Confirmed with Link: Jackets hire Dean Evason as head coach

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
We don't actually know that MacLellan would have been the #1 option. If they interviewed all three, Evason might have beaten MacLellan anyways.

My point being, your negativity should be directed at ownership for having $ limits in the process. Not at hiring Evason
This is not directed at Evanson, majority of everyone of these guys including Larsen are great guys, but not for the given situation. You are right I am more about go after the right person and not making a decision with a cap for the right coach. The only reason we got Hitch or Torts was because we got them at a discount, while another team paid for them Phily for 1 year of Hitch and 4 years from Vanc for Torts.

Evanson is under $2m a year and less than that after Minnesota pays 1/2 the freight. I am not saying the most expensive is the best but he has been known to ride the same lines, doesn’t make in game changes when needed and shortens the bench. Sounds a lot like Vincent. Ohh and never won a round in playoffs in the NHL or WHL, but he is a players coach, who holds everyone accountable. Still sounds like Vincent.

I’m for the hire, but if he keeps McCarthy he’ll deserve his fate.
This may be out of his hands. DW has good history with McCarthy and ownership has proven to put a cap on coaches. McCarthy has 1 more year on his contract.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Good hire, I'm happy with it!

Skeptical because he lost the room in Minnesota being a players coach. Only 250 game as head coach with Minnesota, when DW touted experience as an NHL HC. I thought even worse of Jay Woodcroft, this team needs defensive structure and is Evanson known as that ???
Average coaching tenure in the NHL is 2-3...

I don't see the problem.

Reactions: LJ7 and Monk

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
dean-evason.gif

😼

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
paul maurice was seen for years as the guy who couldn't get it done in the playoffs. all it takes is one run with a loaded roster and hot goalie to change that.
That's true, I wouldn't have minded McLellan, even though Evason was my clear preference.

Funnily enough, looking at the rosters that they have coached, I think it would be more suitable to make this particular argument for Evason than for McLellan.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I haven't kept up you guys since a few years ago when you had a tough, disciplined team that scared a team or two in the playoffs. If memory serves, both you and the Wild were on record, or near record hot streaks prior to a regular season meeting - forgotten if it was Dean or Boudreau coaching at the time.

Dean should be able to steer the team back in that direction, making them responsible defensively and tough to play against. Not a miracle worker, but he will install a system, and demand that players work hard.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
That’s all it takes. Piece of cake.
Funnily enough, looking at the rosters that they have coached, I think it would be more suitable to make this particular argument for Evason than for McLellan.
i get why this brain-poisoned fan base would have this reflexive disgust/angst over seeing first-round exits but that ignores the actual context behind those exits.

evason, as a first-time head coach, took over a mediocre team dealing with insane cap constraints and had them winning at a 110-point pace for three years running. they overachieved because of the system he implemented.

then they lost in the first round three straight times. they had the weaker roster/goalie in each of those series.

elite coaches like cooper and maurice needed way more than three bites at the apple – and with rosters far better than minnesota's – to actually win the damn thing.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I'll take him over McLellan honestly. I'm happy with this hire. Glad to finally take a guy from the outside.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
i get why this brain-poisoned fan base would have this reflexive disgust/angst over seeing first-round exits but that ignores the actual context behind those exits.

evason, as a first-time head coach, took over a mediocre team dealing with insane cap constraints and had them winning at a 110-point pace for three years running. they overachieved because of the system he implemented.

then they lost in the first round three straight times. they had the weaker roster/goalie in each of those series.

elite coaches like cooper and maurice needed way more than three bites at the apple – and with rosters far better than minnesota's – to actually win the damn thing.
I might have made a post very similar to this (Evason was my preferred of the three) but when I read “all it takes is a loaded roster and a hot goalie” it struck me.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Preferred Evason of the known options but what do I know of coaches... I'm the guy who thought Maurice is a very bad hockey coach, who just happens to be charismatic and well spoken. I was never a fan of McLellan, wherever he goes they'll probably win the cup now :) Really liked Evason's record with Minnesota and got the vibe he could be a good fit, we'll see.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad