Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yes, like I have said, Ottawa is in a unique position where we have a good core now, an owner with money, we are out east, which is likely where Edmonton would prefer to trade him, and we have players like Norris, Batherson, Chabot, and Pinto/Greig we can trade in a package for him. Will Edmonton entertain a package around those players? I don't know, but if they do, we should do it. I don't think there's a 0% chance Ottawa could trade for Draisaitl like it would have been years ago, is all I am saying.

Also we haven't played a game all week so I am bored
Yeah I’m bored too my man, way to many gaps to get posting flow lol

I would trade for him as well if we could keep him, and I agree that we have the assets to make a compelling deal.

I’d just prefer if we were able to pay a rental price and sign him after, obviously :)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You said 'how about trading for a player that has won something'. Not sure how you expect me to interpret that. I read your argument about not paying an individual too much. They get him for two years at 8.5 million thats the best contract in hockey then I explained the dollars in dollars out. You can blanket statement that you cant pay players that much but with Ottawa's salary structure and the players they would be losing they would be coming out almost even if they pay him 13 million. I completely understood your point and answered it. You choose not to deal with it and said I didnt read your point. Which is very strange considering the detail I went to in my response.

If you dont think that Draisaitl would help this team win the final prize especially at 8.5 million well I am not sure what to tell you.
We get him this year and next. Then he needs to re-up. Then that massive deal kicks in.

Yes he has a great contract right now. Can we win this season or next with him? And possibly only this season because if he won't re-sign you'd think we wouldn't walk him to free agency.

Edmonton hasn't won. Too thin.

I wouldn't do it. I'd maybe consider looking at him as a Ufa. But nice to see we're firmly on the side of moving Chabot

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Draisaitl will get traded to Florida with Jack Campbell and a 2026 6th Round pick for a package of Verhaeghe, Lundell, Knight, Samoskevich, and a conditional 2026 1st Round pick (becomes a 2027 unprotected 1st if the Canadiens get the 2026 pick, the 2026 pick is top 2 protected).

Draisaitl will come with an 8 year extension at 12M per with signing bonuses and a NMC.

Florida has 50.6M in cap space when the Draisaitl extension will kick in. So while they need to use that on other players, they would have the flexibility to sign that extension and make it work. They also move money out by not having to give Verhaeghe his raise.

I wouldn't expect Edmonton to get anywhere close to equal value, or to get a comparable star. They will get a big package deal with lots of different pieces that would give them one last chance to re-tool on the fly with McDavid before he might also inform them he won't stay after his contract. But everybody will say the Draisaitl package was a bad return.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Draisaitl will get traded to Florida with Jack Campbell and a 2026 6th Round pick for a package of Verhaeghe, Lundell, Knight, Samoskevich, and a conditional 2026 1st Round pick (becomes a 2027 unprotected 1st if the Canadiens get the 2026 pick, the 2026 pick is top 2 protected).

Draisaitl will come with an 8 year extension at 12M per with signing bonuses and a NMC.

Florida has 50.6M in cap space when the Draisaitl extension will kick in. So while they need to use that on other players, they would have the flexibility to sign that extension and make it work. They also move money out by not having to give Verhaeghe his raise.

I wouldn't expect Edmonton to get anywhere close to equal value, or to get a comparable star. They will get a big package deal with lots of different pieces that would give them one last chance to re-tool on the fly with McDavid before he might also inform them he won't stay after his contract. But everybody will say the Draisaitl package was a bad return.
What do the Canadiens have to do with anything?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We get him this year and next. Then he needs to re-up. Then that massive deal kicks in.

Yes he has a great contract right now. Can we win this season or next with him? And possibly only this season because if he won't re-sign you'd think we wouldn't walk him to free agency.

Edmonton hasn't won. Too thin.

I wouldn't do it. I'd maybe consider looking at him as a Ufa. But nice to see we're firmly on the side of moving Chabot
You wouldn't do it eh. Neither would Edmonton so everyone's happy I guess. If you want to watch this group accomplish nothing when they have the option of adding a top 5 player in the world. Sure. I am not of the same opinion.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Sens never win the division in this scenario. Hell they won't even make the playoffs at this rate whether this happens or not.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Tarasenko and Kubalik can’t return next year. Traded or walk at the end of this year.
Greig and Pinto replace them.
Crookshank and reindhardt ready for bottom 6. Ostapchuk and Boucher next.

On the d side…Not sure how chabot stays when we need to sign chychrun. Hope that can work somehow but realistically might have to trade chabot for a 4mil middle pair guy.
OR…..

Have to figure out JBD/Kleven/Guenette/Brannstrom
Is the D good enough with those 4 and chychrun, Sanderson, zub if chabot is traded? Probably not but maybe if a couple guys take big steps and one can play with chychrun.

Hamonic can be moved at the end of the year if possible.

Could give this a shot if chabot is traded for a 1st rounder.

Sanderson-Zub
Chychrun-JBD/Kleven
Brannstrom/Kleven-JBD/Kleven/Guenette

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Tarasenko and Kubalik can’t return next year. Traded or walk at the end of this year.
Greig and Pinto replace them.
Crookshank and reindhardt ready for bottom 6. Ostapchuk and Boucher next.

On the d side…Not sure how chabot stays when we need to sign chychrun. Hope that can work somehow but realistically might have to trade chabot for a 4mil middle pair guy.
OR…..

Have to figure out JBD/Kleven/Guenette/Brannstrom
Is the D good enough with those 4 and chychrun, Sanderson, zub if chabot is traded? Probably not but maybe if a couple guys take big steps and one can play with chychrun.

Hamonic can be moved at the end of the year if possible.

Could give this a shot if chabot is traded for a 1st rounder.

Sanderson-Zub
Chychrun-JBD/Kleven
Brannstrom/Kleven-JBD/Kleven/Guenette
Hamonic will not be traded.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Everybody but McDavid/Draisaitl/1st is available from Edmonton. They apparently want to re-tool.

What about re-acquiring Cody Ceci? He's on a good contract with only 1.5 years of term left. He would be a good RHD to bridge us into finding whatever the solution is going to be. He's been nowhere near as bad as the myths about him perpetuate. He's perfectly fine slotted in as the the 4-5 with Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun, and Zub.

The only problem is, it would be difficult to come up with a trade that works cap wise. Sens aren't really in a position to give up draft picks.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Everybody but McDavid/Draisaitl/1st is available from Edmonton. They apparently want to re-tool.

What about re-acquiring Cody Ceci? He's on a good contract with only 1.5 years of term left. He would be a good RHD to bridge us into finding whatever the solution is going to be. He's been nowhere near as bad as the myths about him perpetuate. He's perfectly fine slotted in as the the 4-5 with Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun, and Zub.

The only problem is, it would be difficult to come up with a trade that works cap wise. Sens aren't really in a position to give up draft picks.

I don’t think Ceci is enough of an upgrade over Hamonic/JBD to justify paying the increase in salary and making the necessary moves to free up cap space.

If we’re trading for another top 4 D, I think it would have to come with moving out Chabot which I don’t think the sens are ready to do or should do before seeing how another coach could help him.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

No way to ceci. That party is over.
Can we get nurse at 95% retained?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Ceci is not very good so no to him

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
No way to ceci. That party is over.
Can we get nurse at 95% retained?

A really good version of Cody Ceci is what the Senators need. I would settle for the Cody Ceci version of Cody Ceci in the right trade. He is nowhere near as bad as people make him out to be. There is a bias against defenseman who play the shutdown role but aren't a superstar, because no one looks good doing an average or above average job in tough defensive assignments.

He is not a 25 minute a night shutdown defenseman like Boucher used him as here. He would fit right in playing 19-20 minutes a night and pushing Hamonic down to the bottom pair. It would give the Senators more flexibility in how they choose to use Zub as well.

Ceci is on a good contract for what he brings, and his term is perfect for the situation. There is a reason he keeps finding jobs in spite of the lolCeci memes.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Pinto's cap isn't prorated, it's the opposite. His cap hit will be higher than what his actual AAV is this season. If he signs at 2.5 in Jan his cap hit will be ~3.75. If it's just for 1.0, the cap hit is ~1.5
I know that's what happened with Nylander but that situation was totally different. First, he sat out. His deadline was Dec 1st because he was a 10.2(a) RFA.

Pinto is a 10.2(c) RFA so the Dec 1st deadline doesn't apply. I read on the Pinto thread that suspensions for off-ice activities do not count against the cap. I take this to mean that the cap would not double when he returns as he will not be paid for 41 games of that contract. So if he signs a one year contract for an amount similar to one of the AHL call-ups, then wouldn't the cap hit be the amount of the contract and not 1.5% of the contract? That was my understanding after reading the Pinto thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not promoting the idea of bringing back Cody Ceci but he is underrated here

Since 2021-22 joining the Oilers, he has the same ES xGA/60 as Artem Zub : 2.59

His xGF% is better though at 54.22 (vs 49.95 for Zub)

Same kind of deployment and role, similar minutes, same offensive production

He had really good defensive metrics for the Penguins in 2019-20

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
The Tarasenko signing put the team in the cap mess it is in today. Dorion signed a player (as good as he is) who had next to no other options, with budget he didn't have. If he had offered him the approx $3m he had to spend, you never know what would have happened. It might have been the only offer he had as most UFAs had landed and a lot of teams had locked in their roster. But we sure know what happened when he signed him to the $5m. In my opinion, shrewd would not apply in this case.
I remember reading somewhere that Tank had been offered a multi-year deal at $3.5m from Carolina, which he refused. There were no takers for $5m+ on a multi-year deal so he circled back to Ottawa. It seems Ottawa was the only one with an offer that started with a 5. So maybe if he's offered a multi-year deal at that number, he'll stay. I don't think he'd accept a $3m deal from anybody.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
There were certain consolations made when they negotiated the suspension, like it starting from game 1 of the season despite Pinto being unsigned. Normally, suspensions only start once a player is signed.

The reason the rule with the larger cap hit when an RFA signs later in the season is in place is to prevent teams from not signing players in order to create additional cap space by exploiting a prorated cap hit.

With the above in mind, it wouldn't surprise me if they were able to negotiate some sort of deal where Pinto's cap hit can come in at the actual prorated number. Because otherwise, they are basically suspending him for the full season since it looked at the time of the suspension that it would be unlikely that the Senators could clear up enough space to sign him 41 games in if the cap hit prorates.

Now that the Senators are last in the division, maybe that won't matter because they might consider selling off a few players who they otherwise would have kept. Tarasenko (NMC), Kubalik, Brannstrom, etc.

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There were certain consolations made when they negotiated the suspension, like it starting from game 1 of the season despite Pinto being unsigned. Normally, suspensions only start once a player is signed.

The reason the rule with the larger cap hit when an RFA signs later in the season is in place is to prevent teams from not signing players in order to create additional cap space by exploiting a prorated cap hit.

With the above in mind, it wouldn't surprise me if they were able to negotiate some sort of deal where Pinto's cap hit can come in at the actual prorated number. Because otherwise, they are basically suspending him for the full season since it looked at the time of the suspension that it would be unlikely that the Senators could clear up enough space to sign him 41 games in if the cap hit prorates.

Now that the Senators are last in the division, maybe that won't matter because they might consider selling off a few players who they otherwise would have kept. Tarasenko (NMC), Kubalik, Brannstrom, etc.
The larger cap hit rule for guys signed later in the season seems to only apply for multi year deals and potentially one year deals with signing bonuses as far as I can tell. There are a few examples, like Galchenyuk when he signed with Colorado last year, and Athanasiou in 2017, both had cap hits equal to the contract value.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I know we prob can't afford him, but wouldn't mind a Corey perry on the 4th line 🤔🤔🤔 if he's being dumped by Chicago
We really need to be harder to play against aka le sandpaper.
... that and a competent defense/// strong goaltending

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not promoting the idea of bringing back Cody Ceci but he is underrated here

Since 2021-22 joining the Oilers, he has the same ES xGA/60 as Artem Zub : 2.59

His xGF% is better though at 54.22 (vs 49.95 for Zub)

Same kind of deployment and role, similar minutes, same offensive production

He had really good defensive metrics for the Penguins in 2019-20
I’ll only take ceci if DJ promises to say something like “one of the best coaches ever said if you like doughty you’re gonna love ceci. So kudos to staios for going out and getting a guy like him”

Schmautz11

Oct 5, 2007
I remember reading somewhere that Tank had been offered a multi-year deal at $3.5m from Carolina, which he refused. There were no takers for $5m+ on a multi-year deal so he circled back to Ottawa. It seems Ottawa was the only one with an offer that started with a 5. So maybe if he's offered a multi-year deal at that number, he'll stay. I don't think he'd accept a $3m deal from anybody.
I agree with your logic. He probably wouldn't have signed a deal for $3. But that is all the Sens / Dorion had to offer at the time. Totally different conversation this summer, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad