Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Some team will def pay a premium for Laughton. And I think they will quickly be upset about it.

I think chychrun is worth more than a late first personally. I think there’s a better deal to be had than Laughton.

The thing is no one is trading a bad contract on a. Skater for a bad contract on a bad goalie. Having a big contract attached to an atrocious goalie is the absolute worst thing that can happen to you cap wise

We just saw a very similar situation with Cal Petersen being used as a moving part in a trade.

I'm not talking about someone actually wanting Korpisalo for hockey purposes. I am talking about him being used as a proxy for retention. I wasn't clear enough I suppose.

Something like we want a player who has a 10M AAV for the next 3 seasons, but he is really worth 5 or 6, so the other team takes Korpisalo instead of burning a retention spot.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It’s not about stats and styles. The org wants to bring in “good pros”.
We have heard that before and seen what our GM has obtained. I hope Staios is smarter than the previous GM.

We need to add a top 4 RD (might have to trade Chabot or Chychrun to get one), a Goaltender (if we can dump Forsberg or Korpisalo at little to no cost in assets or cap dollars), and a top 6 forward (to replace Tarasenko (might be Pinto) or Norris who could be injury prone and LTIR bound).

We could use additional toughness (players who play BIG) if we want to play "playoff hockey" (i.e., get into the playoffs and win a round or two).

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Both Seravalli and Garrioch stated they thought Chabot's contract would prevent the Senators from getting a return on him without holding back money. I am paraphrasing.

Negative value doesn't mean he is Korpisalo. Only that at his full hit and term, he would be difficult to trade and get any real return.
My search didn’t reveal that, but thanks for sharing. After reading about half a dozen articles, one of the other things I noticed is that some of the more reliable so-called insiders figured that the Senators were not going to move Chabot. Both Friedman & Dreger said this.

Chabots salary & cap hit will make it more difficult to move him, but I would think there would be sufficient interest and motivation that a deal would get done ultimately if in fact they really want to move him.

Although this is a mostly unrelated point, I’m really not sure what Garrioch knows these days. I don’t think Staois and company say much or have loose lips. I’d also put Seravalli a little lower than say Friedmann on the insider scale, but I wouldn’t argue strenuously over this subject as its too subjective and not based enough on solid info.

Reactions: Loach

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
So SJ need to spend 15M to reach the cap floor - I’m praying Staios convinces them to take Korpisalo lol
NHL teams are not charitable organizations. Any team including SJ is going to want something substantial to take on Korpisalo. What that is exactly is the debate & a necessary part of the conversation. Most contracts are moveable though I suppose based on history.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Exciting Stanley cup final, but I can’t wait for it to finish up so the offseason can get underway.

Draft will be huge, hopefully they can get a trade done for Chychrun so that bit of business is taken care of.

Possibly ship Joseph out, maybe Forsberg as well.

Need to get Pinto signed, but not too much else pressing for re-signings.

Hopefully they can add a RD in free agency, as well as a solid 3rd line type with some physicality and PK ability.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
NHL teams are not charitable organizations. Any team including SJ is going to want something substantial to take on Korpisalo. What that is exactly is the debate & a necessary part of the conversation. Most contracts are moveable though I suppose based on history.
Hopefully it would be what we got for Tarasenko. :)

However, I might make it two 3rd round picks.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We have heard that before and seen what our GM has obtained. I hope Staios is smarter than the previous GM.

We need to add a top 4 RD (might have to trade Chabot or Chychrun to get one), a Goaltender (if we can dump Forsberg or Korpisalo at little to no cost in assets or cap dollars), and a top 6 forward (to replace Tarasenko (might be Pinto) or Norris who could be injury prone and LTIR bound).

We could use additional toughness (players who play BIG) if we want to play "playoff hockey" (i.e., get into the playoffs and win a round or two).
This isn’t Dorion. We will get a RD and a vet forward to play in our top 9. Upgrading the goaltending will be tough but doable.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Good to see Staois has his eyes on upgrading in goal.
Bonus points if he's able to get our starter by flipping Korpisalo in a package.
#7 will be drafted but the other two picks and Chychrun are ammunition.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I'm not discounting the possibility of a Korpisalo buyout. Feeling more likely, especially with Friedman reporting that the Sens are in on every goalie conversation.

Finding a way to not have this guy start half your games is probably the single biggest needle mover available to Staios this summer. If this is as big a season as we've been led to believe for the current core, then you can't have this guy sabotaging it.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm pretty confident if anyone is getting bought out it's Forsberg but I guess we'll see what happens.

Matt Murray is available :naughty:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
How much do you think Laughton is worth in a trade?

I think as a well rounded player that can get you 40 pts from the third line, kill penalties, play on your PPs 2nd unit in a pinch, and is physical on a pretty team friendly contract for two more years, he can probably get you a late 1st or very early 2nd.

So, Chychrun and Joseph for essentially two late firsts value wise. I think that's a reasonable return, maybe we could do better, but I think we could certainly do worse

hes probably closer to a 30 point guy playing behind pinto and stuztle

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The thing is no one is trading a bad contract on a. Skater for a bad contract on a bad goalie. Having a big contract attached to an atrocious goalie is the absolute worst thing that can happen to you cap wise
They need another miracle (or near miracle) trade like they got when they moved Murray. The Murray situation looked pretty dark at the time.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There was a rumor last year that they turned down two first round picks for Laughton.

If that is true, I would assume it was one of the teams like St.Louis or Colorado that had two late first round picks. Laughton was coming off of a strong season, and part of his value would have been that his cap hit was lower than what an equivalent C would cost.

With the cap going up and Laughton regressing to his norm, I can't see him being worth as much as last year.

Was a massive mistake by Briere to not sell high on Laughton when teams were offering ridiculous overpayments for him.

Same goes for trying to bend the Sens over asking for a 1st to "take on" Joseph's completely reasonable contract.

If Laughton is traded now I suspect it'd be in a player-for-player swap so Briere can save face.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It is. You are trading Chyrchun for a 30-31st pick and getting a center version of Joseph.

This doesn't make us better and its a waste of trading Chychrun
You have to take into account what Staios wants.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm not discounting the possibility of a Korpisalo buyout. Feeling more likely, especially with Friedman reporting that the Sens are in on every goalie conversation.

Finding a way to not have this guy start half your games is probably the single biggest needle mover available to Staios this summer. If this is as big a season as we've been led to believe for the current core, then you can't have this guy sabotaging it.

I think the more likely buyout would be Forsberg.

Would only be 2 years of dead money instead of 8 years.

I'd rather make Korpisalo the backup/1B and pray he turns it around and then can be dumped on some other team desperate for a goalie at a lesser cost.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
They need another miracle (or near miracle) trade like they got when they moved Murray. The Murray situation looked pretty dark at the time.

Iginla being available at 7, and Calgary feeling the need to get him for marketing reasons might be that miracle depending on how our own internal list works out.

Something around 7+Korpisalo for 9+Markstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad