What's the deal with tomorrow's start in Seattle?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's so that ESPN can air games at 4:30 Eastern that transitions into 7 pm Eastern that transitions into 10 pm Eastern.

Don't ask what their logic is, I guess that there's an audience of people without jobs or school that are so jazzed up for the start of the NHL season that they'll watch three full random games back-to-back-to-back on a Tuesday.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
its cause stanley cup winners gets a home game which is florida (assuming its not canceled) then utah's first game at home in their NHL history so we got stuck with our first home game ever to start a season at the earily slot time...

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I originally thought this was going to be like a Jerry Seinfeld joke when reading the title of the thread.

Certainly an odd choice to start the game at 1:30pm on a Tuesday, how do they expect fans to go to the game.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
who is their starter? In fantasy league and can’t find out who to pick up while both are available

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This aligns with the genius of playing Canadian teams in the afternoon on American holidays that Canadians don't get off.

I imagine it would be possible to hold the Canadian games for the evening, or just not playing them in the USA on those dates at all, but where is the fun in that?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's so that ESPN can air games at 4:30 Eastern that transitions into 7 pm Eastern that transitions into 10 pm Eastern.

Don't ask what their logic is, I guess that there's an audience of people without jobs or school that are so jazzed up for the start of the NHL season that they'll watch three full random games back-to-back-to-back on a Tuesday.
Apparently it worked well for baseball so ESPN wants to try it for hockey.

Not sure it'll work for hockey though, people aren't going to be taking the afternoon off to watch it other than the teams involved.

ESPN really needs to bank on Boston/Florida being a good game to get viewers for the 8pm game. I get it you have Bedard and a newish Utah team, but not sure that'll be enough.

Could end up with shit ratings for 2 of the 3 games

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
NHL on twitter: Are you excited to see Michkov?

Also NHL: you will start you career somewhere on the northwest, don't forget your jacket kid.
Screenshot_2024-10-07-22-32-04-130_com.nhl.gc1112.free-edit.jpg

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Man I should have taken an extra sick day tomorrow as well....lol

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Ehh, other sports do it. Locally, the Red Sox home opener is usually an early afternoon start time. If baseball can do it, so can you :razz:

dre2112

Jul 17, 2007
US and A
Hockey fans: ESPN doesn't do enough to promote hockey.

*ESPN proceeds to show a triple header on opening night*

Hockey fans: OMG HOW COULD ESPN DO THIS???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad