Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think you’re only out of touch in terms of responding to my post. I quoted the constant use of the term “cap hell” and made zero comments about people making mock line ups to work the numbers.

You have introduced the term “mismanaged” and formed your post around that term. Cool, but not really what my post was about.

To your points; I agree that PD made some choices that put us in a bind, but we’ll have to see how it pans out when Pinto is on the verge of returning. As it stands we played one game short handed, we’re able to add bodies to fill all the holes we had, and don’t have to move anyone out at this point.

Andlauer said “a bit of a pickle”, which doesn’t sound a whole lot like “cap hell” to me. Cap Hell sounds a lot like a really bad situation with some really negative consequences, truly one man’s Hell could be another’s Heaven though…

Some people hate pickles so maybe that is Andlauers idea of Hell, even just a bit of a pickle….

I mean he was definitly held accountable for the gross negligence surrounding the Daddy trade.

Not much more could be expected to happen.
Dorion could have been suspended without pay.

That would punish the offender and not his team, although I do think the team needs to pay some price for the negligence. A first round pick seems to be excessive for this issue. I think the Las Vegas team could have requested Dadonov or his agent to confirm what they were told by Dorion about his No Trade List after the trade was made. They could have done that immediately after acquiring him. They were negligent in not doing that. The voided trade could have been avoided! :)

I am still not clear on whether Dorion resigned and will not be paid any more by the Senators, or if he has been removed from the GM position but will still receive his compensation due under his contract.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
It's because I said that we would have to make a decision about whether to re-signed him at 38 years old, which we will. Who knows if he'll still be effective at that point, my guess is if anything his cap hit will come down as he ages but maybe he prices himself out of Ottawa. What I never suggested was that we have to lose him along with the money we're paying Tank and Kubalik to make room for Chabot. We will, however need to adjust, like you did with your line.
My take: Giroux will retire with as a Sens

Reactions: Bileur and NB613

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Dishonest? I am not sure if you understand what this word means. Because you're more guilty of it than anyone. You're showing a line up that has Chabot in it and Giroux and Kubalik are gone to vs cap compliant. How else should I evaluate that?

So do you believe that Chabot is the teams most important and best defender. That's the argument you are presenting when saying his toi is the highest thus justifying your postion that he should not be traded. Which really makes me question. If you are watching the same games the rest of us are.

I believe this team is absolutely better with another RD in the mold of Zub than Chabot. You may disagree and that's fine. So yes the goal is to get better solve the cap problems and add futures.
Chabot is not a 3rd pairing D on this team but the team would be VERY MUCH better off with another Zub over him. If we could 1 for 1 him for Adam Larsson or Anderson I would do it in a heartbeat - I'd even give up our lower first this year as well.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chabot is not a 3rd pairing D on this team but the team would be VERY MUCH better off with another Zub over him. If we could 1 for 1 him for Adam Larsson or Anderson I would do it in a heartbeat - I'd even give up our lower first this year as well.
Chabot is clearly not a 3rd pairing D on this team. If you want move him in the off season for a different balance on the back end that’s fair but calling him 3rd pair is silly.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Unless he or Chychrun play their offside then yes Chabot is the 3rd LD. Anyways I would give up extra for Anderson but not Larsson. Larsson is 31 two years from UFA. They would need a sweetener from Seattle in my opinion. Not likely to happen but to get cap compliant and better as a team it seems like the most logical way to do it. Dealing from a strength for a weakness.

Reactions: Icelevel

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m willing to wait and see how Chabot evolves on the right side. It’s only been about 10 games including pre season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m willing to wait and see how Chabot evolves on the right side. It’s only been about 10 games including pre season.
Completely fair. It's looking more and more like Kubalik is the only other viable option to trade to make room for Pinto. Brannstrom is too valuable and doesn't save enough space.

Reactions: Icelevel and Bileur

Salva Mea

Apr 4, 2018
trade kubalik= solve all cap space problems

somewhere arizona or pred or duck , trade for second round pick or something, hi is lost here anyway

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Completely fair. It's looking more and more like Kubalik is the only other viable option to trade to make room for Pinto. Brannstrom is too valuable and doesn't save enough space.
With everybody healthy and no LTIR to draw on, we have about 1.6 mil for Pinto and extras this season. We can actually fit him in with no moves, depending on what he signs for, but it will mean running with a 20 man roster for at least a few games (or a lot of paper transactions on off days).

The reason the cap situation was so dire to start the year was because Norris wasn't ready, or on LTIR, so we were running with a 21 man roster and only 20 guys actually available, while trying to fit Pinto in at ~2 mil.

As an example, with Pinto signed at 900k, Brannstrom traded and JBD in the lineup as our 6th D, we can have a 20 man roster with just shy of 2 mil for extras or callups, that's enough to have MacEwen or Jarventie, and Kleven or Mantipalo as our extras.

Tkachuk Stützle Giroux
Tarasenko Norris Joseph
Greig Pinto Kubalik
Kelly Chartier Kastelic

Chychrun JBD
Sanderson Zub
chabot Hamonic

Korpisalo
Forsberg

ext: Jarventie, Kleven

caphit $83.415

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
With everybody healthy and no LTIR to draw on, we have about 1.6 mil for Pinto and extras this season. We can actually fit him in with no moves, depending on what he signs for, but it will mean running with a 20 man roster for at least a few games (or a lot of paper transactions on off days).

The reason the cap situation was so dire to start the year was because Norris wasn't ready, or on LTIR, so we were running with a 21 man roster and only 20 guys actually available, while trying to fit Pinto in at ~2 mil.

As an example, with Pinto signed at 900k, Brannstrom traded and JBD in the lineup as our 6th D, we can have a 20 man roster with just shy of 2 mil for extras or callups, that's enough to have MacEwen or Jarventie, and Kleven or Mantipalo as our extras.
The team plays 15 games in December. To think that they wont need extra room to carry a normal roster with all the injuries they are going to have is pretty unrealistic. I have been saying it all year and all summer but pundits wont seem to acknowledge that injuries are very real. This team is going to have to run with a 23 man roster with its condensed schedule.

For example if all the D men are healthy JBD will have to go through waivers to make room and they cant sent down Hamonic. I dont think they want to lose JBD for nothing. Or any of the other players they have been using this year.

Trading Brannstrom doesnt make sense especially with the decision this team will have to make on Chychrun/Chabot and D men are simply way more valuable from a depth perspective. They already lost half the D core this year..... Someone is going to go the only option is likely Kubalik at this point. He is also a UFA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The team plays 15 games in December. To think that they wont need extra room to carry a normal roster with all the injuries they are going to have is pretty unrealistic.

For example if all the D men are healthy JBD will have to go through waivers to make room and they cant sent down Hamonic. I dont think they want to lose JBD for nothing. Or any of the other players they have been using this year.

Trading Brannstrom doesnt make sense especially with the decision this team will have to make on Chychrun/Chabot and D men are simply way more valuable from a depth perspective.
It's certainly not ideal, but JBD won't need to clear waivers since he's up on an emergency recall, so he actually has to go down as soon as Chabot is ready.

If we do decide to trade someone to give us added flexibility, I lean towards Kubalik as well, I'm just saying that there are other options available

Reactions: DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Chabot slots above Chychrun right now no matter how many times it’s posted in here that Chych has made him redundant.

He has not. He is an excellent add and has a wicked shot and good offensive instincts, but Chabot is still the better player.

My guess is that we don’t trade away any of our good players since we don’t actually need to, and continue to sign better players to surround them then we typically have been.

Sucks to watch people on this board turn on Chabby.

Skid

Sep 26, 2005
Canada
It's certainly not ideal, but JBD won't need to clear waivers since he's up on an emergency recall, so he actually has to go down as soon as Chabot is ready.
I was not aware of this. I’m sure many aren’t either. Thanks for this!

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
JBD has played 11 games this season. If 10+ of those were as an emergency recall, he is no longer waiver exempt. I don't remember if he was recalled earlier as a regular recall, sent down, and recalled again as an emergency recall.

After 9 games as an emergency recall, the Senators could have switched him to a regular recall, and the 10 game/30 day count could restart. I haven't been following closely enough to know his status.

Basically, emergency recall waiver exemption and standard waiver exemption are two separate counts. So if it is important to the team that he remain waiver exempt, they could theoretically get 18 games out of him by switching him to a regular recall at the 9th game (assuming their cap allowed for that).

I suspect they don't care about the waiver exemption because he is probably staying up here, and they can send someone else down to fit in his 805k once Chabot is cleared.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Kubalik and a pick to San Jose for Zadina.

The pick isn't actually for Zadina, it's for San Jose taking on the greater salary in the deal, but that doesn't have to be public.

Zadina is not working in San Jose. I doubt they qualify him as most teams don't like the volatility of arbitration for replaceable players who might be in a position to get overpaid via arbitration due to their career stats (200+ GP).

There would be no guarantee that the Senators would qualify Zadina either, but it would be a change of scenery swap for both sides, with the Senators giving up an asset to compensate San Jose for taking on 1.4M in cap.

It would give the Senators cap flexibility, and bringing in a big name would obfuscate them giving up a pick to move out the cap, because everybody will just assume the pick is because Zadina is a 23 year old former 6th overall pick.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

The pick isn't actually for Zadina, it's for San Jose taking on the greater salary in the deal, but that doesn't have to be public.

Zadina is not working in San Jose. I doubt they qualify him as most teams don't like the volatility of arbitration for replaceable players who might be in a position to get overpaid via arbitration due to their career stats (200+ GP).

There would be no guarantee that the Senators would qualify Zadina either, but it would be a change of scenery swap for both sides, with the Senators giving up an asset to compensate San Jose for taking on 1.4M in cap.

It would give the Senators cap flexibility, and bringing in a big name would obfuscate them giving up a pick to move out the cap, because everybody will just assume the pick is because Zadina is a 23 year old former 6th overall pick.
Don’t see how he fits, “if” team was healthy he’d be on the fourth line.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Lol, you don’t need to add a sweetener to Kubalik in January. That’s nuts.

Reactions: Sens With Benefits

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
JBD has played 11 games this season. If 10+ of those were as an emergency recall, he is no longer waiver exempt. I don't remember if he was recalled earlier as a regular recall, sent down, and recalled again as an emergency recall.

After 9 games as an emergency recall, the Senators could have switched him to a regular recall, and the 10 game/30 day count could restart. I haven't been following closely enough to know his status.

Basically, emergency recall waiver exemption and standard waiver exemption are two separate counts. So if it is important to the team that he remain waiver exempt, they could theoretically get 18 games out of him by switching him to a regular recall at the 9th game (assuming their cap allowed for that).

I suspect they don't care about the waiver exemption because he is probably staying up here, and they can send someone else down to fit in his 805k once Chabot is cleared.
Why do we think JBD was an emergency recall?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Why do we think JBD was an emergency recall?
NHL teams can perform an emergency recall if at any point they A) fall below either 18 healthy, game-available skaters or two healthy, game-available goaltenders on their active roster and B) have less than the league minimum salary plus $100,000 in available cap space.

I believe they qualified for (B), 875k or less can be emergency recall, as they didn’t have the cap space.

Edit: they might have qualified for (a) as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad