Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Weren't Winnipeg in on Chychrun?

I think he is worth more than Chychrun, but teams don't always get full value when it comes to College free agents who won't sign.
There could be something there but, despite the situation theyre in, that seems like a pretty awful outcome for the Jets. Chevy isnt one to panic, I think he will be able to parlay this into something pretty substantial.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
With the caveat that he would need to sign and rescind his college commitment, I wonder if Staois is poking around on a 7th for McGroatry (+?) deal.
Probably any team at least in the 10-15 Range should be making a call on him.
Sens as well. Or any team in discussions to trade down out of the top 10

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Depends? He could be good enough defensively to be a good partner for Chabot & allow Chabot to do his thing offensively. What do we need on D? Another good offensive D or a good defensive D? Seems to me in their pursuit of Tanev that they want a good defensive RD, maybe that's Peeke if they can't get Tanev. I'm just not sure I want to give up either of the two 1st rd picks.

If Peeke is in our top4 we're bottom 8 in the league again. He is not a suitable player for Chabot.

Bottom feeder Columbus couldn't wait to get rid of him.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
If Boston wants 7 or 12, tell them to kick rocks.

Offer the Boston pick, or do the same that Jersey did and offer a protected 1st in 2025

In thinking of that, Sens aren’t even able to offer a protected 2025 are they, because of Dorion.. Jesus man did he ever leave a trail of destruction in his wake.
Oops, replied in error.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
List them. I’m intrigued
An article posted earlier said Detroit and Carolina were also looking at goalies. Detroit is also in our division so that would leave Carolina if Boston doesn't want to help a division rival. If this trade is dependent on the draft, at least we don't have long to wait to see what happens.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If they keep playing defense like wanna be junior stars more concerned about their points totals.

It won't matter what goalie we get.
Ok, but the team being bad defensively doesn’t mean we don’t need a good goalie. I don’t see the argument here.

Doesn’t the team being bad defensively just make the goaltending position even more important?

Reactions: aragorn

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
An article posted earlier said Detroit and Carolina were also looking at goalies. Detroit is also in our division so that would leave Carolina if Boston doesn't want to help a division rival. If this trade is dependent on the draft, at least we don't have long to wait to see what happens.
Not so sure that Carolina is looking for a goalie, especially not an expensive one, and Yzerman said he likely wouldnt be seeking a longterm option

Ok, but the team being bad defensively doesn’t mean we don’t need a good goalie. I don’t see the argument here.
The argument, as always with that gem, is that Tkachuck sucks

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

Doesn’t the team being bad defensively just make the goaltending position even more important?
It would make having a good goaltender even more important

But without even average defense we will get slightly better goaltending with ullmark vs korpisolo

So is it an improvement yes but at the same time not really

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Realistically, how much of a difference would swapping Ullmark for Korpse have made last year? Anyone able to do that math to figure out how many more points we would have gotten (obviously very ballpark)?

EDIT: my math says .025 difference in save percentage is about one additional goal prevented every 40 shots or so. That would be a pretty big difference maker. Is my math right?

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Realistically, how much of a difference would swapping Ullmark for Korpse have made last year? Anyone able to do that math to figure out how many more points we would have gotten (obviously very ballpark)?

EDIT: my math says .025 difference in save percentage is about one additional goal prevented every 40 shots or so. That would be a pretty big difference maker. Is my math right?
Probably a couple more points in the standings, but still a non playoff team.

The defensive play is still the biggest concern.

I will throw something out the window if we acquire Ullmark and trade Korpisalo to only have Korpisalo put up good stats on another team while Ullmark struggles here.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Problem is, a bad defense pushes a goalie to work harder to make saves. Wears them out faster. That's why we see our netminders look good early on, only to fall on their face by December. And that is especially important when dealing with any netminder that isn't a workhorse (like Ullmark and Korpisalo).

Reactions: Alex1234

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Does it really matter? Last season was an abomination on all fronts. We are undoubtedly a better team going forward with Ulmark as the #1 starter.

If this team brought in Ulmark, the Tanevs, and maybe one more warm body (while moving a few necessary bodies out) - it could look entirely different on the ice next season. Especially if we can stay healthy, and we see the expected growth from guys like Pinto and Greig.

And of course it will also be the first time in 5 years that we start the season with an entirely new coaching staff. At least for myself, Im not committing to the idea that our core is broken until we see another coaching staff get a chance to work with this group first.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Does it really matter? Last season was an abomination on all fronts. We are undoubtedly a better team going forward with Ulmark as the #1 starter.

If this team brought in Ulmark, the Tanevs, and maybe one more warm body (while moving a few necessary bodies out) - it could look entirely different on the ice next season. Especially if we can stay healthy, and we see the expected growth from guys like Pinto and Greig.

And of course it will also be the first time in 5 years that we start the season with an entirely new coaching staff. At least for myself, Im not committing to the idea that our core is broken until we see another coaching staff get a chance to work with this group first.
You just have to hope that 5 years of loser hockey didn't do permanent damage. I still don't think Green is the right coach to turn things around.

Reactions: Alex1234

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Problem is, a bad defense pushes a goalie to work harder to make saves. Wears them out faster. That's why we see our netminders look good early on, only to fall on their face by December. And that is especially important when dealing with any netminder that isn't a workhorse (like Ullmark and Korpisalo).
Fun theory but not based in fact. Like, at all.

I cant see how someone could watch last season closely and conclude that the team/D dragged Korpisalo down. Our team D was not far off from Bostons, our goaltending was the worst in the league whereas Bostons was the best. Not because of our respective D’s but in spite of them.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Do people not think that this team, at least the core of the team will not improve as a whole or will all of these young players stay stagnant & never get better? Our best young players are entering their prime & some are still a couple of yrs from their prime. We have Pinto & Greig on the verge of being top 6 players while still not in their prime at a time when Giroux will either retire or re-sign for another yr or two. A number of players on this team will get better.

A good legitimate #1 goalie will help this team be better & give them confidence, an upgrade on defence will help this team be better as well. Unfortunately, not every player available will come to Ottawa, unfortunately some of the players we want don't want us. I think you have to pursue those that are willing to come here, those that are willing to put their NMC to the side to come here. That means we might not always get a better player at times & have to settle for someone else.

A number of UFAs have likely waited most of their career to be in this position to choose where they want to play & might not necessarily go to a team that wants them & will pay more for them. For some guys it will be for the money while others it may be for a contender, while others might just play closer to family. I would love to get much better players but finding those that will want to come here that we want won't be easy especially in trades. This is why drafting is so important because you have control of those players for a number of yrs. Who you want & who you get are rarely the same.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad