Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Do any Sens fans have interest in trading for Habs Arber Xhekaj?( he looks like he might be available)
I’d be curious about the asking price.

Zadorov went for almost nothing and is a much better player.

It would almost be worth it just to see the angst among habs fans when he roughs up their players.

Reactions: Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’d be curious about the asking price.

Zadorov went for almost nothing and is a much better player.

It would almost be worth it just to see the angst among habs fans when he roughs up their players.
Zadorov is a UFA at the end of the year with a significant cap hit, while Xhekaj is a 22 yr old RFA on the final yr of his ELC, not seeing much of a comparison there to determine his value.

Not saying he's worth a tone, but I don't think Zadorov has any link here.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Zadorov went for a 3rd because Vancouver could take him without sending back cap.

Xhekaj is an RFA on a 2-way contract. He won't be eligible for arbitration next off season. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

He is never going to be anything more than a 6th-7th type D, but he hits and fights, which are valuable intangibles. Someone might pay more than a team would typically pay for a tweener defenseman.

Reactions: NB613 and Bileur

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
2nd + 3rd + Hammer for Xhekaj. New Carkner, the type of old school type guy very rare these days.

If any team pays more, they are paying for fool's gold. He is not 911 Chara.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
2nd + 3rd + Hammer for Xhekaj. New Carkner, the type of old school type guy very rare these days.

Hammer has a full NMC, and I wouldn't give a 2nd and 3rd for Xhekaj,

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'd easily dress Xhekaj over Hamonic. And up until recently over JBD but, JBD has maybe stepped it up a notch lately and changed that.

Either way I wouldn't move any assets for the guy right now unless it was Boucher or something.

Reactions: Alex1234 and armani

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'd easily dress Xhekaj over Hamonic. And up until recently over JBD but, JBD has maybe stepped it up a notch lately and changed that.

Either way I wouldn't move any assets for the guy right now unless it was Boucher or something.
Hamonic should be a 7 but is playing because of the never ending rotation of injuries to the D. When the top 6 guys are healthy, he's sitting in the press box.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Hammer has a full NMC, and I wouldn't give a 2nd and 3rd for Xhekaj,

I’m surprised you’re even paying that much
Jack Eye is unique. He can be molded into something that will give us value when the game goes into the trenches (i.e. March onwards when this team is in hot pursuit). I see this as shoring up the back line, giving up 2nd and 3rd AND getting rid of Hamonic (if he agrees to waive NMC of course), with a 6th D-man that can positively (and negatively sometimes) impact the game in Sens favour with his sheer intimidation and physicality. Xhekaj is not just a fighter, he can actually play a bit and hits to hurt. We have nobody like that in the Ottawa backend (Kleven is still cooking) and I would pay the price to get him to groom under Jaqcues Martin the same way Chara was brought up to use his capabilities under Count Jacqueula in the past.

Last edited:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I would move out Brannstrom for a pick and prospect then use the pick on Wifi.

We have too many puck moving D and need a shut down and a fighter.

Brady shouldnt fight, Kelly stopped fighting, Kastelic is out, MacEwan isnt great at it.

• Haha
Reactions: NB613 and Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jack Eye is unique. He can be molded into something that will give us value when the game goes into the trenches (i.e. March onwards when this team is in hot pursuit). I see this as shoring up the back line, giving up 2nd and 3rd AND getting rid of Hamonic (if he agrees to waive NMC of course), with a 6th D-man that can positively (and negatively sometimes) impact the game in Sens favour with his sheer intimidation and physicality. Xhekaj is not just a fighter, he can actually play a bit and hits to hurt. We have nobody like that in the Ottawa backend (Kleven is still cooking) and I would pay the price to get him to groom under Jaqcues Martin the same way Chara was brought up to use his capabilities under Count Jacqueula in the past.
I still think you're giving up too much for what amounts to magic beans, you're banking on Martin turning him into something he currently is not. Chara was unique not just in his size but also in his resolve to become the best at everything he does. That's not something that can be replicated by coaching.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I would move out Brannstrom for a pick and prospect then use the pick on Wifi.

We have too many puck moving D and need a shut down and a fighter.

Brady shouldnt fight, Kelly stopped fighting, Kastelic is out, MacEwan isnt great at it.

I don't think they would take Brannstrom.

They would want to swap him for a younger prospect who isn't going to be arbitration eligible. Brannstrom might be difficult to qualify because he should get a decent arbitration settlement purely based on his games player and experience, but it will be below the walk away threshold.

I don't think it would cost a 2nd+3rd as the other poster suggested. A normal tweener like Xhekaj would have 0 value, but maybe his intangibles make it so that Montreal can get a 3rd for him instead of a 6th or 7th.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I don't think they would take Brannstrom.

They would want to swap him for a younger prospect who isn't going to be arbitration eligible. Brannstrom might be difficult to qualify because he should get a decent arbitration settlement purely based on his games player and experience, but it will be below the walk away threshold.

I don't think it would cost a 2nd+3rd as the other poster suggested. A normal tweener like Xhekaj would have 0 value, but maybe his intangibles make it so that Montreal can get a 3rd for him instead of a 6th or 7th.
I wasnt suggesting Brannstrom to Montreal, I said just to move him out.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I still think you're giving up too much for what amounts to magic beans, you're banking on Martin turning him into something he currently is not. Chara was unique not just in his size but also in his resolve to become the best at everything he does. That's not something that can be replicated by coaching.

Yes, in hindsight. I remember Marshall Johnston got Chara as a throw-in to the high first pick (2nd overall + Muckult) from NYI. Chara was raw, was known as giraffe/bad fighter who could somehow hang with Scott Parker, but not much else.

I don't know about replication, but I also don't know if Xhekaj is a demotivated guy. Nor do I expect a Chara out of him.

I chuckled at your magic beans comment as if the picks being offered by Sens are anything but. 2nd + 3rd + Hamonic out is a fair price to pay for what Xhekaj already brings as a serviceable, physical and intimidating d-man. He will only get better with experience and grooming, and Martin was great in Ottawa not for his system but how he let some of the younger guys flourish in his "trap" system.

Fun fact from the old Sens boards: I was laughed out when I suggested that I see Chara as a future Norris winner. With Xhekaj, I see a bottom pairing defenceman that can be groomed into a very stable and initimidating backline presence for many years to come. Not a Norris winner, but definite value-add as he brings something most rosters don't from their backend.

Another fun fact: My trade offer wasn't accepted by the Habs fan on the mainboards lol. Some in the Habs media are delusional if they think they can get a 1st for Xhekaj. Some want a roster player of value (cuz Habs has many 11 picks in 2024) and I am not trading any from Ottawa.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Zadorov went for a 3rd because Vancouver could take him without sending back cap.

Xhekaj is an RFA on a 2-way contract. He won't be eligible for arbitration next off season. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

He is never going to be anything more than a 6th-7th type D, but he hits and fights, which are valuable intangibles. Someone might pay more than a team would typically pay for a tweener defenseman.
He's basically Boro, even has the meme nickname (and Borocop is better nickname than Wifi)

No one would know who he is if he played in another market.

No thanks to getting another Boro.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
He's basically Boro, even has the meme nickname (and Borocop is better nickname than Wifi)

Boro was a tough warrior for the Sens, but he would take his own licks and sometimes dish it out to against middleweights as a bottom pairing guy.

Xhekaj is a legit heavyweight, not many are willing to challenge him and he hits to intimidate. If the guy is seriously available, Ottawa should have a look. Guys like that are gems in playoff type games. He still has room to grow his game (i.e. even Boro took a while to round himself out to his best abilities).

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Boro was great.

It's just context that matters. A player like Boro' is great when he is the 6th-7th D who sets the tone and can come in on contentious games. I don't think anybody who wants Xhekaj expects him to be anything else other than that, but maybe I am not reading the room.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Well id give up that much in a heart beat for Xhekaj and more. He handles the puck really well for a big guy, he can run a 2nd pp unit. His development is just beginning here, he's got a long way to go. There is no way the Habs make that trade and he is going to be much better than Carkner. Hamonic has a NMC they cant do anything with him. So unfortunately as much as id love to do that deal its not going to happen.

He's way better than Boro at the same age its not remotely close, he's also much bigger. Much more offensive upside.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Boro was great.

It's just context that matters. A player like Boro' is great when he is the 6th-7th D who sets the tone and can come in on contentious games. I don't think anybody who wants Xhekaj expects him to be anything else other than that, but maybe I am not reading the room.

I see Xhekaj as a mix of Andy Sutton (hard hitting, a bit dirty) and Matt Carkner (fighting, keeping the crease clear, not let any player take liberties be it Orr or Lucic), not Boro, if I am using past Senators as references. But I also see a big, intimidating, heavyweight who can skate, hit, and can actually be a physical shutdown defenceman. Something that is not abundant in the league or in prospect pipelines. Xhekaj is already a better skater than Carkner and is one of the most intimidating d-men already in his young career. He will get better with experience like most d-men, so the price I offered in my trade is not much to pay for the potential benefits. Nor a big loss if that means you also swap Hamonic's NMC.

Not comparing him to Chara or Volchekov, but as a bottom pairing d-man who makes every minute he plays count for a team with the ambition to contend. Can't see many crashing into Korpi or Forsberg with impunity. Heck, I don't see Matthew Tkachuk do as he wants with the Sens as he knows little bro won't do anything to him.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Zadorov is a UFA at the end of the year with a significant cap hit, while Xhekaj is a 22 yr old RFA on the final yr of his ELC, not seeing much of a comparison there to determine his value.

Not saying he's worth a tone, but I don't think Zadorov has any link here.

I agree the variables are different enough to not be that informative on Xhekaj’s value.

I just brought him up because I was actually shocked Zadorov went for so little. I get it’s because of the salary, but his contact isn’t even that bad. I thought teams would be more desperate to bring in a guy with that size and physicality.

I saw some Habs bloggers suggest a first round pick. That’s too rich for my blood.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I see Xhekaj as a mix of Andy Sutton (hard hitting, a bit dirty) and Matt Carkner (fighting, keeping the crease clear, not let any player take liberties be it Orr or Lucic), not Boro, if I am using past Senators as references. But I also see a big, intimidating, heavyweight who can skate, hit, and can actually be a physical shutdown defenceman. Something that is not abundant in the league or in prospect pipelines. Xhekaj is already a better skater than Carkner and is one of the most intimidating d-men already in his young career. He will get better with experience like most d-men, so the price I offered in my trade is not much to pay for the potential benefits. Nor a big loss if that means you also swap Hamonic's NMC.

Not comparing him to Chara or Volchekov, but as a bottom pairing d-man who makes every minute he plays count for a team with the ambition to contend. Can't see many crashing into Korpi or Forsberg with impunity. Heck, I don't see Matthew Tkachuk do as he wants with the Sens as he knows little bro won't do anything to him.
I dont see why he cant be Volchenkov. He handles the puck and makes as good a first pass, not sure if he has the defensive instincts. A very poor mans Chara perhaps but nothing close to that, however he does have a very unique skillset. There are many habs players and prospects that are massively overrated over there, but Xhekaj is not one of them. Its actually really interesting to me I think that fanbase is the most out of touch with reality on HF and its really not close. No one overrates their players more but Xhekaj is one of the ones that isnt relative to the others.

I agree the variables are different enough to not be that informative on Xhekaj’s value.

I just brought him up because I was actually shocked Zadorov went for so little. I get it’s because of the salary, but his contact isn’t even that bad. I thought teams would be more desperate to bring in a guy with that size and physicality.

I saw some Habs bloggers suggest a first round pick. That’s too rich for my blood.
Id give up the sens late first this year for him in a second. Its gonna be the boston pick which is going to be in the 20's. Its too bad he doesnt shoot right.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I dont see why he cant be Volchenkov. He handles the puck and makes as good a first pass, not sure if he has the defensive instincts. A very poor mans Chara perhaps but nothing close to that, however he does have a very unique skillset. There are many habs players and prospects that are massively overrated over there, but Xhekaj is not one of them. Its actually really interesting to me I think that fanbase is the most out of touch with reality on HF and its really not close. No one overrates their players more but Xhekaj is one of the ones that isnt relative to the others.

Id give up the sens late first this year for him in a second. Its gonna be the boston pick which is going to be in the 20's. Its too bad he doesnt shoot right.

I’d definitely be curious to see how Jacques could develop him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Would people do a kubalik for vrana based deal
They can have Vrana for free right now, Kubalik is finding his game. Who knows what other injuries this team has, I wouldnt move away from Kubalik yet. He is streaky maybe about to hit a hot streak. Kubalik is pretty good away from the puck he doesnt hurt you like a Vrana might. I dont want any volatile personalities in this dressing room as they start to play with some consistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad