Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Kubalik and a pick to San Jose for Zadina.

The pick isn't actually for Zadina, it's for San Jose taking on the greater salary in the deal, but that doesn't have to be public.

Zadina is not working in San Jose. I doubt they qualify him as most teams don't like the volatility of arbitration for replaceable players who might be in a position to get overpaid via arbitration due to their career stats (200+ GP).

There would be no guarantee that the Senators would qualify Zadina either, but it would be a change of scenery swap for both sides, with the Senators giving up an asset to compensate San Jose for taking on 1.4M in cap.

It would give the Senators cap flexibility, and bringing in a big name would obfuscate them giving up a pick to move out the cap, because everybody will just assume the pick is because Zadina is a 23 year old former 6th overall pick.
The sens don't need to add a pick to trade Kubalik. He has substantially more value than Zadina. They definitely do not need Zadina. Last type of player they need to be trading for. This team is already too soft. They need more motor and hard players to play against.

Health permitting, we have a more than suitable Stanley Cup roster Dcore. We don't need to touch it.

Only spot we need a long-term solution for is that top line RW. Batherson is still developing and might become a reliable enough player to hold down that position. He easily has the talent level. Nylander is a comparable contextually.

My fantasy would be to acquire Laine to be Stutzle's shotgun sidepiece.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Laine

#76in26 babyyyyy
I can't believe people want a player like Laine. This team has plenty of players that already play soft and don't buy in. He's a healthy scratch last night... It's actually such a wild concept to me that people complain about a coachs system and accountability then want pre madonnas who wont work. Do you think these coach's are miracle workers? Certain players don't compete or commit. Coach cant play for them They need more guys like Joseph, Grieg and Formenton. The sens have plenty of skill that is not the issue. Wish they had found a way to get Barbashev. I am not losing out hope on Formenton. With previous management gone maybe there is a relationship to be salvaged. Who knows if anything comes from this team canada situation at this point.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It really isn't.

You're assuming that the perfect trade partner is always out there but that's just not reality. In a vacuum sure but in a realistic trade scenario, when you are offering up the best player in the deal you aren't always going to get maximum return because there is rarely a lineup of teams willing to part with the range of assets you might be holding out for.

Case in point is Erik Karlsson. Drake Batherson is probably worth more than the 'haul' that SJ got . Chychrun was the same thing, albeit not a RD but he was the biggest D on the trade market (next to EK) and the return was not overwhelming. MacKenzie Weegar didnt factor into the FLA - CGY deal to the extent that you are saying.

Also, keep in mind that the OP was creating a scenario where Calgary wanted roster players and not futures, that's an important factor in the return you're going to get in the real world.
I wouldn't die on the hill that Drake Batherson gets Rasmus Anderson, yes it would take more but he could certainly be the centrepiece in a deal that gets Anderson.
Everything about our D rolling forward has to start with a clear signal from Chychrun on whether he wants to stay. If he does, that opens up a lot of possibilities.

Assuming he does, getting rid of Chabot's contract is in my opinion the top organizational priority. Left side you run with Sanderson, Chychrun, Brannstrom and Kleven.

If you move Batherson and Chabot in one deal, that's 13 M in cap out the door. Getting a decent RD that is a bit physical and clearly a top 4 calibre player provides much better balance. Ideally I'd like a guy that's bigger and more physical than Rasmussen but he's a decent player. You pick up 8.5 in cap space by making that deal and that should be plenty to acquire a scoring winger.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Everything about our D rolling forward has to start with a clear signal from Chychrun on whether he wants to stay. If he does, that opens up a lot of possibilities.

Assuming he does, getting rid of Chabot's contract is in my opinion the top organizational priority. Left side you run with Sanderson, Chychrun, Brannstrom and Kleven.

If you move Batherson and Chabot in one deal, that's 13 M in cap out the door. Getting a decent RD that is a bit physical and clearly a top 4 calibre player provides much better balance. Ideally I'd like a guy that's bigger and more physical than Rasmussen but he's a decent player. You pick up 8.5 in cap space by making that deal and that should be plenty to acquire a scoring winger.
Chabot: 8 AAV,,, true salary 2024-2025/2026/2027 10 M, salary 2027/2028 8 M. A smooth skating D man who can move the puck, but does not produce the points associated with a quality offensive defensemen. Poor defensively. Somewhat fragile/injury prone

Batherson: 4.975 AAV...true salary 2024-2025/2026/2027 is 6.5 M. A smooth skating forward, Does not produce points at the rate that quality offensive forward should. Poor defensively. Not physical. Questionable compete level.

JD1.. I have some doubt that these two will go, less sweeteners. And/or salary retention.

Reactions: LiseL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Was thinking about next year, and redistributing Tanks money assuming he's priced himself out of a return;

Tkachuk Stützle Giroux
GreigNorrisJoseph
Silfverberg/Foligno?PintoBatherson
MacEwenChartierKastelic
extra: Jarventie
Chychrun JBD
Sanderson Zub
ChabotDemelo/Dumba/Tanev?
extra: Hamonic
Korpisalo
Forsberg

22 man roster, the bold being UFA, having about 8 mil to make it happen. Is it doable, are there better fits? Does that take away too much scoring punch?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chabot: 8 AAV,,, true salary 2024-2025/2026/2027 10 M, salary 2027/2028 8 M. A smooth skating D man who can move the puck, but does not produce the points associated with a quality offensive defensemen. Poor defensively. Somewhat fragile/injury prone

Batherson: 4.975 AAV...true salary 2024-2025/2026/2027 is 6.5 M. A smooth skating forward, Does not produce points at the rate that quality offensive forward should. Poor defensively. Not physical. Questionable compete level.

JD1.. I have some doubt that these two will go, less sweeteners. And/or salary retention.
Batherson has massive value due to his contract and potential. Plus one dimensional wingers are easier to hide.

Chabot I am not sure either. Most sens fans dont want to face the truth here. Two things seem to hamper this mind set. Fans around here dont seem to think injuries will happen/matter all that much. The salary cap is an asset. Any player that doesnt perform to their cap hit has minimal value as every team thats any good is pressed against it.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Was thinking about next year, and redistributing Tanks money assuming he's priced himself out of a return;

TkachukStützleGiroux
GreigNorrisJoseph
MacEwenChartierKastelic
ChychrunJBD
SandersonZub
Korpisalo
Forsberg

22 man roster, the bold being UFA, having about 8 mil to make it happen. Is it doable, are there better fits? Does that take away too much scoring punch?
That 4th line... Add a bolded spot for macewen

Probably need a better forward which probably means a worse dman.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

TkachukStützleGiroux
GreigNorrisJoseph
MacEwenChartierKastelic
ChychrunJBD
SandersonZub
Korpisalo
Forsberg

Here's a list of free agent Left Wings (source CapFriendly). I guess I'm thinking of options if Tarasenko doesn't re-sign. Highest salaries at the top of the list & descending as you go down the list (except Tarasenko).

Guentzel
Mantha
Bertuzzi
Zucker
Vrana
Niederreiter
Duclair
Mittlestadt (listed as C & LW, he's a RFA though)
Carrier
Van Riemsdyk
Tarasenko (why not list him, he might resign maybe)

There's also some other free agents not on the list that could be listed as both RW & LW (just a FYI).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Here's a list of free agent Left Wings (source CapFriendly). I guess I'm thinking of options if Tarasenko doesn't re-sign. Highest salaries at the top of the list & descending as you go down the list (except Tarasenko).

Guentzel
Mantha
Bertuzzi
Zucker
Vrana
Niederreiter
Duclair
Mittlestadt (listed as C & LW, he's a RFA though)
Carrier
Van Riemsdyk
Tarasenko (why not list him, he might resign maybe)

There's also some other free agents not on the list that could be listed as both RW & LW (just a FYI).
My goal was to redistribute the money towards D as a bit of a what if scenario, tbh, not replace Tarasenko's impact with a direct replacement. I think with Pinto in the mix, Greig can move into the top 6, so I'd be looking for a 3rd line winger, where as most of those guys are top 6.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Agreed on all this…
Just a note but the RD was Rasmus Andersson not Rasmussen.
Andersson is a #1 RD 6’1 205 lbs and he plays a pretty gritty game.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

TkachukStützleGiroux
GreigNorrisJoseph
MacEwenChartierKastelic
ChychrunJBD
SandersonZub
Korpisalo
Forsberg

Crookshank is on a bit of a tear in the AHL right now. I think he'll finish near ppg this season and force his way on the big team.

I'd swap him for Silf/Foligno and add more dough to the dman acquisition.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
My goal was to redistribute the money towards D as a bit of a what if scenario, tbh, not replace Tarasenko's impact with a direct replacement. I think with Pinto in the mix, Greig can move into the top 6, so I'd be looking for a 3rd line winger, where as most of those guys are top 6.
Yep, I could see that part, but also noticed some new names on 2nd line wing slot. So, thought I just fire out some info about that topic.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

TkachukStützleGiroux
GreigNorrisJoseph
MacEwenChartierKastelic
ChychrunJBD
SandersonZub
Korpisalo
Forsberg

Doesn't look as potent on paper as this year unfortunately. Gotta hope Greig fully replaces Tarasenko's production and that Giroux doesn't start his decline. If so that is still a strong lineup.

We also need Batherson so find some consistency (and chemistry) and play like the player he is capable of being. Having him outside of the top 6 was not part of the plan and weakens the lineup. Batherson from 2021 is a great player and that pushes Jo down to the third line which is how it should be.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm a big fan of addition by subtraction. Basically bump guys off the roster who don't belong. Or, alternatively, just bump them down a line where they will be more likely to succeed.

My idea of a dynasty is one where every player could be slotted higher if you traded them away.

So, who on the roster is hurting us, relative to the role we've got them slotted into?

Reactions: NB613

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm a big fan of addition by subtraction. Basically bump guys off the roster who don't belong. Or, alternatively, just bump them down a line where they will be more likely to succeed.

My idea of a dynasty is one where every player could be slotted higher if you traded them away.

So, who on the roster is hurting us, relative to the role we've got them slotted into?
When fully healthy? Nobody.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Crookshank is on a bit of a tear in the AHL right now. I think he'll finish near ppg this season and force his way on the big team.

I like Angus but his ability to produce isn't going to be what puts him on a NHL team.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

And do what with that cap space though?

I mean we already have a solid top 9, especially with Tank in there.

We don’t need more cap space, we need more good players.

I’m not really a fan of trading stars for lesser quantity, especially when we don’t really have room or need for it. DBC into Tank a later first, and Kubalik? Absolutely…

But Chabot into a lesser Zub and room to spend on the 4th line or bottom pairing? I guess I just don’t see the point.

I mean we could forgo signing Tank, spend 5 mill on another Zub, and have one of the strongest D corps of n the league.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Everyone needs to just accept that we bought Tarasenko for 1 year, he won’t be re-signing unless he has a terrible year in which case why would we want him.

Reactions: NyQuil

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
And do what with that cap space though?

I mean we already have a solid top 9, especially with Tank in there.

We don’t need more cap space, we need more good players.

I’m not really a fan of trading stars for lesser quantity, especially when we don’t really have room or need for it. DBC into Tank a later first, and Kubalik? Absolutely…

But Chabot into a lesser Zub and room to spend on the 4th line or bottom pairing? I guess I just don’t see the point.

I mean we could forgo signing Tank, spend 5 mill on another Zub, and have one of the strongest D corps of n the league.
My thoughts from the moment we got Chychrun was move Chabot for a Zub or a better Zub. 5 AAV RD. If you can find one. Big. Physical. Pair the 2 stay at home RDs with the two PMD LDs and put the 3 AAV saved to use elsewhere.

I probably would have done it last summer with the idea of needing the cap for Pinto.

Where we are now, I'd want to know the Chychrun is staying.

It has more to do with the makeup of the team.

We can debate whether having Chabot on the PP over Chychrun or Sanderson is an upgrade or a sideways move or a downgrade. But it's at least a discussion with multiple points of view. Whatever one's view, running the PP with Chychrun and Sanderson wouldn't be a huge loss.

Then you have to look at overall balance. Maybe one of those LD becomes good on the right side. Maybe not. But if I could get a quality defensive defenceman they are cheaper than guys that post points. So I think you most likely could get a better balance in your pairs, be equal or better defensively, not lose anything on the PP and have 3M in cap space

I get it. Chabot is a pretty good player. But I think given what we've got, the play is moving him.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I like Angus but his ability to produce isn't going to be what puts him on a NHL team.
26 goals in the AHL isnt anything to sneeze at. 4th in the league among rookies and led belleville (AHL has weird rookie rules?). Pretty similar numbers to Formemton and he looks like he might improve on that this season.

I get that his jam is awesome, but why do you assume he won't score at the NHL level? (FWIW, I had suggested him for a 3rd line role in my post).

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
26 goals in the AHL isnt anything to sneeze at. 4th in the league among rookies and led belleville (AHL has weird rookie rules?). Pretty similar numbers to Formemton and he looks like he might improve on that this season.

I get that his jam is awesome, but why do you assume he won't score at the NHL level?
While I think he could play in the NHL some day apparently his defensive game is very weak that was according to troy mann last year. I dont think there is any comparison to Formenton though. Formenton did it when he was 20 years old, was playing on team canada WJC as an 18 year old. He is an elite defensive player and PKer. Formenton is also 6'3 Crookshank is 5'11. Id be all for giving him a shot if he earns it. He has a good motor and nice hands in tight and around the net.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
While I think he could play in the NHL some day apparently his defensive game is very weak that was according to troy mann last year. I dont think there is any comparison to Formenton though. Formenton did it when he was 20 years old, was playing on team canada WJC as an 18 year old. He is an elite defensive player and PKer. Formenton is also 6'3 Crookshank is 5'11. Id be all for giving him a shot if he earns it. He has a good motor and nice hands in tight and around the net.
Different players for sure. Crooksy is all forecheck. I've liked his defensive game in my viewings, but formenton is in a different league in that category for sure.

I'll stake the good dumbdick name on him making the NHL next season and being more than a cup of coffee guy. i think he'll pot 10-15 in his rookie nhl season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Different players for sure. Crooksy is all forecheck. I've liked his defensive game in my viewings, but formenton is in a different league in that category for sure.

I'll stake the good dumbdick name on him making the NHL next season and being
more than a cup of coffee guy.
I think this team needs motor, I wouldnt be against it either. If the sens have to trade Kubalik to make room for Pinto id like to see him get a shot 3rd line LW.

Reactions: dumbdick

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Everyone needs to just accept that we bought Tarasenko for 1 year, he won’t be re-signing unless he has a terrible year in which case why would we want him.
Why would we accept that, though? It's just speculation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad