Bolland and Clarkson.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They have an impressive team for themselves right now.

But making that assumption is a big assumption.

That team really doesn't need Grabovski either.

Spezza
Turris
Smith
Zibby

Are all more than adequate to play the Center position, so they have some flexability and a lot of cap space to address any furthur issues they believe they have in their forward core.

I think they'll make some noise next year, and it is believed they are currently in the market to find themselves some depth on the back end to really make their team deep through and through.

Luckily for the Leafs, I believe they have found themselves a excellent Top 9 for a Carlyle system that can really neutralize some of the more skilled teams in this league.

Toronto will be a team that grinds you down, tires you out, and really gets under your skin with the additions of Bolland and Clarkson.

Fair enough, they could take Grabo and play him on a wing ala KHL. They could also take him and trade an asset for Pick furthering them along more.

I understand what you are saying but just feel they are now more talented with Ryan, almost stacked.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i agree with that.

basically now the entire team just has to work on defensive responsibility and I think we'll make some noise :)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
i agree with that.

basically now the entire team just has to work on defensive responsibility and I think we'll make some noise :)

Bobby Ryan and Spezza ring so much louder to me sadly. I am uncertain how this is going to play out, feel it a huge gamble.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think if we were to be honest - before their injuries Ottawa was always going to be closer to go further than we were. So even if you add up all the changes that were made between both teams, it shouldn't be surprising that Toronto is still (slightly) behind.

On paper.

I think for us, scoring the goals has never been the problem for us. (though we don't have the firepower as some teams do), our problems has always been on the defensive side of things. And if we can truly commit to the system (and I think we now have the tools to actually sit back and defend a lead), we're able to win games that way.

I personally would have been happier - if we had locked up one of Scuerdi or Ferrence, just that big one through four slot defense guy so that would have moved Gunnarson down (and have him play with Gardiner). but I do understand/appreciate they want to start building via committee and let more Marlies in.

so I think a full training camp: we're good to go.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Bobby Ryan and Spezza ring so much louder to me sadly. I am uncertain how this is going to play out, feel it a huge gamble.

I tend to think they paid a lot for Bobby Ryan's services. Not sold on it TBH from Ottawa's perspective but as part of a larger picture finally seeing teams take some chances and engage on some significantly-sized trades is a big positive for the league.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone we deal for to fill the top 4 void at D (if we choose to address it), will (IMO) probably get some salary retained for a little extra piece. At least that's what I would do as Nonis

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Anyone we deal for to fill the top 4 void at D (if we choose to address it), will (IMO) probably get some salary retained for a little extra piece. At least that's what I would do as Nonis

Definitely likely. Itll be interesting to see what Nonis does with the D corp now that the forward and goaltending situation is pretty much shored up.

For me the top four that we had playing against Boston was very nice:

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson

The only player I would really want to upgrade is Gunnar, but maybe thats something we leave until Rielly is ready to make the team? A 3rd pairing of Fraser-Liles would be solid, but Id rather see Liles shipped out at somepoint to relieve his nearly 4M$ of salary cap space, then let one of the younger guys come in and take his place (Holzer, Blacker?).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Definitely likely. Itll be interesting to see what Nonis does with the D corp now that the forward and goaltending situation is pretty much shored up.

For me the top four that we had playing against Boston was very nice:

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson

The only player I would really want to upgrade is Gunnar, but maybe thats something we leave until Rielly is ready to make the team? A 3rd pairing of Fraser-Liles would be solid, but Id rather see Liles shipped out at somepoint to relieve his nearly 4M$ of salary cap space, then let one of the younger guys come in and take his place (Holzer, Blacker?).

I think holzer/blacker gets it depending on what happens at training camp.
unless Rielly really makes a splash in camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad