Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So you only look at stats eh?

The question is..In playoff games over the last 5 years including this one who are you putting out there if you have to choose between Zibanejad and Stone OR Tkachuk and Stutzle?

Take a look at Zib and Stone’s playoff stats to remind yourself.
Actually I watch the players and watched all of their careers, Stü is way ahead of either at the same age,

Like I said, grass is always greener on the other side, it's hard to appreciate what you have when the team is struggling I guess.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Omg people are talking the situation the Senators are currently in which is a compound of the history of Dorion and Melnyk. Omg they need to let it go omg. Overreaction omg. Move on omg. Bank sorry to talk ill of your daddies.
If you get excited about that then you need a real hobby my dude.
The team is floundering and doing poorly. This is a CURRENT event. It's not surprising that people are talking about how we ended up in this mess.
Sorry guys. Didn't realize you needed to monopolize every f***ing thread on the board to have the same discussion over and over and over again. Can someone explain to me what off topic means? Cause it's clear I'm in the wrong here.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Sorry guys. Didn't realize you needed to monopolize every f***ing thread on the board to have the same discussion over and over and over again. Can someone explain to me what off topic means? Cause it's clear I'm in the wrong here.
You could simply ignore the conversation and go on with your day. Instead, you always have to post like you are morally superior. When I see a discussion on here that I have nothing to contribute to or don't care for, I don't post about it. You should try that some time.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
You could simply ignore the conversation and go on with your day. Instead, you always have to post like you are morally superior. When I see a discussion on here that I have nothing to contribute to or don't care for, I don't post about it. You should try that some time.
I don't pretend to be superior to anyone but I don't think we need this many threads on the forum dedicated to Pierre Dorion discussion. Is 1 Pierre Dorion-specific thread not enough? Or should I avoid the entire forum because God knows when another thread will be hijacked so you guys can have yet another Senate hearing rehashing the same f***ing points like anything changed in between the 30 minutes the last debate broke out?

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I don't pretend to be superior to anyone but I don't think we need this many threads on the forum dedicated to Pierre Dorion discussion. Is 1 Pierre Dorion-specific thread not enough? Or should I avoid the entire forum because God knows when another thread will be hijacked so you guys can have yet another Senate hearing rehashing the same f***ing points like anything changed in between the 30 minutes the last debate broke out?
We are in the trade thread discussing trades that happened. Can you point me to all the other Dorion discussions going on in other threads, please? Is there a trade rumour or proposal you would like to discuss? I'd be happy to pivot the conversation to discuss your trade ideas if you'd like.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
We are in the trade thread discussing trades that happened. Can you point me to all the other Dorion discussions going on in other threads, please? Is there a trade rumour or proposal you would like to discuss? I'd be happy to pivot the conversation to discuss your trade ideas if you'd like.
Here's the Pierre Dorion thread so you can freely discuss all the bullshit moves he's made -

This is the trade rumours and proposals thread, not the go over trades from 5+ years ago thread. Maybe we could talk about guys who might - or need to - get moved? Maybe we could talk about targets to upgrade the bottom 6? Maybe we could talk about a trade that could shake up the core of the team? Maybe we could talk about options to unload Forsberg given his performance? Maybe we could talk about trade rumours surrounding other teams?

I don't care if you guys want to constantly re-hash Dorion's tenure but there's a thread that specifically has his name in the title. I don't want to respond to these posts but when I come to this thread to see if there's any inside info about what's going on with the team and the past 5 pages are talking about the Stone and Zibanejad trades, it's kind of f***ing absurd to me. I just don't know why so many threads on this forum need to turn into Dorion-centric discussions. Why else do we make specific threads for different topics?

Reactions: Samboni

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Here's the Pierre Dorion thread so you can freely discuss all the bullshit moves he's made -

This is the trade rumours and proposals thread, not the go over trades from 5+ years ago thread. Maybe we could talk about guys who might - or need to - get moved? Maybe we could talk about targets to upgrade the bottom 6? Maybe we could talk about a trade that could shake up the core of the team? Maybe we could talk about options to unload Forsberg given his performance? Maybe we could talk about trade rumours surrounding other teams?

I don't care if you guys want to constantly re-hash Dorion's tenure but there's a thread that specifically has his name in the title. I don't want to respond to these posts but when I come to this thread to see if there's any inside info about what's going on with the team and the past 5 pages are talking about the Stone and Zibanejad trades, it's kind of f***ing absurd to me. I just don't know why so many threads on this forum need to turn into Dorion-centric discussions. Why else do we make specific threads for different topics?
I asked you to point me to the other threads where Dorion was being discussed, not the Dorion thread. I also asked you to provide a pivot to the conversation if you didn't like it. You just post the same shit, telling people to stop discussing Dorion. Do you have a trade proposal or something you would like to discuss?

Is history absurd to you? You must just live in the now, and clearly you do care that people talk about Dorion, so why even say you don't care when clearly it triggers you?

As for Forsberg, is there a market for him at $2.75 million? Also, who is going to play backup for us, especially if Korpi goes down? Last time we put the crease in the hands of the rookies, it didn't go well playing with this defense. I think Forsberg is here for this year and would be easier to move next season or maybe this off-season if we can put some faith in one of our prospects, and I like our goalie prospects. We may find more value in moving one of the goalie prospects, which may be a route we need to explore to find a cheap young forward. Getting picks for Tarasenko and Kubalik if we are out of it will add some capital we can use later as we explore trades and the UFA market.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ok, if we are just going to chalk everything up to Melnyk, then ok, Dorion wasn't bad; it was all Melynk. Yet after Melynk died, Dorion still botched everything, so I simply can't chalk everything up to Melynk when the sample size without Melnyk was terrible. Look at the DeBrincat trade I thought that was great and a good gamble Then, after we lose DeBrincat, you find out Dorion asked Chicago to talk contract and they said no. You give them our first rd pick when they tell you no? What kind of idiot GM gives up that good of a pick when he is basically being told DeBrincat won't talk contract with us? The sample size with Melynk around is bad The sample size without Mellnyk was bad, plain and simple Dorion was bad.
They were both awful. Dorion was promoted because he was cheap and easy and a carry over from Murray. One definitely doesnt excuse the other even if Melnyk was the real life version of Mr. burns and Dorion was just Smithers.

Hopefully both are soon to be forgotten in Senators history, filed away forever as failures, and they can fix this broken organization after so many years of ineptitude with employees like Dorion that were obviously under qualified and in way over their heads, or just empty seats entirely. It was just bush league stuff basically, not a pro sports team level of competence.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I put the Positivity thread back on the 1st page for your convenience.

If you want to talk about trades, by all means, feel free to do so, or add a little more detail or specificity to your last post in which you started to mention the subject. What trades do you think the Senators will make in the future (either next few months, or even the more distant TDL)?

Regarding Forsberg, Edmonton would be a logical destination. But, if they move him, then I guess the team is running with Sogaard. I have no idea if the organization has confidence in that move.

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

It's a message board about the Ottawa Senators hockey team. Pierre Dorion ran the team for the last 7+ years until a month ago. There have been no player personnel transactions since his departure.

Because of this don't you think that it's unrealistic to ask people's thoughts on the state of the team not to turn to the guy who got us here?

And since the team is struggling with a roster built by Dorion under a coach repeatedly endorsed by Dorion isn't it reasonable that fans might still be a little sour about his missteps?

And finally... why the hell do you care and feel the need to berate people for talking about what they want? Don't like it? Don't read it. Feel it's a violation of the sites policies? Report it. Otherwise just move on.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
They were both awful. Dorion was promoted because he was cheap and easy and a carry over from Murray. One definitely doesnt excuse the other even if Melnyk was the real life version of Mr. burns and Dorion was just Smithers.

Hopefully both are soon to be forgotten in Senators history, filed away forever as failures, and they can fix this broken organization after so many years of ineptitude with employees like Dorion that were obviously under qualified and in way over their heads, or just empty seats entirely. It was just bush league stuff basically, not a pro sports team level of competence.
Yes, they were both awful. I will be honest; I don't want to keep discussing Dorion, and not because BankStreet is triggered by it. I was just giving my opinion on some of the moves that got us here. I think it's safe to say he was an awful GM, with and without Melnyk. Hopefully, with the pieces we have here now and the dead cap space from Murray, Ryan, and Del Zotto buyouts off the books next season, a new GM can help solidify this roster.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I put the Positivity thread back on the 1st page for your convenience.

If you want to talk about trades, by all means, feel free to do so, or add a little more detail or specificity to your last post in which you started to mention the subject. What trades do you think the Senators will make in the future (either next few months, or even the more distant TDL)?

Regarding Forsberg, Edmonton would be a logical destination. But, if they move him, then I guess the team is running with Sogaard. I have no idea if the organization has confidence in that move.
I don't think Edmonton wants to tank, so Forsberg is definitely not what they are looking for at this time. Korpisalo might be. I think they would want to trade us one of their boat anchors in return. Getting back their 1st round draft pick in 2024 as compensation might be worth it. :)

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I don't think Edmonton wants to tank, so Forsberg is definitely not what they are looking for at this time. Korpisalo might be. I think they would want to trade us one of their boat anchors in return. Getting back their 1st round draft pick in 2024 as compensation might be worth it. :)
Well I'm trying to accommodate the more delicate flowers in here, and a Forsberg trade seemed like something to try. I'm not sure the Oilers are going to get a decent starter from any team, but I suppose you never know, and stranger things have happened in the past.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well I'm trying to accommodate the more delicate flowers in here, and a Forsberg trade seemed like something to try. I'm not sure the Oilers are going to get a decent starter from any team, but I suppose you never know, and stranger things have happened in the past.
I get it. :)

It will cost the Oilers a lot to get a better goaltender because they would have to move something out such as their current bad goaltender and then add a sweetener to do so. Hence a 1st round pick. Interesting situation.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd much rather read some analysis of the trades and picks that got us here. Some thoughts on how the young core was forced to progress through the rebuild and how Dorion helped that process along than to read the arguing and criticism of posters and content because a small group that can't handle any criticism of the team get ruffled. There was a lot going on and wrong with this franchise for many years.. How we got here, where do we go from here in trying to fill in this roster with players that can form a team and play playoff style hockey are all good discussions.

Reactions: Dionysus

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Trading Forsberg is really not going to move the needle much. If the Sens make a trade it's got to be big to make a difference. I would suggest Batherson as he has good value as an offensive player. But at the same time you ask for a much better defensive forward back that can chip in 10-15 goals. Give me another player like Joseph right now and the Sens are better off both performance wise and salary wise. And I would consider dumping Norris as well but his value is pretty low right now so the return would be poor.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I get it. :)

It will cost the Oilers a lot to get a better goaltender because they would have to move something out such as their current bad goaltender and then add a sweetener to do so. Hence a 1st round pick. Interesting situation.
Yes, but the goalie they need to get rid of is Jack Campbell, and they would need to add a hell of a lot more than a first-round pick to take that anchor. Unfortunately, we need the cap space, and we cannot take him on. If there was a way to work a 3-way deal with a rebuilding team like Chicago that could get compensation for Campbell and we get something for Forsberg, that is the only way it would work.

Trading Forsberg is really not going to move the needle much. If the Sens make a trade it's got to be big to make a difference. I would suggest Batherson as he has good value as an offensive player. But at the same time you ask for a much better defensive forward back that can chip in 10-15 goals. Give me another player like Joseph right now and the Sens are better off both performance wise and salary wise. And I would consider dumping Norris as well but his value is pretty low right now so the return would be poor.
I disagree, and once again, Batherson is a contract we need; it's cheap, and he has shown he can be good. We do not have winger depth, but we do have C depth with Pinto and Greig. If there is a market to explore, it is Josh Norris, but once again, we are in a spot where we are selling low, and I don't even know if anyone will take that contract, never mind getting assets in return for it. If a piece is being moved for NHL talent, it is likely to be Pinto or Greig, unfortunately.

(Trigger warning) Oh and we can thank he who shall not be named for giving Norris that contract.

Reactions: Cosmix

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
It's a message board about the Ottawa Senators hockey team. Pierre Dorion ran the team for the last 7+ years until a month ago. There have been no player personnel transactions since his departure.

Because of this don't you think that it's unrealistic to ask people's thoughts on the state of the team not to turn to the guy who got us here?

And since the team is struggling with a roster built by Dorion under a coach repeatedly endorsed by Dorion isn't it reasonable that fans might still be a little sour about his missteps?

And finally... why the hell do you care and feel the need to berate people for talking about what they want? Don't like it? Don't read it. Feel it's a violation of the sites policies? Report it. Otherwise just move on.

IIRC there were still discussions about Muckler’s horrible drafts into the 2010s. Anyone expecting Dorion discussion to get brushed under the rug weeks after his firing needs a reality check.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I disagree, and once again, Batherson is a contract we need; it's cheap, and he has shown he can be good. We do not have winger depth, but we do have C depth with Pinto and Greig. If there is a market to explore, it is Josh Norris, but once again, we are in a spot where we are selling low, and I don't even know if anyone will take that contract, never mind getting assets in return for it. If a piece is being moved for NHL talent, it is likely to be Pinto or Greig, unfortunately.
We know what Batherson really is; a good offensive player that is one dimensional. Poor defensively, lackadaisical and unwilling to be physical. It's no coincidence that the worst plus minus's on the team last year and this year are himself and his linemates. What's the point putting up 25 goals and 40 assists if the cumulative total of the guys you play against are 40 and 50?
Give me another player like this year's Mathieu Joseph. He may score only ten goals but the guys across from him are only scoring five. And at $2 million less per year.
I do agree Norris is a candidate to go but not with that contract.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Looking back, the value for Chychrun was perfectly fine, but I have zero clue why the Sens were going after another soon to be expensive left D.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
We know what Batherson really is; a good offensive player that is one dimensional. Poor defensively, lackadaisical and unwilling to be physical. It's no coincidence that the worst plus minus's on the team last year and this year are himself and his linemates. What's the point putting up 25 goals and 40 assists if the cumulative total of the guys you play against are 40 and 50?
Give me another player like this year's Mathieu Joseph. He may score only ten goals but the guys across from him are only scoring five. And at $2 million less per year.
I do agree Norris is a candidate to go but not with that contract.
After we lose Tarasenko, we have no top six wingers if you trade Batherson. Defense can be taught; being able to score goals and put up points cannot be taught. If you move on from Batherson, we will be looking for a winger because we have no winger depth or prospects. I would prefer to see these players play under a new coach and new system before I make a knee-jerk trade.

Reactions: LiseL

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Looking back, the value for Chychrun was perfectly fine, but I have zero clue why the Sens were going after another soon to be expensive left D.
I think value wise its fine. With the help of some hindsight I think the timing is off. I also don't like giving up 2 high first rounders in back to back years . It looks premature. I prefer the Chychrun move to the DeBrincat one. I think I would have preferred to keep the picks at this point

Reactions: DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
After we lose Tarasenko, we have no top six wingers if you trade Batherson. Defense can be taught; being able to score goals and put up points cannot be taught. If you move on from Batherson, we will be looking for a winger because we have no winger depth or prospects. I would prefer to see these players play under a new coach and new system before I make a knee-jerk trade.
He's another Hoffman, granted with less speed and skill, but more size and vision. Hoffman had lots of big moments here and contributed to a winning team. No reason we can't squeeze some juice out of Bath when it counts. Guys like that can be fine, and valuable when worked in to a roster the right way.

That's kind of Dorion's MO. Give up valuable assets with long roads of control left to make a big trade for a player with uncertainty around the corner. Brassard, Duchene, DeBrincat, Chychrun all immediately come to mind. I'm sure there's more.

Reactions: gab6511

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
He's another Hoffman, granted with less speed and skill, but more size and vision. Hoffman had lots of big moments here and contributed to a winning team. No reason we can't squeeze some juice out of Bath when it counts. Guys like that can be fine, and valuable when worked in to a roster the right way.
I would argue he is more physical, and he wasn't always terrible defensively. It seems the entire team is terrible on the defensive end right now, so I find it hard to single him out for that. I would prefer to see him in a new system with a new coach before I trade him and his good contract for cents on the dollar right now. Also, we have no wingers to replace him with, so if we trade him, we will be looking for a winger to score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad