Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Everyone needs to just accept that we bought Tarasenko for 1 year, he won’t be re-signing unless he has a terrible year in which case why would we want him.
If Ottawa wants Tarasenk to come back next yr & he is willing to come back they could certainly afford to give him a raise next yr to bring him back. They could for example give him Kubalik's money or part of it should be enough for a 31 yr old whose skillset is slowly diminishing. We also don't know how much longer Giroux will play or if he will retire after his contract is over next season. Wouldn't hurt to keep a pt producer like Tarasenko for a couple more yrs given we don't really have good pt producers in the system.

It’s pretty clear he didn’t want to sign here until all his other options dried up
If all his other options dried up this yr what changes from next yr? He seems to be enjoying it here this yr he might surprise us & want to stay especially if he gets a little more money. Besides he isn't getting any younger & this team is on the rise.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would wait a few more months before signing Tarasenko. He's been amazing so far, but we've seen enough examples of guys playing well for a short time, get a contract, and fade. Not to mention we still need a GM.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
My thoughts from the moment we got Chychrun was move Chabot for a Zub or a better Zub. 5 AAV RD. If you can find one. Big. Physical. Pair the 2 stay at home RDs with the two PMD LDs and put the 3 AAV saved to use elsewhere.

I probably would have done it last summer with the idea of needing the cap for Pinto.

Where we are now, I'd want to know the Chychrun is staying.

It has more to do with the makeup of the team.

We can debate whether having Chabot on the PP over Chychrun or Sanderson is an upgrade or a sideways move or a downgrade. But it's at least a discussion with multiple points of view. Whatever one's view, running the PP with Chychrun and Sanderson wouldn't be a huge loss.

Then you have to look at overall balance. Maybe one of those LD becomes good on the right side. Maybe not. But if I could get a quality defensive defenceman they are cheaper than guys that post points. So I think you most likely could get a better balance in your pairs, be equal or better defensively, not lose anything on the PP and have 3M in cap space

I get it. Chabot is a pretty good player. But I think given what we've got, the play is moving him.
Fair enough. Personally I don’t view Chychrun as better than Chabot as an overall player, though I love having both for sure.

I think Chabot is currently our best creative player in the O zone, best transition forward, and fastest player on D. Too many attributes to give away for a brute to simply stabilize on the right.

I bet a smart coach plays Sandy on the right side with Chabby or Chych, and Zub with the other. We can run Kleven and JBD on the bottom pairing eventually as they continue to develop.

The problem with trying to trade for a good RD is that you have to over pay for the talent level because of position.

I think Sandy is a guy who is smart enough, elusive enough, and positionally sound enough to be that guy. Let Sandy transition the puck on one pair, and Chabby on the other pair and we’re good.

The problem with saving money to allocate elsewhere is that it isn’t an asset unless you find a way to use it effectively.

Spending more on bottom of the roster players who don’t play many minutes and don’t cost much for what they bring is a waste when we already have enough cap space for those players, and we have kids that need the opportunities we have and look to have the potential to fill those spots well, cheaply.

Downgrading on talent for position also seems like downgrading the team, when one of the LD guys should be able to mature at RD.

Throw in that Chabby is a core player and associate captains of the team and you’re looking at making a move that downgrades the team in several areas on and off the ice to free up money for no reason.

Gotta try the simplest things first, and at the end of the day should really try a new coaching staff as well before trading away a player of Chabot’s calibre for a guy like Larsson as an example.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If Ottawa wants Tarasenk to come back next yr & he is willing to come back they could certainly afford to give him a raise next yr to bring him back. They could for example give him Kubalik's money or part of it should be enough for a 31 yr old whose skillset is slowly diminishing. We also don't know how much longer Giroux will play or if he will retire after his contract is over next season. Wouldn't hurt to keep a pt producer like Tarasenko for a couple more yrs given we don't really have good pt producers in the system.

If all his other options dried up this yr what changes from next yr? He seems to be enjoying it here this yr he might surprise us & want to stay especially if he gets a little more money. Besides he isn't getting any younger & this team is on the rise.
In most cases watch what the family does. This wasn’t a mid season trade.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Fair enough. Personally I don’t view Chychrun as better than Chabot as an overall player, though I love having both for sure.

I think Chabot is currently our best creative player in the O zone, best transition forward, and fastest player on D. Too many attributes to give away for a brute to simply stabilize on the right.

I bet a smart coach plays Sandy on the right side with Chabby or Chych, and Zub with the other. We can run Kleven and JBD on the bottom pairing eventually as they continue to develop.

The problem with trying to trade for a good RD is that you have to over pay for the talent level because of position.

I think Sandy is a guy who is smart enough, elusive enough, and positionally sound enough to be that guy. Let Sandy transition the puck on one pair, and Chabby on the other pair and we’re good.

The problem with saving money to allocate elsewhere is that it isn’t an asset unless you find a way to use it effectively.

Spending more on bottom of the roster players who don’t play many minutes and don’t cost much for what they bring is a waste when we already have enough cap space for those players, and we have kids that need the opportunities we have and look to have the potential to fill those spots well, cheaply.

Downgrading on talent for position also seems like downgrading the team, when one of the LD guys should be able to mature at RD.

Throw in that Chabby is a core player and associate captains of the team and you’re looking at making a move that downgrades the team in several areas on and off the ice to free up money for no reason.

Gotta try the simplest things first, and at the end of the day should really try a new coaching staff as well before trading away a player of Chabot’s calibre for a guy like Larsson as an example.
Sanderson is significantly faster on D than Chabot. That includes skating and decision making and its not close.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sanderson is significantly faster on D than Chabot. That includes skating and decision making and it’s not close.

If you say so….

In most cases watch what the family does. This wasn’t a mid season trade.
I tend to agree here. Similar thing happened with Hamonic, not that they are the same talent wise.

Young family moves here, they love it, he’s on the back half of his career and the team is up and coming. I mean for a family guy you could have the potential of playing on a team that could contend for a cup, while being able to raise your young family in one of the best cities in NA to do so.

He seems to love the city and fits in great with the guys. Time will tell obviously, but the magic 8 ball says “all signs point to yes”…. ;)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think Chabot transitions the puck from blue line to blue line better than Chychrun but I think once it's there, Chychrun is the better asset. He's got the huge shit and can score from anywhere. And he looks for it.

Regardless of how this plays out, we're clearly entering an era of having good problems to have.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
My thoughts from the moment we got Chychrun was move Chabot for a Zub or a better Zub. 5 AAV RD. If you can find one. Big. Physical. Pair the 2 stay at home RDs with the two PMD LDs and put the 3 AAV saved to use elsewhere.

I probably would have done it last summer with the idea of needing the cap for Pinto.

Where we are now, I'd want to know the Chychrun is staying.

It has more to do with the makeup of the team.

We can debate whether having Chabot on the PP over Chychrun or Sanderson is an upgrade or a sideways move or a downgrade. But it's at least a discussion with multiple points of view. Whatever one's view, running the PP with Chychrun and Sanderson wouldn't be a huge loss.

Then you have to look at overall balance. Maybe one of those LD becomes good on the right side. Maybe not. But if I could get a quality defensive defenceman they are cheaper than guys that post points. So I think you most likely could get a better balance in your pairs, be equal or better defensively, not lose anything on the PP and have 3M in cap space

I get it. Chabot is a pretty good player. But I think given what we've got, the play is moving him.
My first thought was that we would roll 3 pairs. When Chychrun first got here, I seem to remember him playing well with Branny for 5 or 6 games.
Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Hamonic
Chychrun - Branny

Have a great dman on the ice, fresh not played into dust, all game. I forgot that DJ only plays 3 lines and 2 pairs.

Reactions: NB613 and Ice-Tray

Schmautz11

Oct 5, 2007
As much as people shit on dorion, giroux + zub + church + tank all look like very shrewd additions right now.
The Tarasenko signing put the team in the cap mess it is in today. Dorion signed a player (as good as he is) who had next to no other options, with budget he didn't have. If he had offered him the approx $3m he had to spend, you never know what would have happened. It might have been the only offer he had as most UFAs had landed and a lot of teams had locked in their roster. But we sure know what happened when he signed him to the $5m. In my opinion, shrewd would not apply in this case.

Reactions: NB613

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think Chabot transitions the puck from blue line to blue line better than Chychrun but I think once it's there, Chychrun is the better asset. He's got the huge shit and can score from anywhere. And he looks for it.

Regardless of how this plays out, we're clearly entering an era of having good problems to have.

It has to do with his raw meat diet, more than anything else
1700572633022.png

Reactions: JD1

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
My first thought was that we would roll 3 pairs. When Chychrun first got here, I seem to remember him playing well with Branny for 5 or 6 games.
Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Hamonic
Chychrun - Branny

Have a great dman on the ice, fresh not played into dust, all game. I forgot that DJ only plays 3 lines and 2 pairs.
Having Chychrun playing third pairing minutes (less minutes than Hamonic) is not optimal, you may want to consider a rethinking that.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wanted walker last year before we made the chychrun trade. Who’s heading out to make space
Send Kublik and Brannstrom to whomever, for whatever. 4.5 out.

Sanderson-Walker
Chabot-Zub
Chych-JBD/Hamonic

Play the left side 22-25 minutes, play the right side 15-19

Walker can play with any of Chabot/Sanderson/Chych. We get our added RD, we even out the LD, we have Kleven to call up for the left side.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wanted walker last year before we made the chychrun trade. Who’s heading out to make space
What do you think he'd cost?

I suspect Tarasenko and Kubalik are gone next year, Maybe Brannstrom too. If that's the case, we have lots of flexibility going forward.

If we're talking this year, Brannstrom and Kubalik out opens up 4.5, Walker and Pinto in takes up ~3.5, gives us room for some callups.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
As much as people shit on dorion, giroux + zub + church + tank all look like very shrewd additions right now.

All of those players are making a positive impact. Tank is having a sneaky good season, not the same player offensively but he seems to be contributing all over the ice, whether it's backchecking or playing along the boards when not setting up or scoring.

Sean Walker would be a good, cheap-ish add to pair with Sanderson

That would be a very good add, not sure Ottawa has the capital to make it happen with the cap mess unless the Sens overpay to trade salary(ies).

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't think Sean Walker comes that cheap in a trade. He's playing a bigger role this season, there are very few RHD out there, and his cap hit is quite low. The Flyers have two open retention spots. If they offered to retain for an additional asset, they would have a huge market for Walker.

I don't think he gets a 1st as a rental, because teams will look at the role he is playing and write it off as someone getting that role by virtue of being on a rebuilding team. He's still probably seen as a #4 RHD or a luxury #5 for a stacked team.

With that said, it wouldn't surprise me if in a perfect storm the Flyers were able to get a late 1st or a protected 2025 or 2026 1st from a contender for him with some sort of cap considerations.

Ultimately, he probably costs a 2nd+. I get the Flyers basically got him as a cap dump to facilitate a bigger trade because he was coming off of a bad season, but with how few top 4 RHD will be available and the advantages of his low cap hit, I can't see them letting him go for anything short of a 2nd+. More if there is an extension. Add in that we'd have to move out cap, and it would complicate a trade and probably raise the cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad