Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
All our guys cleared, we claimed no one

It is possible that we put in a claim on a player who was claimed by a team higher in the priority order.

It wouldn't surprise me if we put in a claim on Reimer. He was good last season and he lost the NHL spot to a top young goalie. We could fit in his cap hit by burying Forsberg.

Anaheim claimed him, and they were higher in the priority order than us.

The other factor is that it is possible that we still acquire one of the LHD who were available. We might prefer to trade for them after they clear waivers, because that gives us the flexibility to move them between the AHL and NHL for a set period of time without losing them. It wouldn't surprise me to see us give up something like a 7th, or one of our waiver exempt fringe NHL forwards.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It is possible that we put in a claim on a player who was claimed by a team higher in the priority order.

It wouldn't surprise me if we put in a claim on Reimer. He was good last season and he lost the NHL spot to a top young goalie. We could fit in his cap hit by burying Forsberg.

The other factor is that it is possible that we still acquire one of the LHD who were available. We might prefer to trade for them after they clear waivers, because that gives us the flexibility to move them between the AHL and NHL for a set period of time without losing them. It wouldn't surprise me to see us give up something like a 7th, or one of our waiver exempt fringe NHL forwards.

We did not successfully claim anyone

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I didn’t think there would be any claims, when looking at cap room currently.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

How does claiming someone work if you don't have the capspace to fit them in? Do you get the opportunity to waive someone if your claim is successful, or do you need to pre-clear?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
How does claiming someone work if you don't have the capspace to fit them in? Do you get the opportunity to waive someone if your claim is successful, or do you need to pre-clear?

For today, rosters have to be submitted by 5PM.

So using the Reimer example, they could have waived Forsberg after acquiring Reimer.

I'm fairly certain that teams can do offsetting moves in season (send 775k down after claiming 775k), but I am not entirely certain.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
For today, rosters have to be submitted by 5PM.

So using the Reimer example, they could have waived Forsberg after acquiring Reimer.

I'm fairly certain that teams can do offsetting moves in season (send 775k down after claiming 775k), but I am not entirely certain.

I'm not entirely certain, either, but I don't think a team can do offsetting moves like that, because a player you claim immediately goes onto your cap, while the player you're waiving stays on your cap while they go through the waiver process. So for at least a 24 period, you're carrying both cap hits.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not entirely certain, either, but I don't think a team can do offsetting moves like that, because a player you claim immediately goes onto your cap, while the player you're waiving stays on your cap while they go through the waiver process. So for at least a 24 period, you're carrying both cap hits.
I guess it boils down to what is the penalty for going over the cap, and when your daily cap hit calculated.

Does waiving someone immediately remove them from your cap, or are they only removed 24 hours later when a claim is made or they are assigned to the AHL (I assume the later because you can waive someone then not send them down).

If you are over the cap, what happens, do you forfeit games until compliant, if so, what if you don't play that day? Alternatively, you might just be blocked from any transactions that put you over the cap, so no making claims...

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I guess it boils down to what is the penalty for going over the cap, and when your daily cap hit calculated.

Does waiving someone immediately remove them from your cap, or are they only removed 24 hours later when a claim is made or they are assigned to the AHL (I assume the later because you can waive someone then not send them down).

If you are over the cap, what happens, do you forfeit games until compliant, if so, what if you don't play that day? Alternatively, you might just be blocked from any transactions that put you over the cap, so no making claims...
you just can’t be over, play short for a game, I thought the Sens did that last year.

I assume after the 24 hour window

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad