Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Looks like the move down was to get rid of Korpi

Not surprising.

They had to get rid of him and a buyout likely wasn't viable.

Maybe they could have gotten Ullmark for a lower price had Boston taken Korpisalo, but clearly based on getting Ullmark for the 25th pick, that was the better deal. Moving down from 7 to 12 is probably worth a late 1st or a high 2nd.

We just saw San Jose give up 42 to move up from 14 to 11. Moving up from 12 to 7 should be more expensive.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

Looks like the move down was to get rid of Korpi
The fact that we had a deal to dump Korpi even without a goalie coming back is interesting.

One thing it tells me is that Staois doesn't tip his hand. At his year-end presser he was seemingly adamant that he would run it back with Korpisalo. In the future, probably not worth reading much into what he says during media availability.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The fact that we had a deal to dump Korpi even without a goalie coming back is interesting.

One thing it tells me is that Staois doesn't tip his hand. At his year-end presser he was seemingly adamant that he would run it back with Korpisalo. In the future, probably not worth reading much into what he says during media availability.
His interview yesterday seemed to me like while he does see Korpisalo and Forsberg as being better than they performed last year and said they can bring more and be good NHL goalies, he still identified the position as needing to be upgraded as a top priority. When asked about making a splash, he said it wasn't about that, the Ullmark acquisition... "was the right thing to do for this group" iirc.

I think he's smart enough to know that Korpsisalo and Forsberg's ceilings are a clear backup more than even a 1B playing half the games, so rolling both out again wasn't really a great option as it's setting both of them up to fail too.

Reactions: BigRig4

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I dislike that deal for Vancouver tbh. Myers is worth 3 mil, but I feel like the Canucks would be better off spending that money towards a real top 4 D.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Vancouver has a great team, but I worry they’re extending a lot of guys to relatively big money coming off career years.
Ya, it is gonna be real interesting. I feel similar, but they do also have some gamers there, and Demko is world class if he can stay healthy. I've been arguing with my co-worker all year that they will come back to Earth though.

Still lots up in the air for them this offseason too. Lindholm, Zadorov, Guentzel pursuit.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I dont know what I am going to do without capfriendly man.

Just as I’ve been suggesting all week.

Glad Staois had a backup plan to move Korpi
Kind of concerned this was plan B at all. 7th overall is one of this clubs top assets and it shouldnt be used or diluted to shed a contract.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The third year of the Myers contract is probably a buyout, or they will have to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick to dump it. The real money is 2.3M, so he might be moveable to a budget team.

This is a similar situation to Tanev, that the player is 34 years old so they aren't subject to the buyout restrictions that come with a front loaded 35+ contract. So they can add an extra year with the idea that worst case scenario, they buy it out.

I dont know what I am going to do without capfriendly man.

Kind of concerned this was plan B at all. 7th overall is one of this clubs top assets and it shouldnt be used or diluted to shed a contract.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

Staios has the difficult job of winning now to keep Brady, while also repairing the abysmal prospect pool, and dealing with a complete lack of roster and cap flexibility left by the Dorion regime.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't love it, but Staios indicated upgrading goaltending was his highest priority this offseason, and Korpisalo's contract stood in the way of that, if we're being realistic, so it would have stung somewhere. Maybe Philly was the only other team willing to consider Korpisalo (I'm still shocked anyone did) no matter the context, and this was the only deal that existed where they'd consider it. It sucks, but that was a woofer of a contract to try to move and something like just a 2nd obviously wasn't going to get it done even with retention. I'd have done it if it meant no Ullmark otherwise.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
That's a good return if it is confirmed that there is no retention. He is a pending UFA. There is no guarantee that he will re-sign. They get 5.8M of cap space and a 2nd.

If they had to take back a contract or retain, it wouldn't be as good of a return.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The Caps are strange they are all over the place .

They should be rebuilding not adding PLD etc.

I like what Conroy is doing in Cal. He’s attempting a complete tear down which is good

Reactions: NB613

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The Caps are strange they are all over the place .

They should be rebuilding not adding PLD etc.

I like what Conroy is doing in Cal. He’s attempting a complete tear down which is good
Just like Pittsburgh cannot rebuild as long as they have Crosby and Malkin, Washington can't rebuild as long as they have Ovechkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad