Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Does Ullmark getting outplayed by Swayman not scare anyone else?

This potential deal terrifies me.. His age, his contract status, his play in the playoffs. These are all massive flags that make me hesitant he's the guy. Coming from a great defensive team to a team where he is gonna face a vastly greater amount of shots.. Committing major assets and money to this guy is terrifying.

I'd walk myself, especially at the reported price. But this is why I am not the GM
There are concerns for sure but…..what can you do he’s a pretty damn good option.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

This potential deal terrifies me.. His age, his contract status, his play in the playoffs. These are all massive flags that make me hesitant he's the guy. Coming from a great defensive team to a team where he is gonna face a vastly greater amount of shots.. Committing major assets and money to this guy is terrifying.

I'd walk myself, especially at the reported price. But this is why I am not the GM
Goaltending is the most important position in the game. A stellar tennie makes us instantly better and at least competitive for next season. Doing nothing just sets the team up for failure.

Just dont make the trade unless he's locked up to an extension. Because he's going to come here and see his numbers decline behind our system.

He won't re-sign and it's 100% predictable.

Reactions: NB613

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Not really, Swayman is elite himself.

Always a risk with goalies but he’s probably as safe an acquisition as you will find.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Swayman has developed into one of the best goalies in the league, so that's not exactly fair.

Also their numbers this year were almost identical, which is why the split the next almost 50/50.

The big extension is a major risk. He's probably going to demand a Hellebuyck-type contract to sign here.

That's why Staios shouldn't pay too much in assets. Stick to the 25th OVR+ and don't even consider 7th OVR or even 12th OVR should we trade down.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Swayman is a borderline franchise goalie at this point, so I don't think it is relevant.

This year in the playoffs, Ullmark wasn't really given a chance to play. He had one bad game and Swayman didn't give up the net.

With that said, his NHL playoff numbers are not good, but they are also a very small sample size. His regular season numbers are all excellent, except he has never had to consistently play with a legitimate starter's workload.

So I can see how on paper, some people might be concerned. But on paper never tells the full story with goalies, and it's a position where you really need to know how to dissect and scout it - which I do not, and most people here likely do not either. (which isn't an insult, it's a very specific skill)

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Hopefully I am wrong.. This just screams like a deal we are gonna regret in a few years, if not this year.. (I am assuming any trade comes with an extension)

God knows we need a solid goalie.. I hope, if Ullmark is the guy, he can live up to it.

Reactions: NB613

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Swayman has developed into one of the best goalies in the league, so that's not exactly fair.

Also their numbers this year were almost identical, which is why the split the next almost 50/50.

The big extension is a major risk. He's probably going to demand a Hellebuyck-type contract to sign here.

That's why Staios shouldn't pay too much in assets. Stick to the 25th OVR+ and don't even consider 7th OVR or even 12th OVR should we trade down.

I think 6.5 as a ceiling gets it done.

There aren't many goalies making 8M+. The writing is on the wall in Boston. Additionally, he plays the most volatile position in the sport. If Ottawa is ready to give him 6.5M x 6 to 8 years with a NMC, front-loaded money, and signing bonuses - it would be very risky to turn that down and either stay in Boston (where he won't be #1), or play out the season somewhere else behind a new system.

Of course, I am assuming we can offer him a competitive contract term wise. If we're still in the same boat that we were with Melnyk, and we cannot do thinks like signing bonuses or front-loaded money, then it's going to take a higher AAV to offset that.

6.5M would make him the 5th highest paid active goalie in the league. He would be ahead of everybody except for Bobrosvky, Sorokin, Vasileskiy, and Hellebucyk. Those are all guys who were perceived as franchise level goalies when they signed.

Then you add in that not only would he be above all but 4 goalies, a chunk of the other goalies near him wouldn't have the kind of terms that I am suggesting (signing bonuses, NMC, etc).

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
In Geekie’s defence, he’s probably the actual player people think Laughton is.
This is what some Ottawa fans see when they think of Laughton

image (2).png

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think most people were not expecting an elite level goalie like Ullmark to be a possibility.

Trading for him is the equivalent of adding a 2nd pairing RD and signing a lesser goalie like Stolarz/Brossoit, which was about as good an outcome as could have been expected in free agency.

Don't have to dump Korpisalo, can just buy him out at that point. It hurts long-term but opens up some space to make a few extra additions.

No one should be in favour of going all-in this offseason by trading the 7th OVR pick. If they move down to 12th and pick up an extra 1st and then trade it for current help, that's fine, but we still need to add a high-end prospect to our system after years of neglecting the prospect pool.

I think it is possible that they do not want to have dead money on the books for 8 seasons.

Long-term cap flexibility also has to be considered if we're going to pay Ullmark big money.

To me, the Korpisalo contract seems like something that would complicate the trade because it adds a massive cost on top of what we have to pay. Either in terms of long-term dead cap, or paying assets to dump him.

This is what some Ottawa fans see when they think of Laughton

View attachment 885009

Why are you trying to make him look bad by editing his numbers so that they are less than what they actually are?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Anyway, there seems to be way too much smoke for this not to be a done deal at some point. Just accept it and hope the return isn’t as bad as we’re preparing for.

Reactions: PlayOn

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think 6.5 as a ceiling gets it done.

There aren't many goalies making 8M+. The writing is on the wall in Boston. Additionally, he plays the most volatile position in the sport. If Ottawa is ready to give him 6.5M x 6 to 8 years with a NMC, front-loaded money, and signing bonuses - it would be very risky to turn that down and either stay in Boston (where he won't be #1), or play out the season somewhere else behind a new system.

Of course, I am assuming we can offer him a competitive contract term wise. If we're still in the same boat that we were with Melnyk, and we cannot do thinks like signing bonuses or front-loaded money, then it's going to take a higher AAV to offset that.

6.5M would make him the 5th highest paid active goalie in the league. He would be ahead of everybody except for Bobrosvky, Sorokin, Vasileskiy, and Hellebucyk. Those are all guys who were perceived as franchise level goalies when they signed.

Then you add in that not only would he be above all but 4 goalies, a chunk of the other goalies near him wouldn't have the kind of terms that I am suggesting (signing bonuses, NMC, etc).

You're being optimistic.

Bobrovsky, Sorokin, Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck all have lower career save percentages than Ullmark. You're right they are perceived as franchise level goalies, but I'm not sure why Ullmark wouldn't be. He's one year removed from a .938 SV% Vezina winning season and put up .915 this past season.

Bobrovsky signed for 12.27% of the cap
Hellebuyck signed for 10.18% of the cap
Vasilevskiy (as an RFA) signed for 11.66% of the cap
Sorokin (as an RFA) signed for 9.88% of the cap

6.5M would be 7.38% of the 24/25 cap, significantly lower than all the other guys.

Reactions: bicboi64

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
You're being optimistic.

Bobrovsky, Sorokin, Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck all have lower career save percentages than Ullmark. You're right they are perceived as franchise level goalies, but I'm not sure why Ullmark wouldn't be. He's one year removed from a .938 SV% Vezina winning season and put up .915 this past season.

Bobrovsky signed for 12.27% of the cap
Hellebuyck signed for 10.18% of the cap
Vasilevskiy (as an RFA) signed for 11.66% of the cap
Sorokin (as an RFA) signed for 9.88% of the cap

6.5M would be 7.38% of the 24/25 cap, significantly lower than all the other guys.

I agree that cap hit percentage is a fair comparable to use with most contracts, but I also think that goalies tend to be a bit different in how contracts are usually approached than players. The ceiling and floor tends to be more pronounced with goalies.

The other point I would make is that all four of those goalies are easily a tier above Ullmark on paper. Ullmark has great career numbers, but he has only played more than 41 games once in his career. A poster brought up Grubauer as a goalie who had a similar career arc, and at a similar age signed a UFA extension for 7.24 percent of the salary cap.

I think that the overpayment is going to come more in terms than AAV. NMC, signing bonuses, maybe we go 7-8 years instead of 5-6. That sort of thing.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
And what happens when they do fix the defense but have done nothing to fix the goaltending? It won't matter if the defense starts to play better when Korpisalo is letting in softies all the time. Let's not pretend that Korpisalo was just bad this year because of defensive breakdowns in front of him. He consistently let in terrible goals that an above average NHL goalie would've stopped.

Once the defense is fixed, then you can look at bringing in a better netminder.

Hell, by that time, Forsberg might actually look like a decent option. Or Sogaard might be the solution by then.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Swayman is a borderline franchise goalie at this point, so I don't think it is relevant.

This year in the playoffs, Ullmark wasn't really given a chance to play. He had one bad game and Swayman didn't give up the net.

With that said, his NHL playoff numbers are not good, but they are also a very small sample size. His regular season numbers are all excellent, except he has never had to consistently play with a legitimate starter's workload.

So I can see how on paper, some people might be concerned. But on paper never tells the full story with goalies, and it's a position where you really need to know how to dissect and scout it - which I do not, and most people here likely do not either. (which isn't an insult, it's a very specific skill)
Ullmark had a .912% in his one game. I wouldn't call that a bad game

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Once the defense is fixed, then you can look at bringing in a better netminder.

Hell, by that time, Forsberg might actually look like a decent option. Or Sogaard might be the solution by then.
They’re trying to fix both this off-season.

Sogaard shouldn’t be relied upon to be a solution anytime soon. He’s been bad at the NHL level and he’s still very young. Actually, bringing in a guy like Ullmark who can serve as a mentor to Sogaard or Merilainen is probably what’s best for them, then you hope towards the end of his contract they’ve taken over.

I actually do think the Sens should push for him, but our pick is where I draw the line. They’ve got Chychrun (or assets they receive for him if Boston isn’t interested in him) and the 25th to work with. It feels doable.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Why are we quoting Simmer? I don't mind the guy, but he talks out of his ass a lot. I'd wager a lot of money he doesn't have any idea at all what Ottawa is doing regarding trades.
Remember when Karlsson got traded to Tampa?

Seriously though he might have better inside intel now because of Poulin.

Reactions: BigRig4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad