Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ya, I figure it's somewhere between Minor and major given he finished the game, but I'll readily admit don't really have a clue when it comes to this stuff.
Ive done it 3 times all different levels if its a full tear he wouldnt have been able to play at all unless they put a brace on. So i doubt its that, cant imagine they would have risked that. Id bet he's week to week if its MCL. Honestly I hope thats what it is.

Reactions: HSF and Micklebot

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Foudy going on waivers, i remember really wanting him in the duchene trade. I am so smart =/. Gotta think with those tools he could be able to become a good bottom 6er...

Reactions: NB613

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Would anyone be willing to trade our picks this year for some roster upgrades?

We'd have to get creative with the cap, obviously.

Core Player + Pick for better core player kind of stuff.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

No interest in trading 1st round picks during the season.

If we find the magic to get back in the race and there is a good player that fits our profile to be added later, I might be tempted at the trade deadline.

If not, let's see where we end up - we need to get the prospects pipeline going again.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Depends on who the player is. If we can move someone like Batherson being the key piece in an upgrade like Keller, sure. But not sure if there's any moves to be made.

I think some more safer moves might be trying to get someone like Tanev off Calgary if the price is similar to Zadorov, Hakanpa off the Stars, etc... a nice shut down guy that is physical, but not as crap as Hamonic

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Depends on who the player is. If we can move someone like Batherson being the key piece in an upgrade like Keller, sure. But not sure if there's any moves to be made.

I think some more safer moves might be trying to get someone like Tanev off Calgary if the price is similar to Zadorov, Hakanpa off the Stars, etc... a nice shut down guy that is physical, but not as crap as Hamonic
Arizona is good now and battling for the playoffs. I can't see a world in which they trade Keller; that ship has sailed away. Not only are they competitive, but they also have prospects in their system and a shit ton of picks.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Ethan Bear is a ufa RHD available right now. I'd love to swap hamonic for him, even though i doubt it's possible.

This team needs to learn to save some cap space each year for the inevitable waiver guys, euro options, trade flexibility, etc. These things present themselves year after year. Just leave 1.5 M going into the season. I can almost guarantee a smart GM can convert that into some free wallets.

• Love

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Ethan Bear is a ufa RHD available right now. I'd love to swap hamonic for him, even though i doubt it's possible.

This team needs to learn to save some cap space each year for the inevitable waiver guys, euro options, trade flexibility, etc. These things present themselves year after year. Just leave 1.5 M going into the season. I can almost guarantee a smart GM can convert that into some free wallets.
Dude, we had maximum cap space every year until last year!

• Haha
Reactions: TheNewEra

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

They're gonna have about $13M next year with the majority of the roster set. Don't think we need to make sweeping generalizations about something that has happened once in the last 20 years.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Apparently, Seattle is looking for scoring. Friedman did some speculating about Larsson. Garrioch keeps mentioning Batherson.

Batherson for Larsson? Add in a forward like Yamamoto or Tolvanen for Brannstrom.

I don't want to see them trade Batherson, but if the goal is to compete, Larsson is exactly what they need.

• Haha

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
They're gonna have about $13M next year with the majority of the roster set. Don't think we need to make sweeping generalizations about something that has happened once in the last 20 years.
What has happened once in 20 years? Us having no cap space?

The point was more that we need to be ready to move on some of these events that happen. Every year there are guys that go through waivers who are better than the weakest players on our roster. Guys like Tolvanen. And lots of guys at the beginning of the season. JBD went through waivers this year and there are better players who did too.

Just anticipate that happening. Save some cap and keep a few two-way contracts on the bottom of our roster to statt the season to give us that flexibility.

People freak when we trade a mid round pick away, but these players are real assets that we just let pass by.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Apparently, Seattle is looking for scoring. Friedman did some speculating about Larsson. Garrioch keeps mentioning Batherson.

Batherson for Larsson? Add in a forward like Yamamoto or Tolvanen for Brannstrom.

I don't want to see them trade Batherson, but if the goal is to compete, Larsson is exactly what they need.
Not a bad idea on paper but I'd be focusing more on getting the team to play properly more consistently before looking at a big trade like that.

Reactions: gab6511 and HSF

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Yea get a new coach before moving core pieces.
I’d be down for kubalik or brannstrom being moved if it’s for upgrades (brannstrom is good though)

I agree that certain players may perform better after a coaching change, but you have to keep in mind that if we wait to see how players respond to a new coach, we're not making any major moves until January 2025. They are very clearly not changing coaches in season so we'd have to wait until half way through next season.

In terms of Batherson, I think that he is a player who we will move, and it will become a meme. As in, he will break out as a 100+ point forward. He has that kind of potential, but I also think he needs a change of scenery to get there. He needs a fresh start, and he needs to go to a team offensively where there is an opening for him to be one of the #1 wingers.

I don't want to see the Senators trade him, but if they get back a #2 RHD, I would more than understand. They need to do something to change the complexion of the team, and Batherson is the most logical of the core forwards to move once you figure they aren't moving Giroux, Stutzle, or Tkachuk, Norris has ties to Tkachuk and plays center. So if they think they need to shake up the group, Batherson is the guy.

As far as Kubalik or Brannstrom, I doubt they have much value. Even if we move them or don't re-sign them, their cap will be used next year on replacements in the top 9/top 6. So while it gives the Senators cap flexibility to move on from them, I don't think it frees up much cap in theory since the players would need to be replaced and we may not have ELC bodies to do it.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
What has happened once in 20 years? Us having no cap space?

The point was more that we need to be ready to move on some of these events that happen. Every year there are guys that go through waivers who are better than the weakest players on our roster. Guys like Tolvanen. And lots of guys at the beginning of the season. JBD went through waivers this year and there are better players who did too.

Just anticipate that happening. Save some cap and keep a few two-way contracts on the bottom of our roster to statt the season to give us that flexibility.

People freak when we trade a mid round pick away, but these players are real assets that we just let pass by.
The point you made was pretty clear:
This team needs to learn to save some cap space each year
And the counterpoint was also very clear. Don't know why you're saying the same thing again like this team has a history of being within a few bucks of the cap ceiling. First time it's happened in 20 years (maybe even team history?) and it's obvious they were anticipating a rise of the cap instead of years of relative stagnation.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I agree that certain players may perform better after a coaching change, but you have to keep in mind that if we wait to see how players respond to a new coach, we're not making any major moves until January 2025. They are very clearly not changing coaches in season so we'd have to wait until half way through next season.

In terms of Batherson, I think that he is a player who we will move, and it will become a meme. As in, he will break out as a 100+ point forward. He has that kind of potential, but I also think he needs a change of scenery to get there. He needs a fresh start, and he needs to go to a team offensively where there is an opening for him to be one of the #1 wingers.

I don't want to see the Senators trade him, but if they get back a #2 RHD, I would more than understand. They need to do something to change the complexion of the team, and Batherson is the most logical of the core forwards to move once you figure they aren't moving Giroux, Stutzle, or Tkachuk, Norris has ties to Tkachuk and plays center. So if they think they need to shake up the group, Batherson is the guy.

As far as Kubalik or Brannstrom, I doubt they have much value. Even if we move them or don't re-sign them, their cap will be used next year on replacements in the top 9/top 6. So while it gives the Senators cap flexibility to move on from them, I don't think it frees up much cap in theory since the players would need to be replaced and we may not have ELC bodies to do it.
I've never been a fan of the change of scenery being necessary. It was leaned into pretty heavily to excuse the Zibanejad debacle, but really it was patience they needed.

Reactions: DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

And the counterpoint was also very clear. Don't know why you're saying the same thing again like this team has a history of being within a few bucks of the cap ceiling. First time it's happened in 20 years (maybe even team history?) and it's obvious they were anticipating a rise of the cap instead of years of relative stagnation.
Well to be fair , its happened before, that’s why the Sens had to dump Havlat and Chara to fit everyone in.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

I didnt mean to imply it was just the lack of cap (and honestly my post didnt say that but i can see how someone with a penchant for arguing might incorrectly read it that way :)).

Regardless, my bad if it came out that way.

It's just a strategy i would like to see the team follow -- keep cap and roster flexibility to add a guy when an upgrade becomes available, instead of preferencing the guys already in our system. And every year these opportunities present themselves.

I want the team to plan to do it from the get go. That's what i was trying to say.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I've never been a fan of the change of scenery being necessary. It was leaned into pretty heavily to excuse the Zibanejad debacle, but really it was patience they needed.
Well…. Players, coaches, and GMs talk about it as being a real thing all the time so you might as well just accept that it’s a real thing, especially given that it’s coming from the horses’ mouth.

Zib benefited from the change of scenery, and says so himself. There is no evidence that simply being more patient in Ottawa would have led to him growing into the player he has become (not judging the trade at all).

We are in part products of our environment after all. ;)

Reactions: dumbdick

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Do any Sens fans have interest in trading for Habs Arber Xhekaj?( he looks like he might be available)
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad