Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We’re going to let the memory of Korpisalo f*** us over in pursuit of someone else and it’s going to be glorious , without even taking into account how we’re going to get rid of Korpi

Our Sens are back babyyyyy
We’re buying him out

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
They’re trying to fix both this off-season.

Sogaard shouldn’t be relied upon to be a solution anytime soon. He’s been bad at the NHL level and he’s still very young. Actually, bringing in a guy like Ullmark who can serve as a mentor to Sogaard or Merilainen is probably what’s best for them, then you hope towards the end of his contract they’ve taken over.

I actually do think the Sens should push for him, but our pick is where I draw the line. They’ve got Chychrun (or assets they receive for him if Boston isn’t interested in him) and the 25th to work with. It feels doable.

I can stomach Ulmark for Chych. But that's it...nothing more from us.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I agree that cap hit percentage is a fair comparable to use with most contracts, but I also think that goalies tend to be a bit different in how contracts are usually approached than players. The ceiling and floor tends to be more pronounced with goalies.

The other point I would make is that all four of those goalies are easily a tier above Ullmark on paper. Ullmark has great career numbers, but he has only played more than 41 games once in his career. A poster brought up Grubauer as a goalie who had a similar career arc, and at a similar age signed a UFA extension for 7.24 percent of the salary cap.

I think that the overpayment is going to come more in terms than AAV. NMC, signing bonuses, maybe we go 7-8 years instead of 5-6. That sort of thing.

Good point about the games played.

Ge's also the same age as Hellebuyck and we'd be extending him a year later, so I think the term could be shorter (5-6 years) with the contract being 7M+.

I'm just thinking for him to waive the money and/or term will be higher than we'd like.

I can stomach Ulmark for Chych. But that's it...nothing more from us.

But Chychrun is a 2nd pairing D and Ullmark is an elite player at his position.

Not sure why he'd only go for what Chychrun is worth (late 1st or a 2nd+ in all likelihood).

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Good point about the games played.

Ge's also the same age as Hellebuyck and we'd be extending him a year later, so I think the term could be shorter (5-6 years) with the contract being 7M+.

I'm just thinking for him to waive the money and/or term will be higher than we'd like.

But Chychrun is a 2nd pairing D and Ullmark is an elite player at his position.

Not sure why he'd only go for what Chychrun is worth (late 1st or a 2nd+ in all likelihood).
Because for whatever reason, elite goalies don't have elite price tags.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Swayman is a borderline franchise goalie at this point, so I don't think it is relevant.

This year in the playoffs, Ullmark wasn't really given a chance to play. He had one bad game and Swayman didn't give up the net.

With that said, his NHL playoff numbers are not good, but they are also a very small sample size. His regular season numbers are all excellent, except he has never had to consistently play with a legitimate starter's workload.

So I can see how on paper, some people might be concerned. But on paper never tells the full story with goalies, and it's a position where you really need to know how to dissect and scout it - which I do not, and most people here likely do not either. (which isn't an insult, it's a very specific skill)

My concern with Ullmark is that he's never thrived as a #1. To be fair, he's never had the opportunity but he's excelled in a platoon with Swayman. What happens when he is a bonafide #1 playing more games and with more pressure? It could go either way.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I don't see this Boston and Philly stuff being connected. It seems like internet noise and speculation that's become jumbled together. If the Sens are building a trade to acquire Ullmark, which is an offseason-defining move, are they really going to have that trade be contingent on a certain player being available to Philly at seven?

Seems more likely that there are two separate transactions being discussed (among others, I'm sure), one with Boston for Ullmark which does not involve 7OA, and another around a 7OA for 12OA flip with Philly if the draft breaks in a certain way.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Seriously. Even if he comes fully signed I feel thats an overpay. There are some very good looking prospects available at 7 this year.
Talking potential here for #7 but would you trade stutzle for Ullmark? That’s the calibre of player we could be giving up.
Don’t think 7 is in play though. Surprised to see so many think it is.

Chychrun, Forsberg, 2nd is fair and makes them considerably better.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I bet the offer is along the lines of either a) 25+31 (acquired in trade down from 7 to 12) or b) 25+ similar asset, returned in a DMan trade

A lot to give but palatable imo

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
We are so far from goaltending being able to carry us to a semifinal. Make an elite team please, see what happened to the jets !

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I really can’t imagine we are discussing a trade with the 7th or a theoretical 12th oick, like others have said that makes very little sense.

The Sens have a piece they are certainly offering that lines up with what it’s usually costing a goalie in the 25th overall pick.

I have no clue why it seems media has bypassed the Bruins pick and gone straight for the Jugular with the Sens pick.

Bruins + + makes an absolute ton of sense. I’d hope Staios is holding firm there as it’s a very reasonable price along with whatever we have added.

Reactions: DrEasy and guyzeur

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I really can’t imagine we are discussing a trade with the 7th or a theoretical 12th oick, like others have said that makes very little sense.

The Sens have a piece they are certainly offering that lines up with what it’s usually costing a goalie in the 25th overall pick.

I have no clue why it seems media has bypassed the Bruins pick and gone straight for the Jugular with the Sens pick.

Bruins + + makes an absolute ton of sense. I’d hope Staios is holding firm there as it’s a very reasonable price along with whatever we have added.

I'm down for Bruins +, but not Bruins + Chychrun. GTFO with that bullshit (At that price, they're taking Korpi).

I also agree with the bolded completely.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Maybe the media thinks Dorion is still at the helm. Or they think that little of Staios.

Who knows anymore.....it's been pure insanity in trade talks these days.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Most members of the hockey media are just not that smart.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is what some Ottawa fans see when they think of Laughton

View attachment 885009
Stats .. Look at forward stats for those that played over 75 games and had between 35 and 40 pts...
Anybody interest you on that list. I see many that would interest me. Now you can start to expand the criteria and look at pts/60 or even strength points .. line mates , ozone starts, pk related stats etc.,, Straight up points doesn't tell me much about what would typically be 3rd liners.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Laraque in a podcast seemed to think Boston is waiting after the last Cup finals game for Leon to announced if hes going to stay in EDM or not to make any decisions
They want him badly supposedly and it could affect everything else

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
For anybody who doubts there would be a market for Forsberg on an expiring contract, look at what Nedeljkovic just signed for, 2.5M x 2Y.

His numbers over the last few years are similar to Forsberg's, except Forsberg has the advantage of not having term.

Someone will take Forsberg simply to get a goalie to bridge them through this season without having to commit 2-3 years to a marginal NHL veteran like Pittsburgh had to do to keep Nedeljkovic.
The caps might need a goalie since they traded Keumper, hoping they bite on Forsberg, even if its for a 7th

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
There’s been talk of Chicago wanting Chychrun.

If 25 is too low of a pick, and 7/12 is too high (at least imo), maybe they can flip Chychrun for #18 and send that to Boston.
They've got the capspace to give him whatever contract he wants. Hope we can get some good draft capital from them. The 18th overall, one of their numerous 2nds hopefully. If they want to send salary back, wouldn't say no to Connor Murphy, or Ryan Donato.

Reactions: Alex1234

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Does Ullmark getting outplayed by Swayman not scare anyone else?

This potential deal terrifies me.. His age, his contract status, his play in the playoffs. These are all massive flags that make me hesitant he's the guy. Coming from a great defensive team to a team where he is gonna face a vastly greater amount of shots.. Committing major assets and money to this guy is terrifying.

I'd walk myself, especially at the reported price. But this is why I am not the GM
30 is not old for a goalie. Ullmark put up consistently good numbers on some terrible Sabres teams, though to be fair he was never the clear cut #1 there.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I can live with Korpisalo as backup for a few years. Most veteran backups make $2 mil. Korp makes $4 mil. If we buyout Korp, we're paying average $1.3 mil for him. Add in a replacement backup at $2 mil, you have $3.3 mil, close enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad