Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
#1 for me is signing Mark Stone to a 1-year contract, walking him to UFA, then trading him at the deadline for cents on the dollar and saying, "it's my proudest day as a GM."

Ah, so many good memories & so much to choose from LOL.
You guys are both wrong imo. The worst one was the first one. Trading Zibanejad basically tanked their center position long term and helped make the rebuild seem a lot more necessary than it would have been otherwise. Then they tried to replace him with a bad trade for Duchene a year later. It was likely forced by Melnyk refusing to give him his next contract, but he was our number 1 center of the future according to Dorion like a week prior to that trade.

Reactions: DrEasy

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
You guys are both wrong imo. The worst one was the first one. Trading Zibanejad basically tanked their center position long term and helped make the rebuild seem a lot more necessary than it would have been otherwise. Then they tried to replace him with a bad trade for Duchene a year later. It was likely forced by Melnyk refusing to give him his next contract, but he was our number 1 center of the future according to Dorion like a week prior to that trade.
We weren't picking the worst one; we were picking our favourites. Zibanejad and 2nd is easily by far the worst.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yes, the Zibanejad trade is a beauty (beautiful in a devastating kind of way) as well, but I eliminated it because I think that was driven by Melnyk's desire to reduce the (upcoming) payroll.

For the same reason, I didn't mention Stepan for a 2nd because Stepan's AAV was higher than his salary. Paying a 2nd for a cap dump was obviously not good. The Yotes probably saw Dorion and the Senators coming from miles away and prepared a special deal just for Pierre though.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So the Canucks trade Beauvillier to the Hawks for a 5th and get the Hawks to take all of his salary. Obviously the Hawks needed a warm body veteran forward given recent developments. We could have sent them Kubalik, but obviously we were asleep at the switch...
Typical of Staios. We will probably have attach a pick to unload someone. Brutal asset management.

Reactions: Ouroboros

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So the Canucks trade Beauvillier to the Hawks for a 5th and get the Hawks to take all of his salary. Obviously the Hawks needed a warm body veteran forward given recent developments. We could have sent them Kubalik, but obviously we were asleep at the switch...
Could be that the Canucks actually wanted bauvillier

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We weren't picking the worst one; we were picking our favourites. Zibanejad and 2nd is easily by far the worst.
Ha well then, I'll show myself out.

As far as sound bites go, I don't think anything will ever beat Nick Rutkowski live on air telling us that Ottawa Senators fans should be excited (comforted?, cant remember exact phrasing) that there is a salary cap floor the team is required to spend to. And as if that wasn't absurd enough in itself, they went out and figured out a way to spend well below said cap floor.
Yes, the Zibanejad trade is a beauty (beautiful in a devastating kind of way) as well, but I eliminated it because I think that was driven by Melnyk's desire to reduce the (upcoming) payroll.

For the same reason, I didn't mention Stepan for a 2nd because Stepan's AAV was higher than his salary. Paying a 2nd for a cap dump was obviously not good. The Yotes probably saw Dorion and the Senators coming from miles away and prepared a special deal just for Pierre though.
That's the caveat as Melnyk was likely heavily involved in that (and others). I just see it as the beginning of them being able to at least moderately justify a need to rebuild since they traded away a cornerstone piece in arguably the most important position. The center position became even more unstable only a year later with Duchene and his soon to expire contract coming in for Turris ++++++.

I thought the Stepan thing was somewhat debunked as we didn't actually need the higher cap hit for any reason that year? Seemed like Dorion just wanted Stepan for a 2nd, but I could be wrong.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

We don't need to dump anyone right now.

Decent bet that when Pinto's suspension is up and we don't have any players on LTIR that there will be other teams with players out with injury for the rest of the year that would be willing to take on Kubalik for free.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For Chabot's return, Greig and Kastelic can go on LTIR, or we can send down Highmore and MacEwen if Grieg and or Kastelic are ready.

when it comes time to sign Pinto, well be able to make room for up to around 800k by sending down Chartier, a little more if we opt to send down Kastelic. This however leaves us with no extra at fwd. We could also send down JBD and make callups on an as needed basis

Trading Kubalik right now would likely mean calling up Jarventie who imo isn't ready.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

As far as sound bites go, I don't think anything will ever beat Nick Rutkowski live on air telling us that Ottawa Senators fans should be excited (comforted?, cant remember exact phrasing) that there is a salary cap floor the team is required to spend to. And as if that wasn't absurd enough in itself, they went out and figured out a way to spend well below said cap floor.

That's the caveat as Melnyk was likely heavily involved in that (and others). I just see it as the beginning of them being able to at least moderately justify a need to rebuild since they traded away a cornerstone piece in arguably the most important position. The center position became even more unstable only a year later with Duchene and his soon to expire contract coming in for Turris ++++++.

I thought the Stepan thing was somewhat debunked as we didn't actually need the higher cap hit for any reason that year? Seemed like Dorion just wanted Stepan for a 2nd, but I could be wrong.
You might be right about the bolded. I don't remember everything in general or this trade specifically.

There's so much to choose from when it comes to bad Dorion trades. I'd think we could all agree to that.

It was always hard to know the motivation and whether Melnyk's goal to reduce payroll was behind some of them. I just try to be objective and fair when it comes to that even though its hard to know.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I wonder if Ottawa would be in on Elias Lindholm (if he'd agree to an extension here).

I don't know if Calgary wants to trade him for purely futures, and we could offer a cost-controlled player like Drake Batherson as the main piece in the package.

Giroux is 35 and Tarasenko will be a one year deal here... we're going to need more offensive talent moving forward. Cap space won't be that big of an issue in the next few seasons.

Lindholm can play RW, or it gives you flexibility to shift Norris to LW.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

The most disgusting part of our rebuild was that we never utilized our cap space to acquire actual assets. Instead, we traded assets to acquire players with a higher cap hit than salary. Then you come on here and have the Dorion defenders tell you that you are overreacting.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You might be right about the bolded. I don't remember everything in general or this trade specifically.

There's so much to choose from when it comes to bad Dorion trades. I'd think we could all agree to that.

It was always hard to know the motivation and whether Melnyk's goal to reduce payroll was behind some of them. I just try to be objective and fair when it comes to that even though its hard to know.
Yes, very hard to know just how far the Melnyk reach went, but indications are it was very deep. The man was a maniac who surely made Dorion's job way more difficult, and likely at times full on dictated what was going to happen in hockey ops.

It's kind of funny cuz I remember Eugene hopping on radio and trying to talk hockey and he came off like a 10 year old that watches 5 games a year. Just not the guy you want involved.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The most disgusting part of our rebuild was that we never utilized our cap space to acquire actual assets. Instead, we traded assets to acquire players with a higher cap hit than salary. Then you come on here and have the Dorion defenders tell you that you are overreacting.
At times, there was so much devotion to it that it made me question my own sanity. It's nice to come out the other end with some vindication, especially with regard to Melnyk, but it's a shame it's our hockey team that suffers.

Reactions: Bileur

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
During our rebuild we traded second round picks for Matt Murray and Derek stepan

Reactions: Bileur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We don't need to dump anyone right now.

Decent bet that when Pinto's suspension is up and we don't have any players on LTIR that there will be other teams with players out with injury for the rest of the year that would be willing to take on Kubalik for free.
Is the only way they get under when they bring back Chabot is if they retroactively place Grieg and Kastelic on the LTIR?

For Chabot's return, Greig and Kastelic can go on LTIR, or we can send down Highmore and MacEwen if Grieg and or Kastelic are ready.

when it comes time to sign Pinto, well be able to make room for up to around 800k by sending down Chartier, a little more if we opt to send down Kastelic. This however leaves us with no extra at fwd. We could also send down JBD and make callups on an as needed basis

Trading Kubalik right now would likely mean calling up Jarventie who imo isn't ready.
Well they cant because he will get picked up. So no thats not an option to lose him for nothing.

Jarventie in a winger role is a very different thing than Jarventie in a center role.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well they cant because he will get picked up. So no thats not an option to lose him for nothing.

Jarventie in a winger role is a very different thing than Jarventie in a center role.
JBD is still waiver exempt until after the game on Dec 12th, I believe. If I recall, he has 9 games from the date he was placed on the roster and taken of emergency loan status.

I didn't really like Jarventie as a winger, tbh, but maybe.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

At times, there was so much devotion to it that it made me question my own sanity. It's nice to come out the other end with some vindication, especially with regard to Melnyk, but it's a shame it's our hockey team that suffers.
Its one thing to have a different opinion (i.e., you can like some of Dorion's moves), but the lectures about being a bad fan or characterizations that people had personality flaws (and/or were dumb) because they discussed some bad moves that were made was really over the top and completely unnecessary. Of course, that won't change even with all that has happened. They'll keep on lecturing and pretending they are the sharpest knives in the drawer.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I never questioned my sanity once. Playing poker for a living at all stakes, you run into so many different characters. If I let dumb opinions affect me, I'd go insane.
During our rebuild we traded second round picks for Matt Murray and Derek stepan
Ya, man, you don't need to tell me; I am pretty sure I was the first to call those moronic. The Murray one I could have lived with even though he was awful and Pittsburgh had zero leverage. A good GM would have gotten him for just a third or something, but I won't argue that it's the immediate contract that got me; I could not believe it.
Its one thing to have a different opinion (i.e., you can like some of Dorion's moves), but the lectures about being a bad fan or characterizations that people had personality flaws (and/or were dumb) because they discussed some bad moves that were made was really over the top and completely unnecessary. Of course, that won't change even with all that has happened. They'll keep on lecturing and pretending they are the sharpest knives in the drawer.
Some posters won't admit they are or were wrong. They will still spin it in a way to make you look like you were or are in the wrong. If you happen to notice, I don't even bother engaging with those types. I admit when I am wrong, and I clarify that something is my opinion when it's my opinion, not fact. I am ok with being wrong; it usually means I learned something in the process, and I don't feel stupid or embarrassed.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I never questioned my sanity once. Playing poker for a living at all stakes, you run into so many different characters. If I let dumb opinions affect me, I'd go insane.

Some posters won't admit they are or were wrong. They will still spin it in a way to make you look like you were or are in the wrong. If you happen to notice, I don't even bother engaging with those types. I admit when I am wrong, and I clarify that something is my opinion when it's my opinion, not fact. I am ok with being wrong; it usually means I learned something in the process, and I don't feel stupid or embarrassed.
Ya you guys get it. At some point I moved on from those debates, and in hindsight, I wish I'd done that a heck of a lot sooner.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
No, we may not, but I can't see a team taking a flyer on someone who had their contract terminated for conduct that is unacceptable, so until we know what the issue was, I don't think Perry is in the cards for us or anyone for that matter.

Apparently he put a curse on the Cubs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad