Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I don’t know, if you ask me, Chychrun makes no sense for the Flyers or the Kings. But I guess he made no sense for us and we acquired him so you never know.

The Kings I could see.

They have one year left of Gavrikov and outside of Anderson, are thin at LD.

Reactions: BigRig4

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
The Kings I could see.

They have one year left of Gavrikov and outside of Anderson, are thin at LD.
They have Clarke and Spence on the right side who are offensive guys though. Think they need a good defensive LD.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
There were very few everyday defensemen in the league last year that were worse than Jacob Bernard-Docker - Jarred Tinordi, Travis Hamonic, Travis Dermott, a few others. He's in that tier of really awful players, though.

The team gets dreadful on-ice results when he's playing, and it's not even like he has high upside. There are no puck skills here to speak of, and doesn't have the feet or the length or the IQ or the nastiness to be a quality defender. He's just pure filler. If he weren't a 1st round pick he'd probably be sitting somewhere around a dozen games played just like Max Guenette.

Staios and Poulin have made no secret of their belief that the support players on this team can't be guys in their mid-20's that aren't very good/are trying to find their own way in the league. That's why Kastelic is gone, and it's why guys like Bernard-Docker, Brannstrom and Joseph probably aren't far behind.

There are plenty of decent vets that you can plug-in as a 6/7.
I get where you’re coming from and agree that JBD is no world beater at this point. Ideally we’d upgrade. But even then, we’re one rhd injury away from … hamonic? Guenette? (who maybe is in a similar situation to JBD but not quite as good/experienced?)

RHD are scarce these days. They are tough to acquire and cost more than replacement level simply because there’s fewer of them to go around.

I would love to have a decent vet upgrade for JBD, but I can’t think of any vet rhd that are significantly better than him at the same cost. Are there any in mind, examples?

Imo the wise move is to swap chychrun, spend about that cap or a bit more on a decent 2nd pairing RD, and keep JBD on the third pairing or in the 7 spot simply because he is rhd and cheap. I think we’d be better off relying on a solid balanced top 4 with a third pairing playing 15 or less, spending /spreading what cap is left on pinto, bottom 6 C/w vet who are physical and tough to play against. Replacing JBD isn’t worth the cost relative to other options to spend.

Reactions: DrEasy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ok... so this is where we stand:

Tkachuk-Stu-Giroux
Greig-Pinto(RFA)-Batherson
???-Norris-Joseph
Kelly(RFA)-Ostapchuk-MacEwen

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-??? (Chychrun for now)
Kleven?-JBD
Hamonic

Ullmark
Forsberg

Assuming Chychrun is moved, we have ~14 mil to:
1. Re-sign Pinto, and Kelly
2. Sign/acquire a top 4 RHD
3. Get a middle 6 winger
4. Add depth to create competition for the 4th line and bottom pair D.

Pinto likely costs ~3-3.5 for a bridge, 5-5.5 with some term
Kelly about 1 Mil
A top 4 RHD 4.5-5.5?
A middle 6 winger ~3.5?

I could see Joseph, JBD getting moved as well.
It looks pretty good already. I guess this pushes Ostapchuk into the nhl unless we get someone else (probable).
I’d like to see crooker in the 3lw spot too but I get we’re trying to add some veterans.
Almost there…just a couple more moves. Staios has got this.
Everything depends on the rhd that comes in for chychrun.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
21 OA isn’t a guarentee to ever be a full time nhler. And neither is kaliyev
Well that’s draft picks in general, doesn’t mean they aren’t useful.

The thing with Chychrun is he’s not good enough to get you a solid RD, and it doesn’t make much sense to trade him for bottom six wingers, which are our other needs. And we just got a goalie, so that basically leaves trading him for futures.

Reactions: DrEasy and BigRig4

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Well that’s draft picks in general, doesn’t mean they aren’t useful.

The thing with Chychrun is he’s not good enough to get you a solid RD, and it doesn’t make much sense to trade him for bottom six wingers, which are our other needs. And we just got a goalie, so that basically leaves trading him for futures.
Futures can be flipped as long as the deal materializes soon-ish.

Reactions: PlayOn

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I get where you’re coming from and agree that JBD is no world beater at this point. Ideally we’d upgrade. But even then, we’re one rhd injury away from … hamonic? Guenette? (who maybe is in a similar situation to JBD but not quite as good/experienced?)

RHD are scarce these days. They are tough to acquire and cost more than replacement level simply because there’s fewer of them to go around.

I would love to have a decent vet upgrade for JBD, but I can’t think of any vet rhd that are significantly better than him at the same cost. Are there any in mind, examples?

Imo the wise move is to swap chychrun, spend about that cap or a bit more on a decent 2nd pairing RD, and keep JBD on the third pairing or in the 7 spot simply because he is rhd and cheap. I think we’d be better off relying on a solid balanced top 4 with a third pairing playing 15 or less, spending /spreading what cap is left on pinto, bottom 6 C/w vet who are physical and tough to play against. Replacing JBD isn’t worth the cost relative to other options to spend.
At this point I think the plan for this summer clearly involves turning over the entire bottom-end of the defense. Chyhcrun will be traded, Hamonic will be bought out, and Brannstrom likely goes unqualified. They may end up keeping JBD.

If the plan is to be put Kleven in at 3LD, which it seems to be, then I think they're going to want a vet for him to partner with. I'm just not sure what type. If they want a guy to take some of the puck moving responsibility then they could go with Kevin Shattenkirk or Colin Miller. If they want to make a bigger, grittier pair then maybe they go with Vincent Desharnais or Ilya Lubushkin. I don't even think you need a right-hand shot there necessarily - guys like Calvin de Haan and Dmitry Kulikov have played their off-side effectively for years. Lots of options. You might have to pay a little more for some of them, but it's probably worth doing.

I think you're placing too much value on JBD simply because of handedness.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
At this point I think the plan for this summer clearly involves turning over the entire bottom-end of the defense. Chyhcrun will be traded, Hamonic will be bought out, and Brannstrom likely goes unqualified. They may end up keeping JBD.

If the plan is to be put Kleven in at 3LD, which it seems to be, then I think they're going to want a vet for him to partner with. I'm just not sure what type. If they want a guy to take some of the puck moving responsibility then they could go with Kevin Shattenkirk or Colin Miller. If they want to make a bigger, grittier pair then maybe they go with Vincent Desharnais or Ilya Lubushkin. I don't even think you need a right-hand shot there necessarily - guys like Calvin de Haan and Dmitry Kulikov have played their off-side effectively for years. Lots of options. You might have to pay a little more for some of them, but it's probably worth

I think you're placing too much value on JBD simply because of handedness.
Good options posted, if they come cheap enough.

Probably accurate that I’m overvaluing JBD due to handedness.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Garrioch says FLA, Detroit, LA and Chicago are interested in Chychrun.

Florida is barren of assets, Detroit must must pay a premium because they are f***tards, LA and Chicago could work.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
You could get Shai Buium as part of a Chychrun package from Detroit, then draft Zeev at 7.

Get Brandon and Chris Tanev.

We'd be totally brother-pilled.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Probably shouldn't be helping our chief competition for a playoff spot

I understand that mentality if you're moving a franchise player or a player with unique attributes that would make them a pain to play against more than the average player, like Matthew Tkachuk being traded to an Eastern conference team.

With a player like Chychrun, he's a star player or whatever, but if we don't send Detroit Chychrun, they will get a different top 4 defenseman in his place. It's not like he is a franchise level talent, or this unicorn of a player who we are gifting to a rival. If they don't get Chychrun, they will get someone else similar, so we might as well send him to where ever gets us the best return.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I understand that mentality if you're moving a franchise player or a player with unique attributes that would make them a pain to play against more than the average player, like Matthew Tkachuk being traded to an Eastern conference team.

With a player like Chychrun, he's a star player or whatever, but if we don't send Detroit Chychrun, they will get a different top 4 defenseman in his place. It's not like he is a franchise level talent, or this unicorn of a player who we are gifting to a rival. If they don't get Chychrun, they will get someone else similar, so we might as well send him to where ever gets us the best return.
I'd rather force Detroit go enjoy the open market prices over a fair caphit with chychrun and only 1 year left. They can go pay big with ton of term for a UFA dman. Might work out well for them but its always a big risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad