Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
LOL people thinking we can get Leon
I mean, we have actual NHL players; we could trade for him and help Edmonton acquire depth to help McDavid, like Norris, Batherson, Pinto/Greig, etc. Obviously very unlikely, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Again, I would only send a monster package for him with an extension; I would not pay a rental price and end up with a DeBrincat situation again. It makes no sense to trade for him now only to find out he wants to go to UFA, and we have to trade him or lose him for nothing because he won't sign here. In the off-season, if Edmonton cannot re-sign him and we can discuss an extension, that's when we would do it.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I understand what you're saying but I think superstar contracts are a root cause of the lack of balance
Yeah, I was agreeing with you but adding my theory on why superstars are not necessarily the answer.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The problem with Draisitl is that he is likely looking at 13M after next year. Does Draisitl make us a SC Contender this year probably not, next year maybe but huge risk.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Draisaitl is 3rd all time in NHL playoff PPG. Only two players have better. Guess who. Mario and Wayne. To blame him for the Oilers not going all the way (despite losing to much better teams top to bottom the last two years who went on to win) is just a wild hill to die on. He also has done it injured.

If the sens had him at the expense of Chabot and one of Norris or Batherson they would be a top 5 team in the league
Makes me wonder if they even watched. As much as Edmonton has collapsed, they lost to the cup champs twice and Draisaitl almost dragged them kicking and screaming across the finish line. All with shit goaltending.

Reactions: LiseL

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Next year he may have to be traded at the TDL .. Too much risk; Not a necessary move... Go get Hyman instead

Chabot to EDM for Hyman and Ceci.

5b05e6242960a5dac6bc931b83447b09.gif

:sarcasm:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Next year he may have to be traded at the TDL .. Too much risk; Not a necessary move... Go get Hyman instead
Why would Edmonton trade the best winger they have when they are obviously going to keep McDavid? Drai is the only piece that makes sense for them to move to acquire pieces to really fill and bolster their roster, hence why it's being talked about. That nurse contract just killed that team; add in Campbell and that James Neal buyout on the books for $2 million for another year after this, and it's just oof city.

Honestly, if Edmonton is going to trade a core piece, it's very likely to be Drai; it will get them the pieces they need to stay competitive and raise the chances of being able to keep McDavid. That said, they could just keep Drai if he wants to stay and find a way to make it work. So in the off-season, if they are able to extend Drai, I would definitely be all over trying to acquire Hyman, but I doubt they would ever move him.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Why would Edmonton trade the best winger they have when they are obviously going to keep McDavid? Drai is the only piece that makes sense for them to move to acquire pieces to really fill and bolster their roster, hence why it's being talked about. That nurse contract just killed that team; add in Campbell and that James Neal buyout on the books for $2 million for another year after this, and it's just oof city.

Honestly, if Edmonton is going to trade a core piece, it's very likely to be Drai; it will get them the pieces they need to stay competitive and raise the chances of being able to keep McDavid. That said, they could just keep Drai if he wants to stay and find a way to make it work. So in the off-season, if they are able to extend Drai, I would definitely be all over trying to acquire Hyman, but I doubt they would ever move him.

RNH would be another possibility for them to move.

Not sure how much value he has though.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
RNH would be another possibility for them to move.

Not sure how much value he has though.
These guys are signed long-term on good contracts, especially Hyman, so it makes no sense for them to move since that is what they need. Drai is a UFA after next season, so if in the off-season he says, "I am not signing here" or the classic "we can talk contract later," they have no choice but to move him. If the team acquiring him can lock him up, Edmonton can and will receive a haul for him.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

One thing you are going to have to understand 2Chainz... I don't have all the answers.. I thought we were doing "outlandish trade Christmas wishes"

I haven't been following , I didn't know they were likely to trade Draisaitl .

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
One thing you are going to have to understand 2Chainz... I don't have all the answers.. I thought we were doing "outlandish trade Christmas wishes"

I haven't been following , I didn't know they were likely to trade Draisaitl .
Draisaitl is the one with a contract up next season. Hyman is locked up in a nice contract for the next four years after this one. I am not saying they are likely to trade Draisaitl; I am saying if he does not want to sign an extension this off-season, they will have no choice but to trade him. Either in the off-season or at the deadline next year. Trading him in the off-season to a team that gets to extend him will yield Edmonton the best possible return.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Draisaitl is the one with a contract up next season. Hyman is locked up to a nice contract for the next four years after this one. I am not saying they are likely to trade Draisaitl I am saying if he does not want to sign an extension this off-season they will have no choice but to trade him. Either in the off-season or at the deadline next year.
:cool::thumbu: yah I know.

What kind of haul do you think the Oilers get for Draisaitl this summer if they trade him.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
:cool::thumbu: yah I know.

What kind of haul do you think the Oilers get for Draisaitl this summer if they trade him.
A Nick Paul package HUGE. Whatever they want. Edmonton is in a weird spot because they wouldn't be trading Draisaitl for futures, which are often what we see superstars traded for in these scenarios. I know it is unlikely we trade for him, but Ottawa is in a unique position now where we have good players, we can trade for him, we have an owner with money now, and we have a good core. Obviously, like I said before, Edmonton would start the conversation with at least one of Stutzle, Tkachuk, or Sanderson, which would probably be a no from us, so it is unlikely we are able to acquire him, but it is fun to think about. I would assume they want good players to fill a 2nd line and good dmen/dman + some cost-controlled talent more than they want 1st rd picks from a team that now has Draisaitl on it.

Again, this is a scenario where Draisaitl extends to the team acquiring him. If he is traded as a rental, his price is obviously much less, like a good prospect(s) 1st rd pick + good player.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Everyone knows we aren't trading for Drai. This is, however, the proposal/trade thread, so people are discussing a hypothetical situation. Due to Edmonton's recent struggles, the possibility of being able to acquire him has gone up. Being an east coast team with some assets that theoretically could work, I don't see why we should not entertain the idea.

"If he wants to play for Staois or whomever, he will have to come here at UFA."

Edmonton won't let him walk to UFA; he will be traded if he doesn't re-sign. Also, it will likely be next off-season when a team can discuss an extension before giving up the world for him. Your UFA scenario is less likely to happen than Ottawa trading for him.

Obviously, if Drai is hell-bent on going to UFA, he will be traded as a rental. I would only trade a huge package like the Nick Paul package if it came with an extension; trading for Drai as a rental would not be a great move for us.
Yes, I understand people were sharing their opinions on the subject, turns out I was as well!

No, Edmonton won’t let him walk, but it’s up to him if he wants to be traded as a pending UFA or commit to a long term deal with suitors.

Yes he could discuss extensions etc, but I think you missed my point. If he wants to actually win championships, his best bet would be to use that time to talk extensions if he wants to see what teams are willing to offer, or not, and go to the UFA market.

The point being that whatever team he would end up signing with would be a strong group if they didn’t have to give up the king’s ransom it would take to trade for him. With a trade you actively take away a huge part of the team you’re joining, it’s counterproductive to winning.

Some guys want to test UFA, some don’t. We’ll see how it pans out in the end because a lot of times the long term money secured is priority one, winning is secondary.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Yes, I understand people were sharing their opinions on the subject, turns out I was as well!

No, Edmonton won’t let him walk, but it’s up to him if he wants to be traded as a pending UFA or commit to a long term deal with suitors.

Yes he could discuss extensions etc, but I think you missed my point. If he wants to actually win championships, his best bet would be to use that time to talk extensions if he wants to see what teams are willing to offer, or not, and go to the UFA market.

The point being that whatever team he would end up signing with would be a strong group if they didn’t have to give up the king’s ransom it would take to trade for him. With a trade you actively take away a huge part of the team you’re joining, it’s counterproductive to winning.

Some guys want to test UFA, some don’t. We’ll see how it pans out in the end because a lot of times the long term money secured is priority one, winning is secondary.
Yes, like I have said, Ottawa is in a unique position where we have a good core now, an owner with money, we are out east, which is likely where Edmonton would prefer to trade him, and we have players like Norris, Batherson, Chabot, and Pinto/Greig we can trade in a package for him. Will Edmonton entertain a package around those players? I don't know, but if they do, we should do it. I don't think there's a 0% chance Ottawa could trade for Draisaitl like it would have been years ago, is all I am saying.

Also we haven't played a game all week so I am bored

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad