Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You just have to hope that 5 years of loser hockey didn't do permanent damage. I still don't think Green is the right coach to turn things around.

It didnt break the core of teams like Florida, Edmonton, or Colorado to suck for extended periods of time... Vancouver and NJ seem to be coming along nicely, despite some hiccups along the way. Rebuilds are not all roses and peaches (f*** of NYR, Chicago and Pittsburgh), and dont all follow the same path or trajectory btw...

If our core players were all regressing or stagnating, then sure, things would be extremely concerning . But the core players are not really the ones disappointing us... That would mostly be the players coming from outside of the org, such as Chychrun or Debrincat with their -30 stat lines. Or the goalies... And yet we still have players like Pinto and Greig that continue to emerge as future impact NHLers - despite the on ice disarray that they've all developed in together.

And I like Green and so do a lot of good hockey people, so I guess we will just have to wait and see. Yeo is an awesome assistant too, so I have a lot of faith that were going to finally see just what this core roster is capable of doing (assuming the goaltending and D gets tweaked this offseason).

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Fun theory but not based in fact. Like, at all.

I cant see how someone could watch last season closely and conclude that the team/D dragged Korpisalo down. Our team D was not far off from Bostons, our goaltending was the worst in the league whereas Bostons was the best. Not because of our respective D’s but in spite of them.
This. Many top tier goalies on elite teams such as Swayman/Ulmark, Bobrovsky, Shesterkin ect are regularly playing out of their minds and bailing those great teams out of trouble. Craig Anderson did it for us once upon a time ago as well. Hockey is a game of chances, and most games see lots of them go both ways regardless of where you are in the standings.

The difference between our current goalies and them is that the other guys can stop the stoppable, non threatening chances (the vast majority of them on a nightly basis) as well as making the big save when the team needs it most.

Our goalies were neither of those things on anything close to a consistent basis. Who cares if you made a save on a breakaway if you followed that up by letting in an easy shot from the top of the circle on a nothing rush play? Too many games this team would fall behind, and then somehow claw its way back into it - just for one of our goalies to let in a total stinker which puts the game out of reach/kills all momentum for us. Bad goals at bad times...

For me, its impossible not say that the horrendous, backbreaking goals didn't directly or indirectly lose us countless games. And the rare seemingly brilliant game by one of them would be followed up by a string of duds by both of them...it was hopeless.

They were poop, pure dog poop.

Last edited:

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
He would go higher, arguably much higher, in a redraft. So no. I suspect there are a good # of teams who would take him between 5-10 in a redraft.
No way he even sniffs the top 10 in a re-draft, that class is stacked with quality forwards.

Kasper, Savoie, Geekie and Nazar likely fall out of the top 15, but not thay far. Then you have guys like Kulich, Yurov, Snuggerud, Lekkerimaki, Casey, and Hudson and more who have risen a lot. I think he likely stays at 14 or 15 in a re-draft maybe even falls a few spots.

Reactions: Laphroaig and ijif

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Probably a couple more points in the standings, but still a non playoff team.

The defensive play is still the biggest concern.

I will throw something out the window if we acquire Ullmark and trade Korpisalo to only have Korpisalo put up good stats on another team while Ullmark struggles here.
I don't think we should be concerned that Korpisalo will go elsewhere and light it up. Of course it's possible, but it shouldn't really be something to worry about, just like he shouldn't be relied on much if he returns. If he does light it up, he'll likely come back to earth shortly after. It's clearly more that he never should have gotten the contract he got because he's a backup and gives mostly backup performance. Now he's on a stretch of 3 of his last 4 seasons being some of his worst with the hip surgeries in there that were propped up as the golden egg.

If you're looking for a #1, his career has been pretty underwhelming. He's never handled much of a load with this season his first to technically break 40. Other than his rookie season 9 years ago and the last 2 years, his tandem peer(s) appears to have outperformed him every year. He has been comfortably below league average save percentage in 6 of 9 seasons.

37gp - .920 (Bob/McElhinney .908/890)
14gp - .905 (Bob/McElhinney .931/.924)
18gp - .897 (Bob .921)
27gp - .897 (Bob .913)
37gp - .911 (Merzlikins .923)
33gp - .894 (Merzlikins .916)
22gp - .877 (Merzlikins .907)
39gp - .913/.921 (Copley/Quick - .903/.876)
55gp - .890 - (Forsberg .890)

I would be happy for him if he does well in Ottawa or elsewhere, but it's a lottery ticket with too low odds imo that the season may ride or die on. Letting Talbot go and him doing well is fresh, as is letting Gus go to Min and have the stellar first year, but that was more age/contract related from Dorion's standpoint obviously. SS is imo sending a good message to the guys in the room if he upgrades D/team in general, but also basically says last year was just too bad performance in net to get another chance and change is happening.

This aggressive Ulmark pursuit is the best news of the offseason imo.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
When you look at advanced stats, we weren't even that bad defensively, slightly below average at worst.

Korpisalo and Forsberg consistently barely gave us a chance at winning, especially since, as someone earlier ITT alluded to, constantly having to play from behind really screws up a team's morale.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
So the rumours right now:

Ullmark willing to waive to go to Ottawa. Sens are pushing hard to acquire him.

Chychrun highly likely on the move. Boston, Nashville, Montreal, Detroit interested.

Kaliyev linked to Ottawa. Connection with management group.

Ottawa inquiring about Brandon Tanev. Trying to attract his brother?

Mathieu Joseph being shopped around.

Korpisalo potential buyout candidate.

With how open the management team has been with addressing the goaltending situation, especially lately, I would be very surprised if they didn't already have a deal in place for a goalie. There's a lot of smoke for Ullmark and Ottawa is a good trading partner here since we're desperate for goaltending and likely willing to offer more than other teams.

Trade #1

Ullmark, Peeke and a mid-round ( or another kicker to round things up)

for

Chychrun, Boston's 1st and Forsberg

Boston addresses their defense to balance things out. Late 1rst, Forsberg for cap dump, and we get a reliable RHD. Then buyout Korpisalo. Might be one of the only teams in the league willing to make a move like that for Ullmark and give up a valuable player in Chychrun. Forsberg had a bad season but is a hard worker and well-liked. Behind a real starter would be an optimal position for him and for Boston.

Trade #2

Kaliyev for Brannstrom.

Trade #3

Kelly and a late round pick for Tanev.

Kelly is younger and can play a similar role while being less injury prone. Saves money for Seattle to make moves and gives Ottawa more veteran leadership. Seattle can lock him up longer term at low AAV.

Hopefully sign Roy or another defensemen like Demelo/Tanev.

Either Soogard as backup or sign another short term stop-gap.

Tkachuk (8.2) - Pinto (4) - Batherson (4.97)
Greig (.87) - Stutzle (8.35) - Kaliyev (1)
Joseph (2.95) - Norris (7.95) - Giroux (6.5)
Crookshank (.8) - Kastelic (.8) - Tanev (3.5)

Sanderson (8) - Zub (4.6)
Chabot (8) - Demelo/Roy/Tanev (5)
Kleven (.9) - Peeke (2.75)

Ullmark (7)
Soogard (.8)

Move Joseph if necessary for cap space. Offer term to Ullmark and Roy/Demelo/Tanev to keep AAV reasonnable. With Tanev and Giroux coming off the books or likely getting lower AAV, this also offers us a bit of flexibility for next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and guyzeur

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I mean it absolutely is given the number of people who become very ill from melanoma. I can guarantee needing to go through a round of chemo drugs is worse for your body then just putting on some sunscreen if you’re going to be in the sun.

You could just believe suntan lotion is bad for you and wear long clothing like people have since eternity

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Ek heard we gonna trade Chychrun and Chabot , and make an offer to Ghost on first July

I hope the player Phily want he s gone before. I don’t want to lose the best d in the world

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ek heard we gonna trade Chychrun and Chabot , and make an offer to Ghost on first July

I hope the player Phily want he s gone before. I don’t want to lose the best d in the world
He couldn’t have made up a better player than Ghost for this wacky scenario?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I could see both Chabot and Chychrun going eventually. But those are two massive deals to get done in one offseason along with all the other business we have to do.

Chychrun this summer, Chabot next summer I could see though.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
So the rumours right now:

Ullmark willing to waive to go to Ottawa. Sens are pushing hard to acquire him.

Chychrun highly likely on the move. Boston, Nashville, Montreal, Detroit interested.

Kaliyev linked to Ottawa. Connection with management group.

Ottawa inquiring about Brandon Tanev. Trying to attract his brother?

Mathieu Joseph being shopped around.

Korpisalo potential buyout candidate.

With how open the management team has been with addressing the goaltending situation, especially lately, I would be very surprised if they didn't already have a deal in place for a goalie. There's a lot of smoke for Ullmark and Ottawa is a good trading partner here since we're desperate for goaltending and likely willing to offer more than other teams.

Trade #1

Ullmark, Peeke and a mid-round ( or another kicker to round things up)

for

Chychrun, Boston's 1st and Forsberg

Boston addresses their defense to balance things out. Late 1rst, Forsberg for cap dump, and we get a reliable RHD. Then buyout Korpisalo. Might be one of the only teams in the league willing to make a move like that for Ullmark and give up a valuable player in Chychrun. Forsberg had a bad season but is a hard worker and well-liked. Behind a real starter would be an optimal position for him and for Boston.

Trade #2

Kaliyev for Brannstrom.

Trade #3

Kelly and a late round pick for Tanev.

Kelly is younger and can play a similar role while being less injury prone. Saves money for Seattle to make moves and gives Ottawa more veteran leadership. Seattle can lock him up longer term at low AAV.

Hopefully sign Roy or another defensemen like Demelo/Tanev.

Either Soogard as backup or sign another short term stop-gap.

Tkachuk (8.2) - Pinto (4) - Batherson (4.97)
Greig (.87) - Stutzle (8.35) - Kaliyev (1)
Joseph (2.95) - Norris (7.95) - Giroux (6.5)
Crookshank (.8) - Kastelic (.8) - Tanev (3.5)

Sanderson (8) - Zub (4.6)
Chabot (8) - Demelo/Roy/Tanev (5)
Kleven (.9) - Peeke (2.75)

Ullmark (7)
Soogard (.8)

Move Joseph if necessary for cap space. Offer term to Ullmark and Roy/Demelo/Tanev to keep AAV reasonnable. With Tanev and Giroux coming off the books or likely getting lower AAV, this also offers us a bit of flexibility for next season.
Not a Senators fan, so maybe you can help me out, what are the Senator fans overall thoughts on Pinto ?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
So with everything we’ve heard so far the deal potentially looks like this?

Ott: Ullmark, Peake, Lauko

Bos: Chychrun, 25,

Not a Senators fan, so maybe you can help me out, what are the Senator fans overall thoughts on Pinto ?

We love him and see him as a perfect #2 C. Right now he’s not expendable with Norris always hurt. Unless Pintos contract demands are outrageous he’s not going anywhere.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Smart player, very effective two way play, and is only just starting to put together that he's also a big f***er.

I think most fans realize he's a key piece of what we are trying to build.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad