Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If we retained half we could still get someone like Soogaard or Merilainen up and break even on cap which I would consider a net positive.

If we retain half, we have 1.375M to budge towards a backup next year and break even.

I think whoever we put behind this team is going to look bad in net, so I don't think trading Forsberg for the sake of improving our goaltending is productive in the short term.

With that said, there still might be some value to changing one of the goalies, even if the replacement is a lateral move on paper. If they project to have the team fixed for next season, maybe they want a fresh goalie in there, instead of the guy who has PTSD from playing behind a team that cannot spell deffense.

Reactions: BigRig4

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
That rumour is clearly fake.

If any of you NHL Twitter insiders want a solid idea for a fake Senators rumour, make it Drake Batherson for Scott Laughton as the two main pieces. It's the perfect fake Twitter trade, because it's plausible enough to happen, but it's going to upset a lot of Senators fans.

It ticks a lot of boxes:
-Moves out core member to shock the team (per Friedman).
-Clears 2M prorated of cap in preparation for Pinto's return.
-Brings in an NHL veteran who plays hard (rumoured want).
-Connection with Giroux to keep him happy.
-Sens were tied to Laughton earlier in the season.
-Flyers get a possible 80-100 point winger.

Josh Norris for Ryan O'Reilly would be another good one. It needs to be a veteran with a rep in the 28-32 year old range so that people can make Brassard for Zibanejad Twitter posts. Or, Stutzle for Robert Thomas.

Reactions: NB613

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
That rumour is clearly fake.

If any of you NHL Twitter insiders want a solid idea for a fake Senators rumour, make it Drake Batherson for Scott Laughton as the two main pieces. It's the perfect fake Twitter trade, because it's plausible enough to happen, but it's going to upset a lot of Senators fans.

It ticks a lot of boxes:
-Moves out core member to shock the team (per Friedman).
-Clears 2M prorated of cap in preparation for Pinto's return.
-Brings in an NHL veteran who plays hard (rumoured want).
-Connection with Giroux to keep him happy.
-Sens were tied to Laughton earlier in the season.
-Flyers get a possible 80-100 point winger.

Josh Norris for Ryan O'Reilly would be another good one. It needs to be a veteran with a rep in the 28-32 year old range so that people can make Brassard for Zibanejad Twitter posts. Or, Stutzle for Robert Thomas.

All these trades would be beyond bad.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Wonder if there is a deal to be had with the Flames centered around Lindholm (with an extension) and Norris

If the flames do decide to retool

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Trading Norris makes almost no sense. Last year, the same people wanted to shoot Batherson out of a cannon into the sun and now this year they're ready to do the same to Norris. It's almost like guys who miss an entire year due to a serious injury need quite a bit of time to get back up to NHL speed. Look at Batherson now...leads the team in goals, points and even strength points since Nov. 1st. Norris will make the same progress next year. Maybe not leading the team in those specific categories but I'd expect him to be the top goal scorer on the team and an important two-way center.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
All these trades would be beyond bad.

The art of fake NHL twitter trades is they have to be bad enough to rile up one fanbase, but have at least some shred of plausibility.

Something like suggesting then Senators will give up a 2nd round pick while rebuilding for an over the hill Stepan because his signing bonus was paid already.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
We laugh at the Leafs but I would love to be a perennial regular season contender. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

That said, of course I hope this handcuffs them down the road. Hopefully Willy adapts effort to guaranteed money for the next 8+ years. Wait… is that screwing us now??

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We laugh at the Leafs but I would love to be a perennial regular season contender. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

That said, of course I hope this handcuffs them down the road. Hopefully Willy adapts effort to guaranteed money for the next 8+ years. Wait… is that screwing us now??

I mean, we are so bad we can look at virtually any other team with a certain degree of longing.

But while we toil in ineptitude, it's not rainbows and sunshine in places like Toronto and Edmonton where they've got the pieces but season after season just keeps slipping through their fingers.

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I mean, we are so bad we can look at virtually any other team with a certain degree of longing.

But while we toil in ineptitude, it's not rainbows and sunshine in places like Toronto and Edmonton where they've got the pieces but season after season just keeps slipping through their fingers.
Playing well enough to win sufficient games to make the playoffs looks pretty good to me right now.

Unfortunately we don't look close right now and we are going to have to knock some roster moves out of the park for this to turn around quickly. The situation is so bleak .. We should not be in this position wrt the roster and the organizational depth considering where we have been finishing .
The messaging will be interesting .. but it sure feels like it will take more time to correct the mistakes made particularly over the past 2 years.

Reactions: Cosmix

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Playing well enough to win sufficient games to make the playoffs looks pretty good to me right now.

Unfortunately we don't look close right now and we are going to have to knock some roster moves out of the park for this to turn around quickly. The situation is so bleak .. We should not be in this position wrt the roster and the organizational depth considering where we have been finishing .
The messaging will be interesting .. but it sure feels like it will take more time to correct the mistakes made particularly over the past 2 years.
I was excited at some of the moves but sure feels foolish retrospectively to keep pushing chips in on getting certain players under the assumption we were now a contender without having come close in recent years. And all the assets squandered outside of the marquee moves. We should have a loaded prospect pipeline, even with graduating a bunch of “young” prospects over the past few years.

The legacy of PD will haunt us. I bought into the short term hope and promises like many. I’ve already been fooled twice, I know what I am.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014

Leafs excluded. lol

Trading Norris would be beyond dumb. Unless the other team realizes how good he will be once he's back up to speed, we're selling very very low.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

It looks bleak but if I take off my pessimist hat and put on the optimist one I can make a case for positivity.

The hardest thing to acquire is skill, we have some quality offensive players.

We have a surplus of high quality LD in Sanderson, Chabot and Chychrun and we can move one of the latter 2 to add a Zub type RD.

We have almost 50 games for Martin to teach the players to play properly without any pressure on the staff to win since he’s only here during this lost season.

We have quality centres in Norris, Pinto, Greig and Stutzle. They are quite inexperienced but stilll quality.

If we could add a veteran centre for the 3rd line we could move 2 of the above centres to wing for a couple years.

We have seen goalies leave Ottawa and look much better so it stands to reason that better team play will lead to better goaltending.

We have a lack of prospects but we are heading towards 3 picks in the top 40-45 draft slots.

We finally have gotten rid of Melnyk and Dorion.

There is no reason this team can’t pull a 2022/23 NJ Devils turnaround with a couple of very good roster moves in the offseason.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Trading Norris makes almost no sense. Last year, the same people wanted to shoot Batherson out of a cannon into the sun and now this year they're ready to do the same to Norris. It's almost like guys who miss an entire year due to a serious injury need quite a bit of time to get back up to NHL speed. Look at Batherson now...leads the team in goals, points and even strength points since Nov. 1st. Norris will make the same progress next year. Maybe not leading the team in those specific categories but I'd expect him to be the top goal scorer on the team and an important two-way center.
Not to mention that with his current production and contract we'd be selling extremely low

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Maybe something around Norris for Carlo?

Don't know if we'll have any takers for Norris on his current contract after his shoulder issues and struggles this year.

We certainly wouldn't get a solid top 4 RD on a great contract in return for him.

The trade to make with Boston was Pinto for Swayman, but I remember people thinking that was a big overpayment for some reason.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Don't know if we'll have any takers for Norris on his current contract after his shoulder issues and struggles this year.

We certainly wouldn't get a solid top 4 RD on a great contract in return for him.

The trade to make with Boston was Pinto for Swayman, but I remember people thinking that was a big overpayment for some reason.
It would have been a big overpayment. Swayman would likely be sporting a sub .900 save % behind this team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well, he missed all of last year, so any reasonable person expected a down year. He's still pacing for 30 goals, and is only 24.

As for trading Pinto for Swayman, idk that Boston had any intent on moving him, and as GCK points out, how he performs behind a veteran Boston team and how he'd perform behind our DZ coverage could be very different.

Reactions: Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It would have been a big overpayment. Swayman would likely be sporting a sub .900 save % behind this team.

He's never sported below .900 SV% at any level. In fact his SV% hasn't been below .910 in the USHL, NCAA, AHL or NHL.

He's been consistently above-average at every level he has played at, unlike Korpisalo, one of the most inconsistent goalies in the league, who has more sub .900 SV% seasons (5) than above .900 SV% seasons (4) in his NHL career thus far.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
He's never sported below .900 SV% at any level. In fact his SV% hasn't been below .910 in the USHL, NCAA, AHL or NHL.

He's been consistently above-average at every level he has played at, unlike Korpisalo, one of the most inconsistent goalies in the league, who has more sub .900 SV% seasons (5) than above .900 SV% seasons (4) in his NHL career thus far.
After playing 9 years in the NHL, Cam Talbot had only had 2 seasons below .911 before coming to Ottawa. One of them was still a good .908 and the other was a bad season in Edmonton .893. He's actually been remarkably consistent.

We turned him into a big piece of shit. We'd find a way to do the same to anyone.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well, in Providence and Boston, he's always had similar numbers to the other goalie. Both teams are/were strong clubs. Maine is harder to judge both because I never watched any of it, and because he played almost every game in his time there.

Idk that it's a sure thing he'd struggle here, but I don't think you can guarantee he'd be great here either, goalies need confidence in the team in front of them to perform at their best, they need to know they can come out to challenge and not get beat back door, in Ottawa, goalies seem to either play deep or get burnt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad