Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
This is what I want, and want to know which of you no good layabouts disagree with this great idea.

This offseason:

1. Trade Chabot, Batherson & 1st for Rasmus Andersson
2. Sign UFA Willy Nylander for $11 million/year

F: $54.5
D: $28.2
G: $5

$87.7 Cap $88 2024-25

Tkachuk 8 Stutzle 8 Giroux 6.5
Joseph 3 Norris 8 Nylander 11
Greig 3 Pinto 2 Jarventie 1
Kelly 1 Chartier 1 Kastelic 1
McEwen 1

Chychrun 8 Andersson 4.2
Sanderson 8 Zub 4
Kleven 1 Brannstrom 2
JBD 1

Korp 4
Soo 1

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
This is what I want, and want to know which of you no good layabouts disagree with this great idea.

This offseason:

$87.7 Cap $88 2024-25

McEwen 1

Chychrun 8 Andersson 4.2
Sanderson 8 Zub 4
Kleven 1 Brannstrom 2
JBD 1

Korp 4
Soo 1

What makes Rasmus worth Chabot, Batherson and a 1st? Chabot and Rasmus 1 for 1 I could see. And Willy Nylander isn't choosing Ottawa if he gets to UFA.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Way too much given up on first deal, plus a lot of cap for Calgary to take on.

Nylander isn’t coming to Ottawa, and I wouldn’t give him 11.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
JBD has played 11 games this season. If 10+ of those were as an emergency recall, he is no longer waiver exempt. I don't remember if he was recalled earlier as a regular recall, sent down, and recalled again as an emergency recall.

After 9 games as an emergency recall, the Senators could have switched him to a regular recall, and the 10 game/30 day count could restart. I haven't been following closely enough to know his status.

Basically, emergency recall waiver exemption and standard waiver exemption are two separate counts. So if it is important to the team that he remain waiver exempt, they could theoretically get 18 games out of him by switching him to a regular recall at the 9th game (assuming their cap allowed for that).

I suspect they don't care about the waiver exemption because he is probably staying up here, and they can send someone else down to fit in his 805k once Chabot is cleared.
He was placed on the roster from Emergency loan on the 12th, I hadn't realized he'd played that many games this season, yeah, it's been 11 now, the last two of which were as a normal roster player, so he has 8 games until he needs to clear waivers, which gets us to mid Dec.

Chabot is expect back before then, so he probably gets sent down when Chabot returns,

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

This offseason:

$87.7 Cap $88 2024-25

McEwen 1

Chychrun 8 Andersson 4.2
Sanderson 8 Zub 4
Kleven 1 Brannstrom 2
JBD 1

Korp 4
Soo 1
Great idea, never going to happen.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
P
What makes Rasmus worth Chabot, Batherson and a 1st? Chabot and Rasmus 1 for 1 I could see. And Willy Nylander isn't choosing Ottawa if he gets to UFA.

He’s better than Chabot. Plays a more well rounded game, is much more physical, makes $4.2 for 2 more years and you have to get Calgary to do it.
Adding Batherson makes it a good haul, and we need to move the salary to add Nylander.

In the end for the cost of a 1st we get a better all around Dman who also plays the RS for $4.2 million, while massively upgrading on Batherson.

Look I know it’s not happening but IMO it’s a no brainer.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He was placed on the roster from Emergency loan on the 12th, I hadn't realized he'd played that many games this season, yeah, it's been 11 now, the last two of which were as a normal roster player, so he has 8 games until he needs to clear waivers, which gets us to mid Dec.

Chabot is expect back before then, so he probably gets sent down when Chabot returns,

Thank you for digging up the exact details.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
P

He’s better than Chabot. Plays a more well rounded game, is much more physical, makes $4.2 for 2 more years and you have to get Calgary to do it.
Adding Batherson makes it a good haul, and we need to move the salary to add Nylander.

In the end for the cost of a 1st we get a better all around Dman who also plays the RS for $4.2 million, while massively upgrading on Batherson.

Look I know it’s not happening but IMO it’s a no brainer.
It's not a no brainer, it's ugly asset management.

If CGY blew it up Anderson would be worth a first and a prospect. Could even be worth Batherson straight up. It's a massive overpayment.

Also in that scenario our D would be gutted before our window of contention is over if we were unable to sign Chychrun and the hypothetical Anderson.

With a team that is well built like ours you need to be very careful as to how much you shuffle the deck in the pursuit of fine tuning the team into a contender.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It's not a no brainer, it's ugly asset management.

If CGY blew it up Anderson would be worth a first and a prospect. Could even be worth Batherson straight up. It's a massive overpayment.

Also in that scenario our D would be gutted before our window of contention is over if we were unable to sign Chychrun and the hypothetical Anderson.

With a team that is well built like ours you need to be very careful as to how much you shuffle the deck in the pursuit of fine tuning the team into a contender.
A top pair RD is worth far, far more than a scoring winger with very few exceptions

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

This offseason:

$87.7 Cap $88 2024-25

McEwen 1

Chychrun 8 Andersson 4.2
Sanderson 8 Zub 4
Kleven 1 Brannstrom 2
JBD 1

Korp 4
Soo 1

That first trade is a haul I'd expect Edmonton to ask for either of their two franchise players. Andersson is a few tiers below that.

And not paying $11 mil for a winger. That kills our team salary structure.

Reactions: LiseL

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
That first trade is a haul I'd expect Edmonton to ask for either of their two franchise players. Andersson is a few tiers below that.

And not paying $11 mil for a winger. That kills our team salary structure.

IMG_3546.gif

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
On the topic of Nylander at 11M - The team salary structure doesn't really matter since all the big RFAs are now locked in. If Pinto or Greig or someone we don't know will breakout is in a position where they can ask for 11M as an RFA, that would be a good problem to have because it means a player vastly exceeded expectations.

11 will be the floor for Brady and Stutzle, not the ceiling.

With that said, there's very little chance Nylander would sign here anyways, but if there was a chance to get a franchise player at 11M, and the Senators somehow could make a move to open up that space, the salary structure would not be a concern.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
It’s miles off.
It really isn't.

You're assuming that the perfect trade partner is always out there but that's just not reality. In a vacuum sure but in a realistic trade scenario, when you are offering up the best player in the deal you aren't always going to get maximum return because there is rarely a lineup of teams willing to part with the range of assets you might be holding out for.

Case in point is Erik Karlsson. Drake Batherson is probably worth more than the 'haul' that SJ got . Chychrun was the same thing, albeit not a RD but he was the biggest D on the trade market (next to EK) and the return was not overwhelming. MacKenzie Weegar didnt factor into the FLA - CGY deal to the extent that you are saying.

Also, keep in mind that the OP was creating a scenario where Calgary wanted roster players and not futures, that's an important factor in the return you're going to get in the real world.
I wouldn't die on the hill that Drake Batherson gets Rasmus Anderson, yes it would take more but he could certainly be the centrepiece in a deal that gets Anderson.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
that was a great read. not just for what it takes to be a high performer, but wisdom for life.

crazy that people question this guys character.
Are you reading Erik karlsson takes to gain wisdom about life lol.

That .833% is misleading. 4 starts
.905 - Philly
.958 - Washington
.722 - Buffalo
.688 - Vancouver
The .833 isn’t misleading at all when we look at the numbers you have posted there.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
If the team isn't going to re-sign tank or kubalik, I would rather we trade them than hope for a crazy run in the playoffs. I realize tank has an NTC.

Crookshank is over a point a game for his last 10 games or so. I think he's going to be an option to replace kubalik.

Reactions: chipsens and Bileur

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Are you reading Erik karlsson takes to gain wisdom about life lol.

The .833 isn’t misleading at all when we look at the numbers you have posted there.

Yes I do it for every high performer.

I watched the MJ documentary series like 3 times and I don't even like basketball lol

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
On the topic of Nylander at 11M - The team salary structure doesn't really matter since all the big RFAs are now locked in. If Pinto or Greig or someone we don't know will breakout is in a position where they can ask for 11M as an RFA, that would be a good problem to have because it means a player vastly exceeded expectations.

11 will be the floor for Brady and Stutzle, not the ceiling.

With that said, there's very little chance Nylander would sign here anyways, but if there was a chance to get a franchise player at 11M, and the Senators somehow could make a move to open up that space, the salary structure would not be a concern.

Exactly!
It’s already all locked down, and you now have this core you can keep for 6 or 7 years.
I don’t see how you could hope for anything better than this. While of course it’s not going to happen - the point is it is possible to reconfigure the lineup to add a really good RD, and upgrade on Batherson while staying within the cap.

Tkachuk Stuzle
Norris Nylander
Greig Pinto

Sanderson Zub
Chychrun Andersson

Korpisalo
Sogaard

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Health permitting, we have a more than suitable Stanley Cup roster Dcore. We don't need to touch it.

Only spot we need a long-term solution for is that top line RW. Batherson is still developing and might become a reliable enough player to hold down that position. He easily has the talent level. Nylander is a comparable contextually.

My fantasy would be to acquire Laine to be Stutzle's shotgun sidepiece.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Laine

#76in26 babyyyyy

Reactions: HSF

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yes I do it for every high performer.

I watched the MJ documentary series like 3 times and I don't even like basketball lol
Karlsson ain’t no MJ.

And even then. Lesson from the MJ documentary is being a ruthless win obsessed prick is great when you’re gifted in what you do.

Try to be MJ in a local competitive men’s league lol. You’d just be the loser no one likes.

MJ does not apply to us. Unless you’re in the 0.01% of what you do on earth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad