Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Staios will find a way to unload Forsberg without taking cap back, and we'll sign a bargain bin goalie to be Ullmark's back up

Sens brass had Alfie and Forsberg contact Ullmark about playing in Ottawa. Ullmark also mentioned familiarity with Forsberg as both were teammates a decade ago

I don’t think Forsberg is going anywhere

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Sens brass had Alfie and Forsberg contact Ullmark about playing in Ottawa. Ullmark also mentioned familiarity with Forsberg as both were teammates a decade ago

I also thought we would dump Forsberg for a late pick until the same info you cited came out.

It seems that they will keep them as a tandem.

Anyone else hearing talk of Weegar?

I think there were some rumours via Pagnotta at the deadline, but I don't recall anything so far this offseason.

Chychrun has been tied to Calgary.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Curious to see what the Sens do for 4th line center. Grieg could slot in, bit would be better served playing with more skilled players I think.

Ostapchuk could win the spot out of camp. Chartier could get some reps.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of quality veteran 4th line center types in this UFA class. Kevin Stenlund, Sam Carrick possibly.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Tanev at 6-7 years isn't that crazy. Hear me out.

The NHL has rules about front-loading contracts with players who are 35+ years old. Luckily for us, Tanev is 34.

Look at the following contract, which is apparently compliant.

Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 1.54.46 PM.png

• Tanev expects to get a 5.5M x 2Y type contract from other teams.
  • We offer him 11M guaranteed in the first two years through signing bonuses.
  • We offer him a 7 year NMC (lol).
  • We are upfront with him that we don't expect him to still play out the entire contract, and he will probably be bought out or end up on LTIR at one point.
  • He doesn't care, because he is guaranteed the same amount of money over the first two seasons as he would get elsewhere, and if he signs 2 years with a different team he may not be in a position to get another contract at the age of 36.
  • Tanev looks at it like in a worst case scenario where he is bought out in year 3 when his guaranteed signing bonuses end, he walks away with 16M+ total from what effectively was a 2 year contract. If he is bought out in year 4, it works out to being 19M+ for 3 years. Either way, those numbers are more than he will get from anybody else on a 2-3 year contract.
  • Sens do it to circumvent the salary cap and get Tanev at under 4M instead of over 6M.
Obviously, the above would NEVER happen, but with someone bringing up a 6 year contract for a 34 year old, it's an interesting thought exercise to see if it makes sense for both parties. Sens wouldn't do it because they would essentially be permitting 6-8 years of dead cap, or possibly setting themselves up to pay an LTIRetired player (he may not be insured since he won't be among our top paid players in this scenario).

Reactions: Tuna99

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
What does a one-way AHL contract entail?

Trading Merilainen would be such a dumb thing to do.
You get your AHL salary even in the ECHL. A guy like Simpson probably signed for the AHL minimum [about 53k] so he'd still get that even when demoted.

Players in the ECHL on a two-way can be paid as little as 520 dollars a week.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Merilainen is on his ELC. That means the Senators can assign him to the ECHL.

We're likely looking at something like this.

NHL
Ullmark
Forsberg

AHL
Sogaard
Simpson

ECHL
Merilainen

The implication of this move might mean they aren't going to qualify Mandolese, who aside from being notorious for having one of the greatest debuts for a goalie prospect in Senators history, likely isn't projected to ever make the NHL and cannot be assigned to the ECHL without his consent.

Or, it could be that Simpson is a project/depth for the AHL team and will be their third goalie.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Just read into it even more. That's awesome that Forsberg was involved.

Looks like Joseph's getting moved, can't think of another way to make capspace unless someone sucker takes Norris

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad