Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Just sign one of Zucker, Dickenson, Kapanen, Boyd, Blueger, Carrier, Noesen, Heinen, Mcleod, Joshua, C. Smith, Martinhook to a deal during UFA. Lots of good 26-32 year old 3rd liners available every UFA period

Seriously. We should not be spending meaningful assets to acquire these types of players at the deadline. It's the most expensive time to do it and we aren't a playoff team. Staois talks about process - how about we start by firing the entire pro scouting department and building that up. Then, in the summer, go shopping.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If we could get Jenner for the Boston 1st and two B/C type prospects or picks, that would be a solid target. He has term, so there is always the option to recoup an asset for him down the road.

We are low on assets, but that's the situation we're in.

They would have to take back Kubalik and Brannstrom to make the deal cap compliant. Brannstrom and Kubalik is 2 players out at 4.5M. Jenner and Pinto on his QO is roughly the same.

I doubt Columbus would still be in on Chychrun after acquiring multiple other defenders since then. I would imagine that Chychrun is worth a lot more than Jenner.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We don't need to trade or sign anyone we just need to fire Dorion and DJ. They alone are the problem.
I don't think anyone reasonable believe this...

Dorion was a disaster, it is silly to think a walking disaster's output is any good.

The rebuild was very poorly carried out. Good players, bad team. Dorion assembled a team that would be good in Chel.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Seriously. We should not be spending meaningful assets to acquire these types of players at the deadline. It's the most expensive time to do it and we aren't a playoff team. Staois talks about process - how about we start by firing the entire pro scouting department and building that up. Then, in the summer, go shopping.
I had posted this earlier in this thread . The kind of player the Sens are looking for even from a team outside the playoffs those teams don't want to give up.
UFA is the place to get these guys which I think is what Bondra was alluding to.
Pesce would be target #1 as an RD UFA for me. I would move Chychrun , if we can get a good 2way winger back along with a 1st + I would look for that.

Dumba RD UFA could be an alternative at a lower price tag and shorter term. Not big but he plays hard and still has better mobility than JBD/Hamonic

Other RD UFA options
Brandon Montour, Matt Roy, Justin Schultz, Demelo

Think bottom 6 depth, size grit some speed and ability
UFA LW options that I would give a hard look at
Jake Debrusk
Warren Foegele
Jordan Martinook
William Carrier
Sammy Blais
Girgensons
Nosek

UFA RW options to look at
Brandon Duhaime
Hudson Fasching
Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Alexander Barabanov

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Now that Philly has another RD I would like to peek at Sean Walker. He's a steady reliable RD. Maybe it could be part of a bigger trade. How crazy bad would Frost + Walker for Branny + Kubalik be? I am never good at figuring out value. Walker and Kubalik are same salary and expiring deals. Branny is a good young player that is redundant here and Frost is a young player that doesn't seem to fit in Philly (keeps getting scratched).

Not a massive deal for either team but might add pieces to each team that fits needs.

I like Walker but ideally we get someone with size.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You would need to incentivize CLB. I don’t think a late 1st + Ostapchuk + 2 cap dumps is much of an overpay. This team needs to spend the rest of the seasons learning to play and Jenner would help that process.
It's one thing for a lottery team to trade assets to bring in young high end talent, but we are in no place to be incentivizing CLB to trade us a 31 yr old guy who at best will be our 3rd line center or 2nd line LW. If needs be we can seek someone out in UFA, like Foligno, Noesen, Okposo, or Henrique. Not as good, but you keep the assets and still get a guy that can fill a role while providing that vet experience.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's one thing for a lottery team to trade assets to bring in young high end talent, but we are in no place to be incentivizing CLB to trade us a 31 yr old guy who at best will be our 3rd line center or 2nd line LW. If needs be we can seek someone out in UFA, like Foligno, Noesen, Okposo, or Henrique. Not as good, but you keep the assets and still get a guy that can fill a role while providing that vet experience.
The problem is getting quality veterans.

Getting a mediocre veteran should not be good enough for us where we find ourselves now. Been there, done that.

The clock is ticking and we are not an attractive option for UFAs. We may have to bite the bullet and make a trade to ensure we get someone good who is going to stick around.

No more Oduyas please.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Exactly. This is where Dorion got fleeced over the years. A lot of the problems he created could have been avoided by simply holding on to assets and trading for GOOD players or simply signing aging vets in FA.

Reactions: Dionysus

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I don't think anyone reasonable believe this...

Dorion was a disaster, it is silly to think a walking disaster's output is any good.

The rebuild was very poorly carried out. Good players, bad team. Dorion assembled a team that would be good in Chel.

good players who play bad because they are entitled spoiled children.

sure maybe dorion has a hand in their mental makeup. but absolving the players of blame doesn't make sense.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
How far away is Ostapchuk? Is it possible that he'll get a few games in towards the end of the year to get his feet wet, or is he further off?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Getting a mediocre veteran should not be good enough for us where we find ourselves now. Been there, done that.

The clock is ticking and we are not an attractive option for UFAs. We may have to bite the bullet and make a trade to ensure we get someone good who is going to stick around.

No more Oduyas please.
Speaking of vet defenders we acquired, Gonchar turned out OK for us. Can't always paint with a wide brush & the devil is in the details.

Cup of coffee at the end of the season, back to Belleville to start next year
That's kind of what I thought. Hoping he's ready for the 2025-26 season then I suppose.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

No more Oduyas please.
We've been signing some quality guys, when that's what we're looking for

Tarasenko and Giroux come to mind, he hasn't worked out as hoped but Korpisalo was the top UFA goalie on the market and is probably the victim of the team in front of him tbh. Even Dadonov was coming off a 25g 47pts in 69 game season

There's a difference between our ability to sign UFA when we are given the green light to spend and the days we signed the cheapest option available in Oduya

Reactions: Big Muddy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I hope Staios has been gauging Chychrun's camp about re-signing.

If he is unlikely to extend this summer we should be looking at trading him at this year's deadline with 50% retention (2.3M cap hit).

We're going to have plenty of cap space next season so a couple million in retention won't handcuff us at all, but would mean a better trade return from a cap-strapped contender looking for help at D.

Chicago managed to get a 1st+2nd for McCabe and Lafferty because they retained 2M on McCabe's contract for 2 years.

It'll be difficult for us to replace what we gave up to get him (12th OVR + two 2nds) but retaining on him would help recover some value.

Reactions: scout20

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Won't save any cap but I wonder if we could move kubalik for kuraly. Get a more of a protocol bottom 6 forward.

Then send Kastelic to Vancouver as I know they are looking for cheap 4th liners

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Any interest in trading for Trevor Zegras?

They would probably want a package based around Greig, or Pinto, or our top pick. None of which make sense with the current makeup of our team.

They seem to be a budget team, so I doubt they would take one of our expensive roster players in a change of scenery. Everyone would probably suggest Norris for Zegras.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
First rounder(s) in 2024 should not be in play. We need to put some focus on rebuilding our pipeline a bit. Need to get a blue chipper or two back in the fold.

Any interest in trading for Trevor Zegras?

Hell no. He's an overrated hotshot. Kid needs to gain a ton of maturity before I'd be interested in him on the Sens.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
After playing 9 years in the NHL, Cam Talbot had only had 2 seasons below .911 before coming to Ottawa. One of them was still a good .908 and the other was a bad season in Edmonton .893. He's actually been remarkably consistent.

We turned him into a big piece of shit. We'd find a way to do the same to anyone.
Our previous GM and Head Coach did.

Hopefully that will not be the case here with our new POHO/GM and new Head Coach (TBD).

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
First rounder(s) in 2024 should not be in play. We need to put some focus on rebuilding our pipeline a bit. Need to get a blue chipper or two back in the fold.

Hell no. He's an overrated hotshot. Kid needs to gain a ton of maturity before I'd be interested in him on the Sens.
Brannstrom for Zegras? :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The guys on the radio were talking about Boone Jenner being the type of player the org is looking for.

How about

Jenner for late 1st, Ostapchuk, Kubalik and Brannstrom. Fills a need and provides enough salary relief to sign Pinto.

Or

Jenner for late 1st Kubalik and Joseph
We need Joseph, so no.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
my initial thought was Blake Coleman as a veteran target

Also If we have a good idea Chych will resign I would explore trading Chabot, that would be the shock to the core piece I would move.

Reactions: BigRig4 and gab6511

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Jenner isn’t a rental so whether it’s now or summer it will cost. You aren’t getting a guy at his AAV with term for free.
there will be other guys available in the summer

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

People have a hard time reconciling that Michigan goals still just count as one.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad