Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Would people do a kubalik for vrana based deal

Doesn’t move the need much for me.

Moving Kubalik I’d be more interested in either cap releif or someone who brings more sandpaper.

Also not sure how Vrana is doing on the personal front and not sure that’s the right fit for the sens young locker room.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I dont see why he cant be Volchenkov. He handles the puck and makes as good a first pass, not sure if he has the defensive instincts. A very poor mans Chara perhaps but nothing close to that, however he does have a very unique skillset. There are many habs players and prospects that are massively overrated over there, but Xhekaj is not one of them. Its actually really interesting to me I think that fanbase is the most out of touch with reality on HF and its really not close. No one overrates their players more but Xhekaj is one of the ones that isnt relative to the others.
Volchenkov was much better defensively at the same age, imo.

I'm not against the idea of Xhekaj, I think he can be a useful player, and his fighting/intimidation factor are certainly a big plus. I like the way he gets around the ice, he's a good skater, but I think he tops out as a Carkner type, maybe a bit better if he can solidify his defensive instincts. Right now though I don't really trust him defensively and his usage has been butter soft.

With our depth at LD though, I'm not sure he's really a guy we should target.

Reactions: Bileur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Volchenkov was much better defensively at the same age, imo.

I'm not against the idea of Xhekaj, I think he can be a useful player, and his fighting/intimidation factor are certainly a big plus. I like the way he gets around the ice, he's a good skater, but I think he tops out as a Carkner type, maybe a bit better if he can solidify his defensive instincts. Right now though I don't really trust him defensively and his usage has been butter soft.

With our depth at LD though, I'm not sure he's really a guy we should target.
He's already better than Carkner ever was at the NHL level from a skill and skating perspective. So essentially you dont believe he will develop at all. Which is very strange in this instance as he is quite clearly at the very start of his development curve. He is a noted late bloomer. Every aspect of the player suggests this is the very start, that he has way more raw skill and ability than Carkner. On top of the fact that larger players and defensmen in general take longer to develop.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's already better than Carkner ever was at the NHL level. So essentially you dont believe he will develop at all. Which is very strange in this instance as he is quite clearly at the very start of his development curve.
Perhaps I'm being a bit nostalgic wrt Carkner? I mostly remember him for the NYR series where if I recall he was giving us some pretty solid mins, it's been a while though so you're probably right, I'm likely far too generous wrt Carkner's time here.

I'll reframe it as this, I don't see Xhekaj being more than a bottom pair guy that won't play against the other teams top guys and isn't going to eat the tough mins to open up more favourable options for more talented guys. I have never liked his reads in the DZ and find he's too eager to go for the big hit. I think a team will have trouble finding mins to get him out there unless he cleans things up.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Wifi is a soon-to-be 23 year old bottom pairing guy currently playing in the minors. And probably the reality is that if he wasn't a fighter, he'd never have played in the NHL. We don't need him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wifi is a soon-to-be 23 year old bottom pairing guy currently playing in the minors. And probably the reality is that if he wasn't a fighter, he'd never have played in the NHL. We don't need him.
To be fair, JBD was, up until an emergency recall, a 23 year old bottom pairing guy playing in the minors.

He's not the guy I'd target, we need a RHD to replace Hamonic if anything, or just to get healthy, but you're point does kind of put into perspective that Mtl really isn't likely to score that 1st round pick they seem to think they can get from him...

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
To be fair, JBD was, up until an emergency recall, a 23 year old bottom pairing guy playing in the minors.

He's not the guy I'd target, we need a RHD to replace Hamonic if anything, or just to get healthy, but you're point does kind of put into perspective that Mtl really isn't likely to score that 1st round pick they seem to think they can get from him...
The game sometimes is about opportunity. JBD is a righty, is getting his shot, and running with it

WiFi came out of nowhere and was intimidating. There's enough video of him now. Other teams are watching it and exploiting his weaknesses

Reactions: Xspyrit

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The game sometimes is about opportunity. JBD is a righty, is getting his shot, and running with it

WiFi came out of nowhere and was intimidating. There's enough video of him now. Other teams are watching it and exploiting his weaknesses

And a good coach will work on those weaknesses. Ottawa is now fortunate to have both Jacques Martin and Alfie in those player development roles. Jacques is a master tactician, not just strategic, hence we see his influence the way Sens have been playing lately. I am sure he is also helping them identify and strengthen areas where the player personnel can improve (like with good habits and adjustments, nothing earth shattering). That's why I want to see all the good that Xhekaj brings (the basic fundamentals to be a shutdown bottom-pair man) and see if they can be improved. What he brings today I will take over Hamonic (or JBD who has been decent lately and can carve out the #6 role while Chabot's injured).

Think you are underrating what WiFi brings, focusing on what he doesn't (which I argue is workable). Cheers!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
And a good coach will work on those weaknesses. Ottawa is now fortunate to have both Jacques Martin and Alfie in those player development roles. Jacques is a master tactician, not just strategic, hence we see his influence the way Sens have been playing lately. That's why I want to see all the good that Xhekaj brings (the basic fundamentals to be a shutdown bottom-pair man) and see if they can be improved. What he brings today I will take over Hamonic (or JBD who has been decent lately and can carve out the #6 role while Chabot's injured).

Think you are underrating what WiFi brings, focusing on what he doesn't (which I argue is workable). Cheers!
Sorry man. With your avatar picture, can't take anything you say seriously

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit and armani

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
I would love to see a Brannstrom ++ for Xhekaj trade, because it would be the perfect topper to Pierre's career, having traded top line, Cup winning winger Mark Stone for a guy who winds up being a small component of a trade for a 6/7 defenseman. That would be awesome, and my proudest moment as a critic of a ridiculous GM.

• Haha
Reactions: Puikiou

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I agree the variables are different enough to not be that informative on Xhekaj’s value.

I just brought him up because I was actually shocked Zadorov went for so little. I get it’s because of the salary, but his contact isn’t even that bad. I thought teams would be more desperate to bring in a guy with that size and physicality.

I saw some Habs bloggers suggest a first round pick. That’s too rich for my blood.

Teams wanted Zadorov, they simply couldn't add cap. Vancouver was enabled to make the deal by the Corey Perry issue and Hall injury that put Chicago in a position to take Beauvillier and open up cap in Vancouver.

It's not whether his contract is good or bad, it's that teams didn't have an avenue to make cap room to add him, except Vancouver.

Reactions: Bileur

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Do any Sens fans have interest in trading for Habs Arber Xhekaj?( he looks like he might be available)

MacEwen + Hamonic for Xhekaj

IF :

- Hamonic agrees to lift his NMC (doubtful)
- Xhekaj agrees to play 4th line W because I don't want him in my D-squad

2nd + 3rd + Hammer for Xhekaj. New Carkner, the type of old school type guy very rare these days.

If any team pays more, they are paying for fool's gold. He is not 911 Chara.

Holy overpay

JBD is much better defensively. Do you see us Sens fans asking for 2nd + 3rd?

Heck, non-Sens fans are still asking for JBD for future considerations (not on HF)

I wasnt suggesting Brannstrom to Montreal, I said just to move him out.

I'd rather be soft and play in the other team's end rather than ours because the more you play in your zone, the higher the chance the puck ends up in your net

I would love to see a Brannstrom ++ for Xhekaj trade, because it would be the perfect topper to Pierre's career, having traded top line, Cup winning winger Mark Stone for a guy who winds up being a small component of a trade for a 6/7 defenseman. That would be awesome, and my proudest moment as a critic of a ridiculous GM.

Brannstrom is a much better than Xhekaj... Brannstrom will play a lot of games in the NHL. No idea for Xhekaj, not sure how much more development there is, he's like a violent Christoph Schubert, however not as skilled

The guy to target on the Habs if they move him is Kovacevic

Brannstrom-Kovacevic would actually a very good 3rd pairing

But with JBD's emergence, Kleven in development and Guenette waiting his turn, we're getting full. We'll probably end up trading Brannstrom, hopefully for a young forward.

Seeing that Seattle is looking for a more natural goal scorer and have a bunch of Dmen. How about Kubalik for Borgen?

Really doubt Seattle would do that. Borgen is a good shutdown D-man and has 1 more year while Kubalik is UFA

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NB613

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
How's Kleven doing in Belleville? If people are thinking or pining for a young, low cost, LD who has physicality in his game, Kleven has been drafted and is being developed by the organization. He's not a face puncher I suppose though.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
How's Kleven doing in Belleville? If people are thinking or pining for a young, low cost, LD who has physicality in his game, Kleven has been drafted and is being developed by the organization. He's not a face puncher I suppose though.
Doing good by all accounts. Foot: Smejkal is starting to figure out how things work in North America
David Foot Bsens broadcaster does some stints with TSN 1200.. I believe in this one they discuss Kleven for a bit.
He's been out injured the last couple of games

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The way to deploy WiFi would be to go 11-7 at home and unleash him against whatever line deserves some physical punishment.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

JBD has a much higher pedigree though, so there is that.

No point in picking up and enforcer who can’t play regularly. He’s got toughness in spades, but can’t crack the lowly habs lineup.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The way to deploy WiFi would be to go 11-7 at home and unleash him against whatever line deserves some physical punishment.
Why though?

Why not ice a better hockey player and win the game. If we want truculence then get a guy who can own a roster spot.

scout20

Jul 21, 2022
to Ottawa Eric Cernak(5.2 million) & Brandon Hagel (6.5 million)
to Tampa Bay Norris (7.95 million) & Chychurn (4.6 million).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad