Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If the Bruins are okay with the 25th overall going to them for Ullmark, I wonder what salary they'd take back as well because we need to send something in too. If they want Chychrun, I hope they can shed Forsberg or convince Hamonic to waive.

Also, looks like LA isn't extending Arvidsson. Wonder if we could get him on a cheap one year deal. He can establish himself as an injury free winger that can get back to 25-30g form, and we can strengthen our middle 6.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
All I can say is I'm looking forward to the first big move by Staois, just to get a glimpse into how they are evaluating things here and what the "plan" is.

I honestly don't see any good choices. They need to win now, restock the prospect pool, add depth/quality with fee assets or cap space. I just don't

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
not sure if this has been posted yet,

Doesn't really add anything to what we already know, but...

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I can live with Korpisalo as backup for a few years. Most veteran backups make $2 mil. Korp makes $4 mil. If we buyout Korp, we're paying average $1.3 mil for him. Add in a replacement backup at $2 mil, you have $3.3 mil, close enough.
If he has a decent season as a 1B he’s probably tradable. Would need to take cap back, but could probably get an overpaid 5/6D or bottom 6 fwd something

If the Bruins are okay with the 25th overall going to them for Ullmark, I wonder what salary they'd take back as well because we need to send something in too. If they want Chychrun, I hope they can shed Forsberg or convince Hamonic to waive.

Also, looks like LA isn't extending Arvidsson. Wonder if we could get him on a cheap one year deal. He can establish himself as an injury free winger that can get back to 25-30g form, and we can strengthen our middle 6.
He is eligible for performance bonuses, too.

Here is the rule:
  1. The player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).

• Wow
Reactions: bicboi64

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Hopefully I am wrong.. This just screams like a deal we are gonna regret in a few years, if not this year.. (I am assuming any trade comes with an extension)

God knows we need a solid goalie.. I hope, if Ullmark is the guy, he can live up to it.

Most members of the hockey media are just not that smart.
Gratuitous insults? Should they present a blank page or write the same stuff from the day before when there's nothing new? Think about it.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I can stomach Ulmark for Chych. But that's it...nothing more from us.

We need to leverage one of our main trading chips to fill one of our main needs. In terms of what has value and what we are willing to give up, it seems to boil down to just Chychrun and the 25th. Chychrun is more than just a cap dump.

From Boston’s perspective, its kind of the same thing. They likely have a limited number of assets they can leverage to fill a need. It seems like Boston needs forwards and particularly centers the most.

The trade scenario between these 2 teams is kind of an odd match. And, there’s more than one team that needs a decent, starting goaltender.

All this to say I’m wondering how or if this will work out.

Reactions: bicboi64

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I can live with Korpisalo as backup for a few years. Most veteran backups make $2 mil. Korp makes $4 mil. If we buyout Korp, we're paying average $1.3 mil for him. Add in a replacement backup at $2 mil, you have $3.3 mil, close enough.

If we can get off Forsberg's contract, I'd absolutely do that before buying out Korpisalo or paying a significant cost to trade him.

Forsberg was atrocious last season and I'm not betting on him returning to form as a capable backup.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If we can get off Forsberg's contract, I'd absolutely do that before buying out Korpisalo or paying a significant cost to trade him.

Forsberg was atrocious last season and I'm not betting on him returning to form as a capable backup.
He had a better record than korpisalo. Had some great games. 2 shutouts. Was not atrocious.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
not sure if this has been posted yet,

Doesn't really add anything to what we already know, but...

Totally speculating, but maybe Philly wants to pair another Russian (Demidov/Silayev) to help the Michkov transition, and that's why it's contingent on who's there at 7.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I really can’t imagine we are discussing a trade with the 7th or a theoretical 12th oick, like others have said that makes very little sense.

The Sens have a piece they are certainly offering that lines up with what it’s usually costing a goalie in the 25th overall pick.

I have no clue why it seems media has bypassed the Bruins pick and gone straight for the Jugular with the Sens pick.

Bruins + + makes an absolute ton of sense. I’d hope Staios is holding firm there as it’s a very reasonable price along with whatever we have added.

The speculation around New Jersey was also always about the 10th pick for a goalie. Some were even saying 10th + Holtz!

But as it turns out, they were able to acquire Markstrom with significant retention and it didn't cost them the 10th pick, or a premier prospect/player.

I expect the same thing to happen here, if we land Ullmark.

Bruins have other teams interested in Linus, If they don't get the ask from Ottawa he will be shipped out of the division if at all. Plain and simple.

This Simpson guy is out to lunch

Where out of the division? New Jersey just got their goalie so there's no team in the metro that really needs him.

And reportedly, Ullmark already nixed a trade to Colorado because he doesn't want to play out West, and that's why LA moved on as well.

So it seems like you have Ottawa and maybe Toronto, another in-division team, but one that's unlikely to offer as good a package and is a much bigger threat to the Bruins.

It's looking like it's either Ullmark to Ottawa or Ullmark stays in Boston.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
3.21 GAA and .890 save percentage over 30 games as a backup is atrocious. A few good games doesn't mean much when you can't rely on him.
To be fair, he was coming off of two knee injuries from the year prior. Not sure if that played a part but it could have. Forsberg has typically been okay for us.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
To be fair, he was coming off of two knee injuries from the year prior. Not sure if that played a part but it could have. Forsberg has typically been okay for us.

The knee injuries only add to my concerns with Forsberg. He wouldn't be the first guy to get injured and never regain his form. Whether you have to trade, buyout or stick him in the AHL, I don't think you can trust him on your roster to start next season.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They were equally awful imo. .890 save % for both of them and we saw a lot of questionable team killer goals let in by both.

I think Korpisalo played more to try to assess if he can be of any use in the future + availability. Judging by how aggressive SS is so far for Ulmark, I think they didn't like what they saw even if there was a slight uptick in performance to close the year.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Gratuitous insults? Should they present a blank page or write the same stuff from the day before when there's nothing new? Think about it.
Why is it gratuitous?

I've been following sports closely since 1979, and in my younger days would pay close attention to various reporters speculation and/or predictions. Somewhere later in life my interests diversified and I started paying attention to real journalists and analysts... the difference is intellect is astounding.

Ever wonder why Bob Mckenzie was so respected? It's not like the guy was Stephen Hawking developing new models for Black Hole radiation.... he was just a rational, common sense guy who didn't suggest ridiculous things. Which set him apart.

I understand that they have to fill space.

But the following sentences fill roughly the same space:

"It could be the Sens will have to part with the 7th overall to land Ullmark, and that'll be a steep price. But if he leads them to a deep playoff run next year, it'll be worth it."

vs

"History shows us that the market to land a good goalie in the offseason is typically closer to the 25th pick than the 7th. There's a lot of pressure on Steve Staios to shore up the goaltending position, but the long term value of that 7th pick to the organization outweighs that short term issue."

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
They were equally awful imo. .890 save % for both of them and we saw a lot of questionable team killer goals let in by both.

I think Korpisalo played more to try to assess if he can be of any use in the future + availability. Judging by how aggressive SS is so far for Ulmark, I think they didn't like what they saw even if there was a slight uptick in performance to close the year.

Korpisalo failed in his role as a starter. Forsberg failed in his role as a backup. Contracts aside, I would take Korpisalo as my backup over Forsberg.

The question becomes, what is it going to cost to get rid of Korpisalo (probably a lot), and would you be better off moving Forsberg at a lesser cost. It would probably mean better play from your backup (Korpisalo), but your crease would be $1.25M more expensive.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Korpisalo failed in his role as a starter. Forsberg failed in his role as a backup. Contracts aside, I would take Korpisalo as my backup over Forsberg.

The question becomes, what is it going to cost to get rid of Korpisalo (probably a lot), and would you be better off moving Forsberg at a lesser cost. It would probably mean better play from your backup (Korpisalo), but your crease would be $1.25M more expensive.
That's fair. I'm honestly split on who's better of the 2, so makes no difference to me other than how it all works out financially. Forsberg has the slightly better career numbers too with less of the extreme yo-yo Korpisalo has been, but he also hasn't played as much.

This isn't at you, but just saw it on TSN. Interesting to see Waddell with the quote below about Merzlikens. He actually appears to have had a better season than Korpisalo last year and other than the year prior, he has been more consistent over the last 5 years. He gets paid more annually, but has one less year and is basically owed the same 16m. I'd do a straight swap as a last resort if they were willing.

“Let’s be honest, nobody is going to trade for that contract. Nobody,” Waddell told Aaron Portzline of The Athletic(opens in a new tab). “People say, ‘Well, why don’t you buy out the contract?’ It’s a six-year buyout, and there are years three, four, five and six when you might need that cap space. So you’ve eliminated those two options.”

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I love the discussion and debate over Korpisalo and Forsberg. We're comparing two goalies who utterly shat the bed in every opportunity they were given. Like damn, they could've even be average.
Yea the type of goals they commonly let in were back breaking gotta save type of goals. They were both awful.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
That's fair. I'm honestly split on who's better of the 2, so makes no difference to me other than how it all works out financially. Forsberg has the slightly better career numbers too with less of the extreme yo-yo Korpisalo has been, but he also hasn't played as much.

This isn't at you, but just saw it on TSN. Interesting to see Waddell with the quote below about Merzlikens. He actually appears to have had a better season than Korpisalo last year and other than the year prior, he has been more consistent over the last 5 years. He gets paid more annually, but has one less year and is basically owed the same 16m. I'd do a straight swap as a last resort if they were willing.

“Let’s be honest, nobody is going to trade for that contract. Nobody,” Waddell told Aaron Portzline of The Athletic(opens in a new tab). “People say, ‘Well, why don’t you buy out the contract?’ It’s a six-year buyout, and there are years three, four, five and six when you might need that cap space. So you’ve eliminated those two options.”

Good window into how a team might look at buying out Korpisalo. If you can kick the decision on him down the road by a season, with the added possibility that he regains his form, I think that's preferable to paying a huge cost to dump him.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Good window into how a team might look at buying out Korpisalo. If you can kick the decision on him down the road by a season, with the added possibility that he regains his form, I think that's preferable to paying a huge cost to dump him.
That could turn out to be the play out of necessity. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's still bought out this year if they have to to make an acquisition work.

I think the ceiling on Korpisalo is about a .900 guy as is around his career average, but his career numbers have been extremely erratic year to year, with his tender peer always ~.020 points higher behind the same team, so I'm not sure what returning to form looks like for him. Low ceiling either way, but I guess we hope for another of his 3 in 9 outliers and maybe someone bites next summer with retention and a not too costly sweetener.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
That could turn out to be the play out of necessity. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's still bought out this year if they have to to make an acquisition work.

I think the ceiling on Korpisalo is about a .900 guy as is around his career average, but his career numbers have been extremely erratic year to year, so I'm not sure what returning to form looks like for him. I guess we hope for another of his 3 in 9 outliers and maybe someone bites next summer with retention and a not too costly sweetener.

I think a realistic, good case scenario is that he plays better in a backup/1B role (i.e. above his career averages over ~35 games) and by next offseason he's a 3x$4M contract that you can move either with a bit of retention and/or with a useful contract coming back.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think a realistic, good case scenario is that he plays better in a backup/1B role (i.e. above his career averages over ~35 games) and by next offseason he's a 3x$4M contract that you can move either with a bit of retention or with a useful player coming back.
I like your optimism. Too lofty for me with what we saw and looking at his career numbers. If we can just get to the point where we're retaining 50% and giving him for free at 3x$2m, or getting an overpaid but still useful skater in return to compensate, that would be amazing.

I sure hope we don't see him playing ~35 games either way. This season is too important and I'd like to see him as the clear backup if he's kept, maybe getting in ~25 games.

Either way, I hope a creative solution to dump him this offseason exists. There's no upside there that we need to worry about losing even at his best imo, and he's a sunk cost. Jack Campbell 2.0.

Oct 10, 2010
Having Korpisalo on the roster even as a back up is silly it’s not about saving $ with a buyout it’s about having a terrible goalie off our roster when we have to make the playoffs next year it really is that simple.

Buying him out isn’t even that bad when the cap is expected to raise down the road.

Staios can’t afford to have patience with regards to Korpisalo and if he does we aren’t a serious team trying to win.

Reactions: gab6511

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I know the immediate reaction is to freak out about giving up #7/#12 for Ullmark but none of the speculation is saying that's all Ottawa would be getting back. If Staois can use a high pick to fill 2 or 3 roster holes (including the biggest one in nets) while also adding more picks later in the draft I don't see that as an automatic loss.

People around here talking about #25+ should be enough aren't taking into consideration that there are still a couple teams left looking to add a goalie. Our favourite team the Red Wings have pick #15 and I wouldn't be shocked at all if they put that on the block for Ullmark.

Obviously I want Staois to stick to his guns, but the difference between Ullmark and Stolarz/Broissoit is significant and is also probably the difference between this team fighting for a playoff spot next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad