Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
And smart about the 99% they didn’t pick off waivers
I mean if the risk reward is lopsided why would they?

They took a shot on a cheap player that had high upside and potentially fit a need with limited downside.

What's the worst case that can happen picking Hoffman or Kaliyev off waivers? What's the best case?

Why would they feel stupid if it didn't work out? It's a free wallet.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

They took a shot on a cheap player that had high upside and potentially fit a need with limited downside.

What's the worst case that can happen picking Hoffman or Kaliyev off waivers? What's the best case?

I’m pretty sure there are restrictions to what you can do with a player when you get them off waivers vs trading for them.

Which is why many times you see a guy go through waivers and then a week later they get traded.

If Kalyan were to go through waivers he may get picked up based on a so so season a couple seasons ago and draft pedigree.

Hoffman didn’t have either of those things.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I’m pretty sure there are restrictions to what you can do with a player when you get them off waivers vs trading for them.

Which is why many times you see a guy go through waivers and then a week later they get traded.

If Kalyan were to go through waivers he may get picked up based on a so so season a couple seasons ago and draft pedigree.

Hoffman didn’t have either of those things.
The issue is you're giving them a roster spot and can't send them down without waivers again isn't it?

And Hoffman is a funny one to compare to iirc. He's one of those very rare examples of a skill guy being brought up, practically buried deep in the lineup, and putting up numbers regardless of very limited time and opportunity. I always thought he was a bit of an outlier for that but could be remembering wrong.

That's one I always gave credit to Dorion for. He was bullish that Hoffman was their skilled forward most likely to make an impact in the NHL in Bingo at the time. Remember him saying it numerous times that he was gonna show out eventually.

Reactions: aragorn

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The issue is you're giving them a roster spot and can't send them down without waivers again isn't it?

And Hoffman is a funny one to compare to iirc. He's one of those very rare examples of a skill guy being brought up, practically buried deep in the lineup, and putting up numbers regardless of very limited time and opportunity. I always thought he was a bit of an outlier for that but could be remembering wrong.

That's one I always gave credit to Dorion for. He was bullish that Hoffman was their skilled forward most likely to make an impact in the NHL in Bingo at the time. Remember him saying it numerous times that he was gonna show out eventually.

Mike Hoffman also led to Guy Boucher because when they drafted Hoff it was on the recommendation of his junior coach Guy Boucher and then Dorion of course fell in love

Mike Hoffman still doesn’t know how to play LW, bringing him in would be the exact opposite of what we want - a player with an attitude problem who is small, doesn’t back check and we don’t need on PP

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Adam Boqvist signs a one year two way deal. Boy does it help winning a cup and having some opportunity while playing with your brother in florida.

This team is trying to build a winning culture with 200 foot players. Why would they add Hoffman or Kaliyev? The worst case is they blow up a room over a depth player they dont need. Kaliyev is slow, Hoffman is washed and has no motor.

Nick Cousins would be a way better fit with what they are trying to accomplish.

If they were going to take a chance on a guy I rather it be Sprong as he can really skate.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Adam Boqvist signs a one year two way deal. Boy does it help winning a cup and having some opportunity while playing with your brother in florida.

This team is trying to build a winning culture with 200 foot players. Why would they add Hoffman or Kaliyev? The worst case is they blow up a room over a depth player they dont need. Kaliyev is slow, Hoffman is washed and has no motor.

If they were going to take a chance on a guy I rather it be Sprong as he can really skate.
We should start a new blog and web site that promotes grinders. Grinder.com. You'd think a good sized fast grinder that hits and can defend and has some skill should be easy enough to find.. I mean how many of these guys come through the CHL and NCAA for that matter, go undrafted or are 7th rounders. We should promote these guys.
There are guys we know as well.
I would consider Katchouk again for the 4th line .. I didn't mind his stint here last year.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

I meant Hoffman when he first went on waivers. Who would want him now lol. But he won us a ton of games when he was with us.

And Kaliyev has size and can use it, don't we need that? Upside is you get a big body 30+ goal scorer. Downside is you waive him again?

And you're right this room is soft with weak ass leadership. Waiver wire pickups at risk of blowing up the room.

And it wouldn't be the waiver wire pickups fault.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Poor edge work! Hope he was not seriously hurt.
Ask him again after laser eye surgery
Will it be one eye for long distance and one for short viewing?
We should start a new blog and web site that promotes grinders. Grinder.com. You'd think a good sized fast grinder that hits and can defend and has some skill should be easy enough to find.. I mean how many of these guys come through the CHL and NCAA for that matter, go undrafted or are 7th rounders. We should promote these guys.
There are guys we know as well.
I would consider Katchouk again for the 4th line .. I didn't mind his stint here last year.
I would prefer a bigger body who either plays very solid D or hits a ton than Katchouk.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
And Kaliyev has size and can use it, don't we need that? Upside is you get a big body 30+ goal scorer. Downside is you waive him again?
What makes you think that.
Career high 14 goals, career total 35.
How is he using his size, he would of finished 21st on the Sens in hits.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What makes you think that.
Career high 14 goals, career total 35.
How is he using his size, he would of finished 21st on the Sens in hits.
many ways to use your size.

Draisaitl has 58 hits on the season. less than one a game. you don't think he uses his size? he is one of the best players in the league at it.

and Sanderson career high is what 38? does that mean it ensures he can't go much higher? of course he can.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I meant Hoffman when he first went on waivers. Who would want him now lol. But he won us a ton of games when he was with us.

And you're right this room is soft with weak ass leadership. Waiver wire pickups at risk of blowing up the room.

And it wouldn't be the waiver wire pickups fault.
Hoffman already blew up this room. Weird push back. Involving your demi God non the less.

Kaliyev on waivers for league minimum sure whatever.

It's obvious this management group is trying to build a stronger culture with more consistent players that play a certain way. You want to add guys that don't fit that mold by the sounds of it.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
lol, that’s 90% higher.
Let us know when Kaliyev decides to use his size.

cmon man draisaitl played way more games and way more minutes.

Hoffman already blew up this room. Weird push back. Involving your demi God non the less.

Kaliyev on waivers for league minimum sure whatever.

It's obvious this management group is trying to build a stronger culture with more consistent players that play a certain way. You want to add guys that don't fit that mold by the sounds of it.

dorion blew up the room.

and no im fine with adding real character and real professionals. which they have done.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
i wonder if we could get whitecloud from vegas

they have pietrangelo, theodore and korczak as RD's so it does seem like he is available

cap would be really tight

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
They are cap compliant because Lehner is on LTIR and presumably not coming back.

It is a good option if they decide to make another move and need to dump cap..
cap compliant yes but they got 4 RD's that they cant send to the minors without waivers, they also have 4 LD's in the same situation. It makes more sense to keep the cheaper extra guy

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
5 teams: Dallas Stars, Montreal Canadiens, San Jose Sharks, Buffalo Sabres, and Ottawa Senators are all connected to Kaliyev.
Low offer from Ottawa will not be accepted by LA, because Ottawa is not only one team which is interested in Kaliev.

You say that as if that’s not totally ok…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad