Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Was gong to say.. I don't remember Fisher and Havlat on the 4th line much if at all.... but my memory is shite so can't really rely on it. (too many hits to the head and/or too much partying) either way it is what it is.
Ya, if you're going to talk about a skilled 4th line, didn't we briefly run with Hoffman-Lazar-Stone?

I seem to recall people being upset we played Legwand Neil and Smith ahead of them.

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Havlat broke in a year before Neil was in the league (and scored 42 pts, 28 at ES while doing it), he played with Zammner and Prospal/Fisher who were the third line. Occasionally he moved up with Hossa,

The fourth line would have been guys like Emmons, Forbes and Andre Roy.

The next year when Neil joined the team, guys like Muckalt, Roy, Ciernek, Steve Martin, Jody Hull, and Neil rotated through the fourth line, Neil however get some shifts up the lineup to play with Fish and Havlat.
This is some impressive memory lol

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Havlat broke in a year before Neil was in the league (and scored 42 pts, 28 at ES while doing it), he played with Zammner and Prospal/Fisher who were the third line. Occasionally he moved up with Hossa,

The fourth line would have been guys like Emmons, Forbes and Andre Roy.

The next year when Neil joined the team, guys like Muckalt, Roy, Ciernek, Steve Martin, Jody Hull, and Neil rotated through the fourth line, Neil however get some shifts up the lineup to play with Fish and Havlat.

I'm genuinely impressed that you remember that kind of detail lol

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The year Hoffman and Stone broke out was magical. I've never felt more powerful than watching Hoffman pot nearly 30 goals when 30 goals meant something..

I legit almost spent $250 on a Hoffman jersey and I have no idea why because I don't drop that kind of money on jerseys. I only buy the cheap traded player ones.

Maybe it's because we had the same haircut.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The year Hoffman and Stone broke out was magical. I've never felt more powerful than watching Hoffman pot nearly 30 goals when 30 goals meant something..

I legit almost spent $250 on a Hoffman jersey and I have no idea why because I don't drop that kind of money on jerseys. I only buy the cheap traded player ones.

And most importantly was how he scored all but 1 goal at even strength.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Remember that game where they put stone lazar and Hoffman on a line and they ended up scoring.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Maybe not...Why is a 27 year old coming off two 40+ point seasons only able to get an offer of $975k?

I am not overly familiar with Sprong's history but isn't this a sign that he isn't highly coveted to be forced to sign for such a low salary?
Terrible defensively. Disappears for long stretches. Atrocious attitude. Plus seeing how he made $2mill on a non-contending team, he may have very well only wanted to play for a contender.

He is one of the most productive 5on5 producers in the league per 60, but outside of that and being useful on the PP, he's an extreme liability.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yeah, didn't take long for Stone and Hoffman to work their way up the lineup though.
Once upon a time we had the best right side in hockey with Alfredsson, Hossa, Havlat & Neil. Moving Hossa for Heatley one could argue gave them a little more balance & scoring from the other side.

Reactions: bicboi64

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe not...Why is a 27 year old coming off two 40+ point seasons only able to get an offer of $975k?

I am not overly familiar with Sprong's history but isn't this a sign that he isn't highly coveted to be forced to sign for such a low salary?
He had some attitude rep issues early on ... I don't know much about that side of the player.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
More on the 850 bonus. dyodd

They would have had to attach a pick to Brannstrom or Kubalik. I am not sure if Sanderson's bonuses were already hit at the TDL. It may have been a case where he was projected to hit them, but could have missed them if he got hurt.

Part of the Tarasenko trade that people miss is that the Senators actually cleared 1.74M. Had they refused to retain and kept Tarasenko, they don't clear that. Had a deal materialized for Kubalik or Brannstrom in combination with that 1.74M, they may have been able to avoid the bonus overage.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not sure we can just assume that we could have traded a player we didn’t want at the deadline just because it would have been convenient for us in the off season.

Reactions: LiseL

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He had some attitude rep issues early on ... I don't know much about that side of the player.
It just makes me wonder if the problems outweigh the benefits of adding the player. Getting a 20 goal, 40 point winger for 1 year at $975k seems like an absolute bargain. But if a player who brings that to the table is forced to sign for that, it at least opens up the question of how many bad things do they bring to the team.

Given that Sprong has had some reputation issues in the past it does make me question how he is viewed around the league and why teams were so hesitant to sign him.

Reactions: NB613 and BigRig4

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Not sure we can just assume that we could have traded a player we didn’t want at the deadline just because it would have been convenient for us in the off season.

They very obviously tried to move players.

Nobody was taking our junk without a sweetener.

My two questions would be:
  1. Was Joseph+3rd on the table at the deadline?
  2. Was there a deal to send Chychrun away without taking back term, and also while clearing the cap needed to cover Sanderson's overage?
Those are probably the two realistic scenarios where we could have cleared the money.

I wonder if we overplayed our hand with Chychrun, or if we simply could not trade him because of how bungled our cap was. Most teams would have wanted us to take back a contract. You can make this conclusion based on the nature of the cap and the need for trades to be cap neutral. We simply couldn't take back a contract with term, unless it was a #1 goalie or a top 4 RHD. We weren't going to have cap flexibility going into the offseason to waste on a player we didn't need, just to get a return on Chychrun.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and LiseL

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Terrible defensively. Disappears for long stretches. Atrocious attitude. Plus seeing how he made $2mill on a non-contending team, he may have very well only wanted to play for a contender.

He is one of the most productive 5on5 producers in the league per 60, but outside of that and being useful on the PP, he's an extreme liability.
Do you think he signed for so low because he had his mind set on going to a contender or does his low salary say something significant about how he is viewed around the league?

It makes me wonder if teams view him as brining more bad than good to the table and maybe that a lot of teams wouldn't even be willing to offer him any contract.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It just makes me wonder if the problems outweigh the benefits of adding the player. Getting a 20 goal, 40 point winger for 1 year at $975k seems like an absolute bargain. But if a player who brings that to the table is forced to sign for that, it at least opens up the question of how many bad things do they bring to the team.

Given that Sprong has had some reputation issues in the past it does make me question how he is viewed around the league and why teams were so hesitant to sign him.
Sens right now want to improve the culture and get over a hump.. Anyone with possible issues would be avoided.. fairly or not. That doesn't mean Sprong is not good value sub 1m ; the fit isn't likely right for the Sens atm.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

He is a liability away from the puck.

40 points also isn't what it used to be with elevated scoring. He was 8th on scoring in Detroit. So it isn't a very compelling number when taking into account his shortcomings.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They would have had to attach a pick to Brannstrom or Kubalik. I am not sure if Sanderson's bonuses were already hit at the TDL. It may have been a case where he was projected to hit them, but could have missed them if he got hurt.

Part of the Tarasenko trade that people miss is that the Senators actually cleared 1.74M. Had they refused to retain and kept Tarasenko, they don't clear that. Had a deal materialized for Kubalik or Brannstrom in combination with that 1.74M, they may have been able to avoid the bonus overage.
I see what you’re saying, but to make it more clear, they didn’t actually clear 1.74 million.
Around 75% of his 5 million was already paid out at the TDL.
So he had 1.25 million about remaining, then retained 50%.
So they cleared about 625k.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad