Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
This shouldn't be a huge surprise. I know people who say Kubalik or Brannstrom would be difficult to trade for assets let alone trade at all have taken some flack in this thread. The reality is teams just don't have cap, and there is a huge opportunity cost to giving up cap. Most of the few teams who do have cap, don't have budget space to use it.

It's pretty clear that the Perry and Hall losses enabled Chicago to go out and get Beauvillier. That domino enabled Vancouver to have cap to get Zadorov.

Things probably loosen up at the TDL. We saw last year, prices were wild.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
A team acquiring a player via a trade and does not get to send money back gets a massive discount.

That is one of the ways you can use cap space.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This shouldn't be a huge surprise. I know people who say Kubalik or Brannstrom would be difficult to trade for assets let alone trade at all have taken some flack in this thread. The reality is teams just don't have cap, and there is a huge opportunity cost to giving up cap. Most of the few teams who do have cap, don't have budget space to use it.

It's pretty clear that the Perry and Hall losses enabled Chicago to go out and get Beauvillier. That domino enabled Vancouver to have cap to get Zadorov.

Things probably loosen up at the TDL. We saw last year, prices were wild.
The more unbelievable part was Beauvillier being able to be dumped so easily. Like, is that the best Chicago could get being one of the very few teams with cap space? And throw in a pick on top of it?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The more unbelievable part was Beauvillier being able to be dumped so easily. Like, is that the best Chicago could get being one of the very few teams with cap space? And throw in a pick on top of it?

Beauvillier isn't really a cap dump. Had 40P last year and his contract expires this season.

Underwhelming numbers to start the season but he's had little offensive opportunity. Odd man out in a stacked offense.

Should put to rest any notion that we'd have to give up assets to dump Kubalik.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Beauvillier isn't really a cap dump. Had 40P last year and his contract expires this season.

Underwhelming numbers to start the season but he's had little offensive opportunity. Odd man out in a stacked offense.

Should put to rest any notion that we'd have to give up assets to dump Kubalik.
Ya I guess they might see something there. He's been a disappointment this year and Tocchet singled him out at some points, but fair enough. He has a better track record than I thought.

Definitely a cap dump in the sense of Vancouver's needs and what they got from him this year, but I guess that doesn't always dictate the value if another team likes him.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Why do we need to dump Kubalik anyways? We can likely sign Pinto for about a million when he can play again.
doesnt it pro-rate though? So like we sign him for a mil and he only gets $500K cause he missed half the season?

Or we sign him for $1M for half a season and it pro-rates to a $2M cap hit?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
doesnt it pro-rate though? So like we sign him for a mil and he only gets $500K cause he missed half the season?

Or we sign him for $1M for half a season and it pro-rates to a $2M cap hit?

Sucks for him.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Calgary has cap space now. We could totally deal with them if we do need to clear cap for Pinto.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sucks for him.
Yeah i get that part. He made his bed here.

But do the rules allow a player to sign for half a year at $500k like that? I assume they can, but is it just a $1M contract based on the full-season that gets prorated down to below league minimum in terms of actual cash paid?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah i get that part. He made his bed here.

But do the rules allow a player to sign for half a year at $500k like that? I assume they can, but is it just a $1M contract based on the full-season that gets prorated down to below league minimum in terms of actual cash paid?

Not too sure with him being a 10.2 (c), it seems most rules for RFAs don’t apply. Usually for an RFA it’s prorated the other way. I imagine his Contract will be similar to a UFA who signs mid season. His cap hit would be $1m if that’s what he signed for.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
So Canucks just traded some magic beans (3rd, 5th) for RD Zadorov from Flames. Could we not have done better? (despite cap jail...)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So Canucks just traded some magic beans (3rd, 5th) for RD Zadorov from Flames. Could we not have done better? (despite cap jail...)
Well, he's a UFA, so that might be why we weren't interested when combined with the cap implications

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I think the key here is he isn't very good and makes nearly 4M this year.
i think Hamonic was paid 3m the year we got him for a 3rd (because we didn't have a 4th).

And Zadorov is not perfect but he is good, he is big and actually nasty and can intimidate. A good coach can make him a defensive weapon and he has really good shot, 14 goals last year.

can be a valuable guy, especially for our baby soft team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad